As a response to declared attacking creature

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm hoping to clear up once and for all the matter of tapping a target creature as a response to a declared attack from that creature. There are a number of threads and sticky Q&As that I have read on this matter which simply state that it cannot be done (which is what I believe to be correct) however, simply stating that it can't be done lacks due reason and does not stand up in debate. So please put me out of my misery by either providing an explanation that exposes the reason why this is not possible, or guide me to a satisfactory source.

Thanks V.
The act of declaring a creature as an attacker causes that creature to be tapped. There is no gap between declaring the attacker, and tapping it, so players cannot take actions between the two events.

Also, tapping or untapping a creature that has already been declared an attacker or blocker will not remove it from combat, nor prevent it from dealing damage. I will post the relevant rules momentarily.

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

508.1f. The active player taps the chosen creatures. Tapping a creature when it's declared as an attacker isn't a cost; attacking simply causes creatures to become tapped

It should also be noted that it's not until later in the declare attackers step that players receive priority, which is the only time that a player can cast spells unless directed to do so by a spell or ability.

If your opponent wants to tap a creature to prevent it from attacking, he must do so BEFORE the declare attackers step. 

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

Brilliant. Thank you for the reference to the relevant section of the rules and your clear answer.

V.
Note, if you rush to declare your attackers without first informing your opponent you wish to move to the combat phase your opponent is within their rights to back you up to before you declare attackers to perform thir actions.

Cheers
What LoveMonkey is saying is that your opponent is allowed to tap your creatures during your first main phase (or during the begin combat step, which also happens before attackers are declared). Tapping creatures at that time will prevent them from attacking in that turn.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Declaring attackers is a turn based action that happens at the very start of the Declare Attackers step. It doesnt use the stack so cannot be responded to (just like the draw in your draw step, or combat damage being dealt in the combat damage step).

Your opponent can still do things before it (by doing them no later that the Beginning of Combat step) or after it (during the Declare Blockers step at the earliest), but once you start declaring attackers nothing else happens until you have finished, and by then all the creatures you declared as attackers are attackers and are attacking.  

Note that if you rush ahead and skip the Beginning of Combat step, then your opponent can make you back up. This will give them a chance to do things before you declare attackers for real, and can look like a response in the normal sense - but in fact they are simply rewinding the game (just like when you try to illegally cast a spell).

~ Tim   
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
What LoveMonkey is saying is that your opponent is allowed to tap your creatures during your first main phase (or during the begin combat step, which also happens before attackers are declared). Tapping creatures at that time will prevent them from attacking in that turn.

Noted
Sign In to post comments