[Deck Advice] Got no love in Casual Play.. Help me with my deck!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all, I'm just getting back in to Magic after not playing for years. I've heard that U/B control is not as popular as it used to be, but I would like to build one regardless. I am trying to use only cards from Magic 2013 and Innistrad block so they will still be in cycle when Ravnica is released. I wanted to try a small combo of Counterlash into Stormtide Leviathan but I was thinking that there will not be an opportunity to leave 6 mana open for the opponent's turn. Any input you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Instants - 20 
(4) Dissipate
(4) Rewind
(2) Negate
(4) Think Twice
(2) Vapor Snag
(2) Murder
(2) Counterlash

Sorceries - 7
(4) Duress
(2) Divination
(1) Killing Wave

Enchants - 2
(1) Curse of Oblivion
(1) Exquisite Blood

Artifacts - 1
(1) Runechanter's Pike

Creatures - 8
(4) Delver of Secrets
(1) Tamiyo, Moon Sage
(1) Jace, Memory Adept
(1) Stormtide Leviathan
(1) Talrand, Sky Summoner

Lands - 22
(4) Drowned Catacomb
(7) Swamp
(11) Island

Sideboard 
(2) Vapor Snag

(2) Murder
(4) Essence Scatter
(4) Evil Twin
(1) Runechanter's Pike
(2) Negate

Moving to Standard Deck Help.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
bump
So if you're trying to prep for a post-rotation deck, get rid of all Vapor Snags. Killing Wave hurts you too, and that curse is out of place.

What is this exactly? A pseudo-control mill deck? Just some cards prepping for Stormtide Leviathan? I think before anyone can help you, you should clearly state what it is you want to do, and how much $ you're willing to invest. I'd also check out the return to ravnica spoilers to see if there's anything there that tickles your fancy. I could maybe see swapping out black for green, with a bunch of removal and Quirion Dryad, or using the ravnica dual lands and going into 3 colors.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

So if you're trying to prep for a post-rotation deck, get rid of all Vapor Snags. Killing Wave hurts you too, and that curse is out of place.

What is this exactly? A pseudo-control mill deck? Just some cards prepping for Stormtide Leviathan? I think before anyone can help you, you should clearly state what it is you want to do, and how much $ you're willing to invest. I'd also check out the return to ravnica spoilers to see if there's anything there that tickles your fancy. I could maybe see swapping out black for green, with a bunch of removal and Quirion Dryad, or using the ravnica dual lands and going into 3 colors.

This will help.

In most cases, only having 8 creatures is going to be bad.  It looks like you're trying to go B/U Delver.  You might want to try G/U or R/U instead.
I have a B/U Control deck myself and am thinking of going B/U/W in RtR for more removal options, since Doom Blade, Go for the Throat, and Black Sun's Zenith are all going away. Put in the new U/W destroy all creatures spell for board sweeping and add in some Oblivion Ring for good all around spot removal.

My version currently uses Wurmcoil Engine and Griselbrand for win cons, so I'm hoping there's more options in October.
Sign In to post comments