Counter Target Creature Spell

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all,

I have a question about Countering a target creature spell.

How does counterspell work?

Player A plays Crazed Goblin, then plays Goblin King, then plays embermage Goblin
Can Player B  then play Counterspell, and choose which of the 3 he would want to counter?

Or does Player A play Crazed Goblin, and Player B has to deside if he wants to counter it..if not then Player A plays Goblin King, and Player B has to deside if he wants to counter it...and so on and so forth.

We are at odds as to the order it is supposed to work. thank you for any help and insight you might be able to offer.
Hello all,

I have a question about Countering a target creature spell.

How does counterspell work?

Player A plays Crazed Goblin, then plays Goblin King, then plays embermage Goblin
Can Player B  then play Counterspell, and choose which of the 3 he would want to counter?

Or does Player A play Crazed Goblin, and Player B has to deside if he wants to counter it..if not then Player A plays Goblin King, and Player B has to deside if he wants to counter it...and so on and so forth.

We are at odds as to the order it is supposed to work. thank you for any help and insight you might be able to offer.

The second way is correct.  Under normal circumstances, you can't have more than 1 creature on the stack at the same time. 

thank you very much for the fast reply
if the creatures have Flash you could cast them like in the first scenario, but there are good reasons not to do so.
proud member of the 2011 community team
A creature is only a spell while it is on the stack, waiting to resolve. Once it resolves it is a creature permanent, and no longer a legal target for a counterspell.

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
note: the technical play is the second one

however, a player may announce a shortcut "cast X, cast Y, cast Z"

in which case you can interrupt his shortcut at any point and say "counter X" or whichever spell you want to counter at which point your opponent is free to change the remaining portion of the actions in his shortcut  

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

As people have said, it's the second approach.

Speaking from experience:
Using the shortcut "cast X, cast Y, cast Z" when someone is playing with counterspells has sometimes caused (hostile) arguments within our playgroup because the person using the counterspell now knows all three spells that will be cast and can simply make the optimal choice of which spell to counter.  As such, we pause for a couple seconds between casts to ensure that all players have enough time to react with counters or any other relevant instants.

My EDH decks:

Erebos ()

Damia ()

Ghave ()

Sliver Overlord ()

Sign In to post comments