New to D&D; Rogue Schemes

Hey, I'm new to D&D. I was invited by my friend to join the Playtest. I am very confused by the Rogue's Rogue Scheme. How does it work?

From my understanding. I end up getting two Backgrounds; both cannot have the same name(so 2 different kinds of the ones offered). I get the my inital Background at Character Creation with the Skills, Trait and Suggested Equipmant. And once I get Rogue Scheme I get the 2nd one. But do I also get the Skills, Trait and Suggested Equipmant of the 2nd Trait?(assuming I'm already getting the level up features with the 2nd choice). Do I also get the Level up features of the 1st choice aswell?
What do you mean by level up features?

You do get both backgrounds complete with equipment. If any skills from the two backgrounds are the same you then get to pick a different skill from any background.

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

You end up with both traits from both backgrounds, and the sum of their skills, which means choosing new skills if there's overlap.
For example, if (as onne of my players) you take Bounty Hunter as your background and Thug a your scheme (which also gives the Thug background), you have two skills overlaps (Intimidate and Streetwise). So you choose two unrelated skills in addition to the combined 4 singular skills of the two backgrounds. You can choose these skills from the list of skills after the list of backgrounds.

The "level-up" of backgrounds (which is not exactly of backgrounds but singular skills) is improving the bonus of one of your trained skills by 1 at each even level. So with a Rogue you simply have more trained skills, thus also having more choices on which skills to improve at 2nd and 4th level.
If you refer to the level-up features of the Scheme, well you only get one scheme, so there's no choice, you level up in that.

I'm not sure about getting the equipment of both backgrounds at all though. The Character Creation rules for choosing equipment are a bit ambiguous in this matter, but since they state you either choose the suggested equipment or spend 150 gp on single items, and since suggested equipment packages seem to be worth 150 roughly, I'd say only one equipment package is allowed. Of course, you could use the spare gold given by a suggested package to buy most of the items of another suggested package. You should manage to get both your class' and (one) of your background's item packages this way, but I doubt you'll also afford the items from the second background.

Another confirmation that the Background doesnt automatically give you the equipment is that the Character Creation rules for choosing backgrounds only state that you gain the Trait and the Skills. The equiment is only a suggestion: if you like it take it, but consider that you'd also need the suggested equipment of your class.

Join the Zendikar D&D Campaign Setting group: discover the fantastic world and contribute to make Zendikar a playable setting!
   - Warning! Spectacular visuals and lore ahead! ... Take a look...
Play-by-Post and my D&D blogging!

*All my latest rolls!*

Campaigns and Characters:
Zendikar: Covenant of The Forgotten Relics
- Cylonea: Merfolk (Elemental Priest) Shaman(World Speaker)/Artificer --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff
- Vurokk Dahvre: Shade (Escaped Slave) Blackguard of Fury --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)
Nature's Allies
- Carwyn Sihderfein: Half-Elf (Tuathan) Blackguard of Domination / Binder of Gloom --> Sheet, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)

I think the rogue class already gives you more than 150gp of equipment.  I say assume rogues get all the equipment and test it out to see if it feels overbalanced.
Thank you LordArchaon, seems to make a little more sense. So I will only be getting the Scheme Features of the background choosen through Scheme and not both?
I can see why there is a disconnect with the Rogue.  Some of the rules don't seem clear when you compare the rules as written (RAW) on the Background and Class PDFs with the pre-gen Rogue PDF that were released.

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

Thank you LordArchaon, seems to make a little more sense. So I will only be getting the Scheme Features of the background choosen through Scheme and not both?

There are only two schems, Thief and Thug: the only case in which there could be confusion is if you want to select your Regular background as Thief, for example, and then select the Thug Scheme. But even in that case, you simply select only 1 Scheme. In all the other cases, where you select a Background such as Magic User or Sage or anything, well there are no Sage or Magic User Schemes for the Rogue, so how could you end up with two Schemes? ;)
Only one scheme. Then one Background of choice (your regular Background), and the Background associated with your Scheme (either Thug or Thief, your choice, which determines your level-up abilities).

About Equipment: I rapidly calculated the value of the suggested Equipment for Rogue and it is exactly 150. The Backgrounds instead are worth much less, especially Thug. So as a rule of thumb, I'd concede all the equipment, but taking out the extra money from the Rogue one which is too much (96 gp), and taking instead the extra money from only one of the Bacgkrounds, the one which has less. But yes, the items of all Backgrounds and Class are ok, even when summed up. So I correct myself, all the possible suggested equipment for the Rogue!

Join the Zendikar D&D Campaign Setting group: discover the fantastic world and contribute to make Zendikar a playable setting!
   - Warning! Spectacular visuals and lore ahead! ... Take a look...
Play-by-Post and my D&D blogging!

*All my latest rolls!*

Campaigns and Characters:
Zendikar: Covenant of The Forgotten Relics
- Cylonea: Merfolk (Elemental Priest) Shaman(World Speaker)/Artificer --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff
- Vurokk Dahvre: Shade (Escaped Slave) Blackguard of Fury --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)
Nature's Allies
- Carwyn Sihderfein: Half-Elf (Tuathan) Blackguard of Domination / Binder of Gloom --> Sheet, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)

Sign In to post comments