Looking for ways to strip resistances out

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Basically, what the title said. It has come to my attention that Blackstone Guardian's E11 can petrify, no save, no caveats, once per encounter for 2 PP. Since this is exceedingly powerful, I'm looking for ways to optimize around it. Anyone know of a reliable per-encounter way of eliminating resist all?
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Just making sure you know it until the end of your next turn that the petrify condition lasts. If that was what you meant then so be it and lets resume your OP?
MC Paladin and grab Paladin's Truth: When you attack a creature marked by you, you ignore that creature’s resistances and immunities.

Warlock has a D1, The Lash's Bite that also strips resistances. You can turn that daily into an encounter power one way or another. 

Edit: Or be a Tiefling and take Wizard's Wrath. 
Hmm...Paladin's Truth has promise. The ideal thing would be finding a way that allows allies to capitalize on it - basically use the power as a Leadery setup trick to eliminate a solo/elite/whatever per encounter with ease. Failing that though, I'll happily take a ridiculously good Striker power anyway. :P
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
I was gonna ask why you'd spend time optimizing around a roundabout stun til ENT, but then I just realized a petrified target is unconscious. Dude, this is Knockout Blow, the encounter power.
And now you see why I want to strap it on a Leader and let 'er rip.
Maybe a more offensive version of Sainted Justice would fit?
And now you see why I want to strap it on a Leader and let 'er rip.

Would a Tiefling Lazylord|Infernalock be a good option for this set up? Use Lash's Bite on turn 1 then AP into your best action enabeler and let your Super Friends decimate the opposition.
Strike that. I just reread the Blackstone Guardian PP and it is for Battlemind's. This seems like a terrible waste of your multi class but if your just OPing around one Power i would guess not a terrible loss.

What Leader would Hybrid with the Battlemind best? 

The answer is still unconditionally the Warlord no matter what hybrid you're talking about (also: Warmaster ED for its U26), but you can make a strong argument for Artificer (CDG with Prismatic Strike?), Shaman, or BCL Cleric. The issue is that the one power that I can think of that provides unconditional resistance-stripping exists only on the Warlock, and that tends to be mutually exclusive with Paladin and any leader class, so you're left choosing between a massive personal nova or making all your allies awesome.

Unless you play your (Tiefling) Warlock|Paladin as a pseudo-leader, which...well, I don't see a problem there, really.

The answer is still unconditionally the Warlord no matter what hybrid you're talking about (also: Warmaster ED for its U26), but you can make a strong argument for Artificer (CDG with Prismatic Strike?), Shaman, or BCL Cleric. The issue is that the one power that I can think of that provides unconditional resistance-stripping exists only on the Warlock, and that tends to be mutually exclusive with Paladin and any leader class, so you're left choosing between a massive personal nova or making all your allies awesome.

Unless you play your (Tiefling) Warlock|Paladin as a pseudo-leader, which...well, I don't see a problem there, really.

Now I really wanna make a build out of this. The power really is good enough to justify it.
Too bad you can't take advantage of glasstrike.  It is a petrify where first failed save removes the resist the target has.

Now I really wanna make a build out of this. The power really is good enough to justify it.

And... even if you were to sacrifice your MC to the Battlemind the rest of the Paragon Path isn't aweful. You even get another petrify power at 20 and a minor sustainable resist 10 all at 12. You give up most of the features but i would think you could live with this.

Pretty much, yeah. We always take Morninglord for its stupid overpowered features. Who says you can't take Blackstone Guardian for its stupidly overpowered powers, instead? Especially since power renewal can be pretty cheap to boot.
And if there was a way to switch immobilize to something else, the L16 feature could be interesting as well.  Especially if you can combine it with mass marking.
Honestly, I would build this out as a Int/Con version of a Warlock|Warlord leadstriker. From the leader's perspective, it is not entirely necessary to figure out a way to strip resistance, but as equally acceptable to just find encounter-based sources of damage boosts strong enough to overcome or almost overcome the resistance. A standard package of Hand of Blight + Balican Praetor + Sword of Hestavar, for example, provides about a +14 damage boost for your allies, and if you're handing out free crits at -6 damage, your friends are still gonna be all over that crap.

Side note: since you're basically setting up your own CDG with this, you'll want Epic Resurgence just so you can recycle this power again. And maybe even Planeshaper ED just so you can do it a third time. 
Power points become something of an issue for this set up though. You need to find a way to get enough for the augment 2 and to get you through the work day.
MC via Awakened Potential and the Noble Adept theme only nets you 2 useable once per day so you need to find ways to gain more.

EDIT: My thinking was to go str 8/10, con 15+2, dex 10/8, int 17, wis 10, chr 13+2 with your 4th and 8th stat bumps going into con and int. Noble Adept theme, which has some OK leadery type powers which could net you some extr power points, and Awakened Potential MC( Battlemind).
Awakened Potential only refreshes on extended rests IIRC, so you need one more PP from elsewhere...

...Oh, wait. The PP itself gives 2 PP, right? If so there is absolutely no point in sacrificing your theme.
Not hijacking your idea but i started a pretty crappy build for all to improve upon. Needs some feat tweaks, power choices and items but maybe could be a place for you to start. It feels nice to be able to contribute once and a while.
Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Hybrid, level 12
Tiefling, Warlock/Warlord, Blackstone Guardian
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Sorcerer-King Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Will
Warlord Leadership Option: Combat Leader (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlord Option: Hybrid Warlord Fortitude
Twofold Pact Option: Infernal Pact
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Rod)
Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Noble Adept

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 9, CON 20, DEX 11, INT 20, WIS 11, CHA 16

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 8, CON 15, DEX 10, INT 17, WIS 10, CHA 13

AC: 21 Fort: 22 Ref: 21 Will: 23
HP: 87 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +16, Diplomacy +16, Insight +11

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Athletics +5, Bluff +11, Dungeoneering +6, Endurance +11, Heal +6, History +11, Intimidate +9, Nature +6, Perception +6, Religion +11, Stealth +8, Streetwise +9, Thievery +6

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Noble Adept Feature: Adept's Insight
Tiefling Racial Power: Infernal Wrath
Warlock's Curse Power: Warlock's Curse
Warlord Feature: Inspiring Word
Warlord Attack 1: Direct the Strike
Warlock Attack 1: Hand of Blight
Warlock Attack 1: The Lash's Bite
Warlock Attack 1: Hellish Rebuke
Warlock Pact Boon 1: Dark One's Blessing
Blackstone Guardian Attack 11: Blackstone Curse
Blackstone Guardian Utility 12: Monolithic Blessing

FEATS
Level 1: Versatile Expertise
Level 2: Mindbite Scorn
Level 4: Balican Praetor
Level 6: Sword of Hestavar
Level 8: Superior Will
Level 10: Awakened Potential (Battlemind)
Level 11: Twofold Pact

ITEMS

====== End ======

I know this isn't great.
edit: By taking the Noble Adept theme we have 10 pp and without we are only down by 1 so a better all aound theme may be better. Noble adept has some nice powers which i believe would net us extra pp so that is an option.
Water Splitting Stone lets you remove the resistance when you crit with monk unarmed strike (which can be picked up via an MC feat). Since you're generating crits already...
Awakened Potential only refreshes on extended rests IIRC, so you need one more PP from elsewhere...

...Oh, wait. The PP itself gives 2 PP, right? If so there is absolutely no point in sacrificing your theme.

If you are looking for more PP and you decide to snag sorcerer-king pact you could take psionic scorn and get a PP instead of regaining your fell might.
Water Splitting Stone lets you remove the resistance when you crit with monk unarmed strike (which can be picked up via an MC feat). Since you're generating crits already...

Hmm...I wonder. Can you get a minor action attack with monk unarmed strike that will crit? If so, that's just what we need.
You'd probably wanna do it with Sohei (you just need a hand free for MUS, and make attacks via ki focus).

EDIT: By the way, if you want to break the hell out of this in the long run, Battlemind|Warlord/Blackstone Guardian/Legendary Sovereign.

Blackstone Curse, AP Hail of Steel, triggers Great Captain. Make BC your Sword of Kings power for more silliness.

EDIT 2: Gah, I forgot that only standard actions can CDG. Hmph. Then you either AP with Water Splitting Stone, or put WSS on an ally instead.

EDIT 3: Wyrmtooth Dagger is even easier, don't need to use up the MC.
Invert Resistance, Sorcerer U10 might work.

And if it does, I'd imagine Vile Undoing would also work and make the target vulnerable 20 all.  (Ouch.)

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
I still can't get over how awesome this is. On a basic Battlemind|Paladin chassis, you could just follow this up with a CDG Brutal Barrage using a Rending Greataxe for some stupid amounts of damage. Although personally, I'd just run the lite version with a Vicious Weapon just to be able to say "I roll 36d12 damage".
Oooooh, Wymtooth Dagger probably does the trick. You just need to get an accomplice who will keep one around as a backup. I think we've got a silly good trick, ladies and gentlemen.
Is there any way to enhance (grant an enhancement bonus to) your monk's unarmed strike barring DSCS flavor inherent bonuses as a substitute for a normal magical implement?  Since a monk can use weapons they are proficient with as implements, your unarmed strike can serve as your implement.

Would the Unseelie Agent Theme work?  (Create shadow-wrought "fist" weapon that happens to be your monk unarmed strike).  Augmenting Whetstone works, but is a consumable (Uncommon) and requires minor action to activate.

Basilisk's Fury Adept PP has one of the nicest crit effects in the game -- petrified (save ends) -- and used in conjunction with Water Splitting Stone, the target becomes unconscious (save ends) without any resist until your EoNT.  But this feature only works with monk or basilisk's fury adept attack powers, which are all implement-based.

Party Op to crit enable such a character could pay off heaping dividends...
Ki Focus your Fist.
Ki Focus your Fist.

That only works for weapon attacks, as I understand it.

Ki Focus your Fist.

"My body IS a weapon."
Ki Focus your Fist.

"My body IS a weapon."

Put another way, you can only ki focus your monk unarmed strike when making attack powers with the weapon keyword.  Unfortunately, no monk attack power has the weapon keyword for the purpose of Basilisk's Fury Adept level 16 feature (and Water Splitting Stone combo)...

Sign In to post comments