The Great Uniter: Avenger|Warlord / Morninglord / Legendary Sovereign

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Since birth, you have always known that you were destined to change the world. As you grew older, this awareness became a conviction. You would not permit the people of the world to continue suffering the endless wars of their minor kingdoms. You would unite the world; and in doing so, bring it peace.

First off, a couple unusual things worth noting in this build:
1) It worships 3 deities (Erathis, Amaunator, and a skill deity...I like Kol Korran to fit with the Civilization theme). A way around this is in the Variations later.
2) It uses full plate armor, without being proficient. The penalty for lack of proficiency is -2 to attack rolls and -2 to reflex. For this character, I considered those acceptable. You could MC Cleric for BCL, but you get weaker armor, lose a feat, and get a lot of dirty looks for being cheesy.

Level 30 Build
Human, Avenger|Warlord, Morninglord, Legendary Sovereign
Fey Beast Tamer Starting Feature: Fey Beast Tamer Companion (Young Owlbear)
Hybrid Avenger: Hybrid Avenger Reflex
Warlord Leadership: Battlefront Leader (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlord: Hybrid Warlord Fortitude
Hybrid Talent: Avenger's Censure (Hybrid)
Avenger's Censure: Censure of Unity
Human Power Selection: Heroic Effort
Sword of Kings: Soulforge Hammering
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 16, Int 12, Wis 28, Cha 20.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 12, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 12.

AC: 47 Fort: 39 Reflex: 39 Will: 47
HP: 186 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 46

TRAINED SKILLS
Heal +30, Intimidate +26, Diplomacy +26, Perception +30

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +14, Arcana +16, Bluff +20, Dungeoneering +24, Endurance +13, History +16, Insight +24, Nature +24, Religion +16, Stealth +14, Streetwise +20, Thievery +14, Athletics +11

FEATS
Human: Power of Skill
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Flail Expertise
Level 4: Sword of Hestavar
Level 6: Divine Distraction
Level 8: Mark of Healing
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Fight On
Level 12: Painful Oath
Level 14: Avenging Surge
Level 16: Superior Will
Level 18: Improved Battlefront Shift (retrained to Shift the Field at Level 22)
Level 20: Emboldening Critical (retrained to Vengeful Declaration at Level 21)
Level 21: Hand of Divine Guidance
Level 22: Punishing Radiance
Level 24: Righteous Focus
Level 26: Supreme Inspiration
Level 28: Heavenly Torrent
Level 30: Superior Initiative

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Direct the Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Overwhelming Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Vengeance is Mine
Hybrid daily 1: Temple of Light
Hybrid utility 2: Refocus Enmity
Hybrid encounter 3: Fury's Advance
Hybrid daily 5: Stand the Fallen
Hybrid utility 6: Rousing Words
Hybrid encounter 7: Powerful Warning
Hybrid daily 9: Warlord's Recovery
Hybrid utility 10: Tactical Orders
Hybrid encounter 13: Death from Two Sides (replaces Vengeance is Mine)
Hybrid daily 15: War Master's Assault (replaces Stand the Fallen)
Hybrid utility 16: Bolstering Shout
Hybrid encounter 17: Soulforge Hammering (replaces Fury's Advance)
Hybrid daily 19: Exhorted Counterattack (replaces Warlord's Recovery)
Hybrid utility 22: Rush of Battle
Hybrid encounter 23: Impromptu Attack (replaces Powerful Warning)
Hybrid daily 25: Mantle of the Astral Champion (replaces Temple of Light)
Hybrid encounter 27: Insightful Assault (replaces Vengeance is Mine)

ITEMS
Dread Alhulak +6, Golden Crown of Battle Command (paragon tier), General's Belt (paragon tier), Pelor's Sun Blessing (level 3), Ring of Giants (paragon tier), Siberys Shard of Radiance (epic tier), Symbol of Victory +6, Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier), Ring of Action Reversal (paragon tier), Cloak of Distortion +6, Antipathy Gloves (heroic tier), Sandals of Avandra (epic tier), Solitaire (Violet) (epic tier), Shield of Fellowship Heavy Shield (paragon tier), Veteran's Godplate Armor +6

The basic idea is a leadstriker that gives constant buffs to allies who attack the OoE target, coupled with some strong beatdown powers. You know Magic Weapon? This guy pretty much has it as an aura. Here are some statistics of note:
Capabilities

BUFFS: If an adjacent ally attacks your OoE target, they get +11 damage, +1 attack, and at least 12 THP. If you hit the enemy already, it's also vulnerable 10 radiant. If you granted the attack via a Warlord power, there's an extra +2 attack and +2 damage. If you crit the enemy, there's an addition 10 vuln, -6 to all defenses, and on the first crit your allies get to reroll all attacks.

In other words, when you use Insightful Assault, your allies' attacks get +23 damage, +3 attack, CA, and they get 12 THP after hitting. Unless you crit, in which case it's +33 damage, +9 attack (and then CA), and rerolls (and the 12 THP when they hit). Even the swordmage is pretty fierce when you're around.

HEALING: 2 uses of Inspiring Word, each targets 2 creatures. One encounter use of Rousing Words (one target spends 2 surges), and one of Bolstering Shout (let all allies second wind as a minor). A daily item power lets you spend a surge, and Rising Sun (daily) gives small surgeless healing to everyone in a burst 5. All of the aforementioned powers also grant a saving throw to each target.

DEFENSES: Two high defenses, and two low defenses. Fortunately, the high ones are the most important (AC and Will). Cloak of Distortion saves you from snipers. Backlash Tattoo serves as a disincentive to attack you, and until level 27, Vengeance Is Mine does as well. Antipathy Gloves, and constant shifting from Overwhelming Strike, should help make sure there's only one enemy on you at a time.

ATTACKS/DPR: This is, to a large extent, a Unity Avenger/Morninglord that gives strong incentive for party members to crowd. So...personal DPR is decent (spamming Overwhelming Strike, assuming one extra ally for Unity bonus, KPR is just over .25). OS also works with Death From Two Sides and Insightful Assault, and knocks prone, keeping the enemy around and opening more damage options for allies. The real damage here, of course, is in the nova and the party contribution.

NOVA: Awesomesauce. Check the next section.

ENABLING: Shift the Field helps get everyone into position before battle, and Tactical Orders aids even more in getting the right setup. In terms of attacks, Death From Two Sides, Insightful Assault, and Great Captain (the Legendary Sovereign f21) are *great* when paired with the buffs this build grants.

DAILIES: This is one of the weakest parts of the build. Rush of Battle is great, as is Sword of the Sovereign. Exhorted Counterattack and War Master's Assault are decent. Mantle of the Astral Champion gives phasing and fly 6 (with hover), so it's nearly unlimited mobility 1 enc/day.

Breakdown of the first couple rounds. The power choices are fairly typical; it's the buffs that accompany them which make them exceptional.
Turn Breakdown

(Roll initiative: Shift the Field)

Turn 1
OoE as a free action
Move: Tactical Orders if necessary to bring an ally into position
Standard: Death From Two Sides (you have CA, rerolls, and Heroic Effort; your ally has CA, +3 to the attack, and around +23 damage)
AP: Soulforge Hammering (crit on 18-20)
Minor: Soulforge Hammering
if any of your 3 attacks are a crit, then Great Captain: all allies make BAs wherever they like, but with gigantic bonuses against your OoE target (if still alive)

Turn 2:
enemy 1 should be dead, so OoE as a free action
move adjacent, TO if it hasn't been used
Standard: Insightful Assault
Minor: Soulforge Hammering

Turn 3+:
Alternate Soulforge Hammering (at level 30), Overwhelming Strike, or Direct the Strike, depending on what's useful.

MBA spammers will be very powerful with the granted attacks. Multi-attackers will be very powerful from all the damage buffs. No matter what, things die fast.

AT LOWER LEVELS
Heroic
You start out with 20 AC, and pretty good personal DPR. The leader side is weak for the first few levels, but picks up with Sword of Hestavar, Divine Distraction, and Rousing Words (at level 6 you're giving an always-on +5 damage).

Levels 6-10 are pretty much just picking up some feat taxes and extra options.

Paragon
Now we're getting excited. Fight On makes you a much better leader. Death From Two Sides is one of the best powers in the game. But it's around level 16 that things seriously take off. The Morninglord feature is nice (obviously), but we also get our THP fountain (Avenging Surge + Shield of Fellowship), and hopefully the head slot too (Golden Crown of Battle Command). These three pieces put together mean your buffing abilities just shot through the roof.

Epic
Nothing build-defining here, that happened earlier. These pieces, however, make crit-fishing into your most powerful buffing/enabling ability - and as an avenger, crit-fishing is something you're quite good at. You also get Supreme Inspiration to bring healing past the point that you should ever need.

VARIATIONS
LFR-legal: swap Morninglord for Battlelord of Kord. Swap Mark of Healing for Saving Inspiration. Swap Sword of Hestavar for whatever you like (I really hate that avengers are essentially required to worship a skill deity to function).

Another option here is to swap Sword of Hestavar for Divine Healer (BCL) and then use Knight Commander as the PP.

I'm writing this in a rush, so I hope I didn't leave out anything major. PEACH.
Looks nice, but how exactly are you breaking the one per turn free action attack limit on turn one? The main problem I've run into while playing a legendary sovereign as a leader is that if you crit an enabling attack other than death from two sides, your allies will not be able to benefit from it since you already granted them an attack.

And... um... why wouldn't morninglord be LFR-legal? Amaunator is in the forgotten realms, isn't he? I've seen that path used plenty of times in the LFR adventures and no one raised any eyebrows over it.
It is, but other things require other gods, and in LFR, 1 god per (except changelings).
Looks nice, but how exactly are you breaking the one per turn free action attack limit on turn one? The main problem I've run into while playing a legendary sovereign as a leader is that if you crit an enabling attack other than death from two sides, your allies will not be able to benefit from it since you already granted them an attack.

And... um... why wouldn't morninglord be LFR-legal? Amaunator is in the forgotten realms, isn't he? I've seen that path used plenty of times in the LFR adventures and no one raised any eyebrows over it.

Morninglord is fine, but 3 gods isn't. And since avengers need Power of Skill to not suck (and this build particularly uses it)...

You're right about Insightful Assault+Great Captain. I'll switch the turn breakdown to use DfTS in round 1 (they're both pretty equally awesome).

Morninglord is fine, but 3 gods isn't. And since avengers need Power of Skill to not suck (and this build particularly uses it)...

You're right about Insightful Assault+Great Captain. I'll switch the turn breakdown to use DfTS in round 1 (they're both pretty equally awesome).

I see, forgot about the diety limit.

One very minor thing: I saw you used vengeance is mine until level 27. In my experiences in epic tier, it is an extremely unreliable power there since it triggers off you getting hit, while just about any hit there slides/pushes/stuns/dominates/dazes/lets the monster grab you and fly off/swallows you etc. I've been able to use it in 4 out of 20 encounters so far, so I'd recommand changing it to something else (maybe powerful warning).
Okay, I can buy that. At 13, I'll retrain VIM and keep Powerful Warning instead. It only matters for 4 levels, but do you think at 23 I should retrain Powerful Warning for Impromptu Attack?

And all advice is appreciated, so thanks!
Okay, I can buy that. At 13, I'll retrain VIM and keep Powerful Warning instead. It only matters for 4 levels, but do you think at 23 I should retrain Powerful Warning for Impromptu Attack?

And all advice is appreciated, so thanks!

That would probably be a good pick, yes. It's probably more reliable and damaging than the other warlord immediates until level 27.
Sign In to post comments