Beastal options to come?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Couldn't think of a sniffy title. But was wondering if there woudl be a beast race. We got bullywugs and Heigogekia <- about as clsoe as it gets with them being fey beasts and all.

But was thinking of a few options. To expand on it of course. Like dinosaurs. Dragon born are close, and yeah there are druids as an option. But perhaps a custom race option. If we have a character image we can use. Like anthros really. If I wanted to pull from a few options such as being a buff fox with the power of a charisma loaded paladin or better a bard. Well he could get the ladies. Or even pull off a cloud and wear a dress to be put on a wooden pole to lure out a dragon. Then after sneak up and kill his team mates in their sleep.

Or if I wanted to be a griffin. Perhaps pull the mounted coordination thing in reverse. Something to discuss over coffee really.

And while at it. I should ask a question as well. 
I have a sentinal druid/shaman. Now theres a few choices, but being able to summon up an entire army each day. Now how are their stats and damage? Health I think is half of mine.(so they are pretty screwed) Yet right now it looks as if I would summon them and they get their own turn. Which later on, gets hectic when you get the desire to have druid companion, spirit companion, and about 5 summoned companions. Then you have the other people around the table who can't reach the target without being on somethings shoulders.

How do having a lot of summons work out when they are all up? Just easier to let them use instinct actions so you can keep people alive? While they are fun. having multiple lowers their potential since there isn't a mass 'on my mark' ability where all your summoned allies would attack. Which admittingly. That would be a neat daily. And with several things. you would be bound to kill something.

And I would like a race option that would allow for more variations. Some of them seem like their stuck with a few classes they can be and thats it. Optimally of course. A tiefling fighter doesn't work so well when you start off. Nor a ranged dragonborn cleric. A dragonborn battle cleric is a little different though. Yet again. some of the new ones I have seen. They don't have much going on in terms of options. In example. Kenku. 
The simple answer is to reflavor an extant race so that it looks like you want it to.  Since a race's appearance is essentially just flavor, change it to look like whatever you want to.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Pretty much what Salla said. And if you want to be a beast. As in, four legs, no human form, no speech. Play a Sentinel/Beastmaster/Fey Beast Tamer. Say the companion is you and the character is your Translator/Butler/Best Friend/Whatever.
I third what Salla said.

Reptilian races: Reflavor the Dragonborn or Kobold
Feral races: Reflavor the Shifter or Bugbear
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
The game stats for a 1/2 orc easilly work for a wild boar.

A PHB2 druid could be played as never taking huminoid form. For the playing as an animal instead of an animalman was your intent.
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.

But was thinking of a few options. To expand on it of course. Like dinosaurs. Dragon born are close, and yeah there are druids as an option. But perhaps a custom race option. If we have a character image we can use. Like anthros really. If I wanted to pull from a few options such as being a buff fox with the power of a charisma loaded paladin or better a bard.

As everyone else has said, reflavoring is the simplest and most expediant solution.  Anthro races generally would vary that much from other races in neither mechanics or culture.  So coming up with unique racial entries would be redundant most cases.  Case in point, the fox anthro in your example isn't doing anything that another race cannot already do.

However, if you want the unique quirks of a race represented mechanically, you could always try your hand at homebrewing.  I've got reverse-mount dinos, artic psychic cats, cattle-punk rats, and trickster rabbits with strong bardic traditions, just to name a few that are sitting in my homebrew folder.  And all are distinctly unique from other races.

How do having a lot of summons work out when they are all up?

Generally, the most you try to do is to have a "wall of fur" to serve as terrain control and to act as a way to effectively be in multiple places at once.  The 4e summon rules purposely written as they are to prevent army summoning abuse.

Usually, if you want to play army commander, you go with a Warlord and enable your party.  They even have attacks that allow the whole party to attack as well.

And I would like a race option that would allow for more variations. Some of them seem like their stuck with a few classes they can be and thats it. Optimally of course. A tiefling fighter doesn't work so well when you start off. Nor a ranged dragonborn cleric. A dragonborn battle cleric is a little different though. Yet again. some of the new ones I have seen. They don't have much going on in terms of options. In example. Kenku. 

Tiefling fighters and ranged dragonborn clerics work just fine.  A race does not need a optimal stat setup to work.  You're just limiting your own options.  But if optimal stats are a huge sticking point for you, you could always houserule the races to have different stat setups.  No need for all new races.

And while it is true that some of the newer races haven't recieved much racial support, its usually not that big of an issue.  Between all the hundreds of generic options available to any characters, racial options have a hard time competing anyway.
Thinking about creating a race for 4e? Make things a lil' easier on yourself by reading my Race Mechanic Creation Guide first.
Sign In to post comments