[RETIRED][Wide Beta] Feedback — Finding and Playing Games

184 posts / 0 new
Last post
Please use this thread to post and discuss your feedback on finding and playing matches in the new MTGO wide beta client. This includes setting up and starting new open games, finding open games, and finding & entering events. Please keep the discussion focused ONLY on these topics regarding the Wide Beta.   

Please DO NOT POST BUGS in this thread. Instead please use the Customer Service bug report form.

Please DO NOT use these threads to make non-GUI requests/comments such as Leagues, automated trading, fractional tickets etc.

Feedback thread index
Collection, Deckbuilding, and Trading Cards
Finding and Playing Games
Store, Settings, and Miscellany

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
The join-game listings don't make it immediately clear: a) at what time the game was created; or b) how many people are at the table (for multiplayer games). Needing to click on "Details" adds a needless, time-consuming step.
Please use this thread to post and discuss your feedback on finding and playing matches in the new MTGO wide beta client. This includes setting up and starting new open games, finding open games, and finding & entering events. Please keep the discussion focused ONLY on these topics regarding the Wide Beta.   

Please DO NOT POST BUGS in this thread. Instead please use the Customer Service bug report form.

Please DO NOT use these threads to make non-GUI requests/comments such as Leagues, automated trading, fractional tickets etc.

Feedback thread index
Collection, Deckbuilding, and Trading Cards
Finding and Playing Games
Store, Settings, and Miscellany

I tried a game of 2hg Std with the new Beta UI and found many aspects of the gameplay difficult to use.

The endless adjustability of the player areas actually makes it difficult to find things that get covered up. Various windows for chats and pop up alerts are another example of too much customization becoming clutter.

The partner's hand is too large and covers critical screen space -- it can't be sized down small enough without concealing cards. Ditto my own play area.

I cast Solem Simulacrum and -- for the life of me -- couldn't find where my open library was so that I could search for a basic land. I had to give up, or else hang the game endlessly while I searched.

It put my partner -- whose turn was after mine -- on my right hand side, making it hard to keep track of the game's order -- and (critically) to keep track of who was attacking whom. I know it numbers the players by order, but the positioning was even worse than in the current UI, where sometimes you and partner are on the bottom, sometimes on the left side.

eskiii - I also encountered a bug where my library didn't pop up when I had to search for it. Normally it pops up in a manner similar to the view of the partner's hand, but it seems that sometimes it just doesn't pop up at all. In my case, I couldn't even press OK to continue the game.
Before I tried the new client, I was asked by an opponent if they appeared to be playing slow. They did and I told them as much. Turns out they were using the new client.

Being the curious type, I downloaded the new client myself and started a game, only for my opponent to ask me why I was taking so long to play. I think at first the new client takes a bit longer to "click through" each turn due to unfamiliarity of the UI but I thought I would flag it up just in case it's a real issue.
Some of my IN-GAME complaints from the 'Sneak Peek' that haven't really been changed:

1) Would like to see more info on current/completed games in the 'Results' section of the Constructed Play area.
There are no start/finish times nor can you tell if a game is running or finished unless you click the 'Details' button.

2) The Life Total, Deck, Hand and Graveyard icons are very small and not as 'available to the eye' as in V3. Would like to see slightly larger versions.
Would also like the GY to be detachable like in V3.

3) Even though the game 'phase bar' has been 'animated', it's still a bit difficult to tell where you are in the current turn. The highlighted area does not stand out enough and needs far more contrast.

4) The game still runs a bit rough. The movement of in-game objects is jerky.

5) Would like to have an option to start new games in a fully maximized window. It's a pain having to manually maximize the window every time a new game starts.

"We wlll kill them all."

Some of my IN-GAME complaints from the 'Sneak Peek' that haven't really been changed:

1) Would like to see more info on current/completed games in the 'Results' section of the Constructed Play area.
There are no start/finish times nor can you tell if a game is running or finished unless you click the 'Details' button.

2) The Life Total, Deck, Hand and Graveyard icons are very small and not as 'available to the eye' as in V3. Would like to see slightly larger versions.
Would also like the GY to be detachable like in V3.

3) Even though the game 'phase bar' has been 'animated', it's still a bit difficult to tell where you are in the current turn. The highlighted area does not stand out enough and needs far more contrast.

4) The game still runs a bit rough. The movement of in-game objects is jerky.  This part works good for me.

5) Would like to have an option to start new games in a fully maximized window. It's a pain having to manually maximize the window every time a new game starts.

To add on to this:

6) Searching my 300 card deck is a nightmare.  Cards need to be smaller, sorted to the top left preferably, and highlighted better. (the ones you are able to choose from)

7) The game needs arrows pointing to what stuff is targetting.

8) Tapping a basic land is painless.  Tapping a dual land is a chore.  Get rid of the useless text and just have the mana symbols.  Also, make them bigger please.  This applies to any ability really.

A feature I would really like to see is where the client shows you what formats your decks are legal in and recommends it.  The biggest issue I have in this game is that there are hardly any modern or legacy games in the just for fun room because most people in that room have no idea that those formats exist or what they are.  They all flock to classic cause they don't know any better.

No matter how much time I give the beta (both wide and closed) I just can't get to 'liking' the duel and tournament interface more. There is a level of familiarity involved I'm sure but there are so many things that are changed that honestly, I am interested in knowing why.

• As mentioned, vital stats, life totals, deck size, hand size are all *way* too small, this is info that needs to be easily available but its just so hard to read. 

• Targeting is something I am starting to get a little used to, but I still think the V3 arrows are significantly better than what is being used in the beta, single target stuff you can sorta work out what is being targetted (though its still annoying to have to mouse over something, then look around the screen to see what changed) stuff with multiple targets are worse.

• The phase bar and Ok, etc buttons are still just really badly positioned, the layout is just not as well, for lack of a word, effortless compared to V3, what I mean by that is that you have to physically look around so much more in order to just play the game. It feels like I am playing paper magic with a bunch of whiteboard around the place with the info I need, instead of just being able to focus on the game and having everything in front of me.

• The tournament screen is really really bad compared to what we have now, while the current one is not perfect, you can tell at a glance what stage all the games are in, who you are waiting on etc, the new one requires you to expand stuff out and almost literally write down who is playing who to tell what is happening, and this is only an 8man draft, I can't imagine how awful it would be to play in a 500 player PTQ.

Gameplay problem: new source of "misclicks"

When playing a game on the beta client, there is a "lag" between the timing of moving to the "Declare Attackers" phase and when the red strip opens up, allowing the user to select attackers. 

I use the F2 button to skip through phases (expediting the turn).  I normally F2 through my first main phase, immediately click my single attacker and click F2 again (denoting that I am done declaring attackers).  When doing this, I have had the new interface ignore my mouse-click on my creature.  I think this happens because there is a screen animation triggered for the red strip opening up.  During this animation, the GUI doesn't seem to respond to mouse clicks, even though I've moved out of the previous phase by clicking F2.  The result is that it looks like I F2 through my "declare attackers". 

The steps:
In first main phase: F2 (want to move to "declare attackers")
As red strip opens: Mouse-click on attacker and then F2 (F2 says that I'm done declaring)

Result:
No creature selected to attack, but declare attackers skipped

This happened to me more than once in the latest closed beta period (this past weekend).
I'm completely new to Magic Online so my opinions come from someone who has not yet become established with the interface. In addition, I have not learned all of the shortcuts so hopefully this will give a perspective from a "new" player. I have only had the chance download and briefly go through the interface a bit. If interested, I can try to put more detailed thoughts down as I actually get time to trade cards and play games.

I would like to add my agreement to having a way of distinguishing game / match status. As a new player I like to watch games now and then hoping to learn something. However, the new interface makes this difficult as I have to click the "Details" button a few times before I find a game that is in progress. For me, I would be happy with an additional column on the game list to indicate game status. A second option would be to add another filter group on the left for status so that we could toggle the results to the game statuses we're seeking.

The one "bug" I saw last night while watching a game is that The Stack and Triggered Abilities popups do not display non-standard characters correctly. Instead, you see that annoying black triangle with a white question mark. One card I saw do this was Aether Adept. Each time that card hit the stack or triggered an ability, its game text had that question mark. The card title seemed fine though (it flashed quickly so I may have missed it).

Hopefully this helps.

Almost none of the issues I had with playing/finding games have changed since the sneak peek.

1. Horizontal Scroll of the battlefields (instead of the way V3 handles things)

2. The stack being horizontal (instead of the vertical one found in V3, which makes it easier to see things)

3. Massive borders around everything (V3 already wastes too much screen space on borders, V4 manages to be even worse)

4. Commanders are placed on the battlefield (instead of having their own Command zone window)

5. GY, Exile, Revealed, Hands etc. are still not detachable

6. The battlefield can not be zoomed

7. Seeing what/who is being targeted by individual effects is a chore

That's just of the top of my head from 1 game of Commander with the current V4 client.

Cards move around too much: I was panicking where did my Plains go in a Jhoira Basic match. Cards should stay in place and tapped lands should not move other cards. 

Chat windows are a clutter and a mess: there's no reasonable unused space to put it, but at least the game chat is crucial to the game. I was surprised to find there was an exile/revealed zone right behind where I had put it. 

Cards are too big in the hand, meaning if I maximize my playing area (I had to, with full domain), I only see the top half of the card.

Collection/deckbuilding section.. Ugh... Why can't you have two separate tabs for those, works so much more intuitively in v3.

Unclear targets - arrows work instantly.

GY, exile zones are hard too check.

Cards don't look like Magic cards - the fonts are different, they look...weird.. 
1. The player hand, and the section with what phase of the turn it/the popups etc feel like they're too big, and "in the way". the cards in play seemed very small in comparison to things like the temporary zone/graveyard, and the text displayed on the cards in play feels very useless: in most cases only 1-2 words are displayed, compared to the current client where a good amount of the text on any card is usually visible. It also feels somewhat messy having to scroll the playfield left and right.

2. I found it very annoying that there was no option to make "Match" or "Best 2 out of 3" in the "Just for Fun" room, something which is present in the current client, and being told that Matches are only available in the Tournament Practice room. IMO, having a sideboard and being able to use it and playing for fun are not mutually exclusive.

3. I somewhat miss the colour coding of the descriptions in "Limited Tournament Queues" - it was a lot easier to identify quickly which one you wanted (8-4 = red etc), instead of looking at multiple similar descriptions.
Just played my first game in the Wide Beta.  Two main issues for me:

1) Searching the library is still much slower than in V3.  Please put the valid targets first and find a way to eliminate the side scrolling.  Note that you have a preview pane now, so you could more easily go back to a stacked view instead of a "collection" type full card view for library searching.  Or make it an option.  

2) Side scrolling on the battlefield is still pretty painful.  

I'm sure those are on the To-Do list, and they are still making the game frustratingly slow.  Honestly, I think I will find the game play to be fine after those issues are fixed.  

That's not to minimize some other good suggestions people have made, like having the ability to enlarge the graveyard when desired, auto-maximizing the game as it starts, etc.  

Like I said before, I think this thing has hope.  It was nice to see some movement in the right direction at the outset of this wide beta (like keeping the red zone open... now all we need is the option to keep the red zone permanently closed...)  I didn't realize the wide beta would be upon us this soon.   That's pretty cool.  
Aesthetics:

The combination of bad borders and awkward font sizing is making this look really much worse than V3.

Auto-resizing (font / cards / windows) would be useful if this was smoother in all areas of the client, examples:
1) Library window when tutoring - seems to default to a size that doesn't fit your entire (60) deck in, which can be resized to show them all, but then goes back to the default the next time you search.
2) Depending on the name of the card, the font sizes are different - this really, really looks ugly. Having a set font size based onthe size of the card being displayed would be sooooo much nicer.
3) Can we please have the option to resize card in the game? Lands do not need to be full sized, and whilst I much prefer the way they move when tapped now, the fact that they can force you to scroll off screen whilst there is open space on the left hand side of your untapped lands is unseemly.

Scrolling - vertical is so much more intuitive than horizontal, exspecialy in the case of effects and the stack. 

Window memory
When I start a game, I have to move the chat window every single game. Can it be set to remember the last position it was closed from (I even dock it to the left to make things easier)? The same could be true for all chat windows.

Windows vs Tabs
I would prefer if the windows were housed as pat of the game, rather than as their own windows separated onthe task bar. The ability to move chat etc windows outside of the game window is really helpful, especially on multiple monitor set-ups, but having to Alt_Tab through 3-4 extra windows is not how I would like to be doing it.

If these were simply held as tabs within the main windows which could be switched to, I think that would still retain as much functionality.

Finding a game:
Firstly, I do not know how this affects other rooms, but in casual and 'starting out' rooms, the ability to see what type of game you are joining is sorely lacking. Even if it was just to identify which filter a game belonged to, either colour coded, listed spearately, or by having a column that identifies the filtered option, I think that would make it much quicker and easier to find the game that you want to join.

First thoughts after a few games, will check back later if anything else crops up.
MTG Rules Advisor / Addict
1.) When playing a Commander match, the fact that the commander is placed on the battlefield instead of a command zone window makes it extremely difficult to tell whether the Commander is actually in play or in the command zone.

2.) The targets of any targeted spells and/or abilities are extremely difficult to determine at a glance, as there are no arrows delineating the targets like there are in the current client. In addition to this, seeing which creatures are attacking which player in a multiplayer match is extremely difficult to determine as well.

3.) It's much more troublesome to look at and scroll through the new horizontal stack window compared to the vertical representation of the current client.

That's all I've got for now.
I like the fact that there are separate windows that I can move around and independently minimize.
Just had an idea. Alot of users especially multiplayer users find the targeting system lacking. What if the targeting system stayed the same (so the board doesn'r get cluttered) but when you mouse over a permanent or effect arrow(s) would be drawn to the permanet/object it targets. When you mouse back off the arrow would disapere again.
A few more items...

1) The lands move around way too much when tapped.
2) When trying to start a new game, the new window comes up and says, "Waiting for more players to join" when there are already 2 players there in a 1-1 game. The window just sits there indefinitely until you close it. You have to 'refresh' the room by clicking on another room and then come back to get a game to start.
3) Being unable to resize cards in your hand is pretty bad.

"We wlll kill them all."

Posted this somewhere else already, but it was probably not quite the right place.

"How the Beta makes chunking and thus efficient tapping impossible

Having played the Beta on and off, I really hoped this would be noted and corrected at some point, but it hasn't so far. What's the problem?

When we try to do a task that involves a couple of minor steps our brain automatically chunks those together. For example tapping the mana for an 3UU spell would be something like

click Island pile 2x -> move cursor to Plains pile -> click Plains pile 3x

This feels highly natural and lets us perform very well. Unfortunately it doesn't work this way when tapping Islands leads to the Plains moving around. Then it becomes:

click Island pile 2x -> uh oh, where did the plains go? -> locate Plains pile -> move cursor to Plains pile -> click Plains pile 3x

This might seem like a minor detail, but it is absolutely unnecessary, and constantly annoying. It takes extra time and provides an unnecessary distraction. Please make the interface more predictable! The cards must not move around all the time!

Same goes for combat. It is quite annoying that even creatures that are not involved in blocking, move around all the time. Blocking should be "block -> block -> block ...", not "block -> where did that creature go now? -> locate -> block ..."

I don't like that only the host of the game is showed by default on the main Play page.  Sometimes I'm looking for a game a buddy is in and having to click into every game to find out which one he's in is very slow.  Also, as mentioned, I'd like to see when games started right away so I don't try and join a game that's been sitting there for hours.

I also don't like that there doesn't seem to be a way to set some of the advanced game options anymore.  For example, the number cards in the starting hand, starting life, etc.  This is especially a problem because the new current default for two headed giant games is 30 life per team and an hour and a half per player.  

When I'm actually in the game I don't like that my partner's hand shows up in a pane that I can't get rid of.  It seems so unnecessary when you can expand the area your hand is displayed in to show your partner's hand also.  Why not let me get rid of the pane if I'm not using it?  As for the pane itself, it's pretty bad.  To show a full hand of 7 cards all at once you have to expand it to cover a huge area of the screen.

Here is my gameplay feedback gathered from entering and competing in a draft tournament:

PLAY tab
- Recent Play Choices doesn't close again if clicked twice - unexpected and annoying behaviour
- Recent Play Choices slides over "Game Types" when the frame gets too small
- Personally, I don't like the overall look and feel of the Filters to find something. Don't see myself using this feature.
- "Go to the Next Game" - what does this button even mean? Didn't dare to click on it.
- "Go to the Next Game" button text partly disappears when the frame gets too small
- "Host a New Game" is greyed out for me. Probably because I'm only looking at drafts, but still weird.
- The description of the "Results" box is misleading. When I look for MTGO tournaments and see the word "Result", I think match/tournament results, not "Search Results". If that's what is meant, the description should probably include that. Would also hint at there being filters and a search function.
- What is called a "game" are actually tournaments ("Join a game", "Current / Past games"). This is very weird given that "game" has a very particular meaning. ("Join a tournament", "Active / Completed tournaments")
- V3 differentiates very clearly between open queues and running tournaments . I would like to see a similar differentiation in V4, much more than a placeholder row in a large table. If there are so many filters, why isn't there one to show only queues?
- The boxes "Featured Tournaments" and "Results" are missing a way to resize them.
- The search bar doesn't work on Featured Tournaments, but appears to be global by position. It also takes away a the whole row - maybe reposition?

"Drafting"
- When I click on the card zoom slider instead of pulling the slider itself I get only a very very minimal change in card size. Not really usable like that.
- I would like to see the names of the drafters in addition to or instead of their avatars.
- When right-clicking on Main Deck cards, I get an "add to wishlist" item - don't think that makes sense here. It's also not there for Sideboard cards.
- Sort by converted mana cost doesn't automatically sort cards of a new converted mana cost into the right column (i.e., the first drafted 1-drop appearing after the 5-drops).
- I love the "SB" feature, but it would be great to have a shortcut for "add to sideboard". Holding Ctrl and double clicking, for example. Maybe there is one but I don't know it.
- Once I have sorted my SB, I can't go back to the view where I see all the cards in a single column. As the SB box is very small, that's actually my preferred view.
- The text "Booster 2 (11 cards)" changes to (0 cards) after having made a pick, which seems unnecessary. Except for the small 8-player graphic, there is no easy way of telling which pick it is. I would like to see something like "Booster Pack 2, Pick 3" instead.
- I think it's weird that you can move any card anywhere into a pile. The behavior I expected was to be able to add a card to the top of a pile, or move cards within the same pile. Maybe that's just me though.
- Currently, the number of cards in each pile is displayed above them. The amount of cards there is actually quite obvious from looking at the size of the piles. I would prefer to not have this row or a description according to the sorting criterion (i.e., converted mana cost).
- Booster and Main box have right-click "Sort", but the SB box doesn't. That's inconsistent.
- There is the option to "Sort" in the right-click menu, but not to change the View options. Why not both? Especially weird because you only get 1 Option (Show ->) when rightclicking.
- The Deckbuilding screen has boxes for Main, SB and Hidden. If I use the Hidden box at all, I pull cards in my SB there that I'm not going to sideboard. These could just as well be one or more rightmost piles in my SB, though. I don't think the Hidden box is necessary for such a minor thing.

"Event" screen
- I don't get the "Name and +" list of a tournament. The most important thing (replays) aren't even accessible.
- Points dont update after matches (They did not ever during my draft, in fact)
- Suggestion: 8-mans single-elimination would allow for some very fancy tournament result presentation (KO bracket etc.)
- The Game chat and log doesnt disappear after a match with a player and carries over to the Event screen (and later matches)
- The undocking of Chat&Log is not intuitive (took me a while until I dragged the white title box. Nonchanging cursor doesn't help.)
- There is neither a button nor right-click functionality to close Chat&Log. The first time I docked my Chat&Log to the right side of the screen, I tried clicking the [X] in the upper right hand corner and almost dropped from my event.
- After a match has finished, I can still use the "Return to Game" button. Don't see the reason for that. Would make a little more sense if you could watch a replay?
- "Single Elim" has "Single Elim" as "?"-text. Why is not spelled out (Elimination)?
- "M13 M13 M13 Boosters" also has identical "?"-text
- I couldn't reproduce this, but once I felt like the "Time to next round counter" switched back to the round time of the previous round. Might have been a slow graphics update/flicker of my computer screen though. Just wanted to include this in case others have noticed it as well.
- After submitting a deck after sideboarding, it is very confusing to be taken back to the event screen. The text "Waiting for All Players to submit deck" further adds to that confusion, as you think you are know waiting for all players in the event (as that's the screen you are on). For 2-player games, this should be "your opponent" or his/her name.

"Sideboarding"
- The description "Game Details"/"Return to Game" doesn't make sense. "Tournament Details", "Return to Sideboarding" would be correct (the latter during sideboarding, of course).
- Most options are accessible by right-click and the menu buttons, but "Group creatures seperately" only by right-click. Could be included in the menu next to Sort and View.
- Filters for limited deckbuilding are not needed.
- The "Suggest Lands" button is kind of superfluous when the suggestion is already made when clicking "Add Basics".
- I noticed that the "Suggest Lands" box floats above *all* windows (including non-MTGO). It hovered over the notepad file I had open to take these notes.
- As long as the "Suggest Lands" box was open, I couldn't go back to sideboarding by clicking on the corresponding taskbar icon. Alt-Tab worked.
- The "Submit Deck" button appears to be greyed out even when having a legal deck to submit (40 cards). It "turns on" when moused over.

"Game Play"
- I miss the dice animation. The least I expect would be Log-notice who won the die roll.
- I dislike both the foil as well as the summoning sickness animation. Even though foils look better when animated, I find any screen movement distracting. Especially if it's for something irrelevant (foil) or for a permanent that's actually less relevant than others (sickness).
- Despite not liking animations, I kept the red zone animation as I like to have a visual cue when going to combat. For those that have a constant red zone, it would be great to see a red border around it when entering combat (similar to the marking for whose turn it is).
- The stacking of cards is not a bad idea in general, but I would like to see it being used only if horizontal space is getting low. Nobody wants or needs to stack two of their three creatures.
- The black bar including the red text "The Stack" in red letters could certainly look nicer. I would like an advanced option to get rid of it altogether (the description bar, not the stack).
- This has been called a lot of times, but clicking on a creature to attack messes up their order (dancing)
- The current targeting visuals are much more difficult to grasp than V3 arrows.
- Compared to the symbol for Copy effects or counters, the Summoning-Sickness-Tornado is huge. Would like to see an option to have it smaller or also in the upper right corner. Also not sure what the symbol is supposed to mean (dizzyness?).
- Both life totals and hand size are too important to be that small.
- The library shoud be sorted when searching.
- I had some weird things happening with blue text added to creatures. Not sure if these are bugs or GUI things, but 2 examples: After casting Predatory Rampage, a creature got "blocks each turn if able", which isn't really the effect of the card. With Akroma's Memorial in play, the blue text for Protection was missing from the creature, even after zooming in.
- I would prefer the "Result" screen to be non-transparent but movable? "Return to Details" should probably read "Return to Event Overview" or something along those lines.
- The button "Chat & Log" in the bottom right is clickable, but doesn't have an effect if Chat and Log is open. The text "game chat and log" is not capitalized in the actual header.
- Time stamps in the game log are probably not needed

That's it so far, but the upcoming drafts will surely produce some more! If there is anything you need details or examples on, let me know.
Comments on "In Game" interactions.

1.  I understand the want to promote the "Red Zone", however it is not necessary and extremely distracting.

2.  The constant "movement" of cards when new cards enter the play area, are tapped, move to the red zone, etc.  is very distracting and does not convey how players play intuitively in real life.  i.e., we tap things, but do not continuously rearrange things with every step.  The old client starts laying cards to the left and builds them toward the right.  Starting the cards in the center only to have them pushed toward BOTH sides of the screen is visually painful.  The same can be said when creatures move in and out of the Red Zone.

3.  I actually like the music/sound queues for the different phases of the game.  Can you include that in the new client?

4.  In deckbuilding for draft, I would move the deck window to the top and the sideboard to the bottom of the screen.  This is due to the shapes of the windows.  It seems the sideboard has more real estate, when it should be the other way around. 
I encountered two major problems during a game.

An opponent played Telepathy in a game with 3 players. As a result, the hand of the other opponent was permanently displayed on the screen. This window took up 3/4th of the screen and there was no way to minimize or close it, and no way to make it smaller. All I could was move it around as needed, but as I said, it take up 3/4th of the screen so I couldn't really move it around much. Also, keep in mind it was only a 3 player game.. if it was 4 players, two such windows would appear instead of one, making the problem even worse.

The other problem I encountered is simply the fact that Commander generals permanently appear as though they are in play.
Commander matches.  Please make the command zone for each player a floating window that I can move outside the play area just like the chat window.  That would be ideal.
Just found a problem.
The game wouldn't let me pick a card to put into my hand with Augur of Bolas.

And that Stack window is beyond awful. The more I play the worse it seems to be.

Addendum: Delver's ability when on the stack, but I couldn't see what the top card was.

"We wlll kill them all."

• Sometimes it's your turn to click OK, but you don't realize it. The old client had the same issue, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway. This is a new client, so why not fix this finally?

• I turned off red zone animation because it gives me a headache. (and because it's very choppy... which is probably part of the reason it's obnoxious) But just now as a result I accidentally skipped my attack step. The old client has the trumpet sound effect. I think it would be good if we can get that sound effect back at least as an option.

• It's less noticeable now when a player is dealt damage. In the old client we had the "oof!" sound effect.. there should be an option to get this back. As it is you have to pay careful attention to players' life totals just to verify that damage was dealt.

• When remapping my keys... the list of "in-duel key bindings" is cut off after "Always Yes to This". I can't even see which key does "Always Yes to This" and whether there are any more keys below that. There is no scroll bar so I can't scroll down to see the rest. This may be my fault for having a low screen resolution, but still.

• When joining a game, it says "Waiting for more players" even though the game is already full. It remains like this until the host starts the game.

Edited post.

When hosting a new game, it always defaults to 2 game match structure. I have no idea how to make it only 1 game. I see people making 1-game games so apparently it is possibly but I have no idea how.

It depends in which room you play. Getting serious and Tournament practice are best of 3 mathces while Just starting out and Just for fun are single match. A side effect for now is that if you want to play best of 3 matches you have to play Tournament practice because if you play Getting serious you can only play againts players within the Wide beta since this room does not exist in the live version.
Wait wait.. you're saying that the ability to choose match structure has been taken away!
And the only reason other users can do it is because they are using the old client? That is why?
Wow...

Actually that reminds me.. the new client shows notifications for a lot of things such as when a buddy signs in. (I had to disable this) But does it do this for whenever an opponent says something in the chat window?

The chat window is a separate window now... this fact will cause me to chat less than usual, because I keep that window minimized.
I don't even mind, because in my opinion the game takes precedence, and it actually makes sense to me to get rid of the game log and chat if it means more screen space is dedicated to the game.
But if someone does chat, I hope it gives a notification, so they don't get ignored.
These are different option. You can disable/enable the login notification, start of chat, getting new stuff, tournament starts, waiting for priority etc. Look at the account options to choose the ones you would like enabled/disabled.
re: simongoertzen's post

"Time stamps in the game log are probably not needed"
Aren't timestamps useful to see if anyone is stalling?

"I dislike both the foil as well as the summoning sickness animation."
Summoning sickness was never animated for me, but then again I had foil animations turned off in the old client so maybe that's why.
So there is probably an option to disable it. I will have to check next time I am logged in.
I like the summoning sickness graphic because it makes it much easier to tell whether something has summoning sickness.
Sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but I think it would be great if the client could save the way we organize/re-size the playing and chat windows and open up new games the same way. It's really annoying having to re-organize and re-size the windows in the way I like every time I play a game.
while playing on the new client when searching the deck for specific cards you have to click on a scrolling arrow to look at the rest of your deck, and when playing a 5 color deck with battle of wits the cards get further apart.  the cards should resize themselves so they fit on the playmat
I can't figure out how to start a 1v1 commander game.

If someone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Even if someone helps, it shouldn't be this confusing

I select Format = Commander

When I pick Multiplayer options = commander, it starts a multiplayer game.  It won't let me start a multiplayer game with only 2 players.

When I pick Multiplayer options = 1v1, it doesn't follow commander rules (20 life, no commander, etc)

The window that pops up to tell you to stack your triggered abilities looks exactly like the stack, and even appears in the same position. Two problems with this - it's not entirely clear that it's waiting for you to do something (because its easily confused with the stack window), and when both appear simultaneously they are overlapping and difficult to use.

Agree that the stack window is awful, someone made an arbitrary decision to change the stack to being horizontal. If theres more than 3 things on the stack, it starts getting bigger than the window and you can't see it all.

I really don't like the idea in the game finder that if you don't choose an item for an option, then all options are OK. Specifically, I used the "Go to next game" button and got thrown into a 4 player game, which I had to drop from causing inconvenience to the other players. Apparently I was meant to choose 1-on-1 as the structure. Please give these things sensible defaults.

Having permanents on the battlefield jiggling around is annoying, but having them actually change position and swap order on the battlefield is just unforgivable. I made several blocking errors today due to this. Somehow assigned a block, various creatures on one or both sides of the table moved sideways to other positions, and ended up with two 1/1's blocking a 5/5 while the other 5/5 was unblocked - obviously not what I wanted to do. Someone else has already given an excellent explaination of how recall and processing of complex game states is based on visual memory, please heed this advice! Same goes for land moving around when it's tapped. Preferable like it get tapped "in place", but it not only goes to a new pile when tapped, but that new pile is way over some other place on the battlefield (like, there's a few other piles in between) AND while it's assigning things into new piles everything gets dynamically rejustified.

The targetting triangles are just bad. It takes a lot of "visual effort" to hunt around the screen to find the thing being targeted when I mouse over a card. I liked the old arrows that linked the two cards. If they don't want to bring those back, then I'd at least like to see the triangles animated and/or flashing/pulsating/whatever.

I noticed several errors in the instructions telling me to select targets for a spell. For example, a played a card that required me to select a target creature and a target player. Both times, it was asking me to select a target creature. That same box changes colour all the time - that would be great if it was one colour when it was waiting for you to make a decision and another colour otherwise - but it's not consistent in this at all. It's beige when waiting for you to assign blockers, for example.

When tapping dual lands, I have made several misclicks because the options for the different colours of mana available are either inconsistent, or at least different to how they are in v3.
There is a problem with the client when finding games. Did anyone notice that the list of games is animated? When you select a gametype or do anything to refresh the list, you have to wait for the list of games to collapse (instead of the whole disappearing right away), and then you have to wait for the new list to load games one by one. (instead of the whole list appearing right away) It's kind of annoying in its overall pointlessness. We're being made to wait longer for no reason except to watch an animation that serves no purpose except to confuse and irritate.

What makes it even more ridiculous is the fact the client for whatever reason by default has to display the last ten gajillion games played.
So once you specify a format (or even when you switch from "just for fun" to "tournament practice" or vice versa) you're looking at a good 20-30 seconds waiting just for that list of games to finish disappearing. (i.e. waiting for the client to do literally nothing)

edit: It's even longer than 30 seconds.

edit: Maybe it's not a big deal.
Anyway I found another issue.
There is an open game, I didn't join but decide to watch.
When the game starts, it's bumped down to the bottom of the list of current/past games.
Is this really how it works? The newest games appear at the bottom, and the oldest games appear at the top?
This makes no sense...
It's even worse considering that the time a game is created is longer visible in this client. The client just assumes we are to know whether the list is displayed games from oldest to newest.. or newest to oldest. For that matter it could be displaying the games in a totally random order. Because after all, how would we know?

That said I felt I'd throw the new client a few compliments:
 - When watching games, you can minimize the game window, and it won't make alarm noises like the old client did. (as if the client assumed you were part of the game)
 - Cards are bigger and more beautiful, games feel more full windowed than before. The game is more appealing to play. (for 1v1 at least. Commander is currently no better than unplayable.)
 - I could be wrong but ever since I switch to the new client, it seems like I can tap my lands and they actually become tapped, instead of some clicks not registering.
 - Remappable keys.
2.  The constant "movement" of cards when new cards enter the play area, are tapped, move to the red zone, etc.  is very distracting and does not convey how players play intuitively in real life.  i.e., we tap things, but do not continuously rearrange things with every step.  The old client starts laying cards to the left and builds them toward the right.  Starting the cards in the center only to have them pushed toward BOTH sides of the screen is visually painful.

A million times this.

I like to think I'm very open to ways to improve the client we currently have (V3), which is not a good client at all - it's merely functional. I understand V4 still has a way to go before becoming the "default", but I can't for the life or me understand why you are nerfing some aspects of the game for seemingly no reason at all. The "centering" and constant moving of permanents on the battlefield is frankly baffling for me. Makes for a very annoying experience, while distancing the gameplay from what we experience in the paper game - all of this for absolutely zero benefit.

I have a few qualms with the new client overall (awful library searching, anyone?), but this is far and away the biggest of them.
ricklongo and RicardoLongo on MTGO. Check out my articles at PureMTGO
Having to scroll left and right on my opponent's side of the battlefield if they have too many lands out is awful. It's really difficult to keep track of everything they have down without being able to see it all at once.
Does anyone know how to change to game time to something other than the default (25 minutes for each player)?
Having to scroll left and right on my opponent's side of the battlefield if they have too many lands out is awful. It's really difficult to keep track of everything they have down without being able to see it all at once.

The old client has a scroll bar which I think is a far superior method.
Because right now you have to click left to go left, then click right to go right, and it moves by itself I think, and it's not clear whether you have to just keep clicking or click and hold. Ugh.
Bring scroll bar back.

Please note that you can grab the battlefield with the mouse and drag it.  This prevents you from needing to use the scroll buttons. 

We are looking at other ways to improve this experience as well, but I want to make sure you know that there are easier ways than clicking (or scrollbars for that matter).