Beseeching a Patron. Easy or Tough?

I am curious what other DMs are doing with Warlocks regaining their powers. The rules say "When you take a short or a long rest, you must be able to perform a simple rite to contact your patron, beseeching that entity for more power".
 How simple is simple? A single gesture or a minor sacrifice? What if it needs to be done in secret? Will the patron allows be satified or will they actually demand something from the Warlock? Do Faylords, Demons and strange supernatural entities give credit? 
i think it's more like a cleric praying for spells. they just do
I'd rule it as sending the equivellent of a text message to your Patron, "Yo, out of juice need more." Response, empty message with attachment.

Though if I was doing some story heavy session, I would probably have the patron appear before the Warlock player maybe once or twice. Maybe even give them a mission from said patron.

Ant Farm
I'd rule it as sending the equivellent of a text message to your Patron, "Yo, out of juice need more." Response, empty message with attachment.

Though if I was doing some story heavy session, I would probably have the patron appear before the Warlock player maybe once or twice. Maybe even give them a mission from said patron.

Definitely! Roleplaying the pact is a fantastic tool for the DM.  Love it.
My warlock skins and disembowels the slain corpses as his ritual.

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

During a short rest?

It's flavor text.  Nothing more. 
"You get your powers back.  Here's an obligatory narrative, because if we didn't stick one here, you guys would accuse us of being bland and boring."

During a short rest?

It's flavor text.  Nothing more. 
"You get your powers back.  Here's an obligatory narrative, because if we didn't stick one here, you guys would accuse us of being bland and boring."

Yep that's what my player came up with.  He took the necromancer specialty and he treats it like the ancient practice of reading entrails to divine the future..... Except he is speaking to the fey.  

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

Thanks. I wanted to see how varyed things where. The Patron is a wonderful roleplaying tool and is the reason that a large number of players picked the Warlock. I have Patrons be themselves and some of them are not reasonable. (But, all of the players knew "The Job Was Dangerous When They Took It" . The Warlock of Fate has a Patron that is reliable and perredictable. Report in. Tow the line. Do the job. Get the Juice. (But, strange things don't happen often - but When they Do). On the other hand, Blood Spirits, want blood. No blood - no power. This has resulted in the Warlock taking payment for "Services" in other PCs hit points. One of our Warlocks was inspired by Karl Resch's wonderful piece on The Tinket Lord - "Master of Lost Things" and offers barter of items for other items and power or finds the Lost Thngs (and in one case - when he had nothing else - offered to "Get Lost" - the rest of the party does know about that detail yet). There was only been one situation so far when a Warlock didn't get their power back during a short rest. And that was because the Necromancer didn't want to disembowel a corpse in front of potenital allies. This could be a good control of power tool, but it has been needed yet. The Patron has been a great source of roleplaying and has made characters much more interesting to play and connect to adventures. Even when the character had to actually pay something so much more was gained in the game by all of the players.
Sign In to post comments