Red/Blue burn (sort of) viable?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello, so I tried to build a deck focusing on swiftly taking my opponent down and I would appreciate any thoughts/comments on it... ;)

Creatures (20):

4 x [C]Phantasmal bear[/C]

4 x [C]Bloodcrazed Neonate[/C]

4 x [C]Delver of Secrets[/C]

4 x [C]Neurok Commando[/C] 

2 x [C]Fire Servant[/C]

2 x [C]Galvanoth[/C]

Spells (22):

4 x [C]Lightning Bolt[/C]

4 x [C]Mana Leak[/C] 

2 x [C]Arc Trail[/C]

4 x [C]Preordain[/C]

2 x [C]Searing Spear[/C]

2 x [C]Lava Axe[/C] 

2 x [C]Foresee[/C] 

Lands(22):

11 x [C]Mountain[/C]

11 x [C]Island[/C] 

I would appreciate any thoughts/comments on it

What is your Budget? Do you have any Format or Legality restrictions?

I would run 24 Lands here. You have access to some cute :R::U: Lands - but my suggestions depend on your budget, Nivix, Aerie Of The FireMind is one example.

You are running too many Creatures for Delver Of Secrets to be effective - I'd change the balance between Spells and Creatures, or cut it. 

How to autocard: 

Show

[*c]CardName[/*c] (remove the *'s) to autocard!

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

Remove the *'s to autodeck!

What is your Budget? Do you have any Format or Legality restrictions?

Edit: No restrictions and my budget is, well, as low as possible... Up to $30 is fine. 

You are running too many Creatures for Delver Of Secrets to be effective - I'd change the balance between Spells and Creatures, or cut it.

Any recomandations on this? I was thinking of maybe cutting 4 x Neurok Commando and go with four more "draw a card" or "scry" spells (Divination comes to mind). But than again commando does that just fine... So maybe cut 4 bears or vampires... Or two of each... What do you think would work the best?

I would like to keep the deck it in Standard format...

Then remove Lightning Bolt, Fire Servant, Preordain and Foresee. All these cards are not currently standard legal and you won be able to take this deck to FNM because of them.

The sets that are standard legal ATM are Scars Block (Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Besieged, New Phyrexia), M2012, Innistrad Block (Innistrad, Dark Ascension, Avacyn Restored) and M2013.

After Return to Ravnica's launch party this October, Scars block and M2012 will rotate out and no longer be standard legal.

NOTE:  I'm sorry if I misspelled set names, but I don't have the time ATM to go and find the correct spellings.

How to autocard:

Show
[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

I would like to keep the deck it in Standard format...

Then remove Lightning Bolt, Fire Servant, Preordain and Foresee. All these cards are not currently standard legal and you won be able to take this deck to FNM because of them.

That makes me a sad panda... But ok - lets say I want this deck just for casual fun, no restrictions (because I would still like to know if it is viable and how to tweak it).

If your looking for R/U Speed deck I would take out all creatures except the Delvers and add Wee Dragonauts and Gelectrode.
Kiln Fiend wouldn't be bad either

Lava Axe isn't worth 5 mana for 5 damage to a player. Be better with Shock
>reminder to self< Best not to argue with idiots, they will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience
Up to $30 is fine.

lets say I want this deck just for casual fun, no restrictions (because I would still like to know if it is viable and how to tweak it).

$29.16 at CoolStuffInc - playable in the Modern Format (save Ponder )

Modern(ish) Legal Izzet:
Show

2 Desolate LightHouse
2 Nivix, Aerie Of The FireMind
4 Terramorphic Expanse
8 Island
8 Mountain

4 Delver Of Secrets
4 Wee Dragonauts 
2 Izzet ChronArch

4 Red Sun's Zenith 
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Forked Bolt
4 Ponder
4 Into The Roil 
4 Electrolyze
2 ForeSee

I'm not super happy with it - because it's tough to do quality :R: and :U: on a tight budget, but it should be more than enough for most Casual environments (mine included).

In terms of slightly less budget alterations: I'd switch 4 Terramorphic Expanse out for 4 Shivan Reef and then 4 Island out for 4 Halimar Depths. After that I'd remove 2 Foresee for 2 RuneChanter's Pike, and I'd run BrainStorm in place of Ponder and Magma Jet in place of Forked Bolt.

It's also worth noting that Return To Ravinca gets you a whole pile of great :R::U: stuff - I'd wait until it's released and then a little while more (while the prices settle down) before you build this.

How to autocard: 

Show

[*c]CardName[/*c] (remove the *'s) to autocard!

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

Remove the *'s to autodeck!

If you look to run a high spellcount, look into [CARD]Kiln Fiend[/CARD] and [CARD]Delver of Secrets[/CARD] as well as [CARD]Wee Dragonauts[/CARD]. All play well with lots of instants/sorceries. 
Sign In to post comments