My First Mono Black Commander Deck

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
my first commander deck is monoblack and uses sheoldred as general
you have very nice cards compared to mine
which makes me all the more surprised to see lilianas shade in your deck. (i really like the card in duels 2013, but outside of that its hard to find a use)

why public execution but not murder, or go for the throat

i should try running leyline of the void, fleshwrither

vampire nocturnus - this doesnt seem good for this deck/format 
mortivore - no evasion or trample.. wouldnt that be a huge problem? i ran copperhoof vorrac in g/w and it did nothing, though an opponent took control of it and sacrificed it to greater good. :<

falkenrath noble - why not blood artist

dreadnought - this is meant to be used with disciple of bolas, correct?  
Some of these cards are still just filling spaces until I can fine tune the deck.

Liliana's Shade is something for me to get out quickly, which will help me get more Swamps in play and can pump up to block.

I went with Public Execution as it could, in theory, effect more creatures later in the game than Murder can.  I had a hard time convincing myself about taking Murder out.

Don't think Leyline of the Void and Fleshwrither would work too well, as Fleshwrither can Transmute for another creature card.  Leyline's in there to work with Helm of Obedience.

Nocturnus is in there, 'cause there are a few Vampires to get pumped, but again, more than willing to listen to suggestions, and he doesn't need to stay (especially if I can find me a Contamination).

Dreadnought's there for the fun 1 mana brute, but rather than to work with Bolas, more so Torpor Orb (same with if I somehow pull Phage the Untouchable out of my graveyard by mistake).

So far I like this deck, but I am only 1 of 2 mono colour players in our Casual Group, which has between 5 - 10 people any given time, so I'm just looking to make this deck meaner.
ah i knew fleshwrither doesnt transfigure into leyline. i just meant the card on its own. my deck has Graveborn Muse i could transfigure into. i was gonna check what else my deck has as Transfigure. probably not much in which case i might not use fleshwrither after all. likewise leyline i like because i hardly run graveyard removal and mimeoplasm is an issue.

if you run public, maybe add murder and go for throat for redundancy.
otherwise run Darkness for redundancy. mayb. :p

on nocturnus
commander decksrun few creatures, plus the pump will be useless.
even death pit offering seems better, but again whats the point of givingyourcreatures +2+2.. it wont matter. 

i actually have some of thecards in your deck but took them out of mine
-- painful quandary - it felt like the worse a deck is the more thiscard would hurt them, whereas good decks would hardly be affected at all. 
-- exquisite blood- i find lifegain really boring
-- exanguinate - i also find life loss boring. for every turn this is in your hand, chances will not kill anyone if you cast it, in which case its just a life gain card.
--rise from the grave.
--strat scythe

cards i do run that you dont which i might recommend:
hunted horror
wit's end
dark impostor
no mercy
night of souls' betrayal 
staff of nin (and minds eye, urzas blueprints, promise of power)
life's finale (i.e. mass removal in general) 
more that i might have missed (hard to do this without my decklist in front of me) 
Vampire Nocturnus isn't going to get a lot of mileage considering you have so few vampires, so either put a little more help for him, or pull him.  Mephidross Vampire is his BFF, by the way.

If you're seriously thinking about Contamination I would throw a Breeding Pit or the like in, just for more token dork generation.  You don't want to be sacrificing big beef to keep your enchantment alive.
i wanted to added triskelion and mephidross vampire to my deck so i cando thecombo andfulfill my dreams
Nocturnus will probably be making a quick exit.  Just have the one from the Promo Pack from DotP 13 for PS3, but not that attached to him.  I'm liking the idea of Breeding Pit...a lot....thanks
i wanted to added triskelion and mephidross vampire to my deck so i cando thecombo andfulfill my dreams

I had a deck with two of both of them, G/B mana ramp, and two Tooth and Nail just to pump them both out.  Really a fun deck build.

I had a deck with two of both of them, G/B mana ramp, and two Tooth and Nail just to pump them both out.  Really a fun deck build.

Its commander so I can have only one of each.. and my deck is monoblack so I cant have Tooth and Nail... I hope the combo is still worth including. I should probably get around to attaining a copy of Beseech the Queen if I do this so I can have have tutors needed.
Ideally I would not tutor for the combo unless I draw into either the Trisk or the Mephidross, then I just tutor for the other piece.
Also the 6 mana transmute card, Netherborn Phalanx. Which, come to think of it, should be in my deck anyway. How did I overlook it but not the other transmute cards...
Vesuva, Deserted Temple. 'Cause who doesn't like 3 coffers.
I would add Mutilate to your deck
Vampire Nocturnus and Mephidross Vampire do not interact with each other. So, why are they BFF?
Mutilate...forgot about that one!  Thanks Inuse!!

Picked up From the Vault Realms yesterday, so Boseiju, Who Shelters All, Ancient Tomb, Vesuva, Maze of Ith, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, High Market, Forbidden Orchard, and Desert are entering the deck 
Vampire Nocturnus and Mephidross Vampire do not interact with each other. So, why are they BFF?

Mephidross makes all your creatures vampires so that Nocturnus pumps them.

Its commander so I can have only one of each.. and my deck is monoblack so I cant have Tooth and Nail... I hope the combo is still worth including. I should probably get around to attaining a copy of Beseech the Queen if I do this so I can have have tutors needed.
Ideally I would not tutor for the combo unless I draw into either the Trisk or the Mephidross, then I just tutor for the other piece.
Also the 6 mana transmute card, Netherborn Phalanx. Which, come to think of it, should be in my deck anyway. How did I overlook it but not the other transmute cards...

That deck wasn't a commander deck.  But I'm thinking about remaking that combo in a Jarad deck once the duel deck hits the shelves.