9/4/2012 SF: "Game Breaker"

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Two words: Sneak Attack!
Doesn't Mulldrifter kill you after you Primal Surge in that EDH deck? What am I missing?
Yes Mulldrifter does, so it goes out for the fatty, problem solved
Doesn't Mulldrifter kill you after you Primal Surge in that EDH deck? What am I missing?

Primal Surge says "you may put that card onto the battlefield, if you do..." normaly, in any deck wanting to fire off a surge you'd leave at least 5 cards left in your deck just in case some thing hapens...
all of my randoms:
Show
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
At least it can be countered and takes a while to get into play.  Other than that, nasty creature.

As for the poll, I am aligned with Azorius and that was the first guild I joined.  However, Boros was my favorite guild in the original Ravnica so I am supporting them now.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Kiora Atua!!!!!! In this set or the next?? Isn't she supposed to simic
Well GU not Simic.
She doesn't appear in the promo video 
I want to make a Standard deck with this card. At 11 CMC, it won't be that expensive to buy or trade for, but considering its death trigger, its caster doesn't actually care too much if it gets hit with a Doom Blade*.

Just ramp to the Wurms. If they kill or counter it, Grisly Salvage will give you another one soon enough. If they exile it or gain control of it or Pacify it, you have plenty of sacrifice outlets.

* Or whatever the post-RtR equivalent of Doom Blade will be. And now that I think of it, I don't know what that is. Tragic Slip probably, but it won't kill this thing. Murder, Bone Splinters and Dreadbore all have more inconvenient costs... What's the general speculation about the popular creature removal in Standard going forward?
Victim of Night might end up as the new replacement.

In principle she could be.  It'd make her stand out if they have her be Simic in a set that otherwise doesn't have them.
I want to make a Standard deck with this card. At 11 CMC, it won't be that expensive to buy or trade for, but considering its death trigger, its caster doesn't actually care too much if it gets hit with a Doom Blade*.

Just ramp to the Wurms. If they kill or counter it, Grisly Salvage will give you another one soon enough. If they exile it or gain control of it or Pacify it, you have plenty of sacrifice outlets.

* Or whatever the post-RtR equivalent of Doom Blade will be. And now that I think of it, I don't know what that is. Tragic Slip probably, but it won't kill this thing. Murder, Bone Splinters and Dreadbore all have more inconvenient costs... What's the general speculation about the popular creature removal in Standard going forward?

a rakdos card will be the new doom blade (something along the lines of screaming death).

but I think that your assuming too much about shocklands. They could still not happen.

Also, gr seems a better fit for this card so you can have the red removal and overload cards.

a rakdos card will be the new doom blade (something along the lines of screaming death).

but I think that your assuming too much about shocklands. They could still not happen.

Also, gr seems a better fit for this card so you can have the red removal and overload cards.

Actually the Shocklands were confirmed as of Saturday.

Interesting fattie, somewhat different from anything else printed before as for which decks and contexts it fits best in. The closest comparison I can think of is with Darksteel Colossus: same converted mana cost, comparable body (at that size level, 4 is a smaller difference), meant for combat and little else, and one ideally needs a card that removes it in an other way than destroying it to deal with it efficiently. For people who are trying to be optimal in their fattie strategy, Darksteel Colossus has very largely fallen out of flavor; Blightsteel Colossus does everything it did but better, in commander especially, for just one more mana, and for hardcasting purposes, Worldspine Wurm doesn't seem like it beats Blightsteel either (as an aside, Blightsteel "should" very much be in Adam's deck based on power and synergy, but I can understand that killing a player out of nowhere by giving it haste can be called unfun... :P).

However, the Wurm can be "cheated out" in different ways and is a better choice for some cheating tools than Blightsteel, which I think is what will make it very worthwile for some decks. Being green makes it compatible with Natural Order and Dramatic Entrance; for pure beatdown purposes, it's probably the strongest choice to date to pair with these cards, at least where Progenitus isn't an option. It also loves things that put it on the battlefield for a turn to have you sacrifice it afterwards, such as Sneak Attack as was said above, as well as Through the Breach. Getting a Blightsteel out with those two is relatively strong, but that plan can be stopped just by blocking, and it doesn't leave anything behind if you can't follow it up with more poison. You can even exploit the fact that its shuffle ability is a trigger and not a replacement effect like the Colossi's, by using something such a Corpse Dance in response. Pair that with a sacrifice outlet for massive amounts of fun!
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
Also, Mark said the female PW is in the RTR trailer; and one of the arts in the trailer have a "PW-like art dimension". She's a golgari gorgon. She may be the one from the Uncharted Realms video, and I noticed today the art on the booster of the character with a tentacles-shaped helmet could be a reference to her followers. So there's that.

Victim of Night might end up as the new replacement.

In principle she could be.  It'd make her stand out if they have her be Simic in a set that otherwise doesn't have them.

she couldn't be simic because simic are about progress but she's about revering the ancient beasts of the depths.
yeah, i realized that about 10 minutes after that post.

I think that card is Dreadbore, though not instant speed, but can deal with nasty Planeswalkers

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."

I think that card is Dreadbore, though not instant speed, but can deal with nasty Planeswalkers

their might be a last gasp or that auger spree as a semi-dismember. but their not gonna let us go without a good instant speed removal spell.
Have you ever stopped to consider that maybe Murder is fair?
Regardless of fairness, 1BB isn't exactly ideal for a block pushing 2 colour combinations.  Victim of Night isn't much better. 

Tribute to Hunger, Tragic Slip, Bone Splinters, Death Wind and Human Frailty are the only mono-black cards that don't have BB in their cost, have CMC < 4, can kill something bigger than a 1/1, and will still be standard legal after rotation.  We've only seen 3 mono-black cards from RtR so far, but none of them fulfill those conditions.

their might be a last gasp or that auger spree as a semi-dismember. but their not gonna let us go without a good instant speed removal spell.

I think Augur Spree is a fine removal spell, though it requires r/b.  But I'm ok with that.  It means it cannot go into Delver as a replacement for Dismember, and I'm perfectly good with that.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."

I think Augur Spree is a fine removal spell, though it requires r/b.  But I'm ok with that.  It means it cannot go into Delver as a replacement for Dismember, and I'm perfectly good with that.

think again. Shoclands will help it have a much more stable mana base.

think again. Shoclands will help it have a much more stable mana base.

No fetchlands or Ponder to dig for them.  It'll still be harder to use than dismember since neither color is their main two.

191752181 wrote: