Require assistance with a hybrid Executioner|Warlock

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi Folks, this idea came about from a recent post I made asking for assistance with a build for my wife. With the plethora of ideas and suggestions I recieved it was made apparent to me that there was, in fact, a better way of creating a "hexblade". Two posters (Jugulator007 and erachima), made a suggestion of using a hybrid executioner|warlock build to better facilitate my idea. Shortly afterwards, and much research, I realised that it was a very potent idea. So, below is the beginnings of what I hope is an actual full blown "optimized" build. One caveat: I am not by nature an optimizer which is the reason why I am posting here. Please review what I have and let me know what you think:

Human, Warlock|Executioner
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Fey Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Will
Guild Attacks (Hybrid): Red Scale (Hybrid)
Hybrid Executioner: Hybrid Executioner Fortitude
Background:
Theme:

FEATS
1 Pact Blade Manifestation, Cursed Shadow
2 Ki Focus Expertise
3 Implement Focus (Ki Focus)
6 Killing Curse
8 Wintertouched
10 Assassin's Cloak

PARAGON FEATS
11 Lasting Frost
12 Deft Blade
14 Elusive Hexer
16 Killer in the Crowd

POWERS
at-will 1: Icy Skewer
at-will 1: Quick Lunge
at-will 1: Poisoned Dagger
encounter 1: Assassin's Strike
daily 1: Carrion Crawler Brain Juice
utility 2: Eyes of the Spider Queen    
encounter 3: Pipes of Winter
daily 5: Emerald Shield
utility 6: Darting Shadow
encounter 7: Touch of Command
daily 9: Curse of the Black Forest
utility 10: Persistant Tail

GEAR
Rain of Hammers Ki Focus +1, and some other stuff ...

The build offers a great deal of stealth related options and concealment. Along with a healthy dose of damage. One pressing question I have is whether or not Light Blade Expertise would be worth it as he will be gaining CA often (via frostcheese).

Thanks for all help offered (also a big thanks for both Jugulator007 and erachima for mentioning the idea in the first place).
You can't take the Hexblade at-wills with the human extra at-will, unfortunately.  Even if you could, they still require the appropriate Hexblade weapon to function, which you wouldn't have.

I like Eladrin or Tieflings for this style of melee Warlock build.  Eladrin get Eldritch Blade for extra accuracy on Eldritch Strike, and Eladrin Swordmage Advance from multiclassing into Swordmage.  Tiefling get a load of nice support in Paragon, and can add fire damage/admixture Eldritch Strike to take advantage of Infernal Prince and Hellfire Blood.  Warlock's Wrath is an excellent addition for Tieflings, especially if you'll be in melee range.

Look into other things you can expand your Warlock's Curse to include.  Protective Hex, Mindbite Scorn for more damage, Relentless Curse to help with action economy, Twofold Curse for spreading curses more rapidly.

I would suggest Carrion Crawler Brain Juice over Bloodroot Poison, as Brain Juice lasts the entire encounter and adds a slow to your attacks, where Bloodroot is only a daze on a single target.

Armor of Dark Majesty is +2 to all defenses against cursed enemies or Shadow Warlock Armor is basically lifelong Combat Advantage against cursed enemies.  You'll probably want Gloves of Eldritch Admixture for a hand-slot item, for extra damage and getting around resistances.

Level 7 should be Touch of Command, since you'll be in melee range often.  A reaction dominate as an encounter power is hard to beat.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
You can't take the Hexblade at-wills with the human extra at-will, unfortunately.  Even if you could, they still require the appropriate Hexblade weapon to function, which you wouldn't have.

The feat Pact Weapon Manifestation grants me the at-will attack power of the selected hexblade pact.

I like Eladrin or Tieflings for this style of melee Warlock build.  Eladrin get Eldritch Blade for extra accuracy on Eldritch Strike, and Eladrin Swordmage Advance from multiclassing into Swordmage.  Tiefling get a load of nice support in Paragon, and can add fire damage/admixture Eldritch Strike to take advantage of Infernal Prince and Hellfire Blood.  Warlock's Wrath is an excellent addition for Tieflings, especially if you'll be in melee range.

In our games we remove the racial requirement for feats (acception to this are racial feas which rely on an actual racial ability). In light of this which racial feats would prove best; Eladrin or Tiefling?

Look into other things you can expand your Warlock's Curse to include.  Protective Hex, Mindbite Scorn for more damage, Relentless Curse to help with action economy, Twofold Curse for spreading curses more rapidly.

I will look into each of these.

I would suggest Carrion Crawler Brain Juice over Bloodroot Poison, as Brain Juice lasts the entire encounter and adds a slow to your attacks, where Bloodroot is only a daze on a single target.

I have made the above change to my OP.

Armor of Dark Majesty is +2 to all defenses against cursed enemies or Shadow Warlock Armor is basically lifelong Combat Advantage against cursed enemies.  You'll probably want Gloves of Eldritch Admixture for a hand-slot item, for extra damage and getting around resistances.

Awesome suggestions! The Shadow Warlock Armour seems like an awesome addition to my gear.

Level 7 should be Touch of Command, since you'll be in melee range often.  A reaction dominate as an encounter power is hard to beat.

I have made the above change to my OP.

Many thanks for the help so far!

Consider the Sorcerer King pact, for Mindbite Scorn (because it's pretty good) and Two-Fold Pact at paragon for Elemental Pact to do additional damage.  Sorc-King pact is pretty easily refluffed as a"demonic/devilish" entity gave you powers.  Elemental is pretty generic fluffwise as well.

EDIT:  Misunderstood your pact-weapon feat.  I see why you're fey-pact now.
Consider the Sorcerer King pact, for Mindbite Scorn (because it's pretty good) and Two-Fold Pact at paragon for Elemental Pact to do additional damage.  Sorc-King pact is pretty easily refluffed as a"demonic/devilish" entity gave you powers.  Elemental is pretty generic fluffwise as well.

EDIT:  Misunderstood your pact-weapon feat.  I see why you're fey-pact now.

Due to the build focusing on the fey-pact/pact weapon are my feat and power choices alright or just meh?

we're going under the assumption of using a feat that doesn't exist?
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
we're going under the assumption of using a feat that doesn't exist?

Ugh, this is probably the reason why I stay away from actually attemting to optimize anything. I totally forgot that technically the feat doesn't exist, however. For this build lets assume that it does in fact exist. Smile

I personally prefer Pixie for this, going Dex/Cha for the mobility
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

I totally forgot that technically the feat doesn't exist, however. For this build lets assume that it does in fact exist.

Assuming the feat does exist, I would still save a feat by going with Eldritch Strike, using an Alhulak, and taking Flail Expertise instead of Ki Focus Expertise. This gives you Dope Sliding + Illnasty Proning. This theme is further improved by multiclassing Fighter, (Battle Awareness if you can swing the offstats, Wrathful Warrior if you cannot) and grabbing Dragging Flail, and becomes even more ridiculous in paragon with Lashing Flail. Rushing Cleats are, at this point, humorously overkill.
Rapier for the light blade perks.
Either of the 2 armors mentioned.
The level 2 bracers of damage.
Revenant for extra living, plus the racial power isn't horribad.
Sorc King + killing curse (KC is negotiable).
Nimble blade
Light Blade Expertise.
Rogue MC is a good combo with this setup.
Possible Surprising Charge.
Take Delban's/Touch of command for your 3/7 encounter powers, bcause you'll get curse damage (remember, it's per turn, not per round) AGAIN if you react and zap them with either.
Crawler Brain juice as suggested.
Level 1 daily is one of my personal favorite powers ever, Decree of Khirad.
Paragon take deft blade.  Now you're stupid accurate with ES.
Can take etheral stride for an at will teleport, ghost on the rooftops for assassin's creed style climbing/jumping, plus you could totally seduce any homophobe with your rolls (on charisma skills).

Essentially, you eld strike on your turn for [EDIT: forgot weapon damage, der!] 4d8+cha+statics (MC rogue to toss an extra 2d6 1/enc with CA, and don't forget Assassin's strike), using the slide to position as needed to get CA for friends or stick them next to a defender.  Off turns you're in melee, they do nothing, you win.  Hit someone else (hopefully the defender), you win, or hit you and take another power damage+curse+cha+statics + defender smack, you win again!
Just a question; why doesn't this feat exist?
Just a question; why doesn't this feat exist?

Because it was un-person'd (un-feated?) by WotC when they realized how pointless it made hexblades, when you could just be a Warlock and be a better version of them. It's a pretty OK houserule to put it back in so people don't have to Hexblade.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Rapier for the light blade perks.
Either of the 2 armors mentioned.
The level 2 bracers of damage.
Revenant for extra living, plus the racial power isn't horribad.
Sorc King + killing curse (KC is negotiable).
Nimble blade
Light Blade Expertise.
Rogue MC is a good combo with this setup.
Possible Surprising Charge.
Take Delban's/Touch of command for your 3/7 encounter powers, bcause you'll get curse damage (remember, it's per turn, not per round) AGAIN if you react and zap them with either.
Crawler Brain juice as suggested.
Level 1 daily is one of my personal favorite powers ever, Decree of Khirad.
Paragon take deft blade.  Now you're stupid accurate with ES.
Can take etheral stride for an at will teleport, ghost on the rooftops for assassin's creed style climbing/jumping, plus you could totally seduce any homophobe with your rolls (on charisma skills).

Essentially, you eld strike on your turn for [EDIT: forgot weapon damage, der!] 4d8+cha+statics (MC rogue to toss an extra 2d6 1/enc with CA, and don't forget Assassin's strike), using the slide to position as needed to get CA for friends or stick them next to a defender.  Off turns you're in melee, they do nothing, you win.  Hit someone else (hopefully the defender), you win, or hit you and take another power damage+curse+cha+statics + defender smack, you win again!

Thats awesome! I will attempt to adjust my build accordingly. Once I am done I will post it here for review.
Alrighty, I finally had a chance to use my friends DDI access to create my character. Please review and let me know what you think.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Raeth - Copy, level 12
Human, Assassin (Executioner)/Warlock, Guild Executioner
Guild Attacks (Hybrid) Option: Red Scales (Hybrid)
Hybrid Assassin (Executioner) Option: Hybrid Executioner Fortitude
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Sorcerer-King Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Will
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort
Theme: Sohei

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 13, DEX 20, INT 12, WIS 11, CHA 20

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 12, DEX 16, INT 11, WIS 10, CHA 15

AC: 22 Fort: 25 Ref: 26 Will: 26
HP: 80 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Intimidate +16, Perception +13, Stealth +16, Thievery +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +7, Athletics +7, Bluff +11, Diplomacy +11, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +7, Heal +6, History +7, Insight +8, Nature +6, Religion +7, Streetwise +11

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Sohei Attack: Sohei Flurry
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Assassin Attack: Poisoned Dagger
Assassin Attack: Quick Lunge
Warlock's Curse  Power: Warlock's Curse
Assassin Attack: Assassin's Strike
: Swap Daily For Poison Recipe (Carrion Crawler Brain Juice)
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Warlock Utility 2: Eyes of the Spider Queen
Warlock Attack 3: Delban's Deadly Attention
Warlock Attack 5: Emerald Shield
Assassin Utility 6: Ghost of the Rooftops
Warlock Attack 7: Touch of Command
Assassin Attack 9: Bound by Shadow
Warlock Utility 10: Shadow Armor
Guild Executioner Utility 12: Daring Escape

FEATS
Level 1: Light Blade Expertise
Level 1: Cursed Shadow
Level 2: Nimble Blade
Level 4: Rod Expertise
Level 6: Weapon Focus (Light blade)
Level 8: Killing Curse
Level 10: Sneak of Shadows
Level 11: Deft Blade
Level 12: Great Fortitude

ITEMS
Carrion Crawler Brain Juice
Shadow Warlock Leather Armor +2
Assassin's Rapier +2
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier)
Amulet of Protection +3 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Rod Implement x1
====== End ======

Thanks!
If you want to have even more fun, take twofold pact to get star pact so you can a) actually have a pact boon, and b) qualify for the awesome Student of Caiphon path.  It'll be decent until you can get a radiant weapon, then it'll be much better.  Also start with a 20 cha post racial, no reason not to.
If you want to have even more fun, take twofold pact to get star pact so you can a) actually have a pact boon, and b) qualify for the awesome Student of Caiphon path.  It'll be decent until you can get a radiant weapon, then it'll be much better.  Also start with a 20 cha post racial, no reason not to.

Hahahahah, twofold pact is made out of win! Its unbelievably good. The bummer is that I thought that I made a good choice picking up Guild Executioner as my PP. I guess if I did take Twofold Pact I would swap out Killing Curse Great Fortitude. Does that seem like a good idea? I will edit this post once I redo my build with Twofold Pact. In the meantime mind telling me if my power/feat/gear choices are good.

Really appreciate all the help Jugulator007! This character is going to rock during play.

Superior will and worship sehanine + frost rapier are good choices as well, until you can pick up a radiant weapon.  Take arcane implement proficiency light blade to use your rapier as your implement for the couple warlock powers you use that aren't eld strike.

Twofold pact you can't take till 11, so you can keep both, but the build is pretty tight on feats into mid paragon.  Another choice is avenger/executioner:

Show

Vorgyrn, level 12
Drow, Avenger/Assassin (Executioner), Arbiter of Forgotten Justice
Hybrid Avenger Option: Hybrid Avenger Fortitude
Guild Attacks (Hybrid) Option: League of Whispers (Hybrid)
Hybrid Assassin (Executioner) Option: Hybrid Executioner Will
Hybrid Talent Option: Armor of Faith
Darkfire Option: Darkfire Wisdom
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 11, DEX 19, INT 12, WIS 23, CHA 9

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 10, DEX 14, INT 11, WIS 18, CHA 8

AC: 28 Fort: 20 Ref: 23 Will: 26
HP: 91 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 22

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +17, Insight +20, Perception +20, Religion +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +7, Athletics +6, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering +12, Endurance +6, Heal +12, History +7, Intimidate +7, Nature +12, Stealth +12, Streetwise +5, Thievery +10

POWERS
Drow Racial Power: Darkfire
Avenger Feature: Oath of Enmity
Assassin Attack: Precision Dart
Assassin Attack: Quick Shot
: Swap Daily For Poison Recipe
: Swap Second Daily For Poison Recipe
Avenger Attack 1: Overwhelming Strike
Invoker Attack 1: Sun Strike
Avenger Utility 2: Distracting Flare
Avenger Attack 3: Fury's Advance
Avenger Attack 5: Menacing Presence
Perception Utility 6: Guided Shot
Avenger Attack 7: Splinter the Formation
Assassin Utility 10: Walk Through Shadow
Arbiter of Forgotten Justice Attack 11: Smiting Blades
Arbiter of Forgotten Justice Utility 12: Favor the Faithful

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Power of Skill
Level 4: Weapon Proficiency (Waraxe)
Level 6: Axe Expertise
Level 8: Acolyte of Divine Secrets
Level 10: Wintertouched
Level 11: Painful Oath
Level 12: Lasting Frost

ITEMS
Frost Waraxe +3 x1
Vigorous Resolve Vestments Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +3 x1
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1
Elven Chain Shirt (heroic tier)
Shielding Blade Dagger +1 x1
Casque of Tactics (heroic tier) x1
Acrobat Boots x1
Gauntlets of Blood (heroic tier) x1
====== End ======

Made it a while ago, so it's not quite up to date, but the core is there.
Here is the updated build using the Student of Caiphon PP:

Raeth - Copy, level 12
Human, Assassin (Executioner)/Warlock, Student of Caiphon
Guild Attacks (Hybrid) Option: Red Scales (Hybrid)
Hybrid Assassin (Executioner) Option: Hybrid Executioner Fortitude
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Sorcerer-King (Hybrid)
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Will
Twofold Pact Option: Star Pact
Arcane Implement Proficiency Option: Arcane Implement Proficiency (light blade group)
Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 13, DEX 19, INT 12, WIS 11, CHA 20

AC: 20 Fort: 22 Ref: 24 Will: 26
HP: 80 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 20

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Intimidate +16, Perception +13, Stealth +15, Thievery +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +7, Athletics +7, Bluff +11, Diplomacy +11, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +7, Heal +6, History +7, Insight +8, Nature +6, Religion +7, Streetwise +11

POWERS
Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
Assassin Attack: Poisoned Dagger
Assassin Attack: Quick Lunge
Warlock's Curse  Power: Warlock's Curse
: Swap Daily For Poison Recipe
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Warlock Attack 1: Dire Radiance
Warlock Pact Boon 1: Fate of the Void
Warlock Utility 2: Eyes of the Spider Queen
Warlock Attack 3: Delban's Deadly Attention
Warlock Attack 5: Emerald Shield
Assassin Utility 6: Ghost of the Rooftops
Warlock Attack 7: Touch of Command
Assassin Attack 9: Bound by Shadow
Warlock Utility 10: Shadow Armor
Student of Caiphon Attack 11: Trust in the Guide Star
Student of Caiphon Utility 12: Steps on the Purple Stair

FEATS
Cursed Shadow
Level 1: Light Blade Expertise
Level 2: Nimble Blade
Level 4: Arcane Implement Proficiency (light blades)
Level 6: Weapon Focus (Light blade)
Level 8: Killing Curse
Level 10: Sneak of Shadows
Level 11: Deft Blade
Level 12: Twofold Pact

ITEMS
Shadow Warlock Leather Armor +2
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier)
Adventurer's Kit
Assassin's Rapier +2
====== End ======

Phew. I know that I could tweak things further. However, this build really only reaches its zenith when I can get a radiant weapon at level 15. Until then I would think this setup is decent enough.