[RTR-ICD] Selesnya Charm

57 posts / 0 new
Last post
Selesnya Charm
Instant (U)
Choose one - Target creature gets +2/+2 and gains trample until end of turn; or exile target creature with power 5 or greater; or put a 2/2 white Soldier creature token with vigilance onto the battlefield.

This one feels meh at first sight.

However, flashy soldier token.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Hmmm, second ability seems crazy. The third and first are also powerful. This may be the best EDH charm of the set, so far.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
It's a 2 mana 2/2 vigilence flash that can be conditional removal or pump instead.
Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, the cow jumped over the moon. The little dog laughed to see such sport, And the Dish ran away with the Spoon. He ran from conviction, and fed his addiction as the Dish heated the Spoon... The Spoon begged to go, but the Dish shouted : "NO!!" "The heroin will be ready soon!" "Any time doing the right thing is funny as hell, it's probably Chaotic Good." IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2jcu9fs.png)
Bye bye Wurmcoil Engine.

Edit: forgot it's rotating. lol
Bye bye Wurmcoil Engine.

Edit: forgot it's rotating. lol


As are the Titans.

Still hits Thragtusk and Hellkite, but still suboptimal for the Tusk 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
This one feels meh at first sight.

However, flashy soldier token.


Really? I kinda liked this best of the bunch. The only downside is the associated colors. Still, a 2/2 token is probably better than a 2/2 card right now...
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Seems powerful, I like it.
Hmmm, second ability seems crazy. The third and first are also powerful. This may be the best EDH charm of the set, so far.


I like this one. Abilities are varied enough to give you a lot of options. I like options.
But hey, maybe rakdos or golgari has a good one. 


These are the two I am 500% waiting for.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞


I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
I actually like this one. At least one of it's abilities will be great at any point in the game. Get rid of their fatty? Sure. Pump up your own fatty for a big swing? You got it. Throw out a 2/2 dude that can be Populated? Absolutely.

CURRENT EDH DECKS: Sek'kuar | Kraj | Teysa | Wort | Purphoros | Varolz | Reaper King | Rakdos | Isperia | Ultimus | Iroas | Macar

I like this one more than the Izzet one for sure.  This one can always be relevant, and that's what you want trick cards to do for you.

Need to power through damage?  +2/+2 trample.  Need to remove a fatty? Done like dinner.  Want to throw a fast block in?  Easy squeezy lemon peasy.
this is so good and it just keeps getting better. o_o
I like how it kills both big and small creatures, and small hexproof creatures.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
I would say best charm for the set so far
I prefer Izzet or Azorius personally. Better control elements and the ability to find better answers if they aren't the cards you want.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Quite possibly my new favorite charm.
This is very powerful.  All the abilities (except the first) are more or less worth it at the price alone.
Wow. They sure are pushing the power level of the charms. This one is great.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000) Check out Ars Arcanum, my stat based series on Magic Limited, over at PureMTGO. Here is a link to the archive: http://goo.gl/Zvh6Q
I don't know if I like it as much as I do Azorius, but I definitely prefer it to Izzet. Very good card.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
I think pushing the power level of charms is a good idea, because charms offer lots of choices, and having high level magic have lots of choices is good.
This is really good at any stage of the game. Will almost certainly see plenty of standard play and I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up occasionally in modern.
This is good better than Izzet Charm imo.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

 

My favourite of the Charms revealed so far. Pretty damn good.
Ashcoat bear with vigilance and two alternative casting options that interacts with populate.  Yeah, expecting constructed play out of this one.

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Aw, they're doing Knight tokens instead of sappies?

A great card nonetheless.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Aw, they're doing Knight tokens instead of sappies?


This was the first thing I noticed too. Saprolings felt more at home with Selesnya, but Populate might have swayed them into making something bigger.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

hmmm..

really thinking about playing an all charm, creatureless deck right about now....
Best charm revealed without a doubt.
All three charms revealed so far have been excellent. This one is pushing it as far as effeciency goes.
WOW Surprised

This charm is really good!
1st ability is pretty nice
2nd one is kind of crazy...Hi, [C]Avacyn, Angel of Hope[/C]! *uses charm Bye, Avacyn!
3rd one is probably the best: A 2/2 vigilance with flash for :G:W: is awesome.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

I hadn't really considered that it's not just a 2/2 vig, but a 2/2 FLASH vig.
Really digging this whole cycle overall.
Izzet charm seems quite low powered by comparison. Those abilities were all 1 mana effects whereas these seem to be 2 mana effects. Good ones too.
Wow, this one is awesome. Ashcoat Bear / Sylvan Might / Reprisal. That's some really nice utility, and it all fits nicely into a beatdown package.
Izzet charm seems quite low powered by comparison. Those abilities were all 1 mana effects whereas these seem to be 2 mana effects. Good ones too.



I guess they didn't want the instants and sorceries in the instant and sorcery guild to be too strong. Then again, there aren't many decks to play against or board states that you wouldn't need either a spell-pierce or a shock. If there are, you can just draw 2 and discard 2. Each of these abilities are weak immediately after board wipes except for the knight, and that's not even that impressive to play late game. It's still an amazing card, but I don't think it's as versitile as Izzet's, even if it more than makes up for it by raw power alone.
Wow, that's some real good versatility there. Should see some play. 
How to Auto Card
(Replace { with [) {c}Gelectrode{/c}= Gelectrode
How to Auto Card, with style
(Replace { with [) {c=Gelectrode}Pinball Machine{/c}=Pinball Machine
How to Auto Deck
Auto Deck
(again, replace { with [) {deck} Lands 20 4x Halimar Depths 4X Unstable Frontier 8X Island 4X Swamp Creatures 12 4x Hedron Crabs 4x Nemesis of Reason 4x Mnemonic Wall Spells 28 4X Spreading Seas 4X Suffer the Past 4x Mind Funeral 4X Archive Trap 4X Ponder 4x Into the Roil 4X Soul Manipulation {/deck}
Nice one, this cycle is turning out to be really good.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
Dear god is this sexy.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
Just some useful utility, nothing broken, but nothing bad about it. Overall it's a pretty good card.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
It's like an Intrepid Hero all grown up, as an instant.
Lol what?  This one seems ridiculously good.  Combat trick x 3, makes tokens, and can exile anything too big for your creatures to handle.  Amazing if for no other reason than it answers every frights deck in std for the next year.

Even if you draw it and didn't really need it you can still just pop it for a 2/2 vigilance knight for 2 mana. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)