Mono White Humans

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I threw this deck together last minute for FNM last night. It was pretty fun and did better than I was expecting, so I'm looking to improve it and try again.

I created the deck with the intention to curve up into Odric and swing with a bunch of unblockable dudes, but that only happened one time all night. Most of the time I was relying on fast aggro provided by my one-drops and two-drops, with the exception of Elite Vanguard who was rarely of use (and I intend to drop). Odric was still awesome when he came into play, he just wasn't as vital as I figured he would be. I rarely drew into my three-drops, so it's hard to say how they work in the deck. But I do feel like I need more Oblivion Rings. Angelic Destiny is a beast, and quite often a game winner.

The real surprise was Stave Off. I originally just threw it in as filler, but the protection from spot removal came in handy all night. And in one game it let me swing past a wall of chump-blocking tokens for lethal. I intend to upgrade to Faith's Shield and go up to four copies.

My biggest issue was that I found myself mana-flooded several times. Not sure if I need less mana, or just needed to shuffle my deck better. Probably some combination of both.
Hi and welcome to the forum.      You've got a lot of good cards in there, 4 Odric, Master Tacticians seems a little odd tho, being Legendary.  I'd drop one for the 4th Silverblade Paladin.   You might try out Riders of Gavony too.  Most human decks do run >24 lands.  You top out at 4 mana, so 22 or 23 land should play fine.  Others will probably say even less.   
I wouldnt run less than 23 lands. Its possible war falcon could make the cut with all the soldiers and knights, but Im not sure. I would drop the 4th odric and the 4th angelic destiny. 

-1 odric -1 destiny -1 land -2 stave off +4 faith's shield +1 silverblade paladin seems like a reasonable place to start with this deck. 

Some of these suggestions depend on your metagame. I am assuming there is a good amount of vapor snags to really put the hurt on angelic destiny, although the faith's shield should help with that giving pro blue in response. Perhaps the 4th destiny belongs in the side, for decks that cant really remove it.

I would really have to recommend grand abolisher for any deck relying heavily on angelic destiny. I realize its rotating but its not too expensive, and curving 1 drop ->abolisher->silverblade->destiny is pretty sick, since abolisher makes your stuff uncounterable and unsnaggable. The pro zombie guy is an alright sideboard option as well. 

Hi and welcome to the forum.      You've got a lot of good cards in there, 4 Odric, Master Tacticians seems a little odd tho, being Legendary.  I'd drop one for the 4th Silverblade Paladin.   You might try out Riders of Gavony too.  Most human decks do run >24 lands.  You top out at 4 mana, so 22 or 23 land should play fine.  Others will probably say even less.   

Thank you. I thought Odric was going to be more vital to the deck than he ended up being, so I ran the full set to maximize my odds of being able to drop him turn 4 (the ideal was to go Champion > Gather > Silverblade (Bond to Champion) > Odric and swing for 19 unblockable on turn 5).

However, since in practice Odric was not as important as expected (though still damn good), I definitly want to drop down to 2-3 copies. And the fourth Silverblade is a fine suggestion. Not sure how much use I'd get out of Riders of Gavony since I usually don't see many tribles decks, but 3/3 Vigilence is pretty good on it's own, so it's worth considering for the sideboard at least. Thank you for your suggestions.

I wouldnt run less than 23 lands. Its possible war falcon could make the cut with all the soldiers and knights, but Im not sure. I would drop the 4th odric and the 4th angelic destiny. 

-1 odric -1 destiny -1 land -2 stave off +4 faith's shield +1 silverblade paladin seems like a reasonable place to start with this deck. 

Some of these suggestions depend on your metagame. I am assuming there is a good amount of vapor snags to really put the hurt on angelic destiny, although the faith's shield should help with that giving pro blue in response. Perhaps the 4th destiny belongs in the side, for decks that cant really remove it.

I would really have to recommend grand abolisher for any deck relying heavily on angelic destiny. I realize its rotating but its not too expensive, and curving 1 drop ->abolisher->silverblade->destiny is pretty sick, since abolisher makes your stuff uncounterable and unsnaggable. The pro zombie guy is an alright sideboard option as well. 

I like the War Falcon suggestion and will definitly consider it.

The meta of my FNM is fairly balanced with about half of the regulars usually playing high teir decks, with the other half playing fun/rogue/whatever-they-felt-like-playing decks. So it's a good mix of fun and competitive. The match-ups I saw useing this deck were a Venser/Stonehorn lock (Which I lost to, 2-1), Reanimator (win, 2-0), Goblins (win, 2-0), and Red/White Aggro (loose, 2-1). [no 5th match because I got there late and took an automatic first round loss] The RW was a weird case of subpar deck/awesome player and all three matches came down to "If you don't kill me this turn I win" situations. Other decks I spotted around the room included a few Delvers, Mono Green Ramp (the kind with 50 squillion mana dorks), and some RG Aggro.

Love the Grand Abolisher suggestion, I'll see about getting some. Although I have no idea what I'd cut for him. I definatly don't want to cut my Elite Inquisitor (I assume that's who you meant by pro Zombie guy?), at least not completely- might be willing to go down to three. But that guy was the deck's second biggest workhorse (after Champion of the Parish). 2/2 First strike & Vigilance for two is just so powerful, he was a great attacker and always made my opponents think twice about attacking at the same time.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Hero of Bladehold is an excellent choice for the deck as well. A 2-2 Split of bladehold/odric would be good. I know that Hero will be rotating soon, but that doesnt change the fact that she is very good. I would actually consider running her over the odrics if you have/can get them.

I also like Grand Abolisher here as well as a 4 Silverblade and -1 Angelic Destiny ( 4 is a bit too many).

Riders of Gavony are more of a sideboard card than a minadeck card.

Overall, your list looks good. 
100th post on 5/29/12 500th post on 8/20/12
Hero of Bladehold is an excellent choice for the deck as well. A 2-2 Split of bladehold/odric would be good. I know that Hero will be rotating soon, but that doesnt change the fact that she is very good. I would actually consider running her over the odrics if you have/can get them.

I also like Grand Abolisher here as well as a 4 Silverblade and -1 Angelic Destiny ( 4 is a bit too many).

Riders of Gavony are more of a sideboard card than a minadeck card.

Overall, your list looks good. 

You know, previously I had been avoiding Bladehold just because she was so expensive. (don't have any already. came back to the game durring Innistrad, so I have very few Scars block cards). But since you mentioned her, I went and checked her price again- and her impending rotation has brought her price down to a much more reasonable level. So I think I'll take your advice and buy a pair.

Of course it helps that the character looks cool, so I'd love to have her even after rotation just to hang out in the binder. I'm a bit of a sucker for cards with great art and/or cool characters.

Thanks for your help.

I ended up having to work Fridays the past couple weeks, but I'm finally going back to FNM tomorrow (probably) and this is the updated Humans list I plan to take.

Your max CMC is 4, why are you running 23 lands? All my mono decks run 22 tops, and they curve out above this. I'd try 20.

Also, why no Bladesplicer/Restoration Angel? 

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Your max CMC is 4, why are you running 23 lands? All my mono decks run 22 tops, and they curve out above this. I'd try 20.

Alright. I'll drop down to 20 and gofish a few times, see how it draws. I'll try giving those land slots to aditional copies of Abolisher, Inquisitor, and O.Ring.

Also, why no Bladesplicer/Restoration Angel? 

Don't own any.
Ah. That sucks. I'd invest in Restos if possible. The splicers--I mean, I love 'em, but lots of peeps don't wanna trade for 'em and they're always sold out at my shop, so...

I found Carmen Sandiego before you were born unless you're Zlehtnoba.

Sign In to post comments