Patron Wizard, Stonybrook Schoolmaster, & Intruder Alarm

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I have a Patron Wizard, Stonybrook Schoolmaster, & Intruder Alarm in play. My opponent plays a spell and here's where the ugly gets. My opponent states that I can only tap one wizard at a time so he can respond to each ability at onse time. I was told once many, many years ago in a mtg forum that I had to tap multiple wizards at once to counter the single spell and I couldn't stagger for eveytime my opponent paid one otherwise the spell went through after the one was paid. Can someone help us clarify this in very clear legal terms.
So I have a Patron Wizard, Stonybrook Schoolmaster, & Intruder Alarm in play. My opponent plays a spell and here's where the ugly gets. My opponent states that I can only tap one wizard at a time so he can respond to each ability at onse time. I was told once many, many years ago in a mtg forum that I had to tap multiple wizards at once to counter the single spell and I couldn't stagger for eveytime my opponent paid one otherwise the spell went through after the one was paid. Can someone help us clarify this in very clear legal terms.

Your opponent is almost correct.  You tap one wizard each time you want to activate the ability on Patron Wizard.  But, you get priority after you activate it, so you could activate it again right away if you want to.  Or, you let pass priority and let your opponent respond or not.  If he does not, the ability resolves, and he can pay the a mana.  Now, each player will get priority again before your opponent's spell resolves, so you can use the Wizard's ability again.

Generally speaking, it's better to let each ability resolve one at a time and seeing if he will pay it all the way, rather than tapping 10 wizards all at once and having him pay nothing (a potential waste of the ability).

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

But the key point is to tap Stoneybrook Scoolmaster as many times to add creatures and then triggers the Intruder Alarm. My next questions to this: Can I tap my Stoneybrook Scoolmaster multiple times in this case or will it be limited to the amount of mana my opponent controls.
I was told once many, many years ago in a mtg forum that I had to tap multiple wizards at once to counter the single spell and I couldn't stagger for eveytime my opponent paid one otherwise the spell went through after the one was paid.

After each ability resolves, you get the chance to activate more abilities.

You activate Patron Wizard's ability, and that triggers Stonybrook Schoolmaster's ability, which goes ontop of the stack. Stonybrook Schoolmaster's ability resolves and triggers Intruder Alarm. Then Intruder Alarm's ability resolves. Finally Patron Wizard's ability resolves, and your opponent chooses whether to pay or not. If your opponent does pay, you can activate Patron Wizard's ability again.
But the key point is to tap Stoneybrook Scoolmaster as many times to add creatures and then triggers the Intruder Alarm. My next questions to this: Can I tap my Stoneybrook Scoolmaster multiple times in this case or will it be limited to the amount of mana my opponent controls.

You can use that combo to generate an unlimited amount of tokens.

Activate Patron Wizard's ability again immediately after each time Intruder Alarm's ability resolves. Once you let Patron Wizard's ability resolve, your opponent could let the spell be countered, and then you would not have a target. First make as many tokens as you want without letting any of Patron Wizard's abilities resolve, then let them all resolve at the end.
The key things to remember here are that objects on the stack resolve one at a time, and each object only resolves after all players pass priority in succession without adding anything to it.  A common misconception is that the stack itself resolves, which is incorrect; the stack is a game zone and always exists, regardless of whether any spells/abilities are currently there.

Anyway, what PirateAmmo said is correct, except for one thing: after resolving Intruder Alarm's ability, you can activate Patron Wizard's ability again before letting the initial iteration of its ability resolve.  Therefore, the limit of activating Stonybrook Schoolmaster's ability is not the amount of mana your opponent has, but rather whenever you're ready to stop this loop of effects.

Edit - Heh, Pirate edited his post, so my correction isn't a correction at all anymore -- just a confirmation of what you can do. ;) 
Either way is fine. In my last post, I said it's generally a good idea to do it one at a time. But in your case, since you're entertaining the many shenanigans possible with Intruder Alarm, you're more than welcome to tap Stonybrook Schoolmaster a million times for a million tokens (and a million Force Spikes). Here's the long form of the two ways you can make this play:

Method 1:
1) Opponent casts a spell and passes priority. You gain priority.
2) You activate Patron Wizard's ability by tapping SS. SS's ability goes on the stack.
3) SS's ability resolves. You get a 1/1 merfolk token. Intruder alarm triggers.
4) Intruder alarm resolves, all creatures untap.
5) Repeat steps 2-4 X times.
6) Your opponent has to pay an overall cost of X+1 to save his spell.

Method 2:
1) Opponent casts a spell and passes priority. You gain priority.
2) You activate Patron Wizard's ability by tapping SS. SS's ability goes on the stack.
3) SS's ability resolves. You get a 1/1 merfolk token. Intruder alarm triggers.
4) Intruder alarm resolves, all creatures untap.
5) Patron Wizard's ability resolves, opponent pays 1 or his spell gets countered.
6) Repeat steps 2-5 as many times as desired or until opponent doesn't pay. 

Both are legal. 

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

I think I've figured out our dissagreement. My opponent says the I cannot tap anymore wizards past his mana base because of how the wording is on Patron Wizard. I stated I can continue to add to the stack to counter his spell even though he cannot tap for more mana because the spell is still on the stack and will continue to be until I'm done adding to the stack, Hence, putting as many merfolk wizards into the battlefield using Schoolmaster and Intruder alarm combo. Right/Wrong?

There,s
I think I've figured out our dissagreement. My opponent says the I cannot tap anymore wizards past his mana base because of how the wording is on Patron Wizard. I stated I can continue to add to the stack to counter his spell even though he cannot tap for more mana because the spell is still on the stack and will continue to be until I'm done adding to the stack, Hence, putting as many merfolk wizards into the battlefield using Schoolmaster and Intruder alarm combo. Right/Wrong? There,s

Your opponent is mistaken.  There is no limit to the number of times you can activate the Patron Wizard.

I think I've figured out our dissagreement. My opponent says the I cannot tap anymore wizards past his mana base because of how the wording is on Patron Wizard. I stated I can continue to add to the stack to counter his spell even though he cannot tap for more mana because the spell is still on the stack and will continue to be until I'm done adding to the stack, Hence, putting as many merfolk wizards into the battlefield using Schoolmaster and Intruder alarm combo.

The only restriction for activating the ability is "target spell". As long as you can pay the cost and can target a spell, you can activate the ability.
I think I've figured out our dissagreement. My opponent says the I cannot tap anymore wizards past his mana base because of how the wording is on Patron Wizard. I stated I can continue to add to the stack to counter his spell even though he cannot tap for more mana because the spell is still on the stack and will continue to be until I'm done adding to the stack, Hence, putting as many merfolk wizards into the battlefield using Schoolmaster and Intruder alarm combo.

The only restriction for activating the ability is "target spell". As long as you can pay the cost and can target a spell, you can activate the ability.

So all in all then, I've got an infinate loop.  And until I say I'm done, I can have a million creatures on the board.  then everything resolves and all spells leave. 

Well I guess I'm getting my booster pack of Innistrad. 
Thanks everyone for you're replies. Cool

I guess he will get his pack, but the ruling is ocmplete bullsh!t. Period. Is there a DCI judge who can possibly give a ruling on this? If one of the posters is a judge, please confirm it. Basically what I am understanding by reading this is that you can use the ability to counter a spell unless someone pays infinity, then if they do, you can continue to attempt to counter the spell. That doesn't sound right at all.

I guess he will get his pack, but the ruling is ocmplete bullsh!t. Period. Is there a DCI judge who can possibly give a ruling on this? If one of the posters is a judge, please confirm it. Basically what I am understanding by reading this is that you can use the ability to counter a spell unless someone pays infinity, then if they do, you can continue to attempt to counter the spell. That doesn't sound right at all.

As an L2 judge, I'll confirm that the ruling given here is completely accurate. There is no limit to the number of times you can activate Patron Wizard's ability in a turn as long as you have Wizards to tap, and the combo described here ensures that you will always have Wizards to tap. The only limit is that you'll have to specify an actual number of times you want to cycle through the combo--"infinity" is not a number.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Zammm, as much as it pains me to find I am wrong, I thank you for confirming this ruling for me. I still feel that it is wrong, however rules are rules and I am subject to them like anyone else.

So going forward, since EBozz will likely continue this combo until someone can find a way to break it, are there any suggestions on stopping sucha  combo from happening aside from simply building against it. I can not build every deck to use only activated abilities to play spells. The deck with this combo is obviously a control deck, making it impossible to play spells. Should I just concede a loss as soon as he begins playing? Not just a whiney player, just concerned that with this type of thing being legal, there is no real point to playing against the deck. And honestly, I feel the stack should be re-examined by Magic as rulings like this allow for some seriously overpowered combos as evidenced from above.
Sudden Spoiling, Sudden Shock or Sudden Death for example
or Banefire (but he still can create his army on this spell, it just can't be countered)
proud member of the 2011 community team
the ruling is complete bullsh!t.

there's no ruling here
the rules are pretty straightforward concerning the specified interaction 

rulings are typically made when the rules are lacking or for a specific interaction that functions (or should function) contrary to the rules as written
such rulings usually come from the rules manager or the rules team at WotC

the combo does provide for a rather nasty lockdown, but usually things of that nature are adressed by bannings in the format that the combo appears in and only if it becomes too prevalent in the format

Patron Wizard is legal in Legacy, Vintage and Commander so that limits the combo's legality to those formats.

Proper Legacy and Vintage decks can often combo on Turn 1 or 2 so I don't see this combo being banned there because the game will usually be over before he can even set it up.
Commander has a singleton 99 card deck so I doubt its viability there is worth banning it, but that's possible.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

Gaea's Herald and Cavern of Souls can help you to set up a defense for his combo.

Volcanic Fallout should stop him if he manages to get it going.
 Boseiju, Who Shelters All will let you cast you instants and sorceries too .... well most of them.
Thank folks, but all this is telling me is that I have to go out and get an expensive land, or build a split second or cant counter deck, essentially building against a specific deck type. I guess that when he and I play cards, when this one is pulled out I will immediately concede. Another thing I though about was running a lot of creature removal. I doubt it would matter much, because i would be running a lot of creature control and would be able to run very little else. Nevermore is another card that could be played, if I could get it on the field. Really, very powerful combo. I would have to win by turn two or three in order to ensure he wasn't able to simply counter me out of the game. I guess I am a little bent out of shape about this, but oh well. Good job EBozz.
@EBozz: What format (if any) was set for this "tourney"?

perhaps limiting the format to Modern would work?
that'd make Patron Wizard illegal 

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Taking offers on my set of unopened limited edition full art judge foil basic lands, message me if interested.

It wasn't a tournament format, it was a late night 4 player game. We are generally pretty casual until things like this pop up.
You don't have to build a deck for that purpose. Just pick a card that answers it and add 3 - 4 to an existing deck. There's a ton of answers for this in every color.

Here's a few things that will work:

1) Put 3 copies of Volcanic Fallout into your deck, and save them to reply to this combo. You will never lose to that deck again.
2) Hold any kill spell like Doom Blade and use it to stop his combo before he starts it.
3) Run enchantment removal like Erase or Naturalize to get rid of Intruder Alarm before it becomes a problem.
4) He won't like Blood Seeker and friends.
5) Arrest the Patron Wizard.
6) Create your own infinite combo using his Intruder Alarm. Bloodline Keeper neutralizes his creatures and lets you fly in over his head for lethal damage.

The key is to do something about it before he gets all three pieces down. You'll find that he'll just become frustrated because he can't put everything together and he'll give up on the deck.
Good feedback, and sadly im afraid i will probably have to go that route, or just net deck some turn 1 or two decks to run whenever he tries to pull this out. I do have two good turn two decks (infect and affinity for artifacts) but generally reserve those for actual tournaments, not casual games.
Also, there is a point at which you can take out any of the cards for the combo, in the middle of the combo.

He has to wait for Intruder Alarm to trigger and untap his schoolmaster in order to have something to tap again, and continue the combo.

If you go to play a spell, and he tries to counter it, and start the combo, wait for him to tap the Schoolmaster, then when the Schoolmasters ability is on the stack, you can respond with removal to take out the Patron, the Schoolmaster, or the Intruder Alarm, any of which will stop the combo.

He can respond by tapping the Patron to try and counter that second spell, but as long as you have the 1 to pay, he has now tapped out his two creatures, and there are no creatures about to enter to untap them.

Your removal spell goes through, take out something, and now you can pay the 1 for the original spell.

Note that if you choose to take out the schoolmaster, the token will still come in and untap his Patron, so he will still have 2 more Wizards to tap, meaning you'd have to pay 3 more, not 1 more, for the original spell.

The only thing this assumes is that you have a removal spell (creature or enchantment) in your deck, and that you have it ready to cast in response to him starting his combo.  You'll know when the combo is online since it is all permanents, so you can be prepared to stop it.
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
In your position, I would let my friend know that I don't find playing against his combo deck very fun, and see if you guys can agree to playing games that are fun for both of you.

It's perfectly fine for you guys to agree to ban certain cards in your group if you want to, if they make unfun games.  It gets everyone to change up their decks as well, and prevents things from becoming stale.

This is just a suggestion though.  If it doesn't work for your group, see if you can find something else that does.