Dragonborn or Human

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello, I just started D&D and I have already managed to form my very own gaming group. At the moment I am the DM, but I'm already creating my character's backstory once I get to play as hero. Now one thing I think you should know is that I like dragons very much. They are my favourite monsters in the whole game. I also like epic and huge stories where heroes fight against evil forces and travel around the fantasy world exploring grim forests, snowy mountains and dangerous dungeons. Now when I started to think about what my character would be like I first thought about human fighter who speaks draconic and is brave adventurer. That was my first idea, but soon I found out that there is race called "dragonborn". I started to read some information about it and I found out that playing dragonborn character feels like playing a dragon!! They can breath flame and they look like them. I thought that yeah this is my character. But then I looked at their weapons and armor. They looked lot different than the ones that humans usually have. They look very cool in their own way, but at the same time I like very much the more classic equipment. For example I like the dragonborn armor with rounded shapes on it and it looks awesome, but I also like the human adventurer's cloaks and knight helmets. I've been thinking long about this and I can't settle on which I should choose.

Which race should I choose!?! This information might help you to tell me race I should choose. I like dragons, dark and dangerous dungeons, awesome and powerful swords and adventures in huge fantasy world.
If you want to play a dragonborn, then play a dragonborn.  It's that simple.

Remember that your character is yours.  You decide how he looks, acts, and thinks.  If you want him to wear classical weapons and armor, he does. 
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.

D&D isn't a videogame, where choosing your race or weapon gives you a stock version with a particular look to it. The illustrations in the books of races, armor and weapons are not rules text. They are not official versions of what those things are required to look like. They're just suggestions. And even if they were, there's no rules that says that a dragonborn can't wear human-made armor or carry a dwarvish sword if they feel like it.

Play whatever you want and say that it looks however you want it to. As long as you're not changing the mechanical statistics of your character and the DM is okay with it, reflavor and reimagine your character any way you want to.
 If you want your dragonborn to have a tail, ask the DM if he can have a tail - it adds no mechanical differences to the character.

I play a character who spends most of his time as a talking crow because in-game he's a shapeshifting Fey crow spirit from the Feywild...
 On his character sheet, though, it says mechanically he's a Pixie Druid. Pixies are Tiny and they can fly, and druids can change shape into a different creature of their own size. So he can change into a crow and fly around.
Instead of four insect-like wings in his pixie form, he has four single crow feathers. Unlike the archetypal happy, shiny Tinkerbell kind of pixie, he's loud, raucous, greedy, far too curious for his own good, and he has a nasty habit of snacking on corpses.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Even if you are sticking to an absolutely ridiculous level of adhering to the look of D&D it could very easily be explained as growing up around/working around humans and adopting their style of armour, as you find it comfortable/better/more sophistcated/more surprising for you.

Also if you are a player there is a dragonborn specific book for more race details and options.

Finally, if you are DMing then there are the 2 Draconomicon books - Chromatics for the evil dragons and Metallic for the good ones. Note I did not say friendly, just not likely to be evil.