[RTR-ICD] Fencing Ace

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fencing Ace
Creature - Human Soldier (U)
Double strike
1/1

cute

Boros I guess?
proud member of the 2011 community team
Love this guy. Going to be sick in the WBG deck, where you can Scavenge up a few +1/+1 counters on him for sickness.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000) Check out Ars Arcanum, my stat based series on Magic Limited, over at PureMTGO. Here is a link to the archive: http://goo.gl/Zvh6Q
Uncommon? Why?

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Boros Swiftblade with one less toughness. I like.
Boros I guess?



Monocolored and without any guild keyword? Guildless dude.

[<o>]
Uncommon? Why?



Because of double strike. The only creature at common with Double Strike is Springjack Knight, and that's situational and not guaranteed.
not bad at all.
Trades with bears and can get nutty with a little help.

Not great, not terrible.  I like it.
Uncommon? Why?



Because of double strike. The only creature at common with Double Strike is Springjack Knight, and that's situational and not guaranteed.


Actually Springjack Knight doesn't have Double Strike, but this thing is boring. There are four commons other than Springjack that give things Double strike. I don't think this thing would be nuts at common. I find it dull and uninspired and it doesn't deserve an uncommon slot that could go to something more interesting and flavorful.

If anything a master of fencing should have first strike, not double. It isn't Muay Thai for goodness' sake.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Ooh, I like the flavor text. Sounds like the guildless will actually get to shine a bit this block. (Storywise.)

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

Not very exciting, but not a bad card at all.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
is double strike primary in white, secondary in red or the other way around?

because white always get the better double striker.

and also the argument about

silverblade paladin vs hanweir lancer

 
Not liking this one.
is double strike primary in white, secondary in red or the other way around?

because white always get the better double striker.

and also the argument about

silverblade paladin vs hanweir lancer

 



I think it's flippy floppy.  Creatures are primary white, secondary red.  Spells which give double strike are primary red, secondary white.  But that's just my guess from a glancing thought.
About time this card gets printed.
Meh.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

 

Tell me I'm not the only one who read this as Fencing Ape.
I find it odd that Double Strike has reminder text.  It's like they just felt like making Duh targets.     
I lvoe the flavor text...

This card doubles well with the ring from M13. +1/+1 counters, and vigilance, + it's own dbl strike...nice combo there. 
Uncommon? Why?



Because of double strike. The only creature at common with Double Strike is Springjack Knight, and that's situational and not guaranteed.


Actually Springjack Knight doesn't have Double Strike, but this thing is boring. There are four commons other than Springjack that give things Double strike. I don't think this thing would be nuts at common. I find it dull and uninspired and it doesn't deserve an uncommon slot that could go to something more interesting and flavorful.

If anything a master of fencing should have first strike, not double. It isn't Muay Thai for goodness' sake.



this...
handing out double strike is never a good thing..
Cute.

Boros I guess?



The flavor indicates he's guildless. Unless you're talking about the deck-archetype, because then I'm just silly for typing this.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

I prefer Swiftblade, but this is fine too.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
Eh, not my thing. But theres nothing really bad about it.
This definately deserves to be uncommon, double strike can get out of hand pretty quickly especially in a set with alot of +1+1 counters.
It looks like my mono-white humans deck will still be ok post-rotation.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

A solid choice, will go good in any white weenie deck.
Put Rancor on it.
Kind of interesting. Needs some pump to make it a beast.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
Double strike is always nice, he's cheap and effective. I like.

How to autocard: [spoiler] [c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

The whole point is to boost his stats; if every card had game-winning stats right off the bat, there'd be a lot less strategy in Magic. He's a cheap white weenie with a good offense keyword; creatures like these are the primary reason Equipments were created in the first place, and a major use for Auras.

That said, it's nice to have a splashable monocolor with double strike built-in. He has less speed than an equipped Kor Duelist but you'd need to include several cards in your deck to actually make use of his ability, so Fencing Ace frees up a lot of your deck slots.

Kind of interesting. Needs Runed Stalactite to make it a beast.

 
Fixed!

L1 Judge

It looks like my mono-white humans deck will still be ok post-rotation.



He gives me hope for mine as well, but it just stings that much more that Honor of the Pure is about to rotate.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Turn 1 - Avacyn's Pilgrim
Turn 2 - This guy enchanted with Rancor
Turn 3 - ??? Profit! e.g. 2 Titanic Growths for 22 damage straight off the bat.

I think this guy is going to prove very potent in white weenie decks, especially with Accorder Paladin rotating. 
Put Rancor on it.


How did it take three pages for this to show up?
I see this card and think
How to Auto Card
(Replace { with [) {c}Gelectrode{/c}= Gelectrode
How to Auto Card, with style
(Replace { with [) {c=Gelectrode}Pinball Machine{/c}=Pinball Machine
How to Auto Deck
Auto Deck
(again, replace { with [) {deck} Lands 20 4x Halimar Depths 4X Unstable Frontier 8X Island 4X Swamp Creatures 12 4x Hedron Crabs 4x Nemesis of Reason 4x Mnemonic Wall Spells 28 4X Spreading Seas 4X Suffer the Past 4x Mind Funeral 4X Archive Trap 4X Ponder 4x Into the Roil 4X Soul Manipulation {/deck}
I know something you don't know, for you see... I am not really guildless.

Someone needs to do this alter... 
I love doublestuff!!!

This guy was much needed. I will buy 4 for my double-strike equipment deck, even though it's already too fast for my group.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
I see this card and think



I know something you don't know, for you see... I am not really guildless.

Someone needs to do this alter... 



I love everything about this.  And I completely agree on both accounts.
Uncommon? Why?


Double Strike is strong as heck.
Boring... Markorov blademaster was only 1 more and could grow in size.  Yes it was a rare, but my point is why did this card need to exist?  Particularly on the heels of silverblade paladin.  Might be fun with rancor, but then again maybe not.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)