A Hairless Thoctar contest, Alara Part 4; Shriek of Flame

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
First we went to Bant and met Lisha.
Then we went to Esper and met Crucius.
After that, we went to Grixis to avoid the Bone Heaps.
Next stop; Jund, to witness the Shriek of Flame.

"Dragons don't go peacefully into death. When an ancient has become to feeble to defend its territory, it goes out with a bang. In a ritual known as the Shriek of Flame, a dragon finds an unstable volcano, flies high above the crater, then plunges into a shrieking death-dive straight into the magma. A fiery cataclysm erupts on impact, and many lowland groups believe that all volcanic eruptions are the result of the death of a dragon."

Your mission, should you choose to accept it (and really, why wouldn't you) is to design a card that you feel captures the flavor of a Shriek of Flame.

DESIGN GUIDELINES
1. Your card must be red. It may be any other colors in addition to red.
1b. Your card is allowed to use non-Jund colors. The Shriek of Flame isn't a character or phenomenon exclusive to pre-Conflux Alara, so if you want to design a card that might take place in a post-Conflux world, you may do so should you desire.
2. Your card must involve dragons in some way, if not in mechanics, than in flavor.

Given the description of Shriek of Flame, I would encourage you to design an instant or sorcery, though if you feel you can somehow design an enchantment or land or creature that captures the feel, you may do so at your own peril. I will tease you relentlessly if your design is off the mark th, so beware. D:<

CONTEST RULES
1. You have two days to design.
2. You can only enter once.
3. You may change your design any time before the deadline.

If you have any further questions, feel fry to ask.
Good luck and have fun!
Shriek of Flame

Instant
Uncommon
As an additional cost to cast Shriek of Flame, sacrifice a creature. Shriek of Flame deals damage equal to that creature's power to each creature and player.
If you sacrifice a dragon this way, deal twice as much damage and this damage can't be prevented.
Shriek of Flame

Tribal Sorcery – Dragon (R)

As an additional cost to cast Shriek of Flame, sacrifice a Dragon and a Mountain.
Destroy all permanents with converted mana cost 5 or less. Shriek of Flame deals 5 damage to each player.

When a dragon dies, the world hears.
Embrace imagination. Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block
More
Each of its nine tails is imbued with supernatural power, and it can live for a thousand years. My Standard deck: Setting Sun
108516289 wrote:
Think of how Neo couldn't beat the robots, but they kept him around anyways to defeat Agent Smith. Sure, the robots might not like having a Neo running rampant because instead of playing their favorite 4 drop fatty robot, they have to play a bunch of one mana Matrixs to contain him, but at least Neo keeps Agent Smith from reanimating an Iona on turn two.
139359831 wrote:
Are you saying I'm trying to blame my loss on something? I don't care that I lost, I care that he's a sore loser, and a cheater, and a liar.
144902215 wrote:
CKY, are you bad at anything?
144902215 wrote:
I really enjoy imagining this from Kevin's perspective. Because in Kevin's world, Rosewater actually reads everything he types. Mark is sitting there right now, reading this, and thinking "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled. . ." Or some such. He chuckles low, then clicks on "The Best Of KEVINSET" and says "Yes, this'll do just fine. A busty lady with banding who deals direct damage to Zones!? Why this will be the star of my next set, and no one will ever believe you Kevin." Then he closes his Macbook, so his servant may move it out of the way, while another servant puts a Fetal Richard Garfield Clone lathered in Steak Sauce in front of him. Then Mark Feasts. I mean, In KevinWorld, Mark is reading the very words I'm typing as well. Heck, in KevinWorld maybe I am Mark.
99964981 wrote:
I'm beginning to think CKY may be anime in real life...
57150868 wrote:
Don't go anywhere CKY, I need to crash dramatically through your window and propose marriage and I don't want you throwing off my paradrop.
63588923 wrote:
[In response to a thread about how hard grading is] Upon reading this, I've found myself completely unable to operate in the world. I tried to decide what to eat for breakfast, and pondered the vast consequences of my choice. How do I balance my dietary needs against my desire to eat good-tasting food? Should I factor in how long it takes to prepare? Cereal is ready in moments, but bacon takes longer to cook. Then there is the impact on other industries. Do people in the cereal industry deserve to be employed more than people in the bacon industry? Which industry should I support? I don't even have the data regarding HOW MUCH the cereal industry benefits from me eating a bowl of cereal, or how much the bacon industry benefits from me eating a side of bacon. How can I compare two qualities I can't even quantify? And let's not forget the milk on the cereal. In addition to determining whether or not milk is healthy for me, how much that benefits the milk industry, and how much the people in the milk industry deserve my support, we have to factor in the fact that cows are put under brutal conditions in order to collect thier milk. Of course, the same goes for the pigs, and then they get killed. Of course, I really like bacon. So I need to come up with a scale that compares the value of cow happiness to pig happiness to my happiness. What trade-offs am I willing to make here? Does the fact that the pig gets put out of its misery count as a plus or a minus? Isn't bacon bad for me anyway? Deciding what to eat for breakfast (or any meal) is impossible. Help me!
104339228 wrote:
I must admit chinkeeyong, you have the most interesting character ideas; and you play them well.
144902215 wrote:
Anyway, you'd be surprised about Time Stop. When I first saw that card as a relatively new player I didn't see its full potential until I read the reminder text. Is it that unintuitive, though? Mine I mean. What is possibility? Is it possible for me to type these words with my tusks? No, because I don't have tusks. Although I am now tempted to go buy some - obviously not from poachers or whatever - and use them as typing apparatus. I could be the best secretary ever. "What's your words per minute sir?" "Well, only six, but I use these tusks to type them." "You're hired!" That was the interview. And is anyone else disappointed that "apparati" is not the plural form of apparatus? I just could strangle a dictionary, because "apparatuses" is a real word. I guess it sounds pretty cool. I'll call them my Apparatusks.
Shriek of Flame
Instant
Target creature gains ": This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn" until end of turn.
If ~ is cast from your graveyard, sacrifice a creature at the end of turn. That creature deals damage to each creature and each player equal to it's power.
Flashback
When one thing ends in flame, another begins in the fire.

Decks
Modern

Bloody Fangs

Cruel Master

Life Unbound

Survival of the Fittest

EDH

The Indomitable Doran, the Siege Tower

Mimeomancy The Mimeoplasm

Cube

360 Pauper "Colour Basics"

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

Shriek of Flame

Enchantment - Aura

Enchant Dragon creature
When enchanted creature dies, ~ becomes a Mountain with ': This mountain deals one damage to each creature and player'.

"A dragon's legacy is much more than what they did in their long lives. The 'Shriek of Flame' makes sure of that."
—Peregrine Silentlight, Dragon observer
Shriek of Flame
Instant
As an Additional Cost to cast ~ sacrifice a Dragon and a Mountain.
~ deals damage equal to the sacrificed Dragon's power plus 3 to each opponent. For each opponent damaged this way ~ also deals that much damage to that players Creatures.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Shriek of Flame
Tribal Enchantment - Dragon
Whenever a dragon creature dies you may sacrifice a mountain. If you do, that creature deals X damage to each creature without flying and each player, where X is that creature's power.
Shriek of Flame

Sorcery (R)
As an additional cost to cast Shriek of Flame, sacrifice a creature.  Shriek of Flame deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature's power to each creature without flying and each player, then each player sacrifices a number of lands equal to its toughness.
Dragons die as they lived -- full of fire and fury, caring nothing for the pain wrought in their wakes

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."
On Worldbuilding - On Crafting Aliens - Pillars of Art and Flavor - Simulationism, Narritivism, and Gamism - Shub-Niggurath in D&D
THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Shriek of Flame
Enchantment
If a Dragon would die, everything dies instead.

This isn't a real submission. 
Shriek of Flame
Enchantment

This is a work of art.
Shriek of Flame
Enchantment

Too late, I'm pre-emptively ending the contest and declaring you the winner.

+300 BRAGGING RIGHTS

Thanks for playing everyone, see you next time!

Please for the love of god don't take this seriously.
Shriek of Flame
Enchantment

Too late, I'm pre-emptively ending the contest and declaring you the winner.

+300 BRAGGING RIGHTS

Thanks for playing everyone, see you next time!

Please for the love of god don't take this seriously.

I'm suing you if he actually does win.
Shriek of Flame
Sorcery
Target creature becomes a 5/5 red Dragon with flying and target land becomes a mountain. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
, Exile Shriek of Flame from your graveyard: Destroy target Dragon and target Mountain.

"And so Tivadar called upon the mages of the East, and within their alliance, he cleansed the land of the Goblin Plague." - A Historical Recollection of the Thorn Vol. IX

Original

Shriek of Flame
Instant
Choose one or both: Destroy target Dragon; or Destroy target Mountain.

Placeholder maybe. You guys all made the cards that my mind would have been able to think of - so I wanted to do something different. It won't win - but that's fine with me. I did well enough last contest for my ego to be properly satiated.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I decided to go with what Jund does best (and no, not Bloodbraid Elf into Blightning).

Shriek of Flame

Enchantment

(), sacrifice a creature: Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature, where X is that creature's power. If a dragon was sacrificed this way, ~ deals damage equal to that creature's power to target creature.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Flameshrieker Dragon
Creature -- Dragon
Flying
Sacrifice ~: Target mountain gains ", : This permanent deals 3 damage to target player and 3 damage to you."
5/5
Flameshriek Peak |
Land
: Add to your mana pool.
, sacrifice a dragon: Add to your mana pool.
The power unleashed when an ancient undergoes Flameshriek is nothing short of astonishing.
Shriek of Flame --
Instant (MR)

As an additional cost to cast Shriek of Flame, sacrifice a dragon.
Shriek of Flame deals damage to target player, and each creature that player controls, equal to the sacrificed dragon's power.

"When the powerful die; the powerful remain."
-Garruk Wildspeaker-

Workspace:

Shriek of Flame --
Enchantment - Aura (MR)

Enchant Mountain.
Enchanted land has ":T:, Sacrifice a dragon: Shriek of Flame deals 5 damage to each creature and player."
Whenever enchanted land becomes tapped, add :RM::RM: to your mana pool.
If Shriek of Flame would leave the battlefield, you may attach it to another target Mountain you control instead.

===xxx===

I like the enchantment, but it's too clunky (like most of my cards).

Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Shriek of Flame -- 1R
Instant

Destroy target Mountain.  Shriek of Flame deals 1 damage to each creature.

If a dragon died this turn, Shriek of Flame deals 5 damage to each creature instead.
Shriek of Flame
Enchantment

I concede, you win.
Embrace imagination. Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block
More
Each of its nine tails is imbued with supernatural power, and it can live for a thousand years. My Standard deck: Setting Sun
108516289 wrote:
Think of how Neo couldn't beat the robots, but they kept him around anyways to defeat Agent Smith. Sure, the robots might not like having a Neo running rampant because instead of playing their favorite 4 drop fatty robot, they have to play a bunch of one mana Matrixs to contain him, but at least Neo keeps Agent Smith from reanimating an Iona on turn two.
139359831 wrote:
Are you saying I'm trying to blame my loss on something? I don't care that I lost, I care that he's a sore loser, and a cheater, and a liar.
144902215 wrote:
144902215 wrote:
I really enjoy imagining this from Kevin's perspective. Because in Kevin's world, Rosewater actually reads everything he types. Mark is sitting there right now, reading this, and thinking "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled. . ." Or some such. He chuckles low, then clicks on "The Best Of KEVINSET" and says "Yes, this'll do just fine. A busty lady with banding who deals direct damage to Zones!? Why this will be the star of my next set, and no one will ever believe you Kevin." Then he closes his Macbook, so his servant may move it out of the way, while another servant puts a Fetal Richard Garfield Clone lathered in Steak Sauce in front of him. Then Mark Feasts. I mean, In KevinWorld, Mark is reading the very words I'm typing as well. Heck, in KevinWorld maybe I am Mark.
99964981 wrote:
57150868 wrote:
Don't go anywhere CKY, I need to crash dramatically through your window and propose marriage and I don't want you throwing off my paradrop.
63588923 wrote:
[In response to a thread about how hard grading is] Upon reading this, I've found myself completely unable to operate in the world. I tried to decide what to eat for breakfast, and pondered the vast consequences of my choice. How do I balance my dietary needs against my desire to eat good-tasting food? Should I factor in how long it takes to prepare? Cereal is ready in moments, but bacon takes longer to cook. Then there is the impact on other industries. Do people in the cereal industry deserve to be employed more than people in the bacon industry? Which industry should I support? I don't even have the data regarding HOW MUCH the cereal industry benefits from me eating a bowl of cereal, or how much the bacon industry benefits from me eating a side of bacon. How can I compare two qualities I can't even quantify? And let's not forget the milk on the cereal. In addition to determining whether or not milk is healthy for me, how much that benefits the milk industry, and how much the people in the milk industry deserve my support, we have to factor in the fact that cows are put under brutal conditions in order to collect thier milk. Of course, the same goes for the pigs, and then they get killed. Of course, I really like bacon. So I need to come up with a scale that compares the value of cow happiness to pig happiness to my happiness. What trade-offs am I willing to make here? Does the fact that the pig gets put out of its misery count as a plus or a minus? Isn't bacon bad for me anyway? Deciding what to eat for breakfast (or any meal) is impossible. Help me!
104339228 wrote:
I must admit chinkeeyong, you have the most interesting character ideas; and you play them well.
144902215 wrote:
Anyway, you'd be surprised about Time Stop. When I first saw that card as a relatively new player I didn't see its full potential until I read the reminder text. Is it that unintuitive, though? Mine I mean. What is possibility? Is it possible for me to type these words with my tusks? No, because I don't have tusks. Although I am now tempted to go buy some - obviously not from poachers or whatever - and use them as typing apparatus. I could be the best secretary ever. "What's your words per minute sir?" "Well, only six, but I use these tusks to type them." "You're hired!" That was the interview. And is anyone else disappointed that "apparati" is not the plural form of apparatus? I just could strangle a dictionary, because "apparatuses" is a real word. I guess it sounds pretty cool. I'll call them my Apparatusks.
Flameshriek Peak |
Land
, sacrifice a dragon: Add to your mana pool.
The power unleashed when an ancient undergoes Flameshriek is nothing short of astonishing.

Technically not allowed by contest rules. ALthough I personally would ignore the rules (in fact, I am).

Most of the obvious routes have been taken...

Rumbling Peak
Land
: add to your mana pool.
Sacrifice a Dragon: Transform Rumbling Peak.
Dormant for centuries, it wakes to the shriek of the damned... 
---------------------
---------------------
Hell's Mouth
Land
Whenever this land transforms into Hell's Mouth, it deals 3 damage to each creature and player.
...Only to echo in thundering chorus.

"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Sheikh of Flame -- 
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature has haste and frist strike as long as it has another equipment attached to it.
Equip  
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
AWESOME.

Technically not allowed by contest rules. 

I figure that in this case being red and a land that makes red mana are roughly equivalent, but hey, the worst that can happen is no grades.
Isn't this contest by voting?

Shriek of Fire -  
Tribal Enchantment - Dragon
Whenever a dragon you control dies, sacrifice a mountain. If a mountain is sacrificed this way, ~ deals X damage to each creature without flying where X is the number of mountains you control. 
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
I think the rules can be bent so that "red" means "red color identity."
Jesus, I'm late.

ENTRY PERIOD IS OVER, VOTING BEGINS

Yes, I did in fact mean red color identity.

No, I did not make that clear, I am very sowwy.

@Dr.Demento

For your disregard of the rules you get a stern finger wag.

Don't let it happen again.
VOTING RULES

1. You have two days.
2. You get one vote.
3. You can vote if you didn't enter.

At the end of the voting period, I will announce my picks (JUDGE'S VOTE) and tally the 3 highest scoring entries (PEOPLE'S VOTE) and then we can have a sexy party.

Good luck everyone.
bay_falconer +1

Decks
Modern

Bloody Fangs

Cruel Master

Life Unbound

Survival of the Fittest

EDH

The Indomitable Doran, the Siege Tower

Mimeomancy The Mimeoplasm

Cube

360 Pauper "Colour Basics"

I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

ChaosLight gets my vote. I originally designed something very close to this, and changed it. I feel like this is a solid way to go.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Doctor D. . . Imi was a close second, and I debated for a while about how I feel about Transform Lands, but this one works flavorfully, so it works for me. My only problem with both of these cards are Changelings. Golly, I loathe them, so. . .

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
HairlessThoctar, but I feel bad because this design was pretty apparent, and you always get the first design in. A lot of people went in a similar path to you, but in the end your was the cleanest and probably most flavorful. Still, a fun card, Super Fling Away!

Oh, and Pablo totally broke the rules first, and then Imi half-broke the rules, and then me. So I should share that finger wag.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
I vote for Febb
I vote for Dream_Spinner's placeholder submission.
More
108516289 wrote:
139359831 wrote:
144902215 wrote:
144902215 wrote:
99964981 wrote:
57150868 wrote:
63588923 wrote:
104339228 wrote:
144902215 wrote:
VOTING RULES

1. You have two days.
2. You get one vote.
3. You can vote if you didn't enter.

Although this technically allows me to vote for myself, for once I won't take advantage of this.

Vote: Imi.
I can vote for myself? Wow~~

Nah, Dream_Spinner Chaoslight 
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
It's a hard decision between Imi and vlord, but I guess I only get one vote Both cards are flavorful and mechanically interesting.

vlord
+ It partially works around the inherent shortcomings of enchantments.
+ Equally effective on either your creatures or your opponent's.
-  No change to board state until the enchanted creature dies.

Imidazoline
+ Dragoncycling? Yes please.
+ Add is just the kind of ability that looks too good to print, but actually works.
-  Everyone and their mother would combo this with Dragon Hatchling, and it's already pretty difficult to be creative with a dragon deck.

I ended up selecting vlord's card because it just grabbed me better. There's something about that card that makes me need to make it work in a deck, regardless of how well it might actually play.

Imi, I realize that my reason for selecting vlord's card over yours is a personal one. But I really can't find anything mechanically wrong with your card! I hope it's ok that I decided to listen to my gut rather than base my vote on logic here.
voting is like innately personal; it's a personal decision, it's not more or less valid depending on why you did it

vlord's is nice but it doesn't work; the Aura is put into the graveyard before the triggered ability resolves

all the cards are very similar though, so i'm just going to vote for vlord 
vlord's is nice but it doesn't work; the Aura is put into the graveyard before the triggered ability resolves

Should I word it like Reins of the Vinesteed or Necrotic Plague?

"When enchanted creature dies, return ~ from your graveyard to the battlefield as a Mountain with ': This mountain deals one damage to each creature and each player'."

Is that any better?

Thanks for the votes guys.
Yeah, the new text would work. I decided to ignore the rules issue because the intent was clear.
Vote for myself

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Oh, and Pablo totally broke the rules first. . .

Nobody likes a tattle tale - I can't believe I voted for you.

139359831 wrote:
VOTING PERIOD IS OVER.
I will begin to tally the votes and give out the judge's picks.