[RTR-ICD] Grim Roustabout

120 posts / 0 new
Last post
Grim Roustabout 1b
Creature- Skeleton Warrior (C)
Unleash You may have this creature enter the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it. It can't block as long as it has a +1/+1 counter on it.
1b: Regenerate Grim Rousabout.
1/1

thanks to mtgs. 

Strong entry into the YMTC forum's "narrowest mechanic" competition.
A lame mechanic for Rakdos, it seems.

Seriously?

L1 Judge

poor Rakdos
proud member of the 2011 community team
Well that's underwhelming.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

can he block if he has a +1/+1 counter from a non-unleash origination?
Probably plays better than it looks.

I'm guessing no, actually.

No.  If he has a +1/+1 counter, he can't block.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Hopefully they can take this mechanic to some interesting levels, such being able to remove the +1/+1 counter for a good effect and allow your creature to block again. If there are some good cards that remove +1/+1 counters for profit, then we could see a Jund deck utilizing Blessings of Nature and the like.
Hopefully they can take this mechanic to some interesting levels, such being able to remove the +1/+1 counter for a good effect and allow your creature to block again. If there are some good cards that remove +1/+1 counters for profit, then we could see a Jund deck utilizing Blessings of Nature and the like.

1/1s for 1 are modestly interesting with this.

but yeah, 1R for a

Unleash
Remove a +1/+1 counter: deal 2 damage to target creature or player
2/2 

would be neat. 

I have a dumb question how dose this play well with hellbent cards? It doesn't blend well other than being very agro
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
I like the card; it's a great aggressive option that you have the option to cast as Drudge Skeletons when you're behind.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

I have a dumb question how does this play well with hellbent cards? It doesn't blend well other than being very agro

The goal was never to have the two mechanics work together.  The goal was to have cards from the same guild play like they belonged in that guild.  This mechanic pushes aggressive strategies just like hellbent pushed top-decking aggressiveness.

Well I like the art! Interesting theme for Rakdos however. We better be getting some sick clowns is all I'm saying.
Golgari can stop Rakdos from blocking :D
I like the whole suicidal vibe I'm getting from this mechanic. I expect nothing less from Rakdos.

I wonder what a rare with this mechanic would look like.
Well I like the art! Interesting theme for Rakdos however. We better be getting some sick clowns is all I'm saying.

I don't know how I feel about them hard-lining the Rakdos "Carrion Carnival" theme. 

This is a mechanic I can see coming into its own if the next block uses -1/-1 counters to allow for some turning on and off fun. As it is? I'm reserving judgement until I've seen more cards...
The mechanic is pretty narrow, but it allows for some powerful cards, although this isn't one of them. I expect cards like this though:

Unleashed Haster
Creature
Haste, unleash
2/2

Juzam Unleashed
Creature
Unleash
4/4
this mechanic is Rakdos, so it will only be in
Oops that was supposed to be . I'm on my phone so I'll just fix it later.
.... Unleash doesn't fit Rakdos' flavor. It's Gruul through and through.

I am disappoint.

GW

Cookie Count: 1 million + 1039 Wooden Spoon Count: 2 YMtC Trophies 1st: 9 2nd: 11 3rd: 13 4th: 4 I lost >6000 posts during the last forum migration. #14000th post at 05/11/09 #15000th post at 22/02/10 #16000th post at 10/06/10 #17000th post at 27/10/10 #18000th post at 27/04/11 #19000th post at 24/08/11 #20000th post at 21/04/12 #21000th post at 21/01/13
It's not too bad.. sort of bloodthrist with no damage needed.  Rakdos just got aggro on us.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Hm, not the most exciting mechanic on first glance, but I'll wait and see what it's like to actually play with it. And hopefully we'll get some cards that interact with it in cool ways.

Hellbent was pretty difficult to use, so unleash will at least matter more often. 

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

A 2/2 regenerator for 2  isn't bad if given some tools to get offensive (equipment) with. The possibility to make it a 1/1 regenerating shield isn't bad either. The mechanic is optional, and gives potential. A 2/2 with haste and this could be powerful at two/three mana. 

So far the new guild Mechnics are 2/2 impressing me. Overload and Populate both seem fun and strong. Scavenge and unleash are kind of disappointing, but havge potential if put on actually strong aggro creatures.

Looking foreward to Azorious. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c8316b3bd9938ec0266b27a0cd8d77e8.jpg?v=90000) Thanks to Blitzschnell for the banner IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/2/23/Phyrexian_Loyalty.png) Thanks to gamma-mage for the banner. You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Come see the Expanded Multiverse Project
.... Unleash doesn't fit Rakdos' flavor. It's Gruul through and through.

I am disappoint.

i wouldn't say that this is out of rakdos territory, but i would agree that it could just as easily be gruul.  and i'd agree that having a mechanic that could just as easily have gone to a different guild is kind of disappointing.

I have a dumb question how does this play well with hellbent cards? It doesn't blend well other than being very agro

The goal was never to have the two mechanics work together.  The goal was to have cards from the same guild play like they belonged in that guild.  This mechanic pushes aggressive strategies just like hellbent pushed top-decking aggressiveness.

I wasn't say it had to do with discard it suppose to "play well with other" by others i mean things that where from the first Rav block. Sure I make you want to play faster but than wasn't what the guild was all about.
I am Red/Black
I am Red/Black
I am both selfish and chaotic. I value self-gratification and control; I want to have things my way, preferably now. At best, I'm entertaining and surprising; at worst, I'm hedonistic and violent.
Finally a mechanic that could lead to really interesting choices in limited!
Finally a mechanic that could lead to really interesting choices in limited!

I think that's the biggest hidden complexity about this mechanic, the fact that it allows you to make a choice. It's funny that the crazy carnival cult got a mechanic that makes you really have to think about what you want. It's a small difference, but it definitely matters. I can see a lot of gamestates happening we're people will be like, "Damn, I really shouldn't have unleashed that guy," or vice versa.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

I hope for one or two cheap goblins at least.
It's an okay-ish mechanic for undercosted creatures, hope they make some more interesting interactions with this mechanic in higher rarities though.
At first glance, I'm disappointed, as it doesn't seem very exciting. Of course, we have yet to see what else Rakdos has in store, and I'm sure it will prove nifty somewhere down the line, so I'll withhold judgment until then.
My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
It'll be interesting to see if cards of a higher rarity will reward you for putting a +1/+1 counter on it. For example if this creature entered the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter then do some action.
It'll be interesting to see if cards of a higher rarity will reward you for putting a +1/+1 counter on it. For example if this creature entered the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter then do some action.

That is what I was thinking. Someone mentioned if something with unleash was able to utalize removing the counter. I could see something like,

"remove +1/+1 counter ~ is unblockable until EOT""  
I actually think it would be more interesting if it was just a bonus for having the counter. Having a built-in way to remove the counter takes away too much of the risk.

Removing a +1/+1 counter from a creature with unleash flavourwise doesn't seem to fit the Rakdos as they like being chaotic and impulsive and don't care about the consequences. Being able to remove a +1/+1 counter seems to imply that the Rakdos are thinking about their actions or at least the consequences of their actions.
Wow, this mechanic sucks.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Removing a +1/+1 counter from a creature with unleash flavourwise doesn't seem to fit the Rakdos as they like being chaotic and impulsive and don't care about the consequences. Being able to remove a +1/+1 counter seems to imply that the Rakdos are thinking about their actions or at least the consequences of their actions.

Ok then how about another line of text that says, "as long as ~ has a +1/+1 counter it has intimidate"

Ok then how about another line of text that says, "as long as ~ has a +1/+1 counter it has intimidate"

I was thinking of something along those lines as well as it rewards you for choosing to unleash the creature. 

I was thinking of something along those lines as well as it rewards you for choosing to unleash the creature. 

Yeah, it also allows for more swingy effects. This would help especially with big creatures, where getting an extra +1/+1 is really not exciting.

I don't mind the ability, I just think they made it real narrow by having to be a +1/+1. Why couldn't it have been "Unleash 1" Then they could have done TONS of exciting things with this mechanic. This seems like an instance they really could have done it.

The ability would stack the way it is worded except we can't stack it because we're talking about summoning of a creature which you can't do multiple times in one instances. (Talking about how exalted works)
Sign In to post comments