[RETIRED][Wide Beta] Feedback — Store, Settings, and Miscellany

111 posts / 0 new
Last post
Please use this thread to post and discuss your feedback on using the in-game store, adjusting game settings, and any miscellaneous aspects of the game which are not covered by the other feedback threads (see index below).  

Please DO NOT POST BUGS in this thread. Instead please use the Customer Service bug report form.

Please DO NOT use these threads to make non-GUI requests/comments such as Leagues, automated trading, fractional tickets etc.

Feedback thread index
Collection, Deckbuilding, and Trading Cards
Finding and Playing Games
Store, Settings, and Miscellany

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Windows 8 still not supported by any means? Or did I miss a way to make it work?
Windows 8 is not supported yet, but support will be coming soon. 
I would not object to an option to increase menu text size if so desired. I am at 1920 x 1080 resolution, and some of the text - especially anything on the beige/tan background - seems thin, making it slightly harder to read without squinting.
I understand that text size significantly influences the rest of the GUI, but if I am not alone and there's an easy way to experiment with such a setting, I would appreciate it.

Otherwise, so far so good! 
the big issues i see so far is the constant freezing and i mean extremely constant, also the cards look very blurry.  one the current mtgo client everything looks crisp and clear, maybe this is something that will be addressed when the new client comes online for good
the big issues i see so far is the constant freezing and i mean extremely constant

If you are having these kinds of issues, please report issues here. Provide as much information as you can about what you were doing and what happened when you experienced an issue. Thanks for trying out the new version of Magic Online.
The recent article claims that windows remember their layout. However, they only remember their last known UNMAXIMISED location and size, and always reappear in unmaximised form (for duel screen windows at least). Also, the little chat window that gets spawned always appears in the upper left corner of my monitor, and I have to drag it over to my second monitor every single game.

Why do they take so much time to brag about the improvements they have made to the client when they cannot even implement them correctly?
The recent article claims that windows remember their layout. However, they only remember their last known UNMAXIMISED location and size, and always reappear in unmaximised form (for duel screen windows at least).

I believe that is standard Windows behavior.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert

Chat:

Chatting has been a sore spot with MTGO since 3.0 was released.  I feel like the IRC style that MTGO had back in 2.5 was by far the best that we have seen so far.   Even though there were less players online at 2.5 the online chat rooms were full and we had a much better community then just due to the simple fact that we were able to communicate with each other.

Minimize: When I minimize a chat it just disappears.  I liked how in 2.5 it would go down to the bottom tab and then blink if someone replied.

Wasted Space: There is a ton of wasted space with the chat box and if you would like to see an example of a program that utilizes space well I would look at Google chat.  If you download the stand alone client it is extremely simple yet works flawlessly. 

Names on top: I just have to disagree with this design choice and I would again prefer chat to be as similar to IRC as possible.  Why try to fix something that isn’t broken?

Docking: Everyone hated the dock when it came out and yet it’s still there.  It makes chatting miserable and we really just need a simple way to minimize chats and be noticed with a flashing icon just like it was back in 2.5.   Docking as an option is fine but I think the chats should be default minimize to the bottom.  Once a window is docked it’s also not obvious how to undock it.

Clans: It seems like clans have again been ignored and will continue to become less useful going forward.  I believe clans have a lot of potential that WOTC has yet to tap into.  Some ideas I’ve had were clan rankings based on clan vs. clan matches, multiplayer clan vs. clan matches, etc.  Right now clans are just a glorified chat room and they should be given some functionality and purpose.

PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
The recent article claims that windows remember their layout. However, they only remember their last known UNMAXIMISED location and size, and always reappear in unmaximised form (for duel screen windows at least).

I believe that is standard Windows behavior.

It is indeed standard Windows behavior, but it's also something that can be changed by individual applications, by taking the time to remember the previous settings used.
I play on a Mac using a Parallels VM, have been for >5 years. The beta client seems to "flicker", kind of like I can watch it re-draw itself sometimes. It kind of looks like it stops displaying for a fraction of a second and then re-appears. Very distracting. I tweaked some VM settings, but it didn't make the problem go away. I joined an event with the beta client but had to switch to the old one during deck construction.

This problem went away after the latest update (9/7?)!
The buddy sign in alert really should have more options other than to be set both as on or off completely for all buddies. One such option should be being able to set it per buddy. I can't be the only one that has a lot of bots on my buddy list so as to remember who i've sold to or bought from.
I would really like a theme or some sort of option to change background colors. The light color in the background of everything is unpleasantly distracting for me, and the blinding white of the chat window makes me want to close it and never see it again. Also it seems odd that the card filters can't be applied to a binder, but maybe I'm just missing something.
The freezing is getting crazy. I've had to restart it 5 times tonight.

I also agree with the buddy popup. Not only do I not want to see all the bots coming on, it blocks my chats that I'm currently typing.

The cards need to be smaller when you are searching through the deck. It take forever for that to pop up.
When you do multiple things, the new client makes too many windows that clutter the taskbar compared to the current, which just has one.

I get significant lag whenever I open, minimize or move any chat box.

Trading Area: When you use the Search, the text box that displays is too small/too badly formatted/the text is too large. Expanding it all the way, I was only able to see 4 people's posts, compared to 12 in the current client - It's too tiring to use.

Sound: Might be just me, but none of the Sounds work.

For me the main issues on the Wide Beta are:

1- Cards looks really poor, doesn't look anything like real paper cards (previous client is much better), I really hope Wizards is planning to change that. Anyone knows if this is going to change?

2- There should be a way to scale the cards while playing. I mean cards on the battlefield could be a little bigger.

3- I really miss the binders on collection. Its a feature that makes you feel having a collection like in real life.

Well, I think Wizards target here is to make the game the closest to reallity the possible. Then they must focus on these issues and some others that I'm not mentioning.

Somebody also mentioned that the new client requires so much more clicks than the previous one, another thing I agree they should work on. 

I'm missing the option to save your deck when you draft (pick order etc.). Will this be worked on or is it completly scrapped?
Chat is problematic for me.

1. When minimizing, it vanishes altogether, requiring that you revert to Windows to view all running programs. I preferred the old client's way of handling it; have a tab that you can click to re-open a minimized chat.

2. When playing a game, clicking the "Chat & log" button does nothing if the Chat has been minimized? Why not have it pull the Chat & Log to the front?

3. The size of the Chat & Log box seems much larger than it needs to be.

Settings:

1. In game, the cards seem much smaller than necessary.

2. Enlarging the "table" space pushes my hand down below the level of the screen. It would be nice to have an option to either push the cards down, OR shrink them.
Foils are pitiful.  I can't even tell what color a foil card is without staring at the screen for a couple of seconds.

Funny you should put a thread about beta in general, the last place one would look for it. But oh well, here it is again:

I have eagerly been anticipating getting to try this new client, hopeful of better times in MTGO. That ended very quickly.

I downloaded the installer, I was already getting frustrated when I saw it was one of those tiny self-patchers and not an archive. Whatever. I can deal with that. But the next part is actually rage-inducing, sickening and despicable.

The thing doesn't ask me where I want to install it, it just goes ahead and starts patching. Angered as I am, I still cool down and assume the files go into the same folder where the patcher is. So I play the game with this client. It's actually pretty alright. Makes good use of screen space and the deck editor is intuitive and responsive though lacking a list view. Not too impressed by the actual game layout. Looks extremely boring and the preview being a separate window is frustrating. But this is not as important as what I found out today.

I went to start it again today, and to my amazement it starts downloading 180 megabyte again. I think "what is this crap?" and go to the folder, which is empty. "Surely, it wouldn't uninstall itself!?!"

So after downloading the thing again, I make a point of it to go to the process in task manager and find the file. This (=/#% piece of "#()%&R(=S has stealth-installed to freaking deep space inside several garbled folders in my C:/Users tree!?!! This is madness! This is not an installation, this is an abuse! Defilement! This is maltreatment of your customer's trust!

I am removing every last disfigured speckle of this vile program. I will not be using it again until released. And if it remains in this state upon release, I am washing my hands of Magic. Done. The online game is my last option of playing this game, but I will not use this software. This is software design desicions people should be dragged behind the shed for. You have some nerve.

Rage quitting because you don't like the install location seems kind of extreme. As long as the uninstall capability finds and removes all the hidden bits I don't care too much where it goes (Program Files or my home folder).

I wonder if the fact that it started downloading 180 megabytes again was related it being down for unscheduled maintenance? Hard to tell, your post was 5 minutes after the update about it coming back up.
This is another update. Whenever there is a new version you get to download the "whole" client again.
I don't know about anyone else but I would love to have seen a way to organize buddies into groups.  Its especially annoying to me to have like 6 bots all part of the same network of bots and all in different sections of my buddy list because there names are all vastly different. Even a way to rename or tag my buddies to my own liking would have solved that issue.

And of course the foils make me want to cry. You actually have to turn on animation if you want to be able to read the card without the risk of needing glasses from eye strain. 
Rage quitting because you don't like the install location seems kind of extreme. As long as the uninstall capability finds and removes all the hidden bits I don't care too much where it goes (Program Files or my home folder).

Leaving out the emotion, there are serious weaknesses in the way this works. I share my laptop with the family, and v3 requires a single installation for everyone, but multiple copies of the beta must be installed for anyone that wants to use it. Worse than that, If I'm backing up my user data I'm now forced to include about 180Mb of static client code every time, per person. It goes against the separation of programs from data.
I share my laptop with the family, and v3 requires a single installation for everyone, but multiple copies of the beta must be installed for anyone that wants to use it. Worse than that, If I'm backing up my user data I'm now forced to include about 180Mb of static client code every time, per person. It goes against the separation of programs from data.

Good points that I hadn't considere.! Does each copy also include its own card image cache, or are they somehow shared by all the users?

Here is the feedback I collected during my last draft on the beta.

Miscellaneous:
- Some notification, filters and other things are marked with an "X" that's rather weird looking. I didn't even recognize its meaning at first. It looks like a small x on a slightly larger circle.
- Horizontal buttons are nice, but take a lot of space (examples: Send button for chat, rectangular gameplay settings buttons bottom right).
- Why are some buttons round, some rectangular?
- The cursor doesn't change when moving/undocking/resizing (i.e., Stack) but at other times (i.e., resizing event info window). Would expect it to always behave the same way.
- The cursor does change to a hand symbol when I click on the battlefield. The reason for that is unclear to me.
- Anything that's there to inform newer players (sideboard info, "The Stack") should be hidable (after first read).
- The New Product Window "sort by Rarity" option puts Commons first. Not what you are usually most interest in.

HOME tab
- Buddy List in tile view is entirely too large and loads very slowly after login
- I would prefer to be a more clear differentiation between online and offline Buddies (at least a linebreak)
- Avatar loading doesn't seem to work always (Buddy list, Clan, Replays)

ACCOUNT tab
- I found my replays! Good to know that they exist, even though they are hard to find.
- The choice given for the Profanity Filter is counterintuitive at first. I would expect the option starting with "No" to mean no Profanity Filter, as that's what the setting is about. As there are only two options, I would prefer to just see a checkmark as for foil animations and other settings. (I'm not a GUI designer, but a text like "Enable Profanity Filter" should be sufficiently clear. If not, that's what the "?"-functionality is for.)
- The "Add Name" button for the Buddy list is counterintuitive. I understand that all you are doing is adding a name to a list, but what players are actually doing is defining another player as their buddy. I would prefer "Add as Buddy", "Add this User", "Add to Buddy List", and several other formulations to "Add Name". Same goes for the Blocked List. "Block this User"?

HELP tab
- Request a Reimbursement: I don't like a menu item to open up an http link. Would prefer an in-game page with a link (as in "Help on the Web" tab).

CHAT button
- When I open the Clan chat, it shows the offline users in the chat. Don't see a reason for them to appear there, especially bad for large clans.

If you need more details on any of the above, let me know. I'll also be posting the rest of my feedback in the other threads.
Ok, so I tryed the first Beta, and the program wouldn't fit in my screen, I got pretty much an ultra book, and not the biggest monitor, but when i maximize the program to the screen, I can't reach the bottom of the game, it's off screen.  I can't click the buttons to actually play a game, extremely frustrating!  The new wide release of Beta, I figured that surely this problem would be resolved, but alas, no, it hasn't, WTF?!! lol.  Am I an idiot? I've tried changing screen display resolution and such type thingys, but nothing has made it so I could click, keep this hand, or the okay button, during a game!! I'm not able to get the entire program to display in my screen, and I can't even scroll down to find it... Very frustrating, Wizards please address, or someone tell me a fix.  If this becomes default client and I simply can't play Magic Online, I would be a seriously sad panda, Thank You
Ok, so I tryed the first Beta, and the program wouldn't fit in my screen, I got pretty much an ultra book, and not the biggest monitor, but when i maximize the program to the screen, I can't reach the bottom of the game, it's off screen.  I can't click the buttons to actually play a game, extremely frustrating!  The new wide release of Beta, I figured that surely this problem would be resolved, but alas, no, it hasn't, WTF?!! lol.  Am I an idiot? I've tried changing screen display resolution and such type thingys, but nothing has made it so I could click, keep this hand, or the okay button, during a game!! I'm not able to get the entire program to display in my screen, and I can't even scroll down to find it... Very frustrating, Wizards please address, or someone tell me a fix.  If this becomes default client and I simply can't play Magic Online, I would be a seriously sad panda, Thank You

So my resolution setting max for my computer is 1366 X 768 which meets the "minimum requirements listed" however I think that that may be deceptive, please please address this before you make this the primary client
Just found that there's a setting for "Keep the Red Zone Open."
That's a step in the right direction, it prevents the annoying scaling. It would be nice to have an option to disable it entirely, though.

Oh, and bring back the old sounds please. Some of us need audio cues to quickly understand what's going on.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/50738226/Scorecards/Landscape.png)

My laptop screen is big enough to just barely fit v3 if I move the taskbar to the side. Maybe try that?

Winter.Wolf (ugh at this new forum with the ridiculous double login)

My laptop screen is big enough to just barely fit v3 if I move the taskbar to the side. Maybe try that?

Tried it, didn't work, thanks for the suggestion though, was hoping it would
I just played an entire match using the Beta client last night. I started on an old laptop, lost the swiss round, switched to another machine, got a bye, and then won the last round.

The cards seemed to look sharper to me, quite good actually. Not sure if this is because the old laptop's display sucked compared to my 30" high-resolution monitor. While I was playing I thought to myself that these cards looked much brighter.
After a limited event ends, that window that shows you the product that's been added to your collection is really annoying. I like to be able to move it to the side and open my collection to see how much closer the cards I opened bring me to completing playsets. But, I have to close this window before I can access my collection. And, as far as I can tell, the window doesn't resize. I'd like to sort it by rarity (crossing my fingers that that means mythic->rare->uncommon->common) and see most of the good stuff without having to scroll.
Version 3.4.69.238. My maximum screen resolution is 1280x800, i.e. higher than the minimum 1024x768, yet I am unable to access any of the input settings below the f8 binding.
Version 3.4.69.238. My maximum screen resolution is 1280x800, i.e. higher than the minimum 1024x768, yet I am unable to access any of the input settings below the f8 binding.

If you are talking about the Account > Input Setting screen, that is a known issue and will be addressed.  All key bindings will be available (and the two you are missing are not bound to anything).   If we are talking about a situation where you meet the minimum resolution requirements (primarily height) and still cannot see elements in the client, we need to know more.  

If you are talking about the Account > Input Setting screen, that is a known issue and will be addressed.  All key bindings will be available (and the two you are missing are not bound to anything).   If we are talking about a situation where you meet the minimum resolution requirements (primarily height) and still cannot see elements in the client, we need to know more.  

No, it's the known issue. I'm just impatient to see it fixed

What I mean is, that I have a serious reason for my comment. As I'm sure I've mentioned ad nauseam, my laptop pointing device isn't very good, and I can use the game a lot faster using the keyboard, and F9 for yes is a heap faster than alt+Y for yes too. Games being timed it makes a huge difference if i can maximise what I do throughthe function keys.

What I mean is, that I have a serious reason for my comment. As I'm sure I've mentioned ad nauseam, my laptop pointing device isn't very good, and I can use the game a lot faster using the keyboard, and F9 for yes is a heap faster than alt+Y for yes too. Games being timed it makes a huge difference if i can maximise what I do throughthe function keys.

Work-around until it is fixed:

Go to %AppData%\..\Local\Apps\2.0\Data\{alphanum}\{alphanum}\mtgo..tion_{alphanum}\Data\AppFiles\{alphanum}\ and open user_settings in a text editor. It is an XML file holding all of the account settings. (There are multiple alphanumeric folder names, and also a couple different user_settings, so you might have to hunt around to find the correct one with the keybindings.)

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
As a TO & event host, I have a serious bone to pick with the Beta chat; specifically, the lack of slash '/' , and other, "functions".

/away (message) is used quite often.

/eject playername is very useful, and used, in multiplayer games.

/me uses slash functions in everyday chat.

I currently use '/me [sSET 8ED R][sSET AVR R] blah blah blah' for "official" event text in event chat rooms. This makes my text stand out from the general clutter of background chat.

The [sSET XXx C/U/R/(M)] is also used more often than you might think.

/me also uses card links to "hotlink" a {Goat} when needed.

In the Beta chat, these (IMO) vital functions are not implemented, or done half-baked at best via a dropdown checkbox.

I am limited to mana symbols  and smilies for "official" announcements, and cannot stand out in the crowd if needed.

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

I personally won't use this until I can specify an install directory. My c: is a system drive it is for my OS and does not have enough space to be randomly installing apps to it.
I personally won't use this until I can specify an install directory. My c: is a system drive it is for my OS and does not have enough space to be randomly installing apps to it.

The new client is installed into the user's directory (specifically, %AppData%\..\Local\Apps\). This is the intended purpose of that space and will generally share a drive with all of the user's other data. While the default location of this is on C: (along with everything), if you have an advanced arrangement with C: being used only for system data, then user profile data should already be assigned somewhere else.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
Sign In to post comments