The Real Deal G! MonoGreen to tha Max!

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
hahaha having sooo much fun with this build! rancor is just plain silly. If you have a small budget, or you just really want to mess with the opponent, PLAY THIS DECK!! It wins, and it wins HARD!

The Real MonoGreen Aggro deck

--the spankers--
4x gladecover scout
4x young wolf 
4x strangelroot geist
4x champion of lambholt
4x predator ooze

--the paddles--
4x rancor
4x ranger's guile
1x withstand death
4x tezzeret's gambit
1x increasing savegery
4x blessings of nature
1x revenge of the hunted

22x forest

--sb--
depends on your meta, but usual suspects like naturalize, beast within, dismember, r bomb, etc.

so we have lots of recursive guys, a hexproofer, and an indestrutible guy.  obviously save the counters for undyers after they have hit the GY once for maximum effect.  early miracled blessings on a scout is just backbreaking, and it happens often, T1 scout, T2 miracle, swing 5..its gross.  Save your ranger's guile for your champions, who get dirty fast with all the counter based pump and quick dropping creatures.  you want them safe as your REALLY LAME //x guy trys to bounce you out.  rancor on a predator ooze is almost cause for GG.  terminus is your bane, but you can easily mitigate by holding back a creature, preferrably a geist for haste, as well as your tezzeret's gambit, who easily get you some CA and its proliferate is actually helpful to you post blessings, as you should have been evenly distributing your blessings of nature counters, giving all of your dudes a quick bump for a cheap price to you.  revenge of the hunted is a dirty way to either just win right now if you have champion out for unblockable damage or if you have nothing out but a lone dude, an easy way to clear the board - and if that dude is an ooze, watch out, your opponent will probably cry.  

There is NO reason not to have this deck in your FNM arsenal as a switchup to your normal routine.  Its SO CHEAP to build and is wickedly powerful. Do not underestimate this till you sleeve and play- this ruins its more expensive U/W enemies and is really the only way you should be playing monoG.  Big Mean Green is outdated to the max-this just gets there and in a freakin hurry too! 

Cheers!!

EDIT: Forget to list the price! According to TCGplayer, the deck midrange price is $18.12 USD, and thats including the $1 it says the 21 forests are worth....
Needs more Dungrove Elder & Titanic Growth imo.  <3mga<3       
Needs more Dungrove Elder & Titanic Growth imo.  <3mga<3       

Both good cards for this style, but my only thought is that there is no room :/ dungrove I would consider over growth, but where would u cut?

I tried out something similar. But with Wild Defiance, Titanic growth and Wandering wolf. I am kind of fond of using Wandering wolf. What do you think about my deck?

I tried out something similar. But with Wild Defiance, Titanic growth and Wandering wolf. I am kind of fond of using Wandering wolf. What do you think about my deck?

It's a fairly solid list. The only change I'd make offhand is -3 arbor elf (why would you run a ramp element in aggro?) and go up to 4 of wild defiance, blessings, and guile. 

Other than that...this is pretty solid, and you are in good position for post rotation 

It's a fairly solid list. The only change I'd make offhand is -3 arbor elf (why would you run a ramp element in aggro?) and go up to 4 of wild defiance, blessings, and guile. 

Other than that...this is pretty solid, and you are in good position for post rotation 

Okay, thanks!
About the arbor elf I was just running him because I built this deck using no cards that will rotate, and I want some othe creatures then wandering wolf for 1-drops. Otherwise I should probably use some gladecover scouts for that instead. But I have found the arbor elf to be OK, at least it helps me to to get som stuff out earlier. For instance it can help me play strangleroot geist with rancor on turn 2 instead of just the geist. But probably I should just exchange it. I am hoping for some nice green 1-drop in October. Otherwise I am thinking that I might play 2-3 Bond Beetle when the rotation comes. He is not super but has some synergy with the deck at least. What do you think about that?

I don't want to go to far below 20 creatures though. But I guess 18 or 19 could be OK. One more Ranger's guile would be nice for sure. And maybe the fourth wild defiance too. Not sure about putting more miracle cards in the deck though, it increases the odds of getting them in the opening hand which I dont want.

Arbor elf is a solid choice in aggro. What other 1 drop are you going to pick in green other than birds of paradise? And dungrove is a must-have. wolfir avenger is also a good consideration. 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

At this point you still have access to Llanowar Elves.  I would also consider playing a few Prey Upon.
One drop aggressive creatures are the only real problem with mono green.  Ramp can come in really handy tho as stated, and the fact that he can at least hit for one makes the Arbor Elf alright.

I've found Ambush Viper quite handy in MGA, since he's removal that can also swing for 2 if needed.   

Edit:  Nevermind that comment about the aggressive one drop, RTR is giving us Dryad Militant, and there was much rejoicing.       
At this point you still have access to Llanowar Elves.  I would also consider playing a few Prey Upon.

I was considering using Ulvenwald Tracker instead of Prey upon. Maybe 1 in the main deck and another one in the sideboard. Or at least 1 in the sideboard even if I don't use him in main deck. Thoughts on that guy in this kind of deck?

Other then that I made a rough sketch for cards to put in the sideboard, goes something like this:

Not too sure about all of those, any thoughts?

@nopemx6: Where can I find information about this Dryad Militant? The link to the gatherer just seems to give me a blank page. Sounds very interesting though.
Where can I find information about this Dryad Militant? The link to the gatherer just seems to give me a blank page. Sounds very interesting though.

You can google it, find a spoiler for RtR or you can just check the Future Set Speculation section of the forums, here.

Gatherer links for RtR cards don't work ATM (as you've noticed) since RtR cards won't be up on the gatherer till it gets closer to the release date.

How to autocard: [spoiler] [c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

@nopemx6: Where can I find information about this Dryad Militant? The link to the gatherer just seems to give me a blank page. Sounds very interesting though.

There's a page focused solely on New Set Speculation. The Dryad Miltant is a a G/W one-drop that's a 2/1 and exiles all sorceries and instants when they hit the graveyard. It's pretty much a middle finger to Snapcaster Mage.

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

There's a page focused solely on New Set Speculation. The Dryad Miltant is a a G/W one-drop that's a 2/1 and exiles all sorceries and instants when they hit the graveyard. It's pretty much a middle finger to Snapcaster Mage.

Sounds very nice I have to say.

And I am sorry for my ignorance, thanks for the information guys!
yes, he will be going in sb for sure.  The real issue i have with many of the creatures mentioned is they do not have built in protection from tempo disruptions.  With bounce, the new detain feature, and a host of other ways that U/W always has way too many of to screw the little guy, we need more power.  The wolfir avenger is nice with regen, but sucks away precious mana, and im running a low count anways.  i like lots of miracles because we need to find them.  if they are in the opener, sucks, but cant be helped.  mully if need be.  There really is only so much we can do with just green and a budget under 20 dollars, but its still a super fun deck, very easy to build and play, and actually can compete at an upper tier, which i find amusing, because delver costs about 20 times as much money.  Really any cheap green aggro can work, i just like my original build because every critter thats dropped has some way of being safe on its on, save the champion, which we have spells to help out.  a bunch of pumped up unblockables is a good way to outrace our expensive competition IMO