I have some questions about direction, beattle and damange.

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello people, i'm new in D&D and i don't have any fryend who can solve some questions abot this game for me.. so let's go.

(All my questions is about the 4° edition player handbook D&D.)

What is directions and where can i found something about it in my book? (Directions on player sheet)

How does my attacks and damanges woks on my character sheet?  Where can i found this in my book? Bycause the damange and the atack aren't specified by the powers?   Or when you do a simple atack body to body you don't just to calculate 1[A] + atributes ? So why do you need atacks and damange on your character sheet? For what i need and how work the site for basic atack on my character sheet?

Thanks for all and excuse me if i made any error about english, bycause english aren't my first language.

Waiting for answers, ty.  
You've wrongly translated the word 'directions' as there is nothing called that on the sheet in English, so just say the name of it in your own language, and I can help.

And for the second question, you have to choose a weapon or implement to use powers with, and your weapon will have the damage dice for you.

Also, what is your first language? I may be able to speak it.
My first language is portuguese and here are the Character Sheet in portugues. Thanks =D
And what is the diference in atack to damange? 
devir.com.br/dnd/downloads/planilha_basi...

Well I speak Portuguese, and I didn´t understand what you meant by "directions", can you tell what is the word in Portuguese you are translating as "directions", even looking at the Character sheet i couldn´t figure it. The closest I get is "trilhas" which is the Portuguese word for "paths". Paragon paths and epic destinies are career choices one character make at some points in his career, specifically at level 10 and 20.

About the attack and damage calculation, there are several variations, but usually in an attack expression you add the ability mod, plus proficiencies and feats bonuses. In the damage expressions, you usually add the relevant ability mod, and possible feat bonuses, like weapon focus, for example. The thing is several powers change this and add more stuff, so every power has the result damage expression slightly different. Thats the reason you write down your basic attacks in the characters sheet, so you can add whatever bonus a power gives you from that basic attack. This applies specially for characters that use weapons with the powers, like rogues, fighters or rangers. If you are dealing with a spell caster, many powers have damage and attack independent of weapons, making it unnecessary to use basic weapon attacks for comparison. wizard basic attacks are minor spells like magic missile, for example.

Its pretty simple as soon as you get used to it. If you are just starting out, try to play a few times with some experienced players, stuff will became more obvious as you do it.
Regarding attacks vs. damage:

Unfortunately, in English, we like to reuse words, even when we mean different things.  So, attack actually has a number of meanings.  You are asking about the difference between the attack roll and damage roll.

The attack roll tells you if you hit when you swing your weapon, cast your spell, or whatever.  You'll roll your d20 and then add the calculated attack bonus to that roll.  If the result meets or exceeds the defense score of the target, you hit.

Then, you'll need to roll for damage.  This is dependent on the spell or the weapon used.

For a melee basic attack (I assume this is what you mean by a "simple body to body attack"), you'll calculate your attack bonus as:
Strength bonus + weapon proficiency bonus + any expertise bonus + one-half your level.

So, for a longsword on a character with 18 Strength and Heavy Blade Expertise at level 1, your attack bonus is +8.

Strength bonus (+4) + proficiency bonus (+3) + expertise (+1) + one-half level (0.5, rounded down=0) = +8

Damage for the Melee Basic Attack using the same character will be:
1[W] + Strength bonus, or

1d8+4.

All powers will tell you which attribute to use for the attack, how much damage they do, and what other bonuses you might get with it.
When i say "directions" i mean "sentidos". Thanks.
I don't speak Portuguese, but from the location of "sentidos" on the sheet, it looks like you mean "senses." This is your characters passive perception (spotting things) and insight (sensing motives). As well as "sentidos especiales," things like low-light vision, darkvision, or tremorsense. These are determined by your race, but at later levels it's possible to get more, through various methods.
He might also be thinking of alignment when he says 'directions'.
I think i understand, so, i have to roll d20 and calculate my bonus, against the monster, and if my atack exceed the defence of the creature, i hit it. But, how can i calculate de damange on the creture? If i use a power there are (2d8 + inteligence modyfier of flame power). Where i will use the damange that apears on the character sheet, and where can i found the modyfier of flame power and others?

Thanks, i'm new on D&D and i want to discovery all about this game.  
I think i understand, so, i have to roll d20 and calculate my bonus, against the monster, and if my atack exceed the defence of the creature, i hit it. But, how can i calculate de damange on the creture? If i use a power there are (2d8 + inteligence modyfier of flame power). Where i will use the damange that apears on the character sheet, and where can i found the modyfier of flame power and others?

Thanks, i'm new on D&D and i want to discovery all about this game.  

The most common bonus to damage is from your weapon or impliment, which everyone get's.  A +1 magic weapon would give you +1 damage, so 2d8+Int(4-5)+1.

Second most common comes from your class.  Sorcerer's for instance, get extra damage (Str or Dex) to all their arcane attacks.  Rogues get extra damage (2d6) if they have combat advantage.  Slayers get bonus damage (Dex) to all their weapon attacks.

Third is feats.  Weapon Focus gives you +1 damage for weapon attack.  Astral Fire gives you bonuses to fire and radiant attacks.

Fouth is other powers.  An artificer may use magic weapon to give you bonus damage on your next turn.  Warlords may give everyone extra damage against a certain target.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

The most common bonus to damage is from your weapon or impliment, which everyone get's.  A +1 magic weapon would give you +2 damage, so 2d8+Int(4-5)+1.

I think you typod.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
The most common bonus to damage is from your weapon or impliment, which everyone get's.  A +1 magic weapon would give you +2 damage, so 2d8+Int(4-5)+1.

I think you typod.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Thank you mellored. But, i have other question, i have to roll 2 times, one for attack to see if i hit the creature, and i have to roll for a second time to see what is the damange i dealed? Is it?
Thank you mellored. But, i have other question, i have to roll 2 times, one for attack to see if i hit the creature, and i have to roll for a second time to see what is the damange i dealed? Is it?

Yes.  Bit silly IMO, but that's how it goes.

You can save a bit of time by pysicly rolling them all at once.

guides
Power
my builds