Story Chain?

476 posts / 0 new
Last post
As a relative newcomer to the flavor side of this forum, I have no idea if something like this has been done before (or is being done now, even) but I wanted to see if there was any interest out there.

One of the things I used to love doing in my writing groups was that exercise where one person starts a story, and writes anywhere between a few sentences and a page or so. Then, the next person continues the story from that point, again writing a short amount.

It seems to me that the flavor forum would be an ideal place to try it, if I can get a few people interested.

I would be tempted to do at least some community pre-writing before we jump in, but if people would rather, I would be fine just going for it.

Here's my pitch:
   I really enjoyed the two Legends cycles of novels, and I thought it might be fun to write our own, using the remaining Legends from the set who did not get an appearance in the two novels. If we do the pre-write thing, we can fairly easily assemble that list, and decide who should be protagonist, antagonist, that sort of thing, if not, we can just wing it!  Either way, we keep going until we either finish, or the thread dies. 

We would also need to decide on some basic rules. No one can post back-to-back, that one's a given. It might be a good idea to use placeholders, to avoid ninja'ing one another and making the story impossible to follow. However, the placeholders should have an approximate time-limit, say four or five hours.

Basic rules of this exercise apply as well. Always add, never detract. You should add your own voice to the story, but don't contradict what has already happened. We don't want to read three pages about the beginning of Jacques le Vert  epic journey, only to have the next poster decide he doesn't like Jacques and kills him off.

So what do you think? Is this something we can do? Is this something anybody wants to try to do? Anybody else in?

Shameless Self-Promotion

These are the MTG Fiction pieces I have written:

Planes of the Dual-Walkers
Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers
Numerous poems in The Poetry Plane
Magic: The Musical

Please read and comment! I love hearing people's thoughts and reactions to my work!

But... Some of us haven't read the Legends books
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Indeed. I'm perfectly happy to make things up willy-nilly but I think that might be a bit annoying to some of the people who know what makes sense. "And then Lord Magnus climbed onto the back of his pet dragon Vaevictis Asmadi and went home to become a priest in The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale."

As to the workability, we could just get the people interested nd make an order for us to go in. That'd let us have our sidebars (nonnegotiable here) and still maintain coherance.
No problem there, doc. We'll just have the list of available characters prepared for you to look back on... Cool

Shameless Self-Promotion

Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers

Please read and comment! I love hearing people's thoughts and reactions to my work!

Indeed. I'm perfectly happy to make things up willy-nilly but I think that might be a bit annoying to some of the people who know what makes sense. "And then Lord Magnus climbed onto the back of his pet dragon Vaevictis Asmadi and went home to become a priest in The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale."

As to the workability, we could just get the people interested nd make an order for us to go in. That'd let us have our sidebars (nonnegotiable here) and still maintain coherance.

I had thought of that. I like the idea, the onl problem I see is when people disappear for long periods of time, like when things get busy in their real lives. We can do the turn thing, but there still needs to be a rule for how long we let things go without a post.

Shameless Self-Promotion

Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers

No problem there, doc. We'll just have the list of available characters prepared for you to look back on... Cool

This means work for me reviewing that doesn't it?

yes it does other Bari, yes it does.

Hey, now, I'm not trying to make any more work for people than what they want. While I'd love to have your participation in this project, I don't want anyone to feel that HAVE to do anything here.

Besides, as it is, there hasn't been a ton of interest yet, so it may not go anyway. I just thought it might be fun.

Shameless Self-Promotion

Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers

I think it sounds fun, but I am not an expert at all. I can throw in a sentence now and again, if you don't mind, though. Don't worry - my sentences are usually much better than these ones.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.

Hey, now, I'm not trying to make any more work for people than what they want. While I'd love to have your participation in this project, I don't want anyone to feel that HAVE to do anything here.

Besides, as it is, there hasn't been a ton of interest yet, so it may not go anyway. I just thought it might be fun.

Eh, it's what I do. It is my function within this forum. I am not just a guru, I am the neguru.
... long story, but it means I am keeper of canon.

Quite frankly, I'm more disappointed nobody mentioned the Archer reference.
Id join in but Im pretty new to magic's story. If you wanted to make it around Ravnica\Innististrad\New Phrexia\mirrodin then Im in!!!!! Its just when you go farther then that like Alara\Zendikar that my knowledge gets sketchy and I have to research alot of stuff that. Id still do it but it would take alot longer for the fluff to come out. Im still all for it thoughSmile
Does this mean that we can call you Barri, or an admission that you are a cyborg, Barrinellos?
Does this mean that we can call you Barri, or an admission that you are a cyborg, Barrinellos?

Remember when people called him Barri, and he'd eat them? Ah, good times.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

I'm not the cyborg, Beast is. You know that.

Remember when people called him Barri, and he'd eat them? Ah, good times.

My eldritch doctors tell me I need to cut the cholesterol, but I'll still eat you all.
Ok, there seems to be at least mild interest, so I say we attempt to proceed. I think we should absolutely allow for people to join in later if they wish (in an attempt to keep this thing going) but we can hammer out the "rules" as we go.

First thing's first, Let's get a true count of who wants to be involved. For the record, as long as we clear up certain issues in the pre-write, you don't need to have much knowledge of these characters to contribute. Action scenes and even dialog for the most part could certainly be written in such a way that specific knowledge of the world or time it's set in is not strictly necessary. If you feel your section is running into an area you're not comfortable writing about, feel free to stop that post and the next person can pick it up.

So, officially, who's in?

Shameless Self-Promotion

Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers

I suppose I can drop a chapter or two as things progress. Are sticking to the Legends block, or Legends in general?
In.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I suppose I can drop a chapter or two as things progress. Are sticking to the Legends block, or Legends in general?

My idea was to stick with Legends and try to focus on those Legendary creatures who haven't really been utilized much in Magic lore. I made a quick list just going by memory of the Legends who didn't appear in the Legends cycle books or comics (as best I could remember) and I think we still have a pretty fertile list, but if others want to do something else, we can certainly discuss that as a group before we begin

Shameless Self-Promotion

Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers

Hrm... In
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
You might want to be aware, before you begin, that Tevish Szat is in the process of writing a novel about the unused Legends characters. The draft is currently in the work in progress forum of the Expanded Multiverse.

Oh, and if you're interested in this topic, I can provide some information on these characters culled from various sources frm antiquity. 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Hmm, good to know, and I'm sure his work will doom us fools, but I still think we can do this without stepping on his toes, although if he has a problem with it, we can always go another direction, too.

This is meant to be a group project, so what do you other folks think? Stick with legends, or do something different, and if so, what? (Maybe some of the "unused" pit combatants on Otaria? Arcanis and Jareth probably have some stories to tell...)

Basically, I'm just looking for a Magic flavor project based in Magic lore that we can do the chain sort of story with, so if others have different/better suggestions, by all means let us know.

Shameless Self-Promotion

Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers

I'm a fan of the Ravnica setting (probably set it in the Guildpact era).
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
In.
Wasn't The Cursed Blade a chain story?
Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.
So Far:

RavenoftheBlack
Deckhopper
Magicpablo666
Dr. Demento
Deaderpool

Dr. Demento votes for Ravnica. To me, this has a couple of advantages. It's newer, so more people will know of it, Return to Ravnica is coming out, so there's a tie-in there, and since many of the Legends of Ravnica were used in the original, we could probably make up our own characters that aren't as likely to step on the toes of the flavor gurus (although we may want to intersect a legend here or there.)

How about the rest of you, thoughts on setting? Approach?

Shameless Self-Promotion

Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers

I'm like Ice Cube - down for whatever.

139359831 wrote:
I agree it should be a setting we're all at least passably familiar with. Although I would vote we pick a general storyline before we pick a setting.
Personally, I think setting is more important than storyline. I run a free form pbp on another forum, and when you get enough people involved there isn't enough space for one story line. You can have a designated villain or the like, but it becomes a problem of too many heroes with too many solutions.
Sounds plausable.
I agree with deckhopper that setting is more important, at least for a story like this. This sort of writing lends itself to a more flexable writing style, allowing the story to tell itself. Deciding on the setting, however, will dictate what we can and cannot do.

As for characters, though, I've done it both ways. We can decide on a few main characters beforehand, or let people introduce them as they will.

Shameless Self-Promotion

Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers

I'd say go for individual characters. Between the Carded and the Cardless, there are more than enough characters to be had.
Sounds good to me. What say we decide on some basic rules/format/setting stuff and then get this show on the road?

Personally, after thinking about it, I'm leaning toward Ravnica as a setting. Most people are familiar with it, many seem to like it, and it ties in with the soon-to-be-current set. There's a ton of room on the world for storyline, character and plot development, and as long as we don't make the story too grandiose in terms of scale, we won't be stepping on anyone's toes.

What do you guys think? Also, how would you like to see this done? Obviously we'll each have our own focuses (which is part of the fun of these sorts of things), but we also need to be interacting with one another. I've done these many times in person, but never online before, so we need some sort of process in place. What do people think?

Shameless Self-Promotion

Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers

Ill join in this too!!! Ill be able to work on my writing skills so lets get this thing started and Deck please finish you Innistrad story I need more!!!!

I'll put my vote towards Ravnica, it's cool and familiar which is what we need.

Depending on the straightforwardness of the story we probably can't just set an order and go with it. Not sure how hard it will be to keep things coherent without the advantage of direct speech.

As to a story idea: The Cimmerian District, a poor, wretched section of Ravnica whose only noteworthy feature is its position on a river between two very wealthy and important districts. Its citizens are caught in a battle for supremacy between the Rakdos, Selesnya, and the Gruul. All the while the Dimir keep tabs for the highest bidder and take advantage of the chaos to cut down witnesses with impunity and rouge members of the old Simic maintain the old experiments in abandoned warehouses and docks near the river.

The Rakdos want the income that would come with controlling the ports (sailors love them some brothels after all). The Selesnya seek to build temples along the bank to spread their beliefs via the ships into the nearly guild-independent districts east and west of the Cimmerian. The Gruul want to crush out the fragile order of the district and create a centralized location from which to stage raids into neighboring areas.

The protagonists would have to be unguilded citizens of the area, with an aim of independance or simply an end to the indescriminate destruction of the guilds.

And in case anyone thinks :G::W: is in some way riding about on a white horse saving the day they should know they're led a Commander whose favorite tactic is to take a roundabout route to any battles so he can have his men clear as many streets as possible of all able bodied citizens and conscript them to the front of his forces.
Unguilded citizens seem like okay protagonists. I think some Rakdos action would make for some entertaining times. Sort of Fear and Loathing style. As far as the political motivation of the protagonists, I'm not sure that is the best approach. I do like the idea of "indiscriminate destruction" - as terrorists I feel that they would be easier to write. Though, I do think a little inter-character main plot wouldn't be a bad idea.

And if it is terrorism that they choose, I'd prefer an interesting method or strategy. Not just blow stuff up. But something truly innovative.

139359831 wrote:
I say we allow the plot to unveil itself. Granted, it may not have the polished feel that forethought would provide, but hey, it's an exercise! It's sort of like improv fiction.

Ironically, the character I was planning on making is unguilded, as well. Funny three of us should independently come to the same conclusion. I think the guildless provide the widest variety of possibilities, and still allow for interactions with any or all of the guilds.

Of course, if the others want to, there's certainly no reason one or two of the main protagonists can't be from a guild. I say we what crops up.

Shameless Self-Promotion

Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers

Let's give it a day or so to let other people come up with ideas and I think we can reasonably expect to be getting started in two or three days. 
I was actually going to aim for an Izzet Guildmage, possibly one who just happens to be in the area for his own purposes, rather than guild business.
Fair enough, besides, I think it's important to allow ourselves a certain degree of freedom where characters are concerned, just so long as we're working together rather than in opposition to one another.

Shameless Self-Promotion

Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers

I was planning on going for a person in Golgari or Rakdos as my main but I can go for guildless too.
If we're going with guilded protagonists we'll need a new reason for them to be there and working together. Perhapse something along the lines of "None of our guilds want this, but we all want those dirty Gruul NOT to have it."
Or something like "I accidently uncovered a plot of someone above me in the guild to overthrow the guildmaster, and now the guild wants me dead unless I can prove I'm being set up" type of thing.

There are tons of options: working against their guild for personal gain, working under secret orders, working under non-secret orders, being manipulated, bored (especially if the character is Rakdos or something), is compelled by a dream, drank something funny and wound up in a mess, amnesiac, fulfilling an obscure contract, (I'm going to start trailing off here if nobody minds), has fits of insanity, found a mysterious stone that shimmers in a dull, olive color...

Shameless Self-Promotion

Allo's Fortnight
The Butcher's Cleaver
Dead Man 'Walking
Showdown
Pariah
Deals and Devils
The Tears of the Djinn
Cromat Comes
Kiss of the Shorecerers