[casual] Exalted - Sky Ruin Deck

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

I'm starting to build an exalted deck and decided to combine it with Emeria Sky Ruin to get Scion of Darkness into the battlefield if needed.

So, what do you guys think about the following deck?

Lands ( 20 ):
4 x Cathedral of War
4 x Emeria, the Sky Ruin
12 x Plains

Artefacts( 4 ):
4 x Wayfarer's Bauble

Creatures( 24 ):
4 x Knight of the White Orchid
4 x Knight of Glory
4 x Sigiled Paladin
4 x Akrasan Squire
4 x Soltari Monk
4 x Scion of Darkness

Instants ( 8 ):
4 x Divine Deflection
4 x Rebuff the Wicked

Enchantments ( 4 ):
4 x Oblivion Ring

Sideboard (15):
4 x Soltari Priest
4 x Otherworldly Journey
4 x Flickering Ward
3 x Hold the Line

I will use creatures with exalted and the cathedral of war com bined with 4 soltari with shadow to try to bring down my opponent.

If the game last long enough I will use  Wayfarer's Bauble and Knight of the White Orchid to get the 7 plains to use Emeria, the Sky Ruin, that will enable me to cycle one powerfull creature like Scion of Darknessusing Emeria, the Sky Ruin.

I will also have some enchantments and instats to protect me and my creatures. 

What is your budget? Do you have any Format or Legality restrictions?

I'm having a hard time justifying the 8 CIPT lands here. Cut Cathedral Of War for more Plains. I would also go up to 24 Lands here.

Scion Of DarkNess isn't going to be reliably reanimated with Emeria, The Sky Ruin - I'd drop it for Aven Squire, as you need more cards with Evasion. 

I dislike Divine Deflection here, I'd look at something like WhisperSilk Cloak, as you need more cards with Evasion. 

Since Emeria, The Sky Ruin puts cards into play, you might want to run some stuff with fun ETB triggers - Champion Of The Parish would be good here, maybe Fiend Hunter too. Knight Of The White Orchid is a cute inclusion. 

I'm unconvinced Rebuff The Wicked is good here, as you aren't really running any big obvious pieces that both need to be protected and are obvious targets.

So:

- 4 Cathedral Of War
+ 4 Plains

- 4 Scion Of DarkNess
+ 4 Aven Squire

- 4 Divine Deflection
+ 4 WhisperSilk Cloak

- 4 Rebuff The Wicked
+ 4 Fiend Hunter

How to autocard: 

Show

[*c]CardName[/*c] (remove the *'s) to autocard!

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

Remove the *'s to autodeck!

sorry to be a pain but how do you add card links to a post? so people can view the card just be highlighting it?
sorry to be a pain but how do you add card links to a post? so people can view the card just be highlighting it?

[*c]CardName[/*c] (remove the *'s) to autocard.

How to autocard: 

Show

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

What is your budget? Do you have any Format or Legality restrictions?

I'm having a hard time justifying the 8 CIPT lands here. Cut Cathedral Of War for more Plains. I would also go up to 24 Lands here.

Scion Of DarkNess isn't going to be reliably reanimated with Emeria, The Sky Ruin - I'd drop it for Aven Squire, as you need more cards with Evasion. 

I dislike Divine Deflection here, I'd look at something like WhisperSilk Cloak, as you need more cards with Evasion. 

Since Emeria, The Sky Ruin puts cards into play, you might want to run some stuff with fun ETB triggers - Champion Of The Parish would be good here, maybe Fiend Hunter too. Knight Of The White Orchid is a cute inclusion. 

I'm unconvinced Rebuff The Wicked is good here, as you aren't really running any big obvious pieces that both need to be protected and are obvious targets.

So:

- 4 Cathedral Of War
+ 4 Plains

- 4 Scion Of DarkNess
+ 4 Aven Squire

- 4 Divine Deflection
+ 4 WhisperSilk Cloak

- 4 Rebuff The Wicked
+ 4 Fiend Hunter

I don't have card restrictions and about the budget ... I just don't want to spend to much with a single card, unless it's a planeswalker or other key card.

Catedral of War and Emeria, the Sky Ruin are the core of this deck and I do have Wayfarer's Bauble to acelerate the mana production ... mainly to get the 7 plains quickly into the field. I don't want to take out Catedral of War, since that would break the deck main strategy, but I can take out Emeria Sky Ruin if I use an alternative miderange strategy.

Scion Of DarkNess it's more for miderange, combined with Emeria, the Sky Ruin, if I can't take out my opponent using exalted, Scion can give the deck the muscle it needs if the game drags for too long. If I take it out, what do you suggest I use to replace it's function?

About Divine Deflection, that's there because of burn decks and company, replacing it by a artifact isn't a great ideia, since my friends have plenty of anti-artifact cards ... it wouldn't last long in the field.

But your right about Rebuff the Wicked, maybe replacing it by te 4 Aven Squire's.

I'm considering taking out the Knight Of The White Orchid by:
- 2 Battlegrace Angel and 2 Expedition Map
- 1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride and 1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant and 2 Expedition Map

Another idea is to replace the Soltari Priest/Monk by Knight of Meadowgrain or Mistmeadow Skulk.

I don't want to take out Catedral of War, since that would break the deck main strategy, but I can take out Emeria Sky Ruin if I use an alternative miderange strategy.

So this deck is more about the Exalted bonus than Emeria, The Sky Ruin?
If you aren't looking to take advantage of Emeria, The Sky Ruin why not build this deck in Bant colours?

Scion Of DarkNess it's more for miderange, combined with Emeria, the Sky Ruin, if I can't take out my opponent using exalted, Scion can give the deck the muscle it needs if the game drags for too long. If I take it out, what do you suggest I use to replace it's function?

You have no way of getting it into your graveyard (save drawing it) - it's too unreliable. I would focus on a weenie strategy.

About Divine Deflection, that's there because of burn decks and company, replacing it by a artifact isn't a great ideia, since my friends have plenty of anti-artifact cards ... it wouldn't last long in the field.

Fair enough.

I'm considering taking out the Knight Of The White Orchid by

It's good alongside Emeria, The Sky Ruin - I'd remove both or none.

Another idea is to replace the Soltari Priest/Monk by Knight of Meadowgrain or Mistmeadow Skulk.

I wouldn't - you need the Evasion it grants.

How to autocard: 

Show

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

So this deck is more about the Exalted bonus than Emeria, The Sky Ruin?
If you aren't looking to take advantage of Emeria, The Sky Ruin why not build this deck in Bant colours?

The objective is o use exalted and if that fails, use Emeria, The Sky Ruin to be able to play miderange, since exalted creatures tend to be weak in the long run. The idea is to recover them with Emeria, to keep my opponent under pressure. That' why I want to use them both, do you think the deck would suffer for having both, since I'm using creatures with low converted mana costs?  

You have no way of getting it into your graveyard (save drawing it) - it's too unreliable. I would focus on a weenie strategy.

That's the idea, using weenie creatures and having Scion as backup plan, in case my weenie-exalted strategy fails.
Don't forget that Scion does have Cycling, I can discard it to the graveyard, draw a card and then put it into the battlefield using Emeria. 
I wanted to use a white creature instead, but to use cycling and the Emeria for a miderange creature, Scion seems the best, since it have trample and can boost my forces with enemy fallen creatures. Do you know any alternative, that I can use to replace it?  

Fair enough.

Well, it's my fault ... my friends hated my Darksteel Myr's ...
Another advantage of this card is that I can let any enemy fatty attack me and then bounce it's damage back, avoiding losing creatures and maybe destroying some obnoxious creature.

It's good alongside Emeria, The Sky Ruin - I'd remove both or none.

Ok, I will keep them 

I wouldn't - you need the Evasion it grants.

You're right, they are great to use in exalted form ... and they have protection from red or black ... 
If you insist on running Emeria, why not use big, in-colour threats? Iona, Shield of Emeria for example. Just recurring weenies that've died during combat seems a waste.

Hell, even Martyr of Sands would be good with it.
Sign In to post comments