All Purpose Striker??

60 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have been working on a striker that could fill all the striker roles:

A.  Ranged
B.  Melee
C.  Area of Effect (AOE)

What I came up with so far is a Warlock PMC Sorcerer..  2 striker mechanics (Curse and Double Stat Damage), RBA via Acid Orb, MBA via Eldritch Strike and relying on AOE damage encounter powers.

It is generally thought that PMC builds are inferior to PP builds.

What I am asking for is suggestions on class / paragon path combinations that will do the following:

A.  Leader enabling friendly
B.  Striker damage benchmarks for Single Target and Multi-Target

Do not need full builds, just need some more ideas since I am LSM.

Thanks              
The striker mechanics don't work together.

Barbarian|Sorcerer would be a viable option too, combining some of the best melee encounter powers with lots of close blast and bursts. You will have a hard time combining the charge package with dual implement expertise though.

He's PMC, not hybrid. It's a terrible idea, but it technically works.

Barbarian|Sorcerer would be a viable option too, combining some of the best melee encounter powers with lots of close blast and bursts.

OP, this is a good option. Fullblade and Arcane Implement Proficiency sounds right.

You will have a hard time combining the charge package with dual implement expertise though.

What.
Thri-kreen STR/DEX Ranger. Take their racial weapon proficiency. Swap your not-Twinstrike at-will for Rapid Shot. That'll do it.

Would you consider going hybrid Exe here to pick up the easy extra damage on the RBA's from Rapid Shot?
You will have a hard time combining the charge package with dual implement expertise though.

What.

Ok, that wasn't precise. Howling Strike uses a two handed weapon, which can't be combined with dual implement expertise without feat investment to switch weapons fast enough. You'll probably lose either charge damage or arcane implement power damage.

The Ranger will have an easier life feat wise anyway.
Thri-kreen STR/DEX Ranger. Take their racial weapon proficiency. Swap your not-Twinstrike at-will for Rapid Shot. That'll do it.

Would you consider going hybrid Exe here to pick up the easy extra damage on the RBA's from Rapid Shot?

No

No

Explain, por favor?
It makes your character worse so you shouldn't do it.
I have been working on a striker that could fill all the striker roles:

A.  Ranged
B.  Melee
C.  Area of Effect (AOE)

What I came up with so far is a Warlock PMC Sorcerer..  2 striker mechanics (Curse and Double Stat Damage), RBA via Acid Orb, MBA via Eldritch Strike and relying on AOE damage encounter powers.

It is generally thought that PMC builds are inferior to PP builds.

What I am asking for is suggestions on class / paragon path combinations that will do the following:

A.  Leader enabling friendly
B.  Striker damage benchmarks for Single Target and Multi-Target

Do not need full builds, just need some more ideas since I am LSM.

Thanks              

Strait up Dragonborn Dragon Sorc does it.
Ensorcelled Blade and Dragonfrost at-will give you constant ability to be granted basics by a leader. With minor investment (MC Fighter for Draconic Arrogance and the light blade package) both can net you benchmark DPR on their own.
Huge Burst Nova in the form of Dragon Breath, Flame Spiral, AP Thunder Leap, Dragon Breath (7 damage rolls). (Ancient Soul, Nusemnee's Atonement, Draconic Spellcasting, Mark of Storm). That fills up your feats from 1-12, the rebreather thread will have more options for later (I suggest defenses)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.

I was hoping for something more insightful... in what ways does it become worse?

I was hoping for something more insightful... in what ways does it become worse?

Because you have to be Human to do it, or it costs you Twin Strike.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I don't think you need to look any farther than Zathris' post (taking his suggestion to look up the rebreather thread).
A Ranger|Monk of some sort (probably Thri-kreen), or a Half-elf Monk could probably do the job too, depending on the level you're looking for. Since range and melee striking can both be done with twin strike, at heroic a ranger hybrid of some sort (Monk, Sorcerer, etc.) and at paragon any half-elf striker with TS Dilettante and a few AoE's should work fine. Half-elves get to use the same stat for both melee and ranged twin strike, so they are the best cheaters. You'll probably need Battle Harness and Fast Hands for weapon swapping issues. You may want the Elemental Initiate theme if you're not a ki focus user.

Because you have to be Human to do it, or it costs you Twin Strike.

It took me a min to figure out what you meant, but I got you. However I am still inclined to stick by my original opinion. Drop the Ranger at will for Rapid Shot, then take Ranger encounters and Assassin's Strike to up your single target damage. This makes you a mob killer, plus decent against the BBEG.

I get that statistically Twin Shot is one of the best powers in the game, but I think I could give it up if it meant I could attack everythng in a burst one doing somethng like 2d8+mod damage at level one.
Seriously, you're taking the best single target striker to be a godawful multi target striker? Just play a sorc at that point.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Seriously, you're taking the best single target striker to be a godawful multi target striker? Just play a sorc at that point.

He was asking for a single and multi target striker, someone suggested Ranger and I was positing a way for that to happen. 
At which point, the sorcerer blows that away.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

Barbarian|Sorcerer would be a viable option too, combining some of the best melee encounter powers with lots of close blast and bursts. You will have a hard time combining the charge package with dual implement expertise though.

way ahead of you...I have been toying with Sorc hybrids for a while...take a look

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Selecous The Vile, level 8
Dragonborn, Barbarian/Sorcerer
Sorcerous Power Option: Sorcerous Power Strength >>Str to sorc dmg and AC, sure!
Hybrid Talent Option: Barbarian Armored Agility >>Hide armor and a little boost
Arcane Implement Proficiency Option: Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blade group) >>I will be casting through a heavy blade
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade) >>+1 attk to ALL heavy blade attacks
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Staff) >>needed filler, also see Alt Item build at bottom
Dragonborn Racial Power Option: Dragon Breath
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Fire
Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)
Theme: Infernal Prince >>+1 fire attacks, no matter the source

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 12, DEX 12, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 20

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 12, DEX 12, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 16

AC: 26 Fort: 23 Ref: 19 Will: 23
HP: 68 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 19

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +8, Intimidate +16, Nature +9 >>Didn't seem right NOT to have training in Arc and Nat, but thats up to you

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Athletics +8, Bluff +11, Diplomacy +11, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +4, Heal +4, History +5, Insight +4, Perception +4, Religion +3, Stealth +4, Streetwise +9, Thievery +4

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Infernal Prince Attack: Hellfire Heart
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragon Breath
Barbarian Attack 1: Howling Strike >>1D12+1D6+7 dmg, when charging 1D12+1D6+1D6+7, see horned helm
Sorcerer Attack 1: Burning Spray >>Way better then breath weapon
Barbarian Attack 1: Savage Cut >>Just a brute force hit
Sorcerer Attack 1: Chromatic Orb 
Barbarian Utility 2: Shrug It Off >>get out of bad spot
Sorcerer Attack 3: Flame Spiral 
Barbarian Attack 5: Silver Phoenix Rage >>Regen, plus a healing if dropped to 0, plus Infernal Prince adds to attack
Sorcerer Utility 6: Sudden Scales  >>get out of bad spot
Sorcerer Attack 7: Spark Form >>get out of bad spot, and deal damage to all enemies I pass through

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent >>armor
Level 2: Arcane Implement Proficiency >>Heavy blade, also consider if I use a, for example, Sunblade, and convert all damage to Radiant then all my Sorc powers become Radiant too. Radiant Spray, Radiant Orb, Radiant Spiral ect. If I got Flaming Weapon, then I could convert any Sorc power to Fire, even if it wasnt intended to be a fire attack, and get my Hellfire bonus to attack, without Arcane Adimixture.
Level 4: Improved Defenses >>Cant think of something else, +1 NAD always good
Level 6: Versatile Expertise
Level 8: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade) +3 Prof and 1d12 damage, YES

ITEMS
Belt of Vigor (heroic tier) x1 
Shielding Blade Fullblade +2 x1 >>+1 AC, could use a different weapon
Marauder's Hide Armor +2 x1 >>+1 AC when charging, hit with charge grants healing
Resilience Amulet +2 x1 >>Save against on going damage
Horned Helm (heroic tier) x1 >>+1D6 damage on charge
Gloves of Piercing x1 
====== End ======

ALT gear to consider: Staff of Serpents I know Staff lol, but hear me out 
All melee damage gets an extra 1d6 Poison damage. While Poison is resisted by many foes, you also have Gloves of Piercing to break through some of that resistance. 
With SoS
Howling Strike = 1D8+2D6+1D6(poison)+7 on charge. Later levels you can get staff of corrosion, which is the same but Acid. You also can get Staff Expert, which gives you +1 attk, you dont provoke when casting spells, and you get +1 reach. You would want to leave Fullblade, Vers, and Arcane Imp feats behind. Take hafted defence for +1 AC and Reflex. Use your last feat well...

Personally I still like the Fullblade better. Any thoughts on this guy? He has range, melee, charge, blast, and with some tweaking, burst (Glacial Armor)...Consider, this char does not qualify for Dragon Magic without giving up armor.
I cannot ever take a post seriously when it uses the phrase "get out of a bad spot", it's such a uselessly ambiguous phrase that makes me think poorly of the person saying it. You just used it to describe a Save Granter, an II Shield, and a Skirmish Attack, completely different things!
/whine
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
My Eladrin hybrid Ranger|Tempest Fighter, with two short swords and a bow, obviously has both melee and ranged covered.

By systematically picking high-mobility options and multi-target attacks from both classes, he can emulate an area-effect power - burst or blast - fairly well. (At level 1, a move action plus Tempest Dance is comparable to, perhaps a bit better than, what you could typically expect from an Area 3 within 7.) And all his powers are party-friendly. 

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Eladrin have 4 hands? I thought that was a Thri-kreen feat.

Not in a thousand years. Rapid shot will only ever be used when 3+ targets are present, in which case we really don't care about getting attack finesse on ONE of them anyway.

See, that's why I come in here. When I brain fart on something, I know someone will enlighten me.
 (At level 1, a move action plus Tempest Dance is comparable to, perhaps a bit better than, what you could typically expect from an Area 3 within 7.) And all his powers are party-friendly. 

Lolwut? No
I cannot ever take a post seriously when it uses the phrase "get out of a bad spot", it's such a uselessly ambiguous phrase that makes me think poorly of the person saying it. You just used it to describe a Save Granter, an II Shield, and a Skirmish Attack, completely different things!
/whine

Why so serious? Or is dismissive a more accurate for this occasion?

All the powers in question are intended to be escape mechanisms good sir! They are all selected to help escape the many unfavorable situations that a character may encounter. Some do so by granting Saves, some by stopping attacks from landing, and some by enchancing mobility.  In my opinion no Striker of any flavor or intent should be without them. Some other people disagree, and want to focus on damage dealing attacks. Nothing wrong with a Striker focusing exclusively on damage with no reguard to personal safety. I prefer characters to have some survivability options during a given encounter.

That's another problem I have with it, everyone who uses that phrase is a coward, lol. When you take 3 powers for the purpose of "getting out of a bad spot" and you aren't a Brit, it shows that you're scared of taking hits. It has nothing to do with the quality of the powers (though Shrug it Off is bad) and everything to do with your perception of how combat occurs and why you chose those powers.
That's another problem I have with it, everyone who uses that phrase is a coward, lol. When you take 3 powers for the purpose of "getting out of a bad spot" and you aren't a Brit, it shows that you're scared of taking hits. It has nothing to do with the quality of the powers (though Shrug it Off is bad) and everything to do with your perception of how combat occurs and why you chose those powers.

4/10. It is true that I do not like playing squishy characters. It's just not my style. However covering all my bases is not cowardly behavior, as an unconscious striker is usually an ineffective striker. Don't forget this character is part Barbarian. He is expected to get into trouble for a variety of reasons, and the party may not be available to help.  

However, laying on the damage is good too. What are some offencive oriented powers that could aid this character instead of escapes?
Thank you everyone for the suggestions....

I will be researching more the Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer since it seems to be more straight forward and theoretically the build will be for LFR from levels 1-30.  Keeping multiple weapons with current enhancements is a pain in LFR and being a Thri-Kreen is a good suggestion mechanic wise but roleplay wise I do not want to be a bug. 
Dragonborn Sorcs are rather complex in set up, assuming you breath on yourself
Elementalist Sorcerer - Fire - Unseelie Agent (at level 1)
You get ignition which is a nice area burst 1d10+bonuses
Your elemental bolt deals 1d12+1d6+bonuses

For Unseelie Agent grab the dagger.
Take the  Sorcerous Blade Channeling allowing you to use your elemental bolt as a melee attack
Take Superior Implement Profiency to get an Incendiary Dagger impliment
(This works best as human at level 1, or if you're starting at level 2 or higher as a dragonborn and choose the breath (roleplay that all your fire attacks are fire breath attack for fluff, not mechanics? Hahaha))

You're going to be extremely squishy though (isn't this why they're generally ranged and why we have defenders) but combine this with some of the white lotus feats and spellfury feats and you'll be able to have a bit more survivability in melee.

Of course at level 9 you can grab the Ensorcelled blade (or level 1 I believe if you're a human)
And, once you're past level 1 and you can grab a magic weapon (around level 2 or 3) grab a Flameburst Incendiary Dagger +1 and retrain your unseelie agent to Infernal Prince, even more fire damage! :D

Edit:

A level 5 Dragonborn Elementalist

level 5
Dragonborn, Sorcerer (Elementalist)
Elemental Specialty Option: Fire Elementalist
Dragonborn Racial Power Option: Dragon Breath
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Constitution
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Fire
Theme: Infernal Prince

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 17, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 21

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 18

AC: 15 Fort: 15 Ref: 12 Will: 19
HP: 49 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 15

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +7, Diplomacy +14, History +9, Intimidate +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Athletics +2, Bluff +9, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +5, Heal +1, Insight +1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion +2, Stealth +2, Streetwise +7, Thievery +2

POWERS
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragon Breath
Sorcerer Attack: Elemental Bolt
Sorcerer Attack: Ignition
Sorcerer Attack: Elemental Escalation (Fire)
Sorcerer Utility 2: Shield of Flames

FEATS
Level 1: Superior Implement Training (Incendiary dagger)
Level 2: Sorcerous Blade Channeling
Level 4: White Lotus Riposte

ITEMS
Flameburst Incendiary dagger +1 x1
====== End ======

Or a level 5 Human Elementalist

level 5
Human, Sorcerer (Elementalist)
Elemental Specialty Option: Fire Elementalist
Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power
Theme: Infernal Prince

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 15, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 21

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 18

AC: 16 Fort: 15 Ref: 13 Will: 20
HP: 47 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +7, Bluff +14, Diplomacy +14, History +7, Intimidate +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Athletics +2, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +4, Heal +1, Insight +1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion +2, Stealth +2, Streetwise +7, Thievery +2

POWERS
Sorcerer Attack: Elemental Bolt
Sorcerer Attack: Ignition
Sorcerer Attack: Elemental Escalation (Fire)
Sorcerer Attack 1: Ensorcelled Blade
Sorcerer Utility 2: Shield of Flames

FEATS
Superior Implement Training (Incendiary dagger)
Level 1: White Lotus Defense
Level 2: Sorcerous Blade Channeling
Level 4: Unarmored Agility

ITEMS
Flameburst Incendiary dagger +1 x1
====== End ======

The human gets the Ensorcelled Blade right off the get-go, while the Dragonborn has to wait til level 9 for it.

Either way, you're doing tons of fire damage, around +12 on top of your dice rolls for most all attacks and 1d12+1d6+12 damage from a melee attack (non-MBA) is near Barbarian-raging attack.
Plus 1d10 and against 2 targets, or2 against the same target, possibly from your escalation.
And at level 5 your escalation can be used against 2 targets AND by level 3 you're using your escalation twice an encounter.

Not to mention to use it as a ranged attack you're firing off the the strongest ranged attack, short of a ranger with a greatbow, maybe?
Entirely worse than stock Sorcerers.
Entirely worse than stock Sorcerers, especially Ancient Soul rebreathers, I don't know why you'd bother posting it.

I'm new to this, dude.

What makes the Ancient Soul rebreathers so great? 
Entirely worse than stock Sorcerers, especially Ancient Soul rebreathers, I don't know why you'd bother posting it.

I'm new to this, dude.

Dragonbreath is a minor action attack. Moves can be downgraded to minors. So you end doing two 3x3 clolse blasts+a standard action attack. That is the gist. The feat support, the potential synergies, the PPs.... so many, many things just add onto it.

I'm new to this, dude.

Dragonbreath is a minor action attack. Moves can be downgraded to minors. So you end doing two 3x3 clolse blasts+a standard action attack. That is the gist. The feat support, the potential synergies, the PPs.... so many, many things just add onto it.

I see, but wasn't he wanting something more than just spamming breath attacks? Something that had a melee attack, ranged attack, melee basic, ranged basic, and AoE attacks? Leader friendly means he can use his melee basic or ranged basic when they enable him, yes?

A rebreather has to worry about teamates in its breath attack, doesn't it? Or is there a feat that lets you target enemies only?
Sorcs have an MBA. Check. Sorcs have RBAs. Check. Sorcs have AoE attacks. Check. 

Rebreather is a complicated build I won't go into, but your allies aren't in any danger. You are.

Yay for encouraging people to contribute!
People are dumb. Also, elementalists are terrible.
Elementalists are not terrible, just average.  Terrible would put them down with binders and blackguards.
Terrible=not worth playing. Which they are, along with binders and blackguards.

Yay for encouraging people to contribute!

The only thing that was accomplished by him posting was that Alcestis had to educate him, and my post (but not the multitude of quotes) getting moderated, and of course your reply!

While his answer was technically correct, it was repetitious of previous comments suggesting sorcerer, but downgrading the effectiveness for utterly no reason. I'm sorry if my dismissiveness offended you, but to me, such posts are effectively the same, as someone hanging outside Best Buy with a trench coat trying to sell me Coby products; it's also a pet peeve of mine after nearly two decades on gaming forums, when people don't read/understand previous posts, but still feel the need to 'contribute', which I will now compare to Gordon Ramsey telling someone they should have beef wellington for lunch, and then me suggesting a ham sandwich.
And your post was akin to a guy standing outside of said Best Buy and throwing rocks at people who bought televisions he didn't like. When you could either let them walk by, or politely guide them back into the store and point them to a better product. If they still choose not to buy it, oh well.
And your post was akin to a guy standing outside of said Best Buy and throwing rocks at people who bought televisions he didn't like. When you could either let them walk by, or politely guide them back into the store and point them to a better product. If they still choose not to buy it, oh well.

That metaphor has too many holes to mention