Is mana weaving illegeal?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all just a quick question is mana weaving illegeal after you have played a best 2 out of 3 match even if I shuffle afterwards and before my next match and offer the deck up to my opponent to shuffle/cut?
It's not, as long as you use other shuffling methods in additon to weaving. You need to make sure your deck is suffuciently random, and weaving alone cannot do that.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Yes.  It's so illegal that it's 5-10 in a federal penitentiary.

But seriously, weaving is either cheating or the appearance of cheating.  Just don't do it.
Remember that you get to shuffle the opponets deck if you want to and if he considers pile shuffling a good method I see no reason why you should not as well. Ifind it great fun to just deal out his deck in three piles then stack them on top of each other and hand them back shuffled that way.

I will probably get yelled at again but I just have zero tolerance for people who weave.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Mana weaving is completely legal...in the same way that stacking your deck is completely legal. You can do anything you like with your deck before your match or before shuffling it, and that includes mana weaving. However, you then need to shuffle your deck in a manner sufficient to make anything you have done to it beforehand completely irrelevant. If anything you did with your deck before shuffling it has any impact on what it looks like after the shuffle is complete, then you are stacking your deck. And if it didn't have any impact, then doing it was a complete waste of time.

In short: you can do it, but it's a really, really bad idea, because either you're cheating or it looks like you're cheating.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Ifind it great fun to just deal out his deck in three piles then stack them on top of each other and hand them back shuffled that way.

Don't do that. If you suspect your opponent has insufficiently randomized their deck, call a judge. Doing what you just described here can get you disqualified.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Ifind it great fun to just deal out his deck in three piles then stack them on top of each other and hand them back shuffled that way.

Don't do that. If you suspect your opponent has insufficiently randomized their deck, call a judge. Doing what you just described here can get you disqualified.

Bacause of... ? Is that way of shuffling illegal?

Bacause of... ? Is that way of shuffling illegal?

You suspect your opponent of presenting an insufficiently randomised deck. At that point, he's committed an infraction. If you then take advantage of that knowledge to knowingly return an even less randomized deck, you are cheating.
Rules Advisor. Used to play a lot of old Extended tournaments, now I just play prereleases and casual kitchen-table games with friends. My regular decks, many of which have been evolving for years: Contested Cliffs Beasts Coastal Piracy Hana Kami Spirit recycling Rout Multiplayer control Seizan, Perverter of Truth Commander