9/4/2012 Feature: "Going Wide"

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of the feature article "Going Wide", which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Where's the option to turn off the Red Zone altogether, like the current client, rather than having it on and intruding in the gamespace either some of the time or all the time?

Where's the button to attack with all, so I don't have to right-click every time?
I guess I've been living under a rock lately, cause I just now heard about this Magic Online overhaul.  Sorry if this the millionth time this has been asked -- is there a planned OS X version?  I would be very happy!
I've been in the Beta since quite a while ago and I have to say the progress and fine tuning has been noticeable. One thing I still don't like is the chat windows, they are so clunky. I do understand they work very well for people with 2 monitors, but not all of us are dual-screening.

Thanks for the great work you've put into this new client!

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
The downloadlink in the article links to the old client.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
The downloadlink in the article links to the old client.

I am having the same problem.
I still had the previous beta client installed, and it updated itself without problems, but the login fails. I'm "not authorized" to access the beta server.
Yeah, I logged on to have a quick look before going to work, it downloaded and updated but wouldn't authorize me. 

I believe the new client will eventually be a much better experience than the old one, but I also hope the developers see that there's still a way to go.

I guess I've been living under a rock lately, cause I just now heard about this Magic Online overhaul. Sorry if this the millionth time this has been asked -- is there a planned OS X version? I would be very happy!

Nope. Windows only.
I am also not authorised. I don't blame WOTC, I'd probably only break something. I'm sure they checked this through properly and haven't just posted a wide beta wiithout checking that the permissions were appropriately set Foot in Mouth
Just checked with the Orcs, apparently it will be open 'some time today' but they don't know what time. 
I remember hearing this update would fix the classified system that has been a major complaint many have had for a long time, myself included. Any word on this? Or did I just get incorrect information that got my hopes up. Just changing it to a broker system would be abosolutely amazing.
I doubt the trading system will get any work done at least for now. This is my guess but I would say that the trading system will stay the same untill the the new version goes live. Then they might go and change it.
Forcing people to use the new client is going to cause a backlash. The new client is worse when it comes to playing an actual game. If I am forced to use an inferior client, I will simply quit and I'd imagine that a lot of people feel the same way. If the new client is superior, then people will naturally transition over. No one likes change forced upon them.
I still had the previous beta client installed, and it updated itself without problems, but the login fails. I'm "not authorized" to access the beta server.

Beta is running right now (I'm logged in as I write this). Maybe you were trying to access the beta server instead of the live one?

During the sneak peek, we had to uninstall the beta client that accessed the beta server in order to install the beta client for the live server. How about this time?

Go draft, young man, go draft!

No acces to beta server. Can't this be fixed? Or at least some sort of feedback.
Forcing people to use the new client is going to cause a backlash. The new client is worse when it comes to playing an actual game. If I am forced to use an inferior client, I will simply quit and I'd imagine that a lot of people feel the same way. If the new client is superior, then people will naturally transition over. No one likes change forced upon them.

Nobody is forcing you (yet), you can still use the old client. In fact, this is intended to minimize the backlash you're referring to, by collecting feedback and addressing common issues - as was done after the sneak peek.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

"Beta is running right now (I'm logged in as I write this). Maybe you were trying to access the beta server instead of the live one? 

During the sneak peek, we had to uninstall the beta client that accessed the beta server in order to install the beta client for the live server. How about this time?"

That must be it, someone forgot to set this up on the update. We need some clarification from Wizards.
We took two steps to address this concern. First, the red zone does not open until the Declare Attackers step, and if there are no legal attackers, Magic Online skips over this step. That means the red zone won't open unless combat is actually possible.

Slightly less annoying, but meh.

For those who want to take it one step further, we also added an option to keep the red zone always open. You can find this setting in the "Options" menu in the game window, and in the "In-Duel Settings" on the Accounts tab.

That seems about the best you can do if you really want it there, though. Thanks.

(Perhaps an option to turn it off entirely, also?)

In the long term, we will broaden the "sticky settings" list to include how you have your game chat docked.

Huzzah! Thank you.

The "Card View" feature in the current Magic Online client is the window that shows whatever card you are mousing over, at whatever size you have made the window. Many Magic Online players let us know that this was an important feature to them. We've added it in this Wide Beta release by making it a free-floating window we are calling the Preview Pane. It can be toggled in the "View" or "Options" menu of any area in the beta client that displays cards, as well as in the Account tab.

I didn't use it often, but I missed not having it when I wanted it. Thanks.

Many Magic games end with an "alpha strike" in which one player sends all creatures that can legally attack into the red zone for (hopefully) lethal damage. Other times, an opposing player is tapped out without any creatures, and it's a no-brainer to attack with everything available. To make these attacks more streamlined, we have added "attack with all" functionality to the new client.

That's handy. And it'll make waiting for people playing Storm to declare their attack much less painfully annoying. And I also like how you can use the feature and then pull creatures back, so that you can easily declare everyone as attacking but one guy you're holding back to block, etc.

I do wonder, however, if the right-clicking to get to it is the easiest/most intuitive way to use this option.

We also decided that as long as we were applying this functionality to creatures, we should apply the same tech to tapping a pile of identical lands for mana. Now, if you want to tap all the lands in a pile for the same colored mana, you can do it with a single right click instead of tapping each one individually. Further, if you want to cast, say, a Canyon Minotaur and you have twelve Mountains in a pile, you can click on the Minotaur, then right-click on your Mountainpile and use the "All of these cards: add " function, and it will tap exactly four of them and cast the spell. You can use this for X spells like Fireball to add an entire pile's worth of mana to the X as well.

Sounds good, but I want to see how it works in practice. I can't tell whether that sounds intuitive or not. ("All of these cards" sounds like "tap all of them" to me, not "tap just enough to cast this guy.")

we are working on some other visual and audio communications about changes in the game state.

I hope this means you're working on a better set of sounds. The one thing I was deeply disappointed with in the sneak peek was the sound effects.

While I do think the beta had problems when I used it in the sneak peek, I generally liked it and have missed not being able to use it. I'll be glad to use it again. (Though I tend to be the sort of person who gets used to new versions of things quickly, so I may be more optimistic than many. I didn't hate V3, if that gives some idea.)
After playing in the original (closed) beta, I'm glad to see that a lot of my concerns are being addressed. My first impression was that we were basically just trading the problems in the old client for different ones in the new one, but it sounds like it's heading in the right direction. I'll have to check out the current version later and give some more feedback.
The new client goes live at 1700 UTC (1000 PDT), so you may not be able to download or login before that time.

I will now direct all future feedback on the new client to the <community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...>Beta Feedback Threads on the Magic Onilne Board.

Locked.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Howdy folks,

I have reopened this thread for discussion of the article.  Discussion and feedback of the Wide Beta can be found in the Magic Online General discussion forum. 

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or Sean Gibbons (Wizards_Sean).

Thanks.

All around helpful simian

Mac version next :P ? I cba to run bootcamp all the time.

New layout and feature look very nice and useful. 
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
As before, the beta version crashes on my PC right after it pops up the license window, with this trace:

MagicException
Sorry, an unexpected error has occurred.
The application will now close.

The task 'Loading Card Data...' failed to complete.
at WotC.MtGO.Client.Model.Core.TaskManager.<>c__DisplayClass2.b__0(Object )
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WrappedInvoke(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WrappedInvoke(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherOperation operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
at System.Windows.Window.ShowHelper(Object booleanBox)
at System.Windows.Window.ShowDialog()
at Shiny.Login.LoginView.ConfirmEula()
at Shiny.Login.LoginView.UserControl_Loaded(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at MS.Internal.FrameworkObject.OnLoaded(RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastEvent(DependencyObject root, RoutedEvent routedEvent)
at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastLoadedEvent(Object root)
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireLoadedPendingCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.OnResize()
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndTarget.HandleMessage(WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.HwndTargetFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherOperation operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.ShowWindow(HandleRef hWnd, Int32 nCmdShow)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.ShowWindow(HandleRef hWnd, Int32 nCmdShow)
at System.Windows.Window.ShowHelper(Object booleanBox)
at System.Windows.Application.<.ctor>b__1(Object unused)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
at System.Windows.Application.Run()
at Shiny.App.Main()

Inner exception:CardDataException
There is a critical error.
Please contact customer support if this problem continues.

Error reading XML card data
at WotC.MtGO.Client.Model.Core.CardDataManager.DoInitialize()
at WotC.MtGO.Client.Model.Core.LongRunningTask.TaskThread(Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(Object obj)

Inner exception:System.Xml.XmlException: The input document has exceeded a limit set by MaxCharactersFromEntities.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res, String arg)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ReadData()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ReadDataInName(Int32& pos)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseQName(Boolean isQName, Int32 startOffset, Int32& colonPos)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributes()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
at System.Xml.XmlSubtreeReader.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlReader.ReadToNextSibling(String name)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res, String arg)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ReadData()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ReadDataInName(Int32& pos)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseQName(Boolean isQName, Int32 startOffset, Int32& colonPos)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributes()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
at System.Xml.XmlSubtreeReader.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlReader.ReadToNextSibling(String name)

As before, the beta version crashes on my PC right after it pops up the license window, with this trace:

Try uninstalling Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5, then install .NET Framework 4.
I suppose I could do that, but the point of a beta test is for the creators of the program to fix their problems, not for me to struggle to get their balky code working. I've been pressing the "report" button about this since the beta first came out.

Will we expect support for .NET Framework 4.5 soon?

Will we expect support for .NET Framework 4.5 soon?

Yes.. the lack of working in 4.5 is stopping me from using it. I'm a dev working on Windows 8 apps and currently have 8 on all my computers. So until 4.5 is supported I'm SOL or running in a VM.
Sign In to post comments