Bestiary Format and Monster Abilities

I'm looking at the 8-17 playtest Bestiary. Nice Work! Two main complaints:

1. Listing Multiattack as a separate entry is harder to read. A more straightforward method would be to list Multiattack, then place its component attacks directly beneath with indenting bullet points.

2. What happened to the Gray Ooze? I appreciate it's weapon corrosion ability, but it used to have armor corrosion and immunity to cold and fire! Pray ye do not genericize oozes by taking away their unusual traits. Look to their 1e Monster Manual entries!

Miscellaneous: Why does the Ogre have Dense? Its Int is already so low, it seems like splitting hairs.
Where'd the Troll's reach go? It used to be 10 ft.
Please share with the rest of the class.
Where did you get this??

Please share with the rest of the class.
Where did you get this??

8-17 was the date of the packet.  This is the same bestiary we all have.

Yes, the August 17th packet. One more concern:

Dirty Fighter, Mob Tactics, Commander, Savage, and Low Cunning are too similar in effect, and their names are not very illuminating; those and comparable traits like Steadfast seem like they'd make things harder to run, battlemat or not: too many conditional bonuses floating around, and I'd have a hard time remembering by name which are damage, attack, both, and which are in-sight versus in-reach.

These are all designed to come into play when creatures attack en masse, which is exactly when they'd be difficult to use.
I don't know if basic mounts would be useful at this stage, but I look for horses (light or heavy, war or not), wolves and weasel/ ferret in the next packet if possible. I know you want to limit what you have in here too, if the plan is to have core rulebooks to *sell*. Just saying, those are critters I happened to look for and missed seeing them.
Yes, the August 17th packet. One more concern:

Dirty Fighter, Mob Tactics, Commander, Savage, and Low Cunning are too similar in effect, and their names are not very illuminating; those and comparable traits like Steadfast seem like they'd make things harder to run, battlemat or not: too many conditional bonuses floating around, and I'd have a hard time remembering by name which are damage, attack, both, and which are in-sight versus in-reach.

These are all designed to come into play when creatures attack en masse, which is exactly when they'd be difficult to use.

I objected to Mob Tactics as being a mark-like effect that needed to be tracked.  Not to mention the fact that, being an action to mark the target, it required my assuming altruistic group-mentality tactics on the part of a centipede.

They should work similarly to how the thug tactics work:  If two or more other creatures with the same trait are in reach of the target, they gain the benefit.  No marking, no centepedes giving up their attacks to help their allies hit.  Just a single condition the DM can check for at the time of the attack and apply.

Carl   
2. What happened to the Gray Ooze? I appreciate it's weapon corrosion ability, but it used to have armor corrosion and immunity to cold and fire! Pray ye do not genericize oozes by taking away their unusual traits. Look to their 1e Monster Manual entries!
---------
Not to mention the fact that the skeleton is the only monster in the entire bestiary to have any type of resistance or vulnerability. Oozes should naturally have resist bludgeoning, undead should have resist necrotic and vulnerable radiant (or resist unholy and vulnerable holy) etc.
2. What happened to the Gray Ooze? I appreciate it's weapon corrosion ability, but it used to have armor corrosion and immunity to cold and fire! Pray ye do not genericize oozes by taking away their unusual traits. Look to their 1e Monster Manual entries! --------- Not to mention the fact that the skeleton is the only monster in the entire bestiary to have any type of resistance or vulnerability. Oozes should naturally have resist bludgeoning, undead should have resist necrotic and vulnerable radiant (or resist unholy and vulnerable holy) etc.

My take on Gray Ooze:   community.wizards.com/dndnext/go/thread/...

Carl
A list of monsters by level may be helpful to DMs making their own playtest adventures, so I'll post my 11/13 list here. If a Wiz tells me this is a playtest violation, I'll readily remove it.
Bestiary List by Level
L1
Beetle, Fire
Centipede, Giant
Crab, Giant
Demon, Quasit
Dinosaur, Pteranadon
Goblin
Hobgoblin
Horse
Human Berserker
Human Commoner
Human Warrior
Kobold
Kobold Dragonshield
Kobold, Winged (Urd)
Lizardfolk
Monkey, Carnivorous
Phanaton
Phanaton Warrior
Rakasta
Rat, Cave
Rat, Dire
Skeleton
Stirge
Wolf
Zombie

L2
Carrion Crawler
Dark Acolyte
Devil, Imp
Doppleganger
Gnoll
Goblin Leader
Green Slime
Kobold Trap Lord
Lizard, Giant
Orc
Spider, Giant
Troglodyte
Wolf, Dire

L3
Ape, Carnivorous
Bugbear
Dryad
Ghost
Gnoll Leader
Gray Ooze
Harpy
Hell Hound
Hobgoblin Leader
Human War Chief
Human Witch Doctor
Lycanthrope, Werewolf
Orog
Snake, Giant

L4
Ankheg
Aranea
Basilisk
Dark Adept
Dark Priest
Gel Cube
Ghoul
Great Cat, Saber T
Hag, Green
Lizardfolk King
Mimic
Ogre
Orc Leader
Pegasus
Wraith

L5
Dinosaur, Allosaurus
    Ankylosaurus
    Plesiosaurus
Displacer Beast
Drow
Gargoyle
Manticore
Medusa
Minotaur
Mummy
Ochre Jelly
Owlbear
Wight

L6
Demon, Vrock
Elemental (Air, Earth, Fire, Water)
Giant, Hill
Golem, Flesh
Griffon
Hydra
Kopru
Roc
Roper
Troll
Wyvern

L7
Ape, Giant Carnivorous
Mind Flayer

L8
Chimera
Dragon, White

L9
Dragon, Black
    Green
Treant
December Playtest. The initial issues have been fixed! Yay! 3 new suggestions:

1. Give the Gelatinous Cube lightning immunity/resistance and an odd response to Cold.
D&D Oozes complement each other: Electricity is the only energy type that damages the Gray Ooze, while the Gelatinous Cube is immune to it and susceptible to weapons, and the Black Pudding splits when struck by either. Most oozes are immune to cold, but the Gelatinous Cube turns into a somewhat inert ice cube instead. The same with hazards: Green Slime is fought with fire, but Brown Mold grows larger when exposed to it.

2. Monster trait names must be self-explanative and standardized.
During play, DMs must be able to read the stats at a glance, so please make it easy for us:

Animated (Skeleton), Shambling Undead (Zombie), Hatred of Life (Wight) are all functionally the same. Instead of "Essence of Air" or "Heart of Fire" just list: "Amorphous, Immune to Disease, Paralysis, Poison, Sleep". Don't over-proliferate bundling lists of traits into their own trait (ie "Dragon" for Immune to Paralysis and Sleep). Listing "Mindless", "Fearless", and "don't need to eat, sleep, or breathe" separately is actually easier to read than the word "Elemental" or "Undead" followed by a paragraph; it's more self-explanative.

Also, flavor is good, but not fluff sentences mixed into the mechanic block.

3. Standardize same-named monster actions.
We must standardize labels to make entries easier to process at a glance. Dinosaur, Allosaurus and Great Cat: Sabre-Toothed Tiger both have "Pounce", but Allosaurus' description of how it works is wordier and it is unable to make a bite attack as part of it.
Sign In to post comments