Off action ways to deal elemental damage to yourself?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I really like the idea of the Generator bladesinger build, and was wondering what other ways we can come up with to deal small amounts of elemental damage to ourselves while otherwise operating normally in order to trigger Lightning Soul and Fiery Blood.

Arcane Admixture or Elemental Weapon with Chromatic Bolt. The secondary damage can be directed back at yourself to then trigger the the feats and launch extra damage back at the enemy. 

Erupting Flare is already fire, and you can admix lightning to get the benefit of both feats, you just have to end your turn adjacent to the target to take the damage 

That's about what I've got so far... 
Atonement? Pretty much anything that works on a Breather should work here.
Have a +1 Wis mod. Admix lightning into Cloud of Daggers. Lay down the AoE, then walk into it, taking 1 damage and triggering Lighting Soul immediately. On your next turn, you start in the zone, therefore you trigger it again.
Have a +1 Wis mod. Admix lightning into Cloud of Daggers. Lay down the AoE, then walk into it, taking 1 damage and triggering Lighting Soul immediately. On your next turn, you start in the zone, therefore you trigger it again.

At which point you've spent a standard action at level 11+ to deal two shots of 10 damage (spread across two turns, mind you), having spent two Paragon feats for the privilege.

I suppose it's not strictly worse than Magic Missile, but . . . even I can see that that's kind of a waste.

At which point you've spent a standard action at level 11+ to deal two shots of 10 damage (spread across two turns, mind you), having spent two Paragon feats for the privilege.

I suppose it's not strictly worse than Magic Missile, but . . . even I can see that that's kind of a waste.

Strictly better then MM. It triggers twice for one standard, MM takes two standards to trigger twice. Probably not worth it, but given the constraints it is very valid.

I'm just saying, MM doesn't take two Paragon feats and self-damage to function. At this point, it really doesn't count as being especially "off-action."
Here's another one: The Burning Flux psion at-will with an architect's staff to add extra squares to the zone. Burning Flux has yet to be hit with the 1/turn restriction, so you can dance in and out of the zone as many times as your movement allows. A Dragonborn Psion/MC Martial/Honorable Blade to add lightning to the architect staff to trigger both fiery blood and lightning soul. Deva Heritage and Heavenly Heritage to gain temps equal to the damage taken at each instance. The only tricky part is that fiery blood only damages adjacent enemies so we would need some way to avoid OA's while dancing back and forth in the zone in front of them, and of course increasing movement as much as possible. 
Ongoing damage? Stack up different amounts or types and could have a grand ole time at the start of your turn. Trick would be to find a way to fail your saves.
Ongoing damage? Stack up different amounts or types and could have a grand ole time at the start of your turn. Trick would be to find a way to fail your saves.

Saving grace
Here's another one: The Burning Flux psion at-will with an architect's staff to add extra squares to the zone. Burning Flux has yet to be hit with the 1/turn restriction, so you can dance in and out of the zone as many times as your movement allows.

Been there, got shot down.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...(does_this_shenanigans_build_work)
Burning Flux HAS been errata'd to 1/turn.