Ochre Jelly Encounters Snafu

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

Last night at Encounters at my shop we fought an Ochre Jelly.  The Ochre jelly split in two.

One of the characters played a card afterwards on his turn that said "all bloodied creatures gain 5 temp HP's"
The DM tried to give the HP's to the Ochre Jelly reasoning that it was still the original  Ochre jelly and still officially "bloodied"
The players argued this point and the DM said fine we will treat them as two, brand new seperate creatures.

Now the fun part, before the Ochre Jelly split one of the party memebers was playing an Avenger (yes I know not an Essentials char yada yada) and he had used his oath of Enmity power on the Ochre Jelly.

After the Ochre Jellies had perished (the split ones) he tried using his oath of Enmity again and the DM said NO ruling that since the Ochre Jelly had split into two seperate Ochre Jellies the ORIGINAL Ochre Jelly had never reached 0 HP's therefore not triggering Oath of Enmity being available again.

My thoughts are as follows:

1) It says the Ochre Jelly splits into two creatures, all effects fall off, and it's remaining hit points are split between the 2 - basically saying that it's still the ORIGINAL Ochre Jelly.  Technically it is no longer bloodied as it's remaining HP's are divided between them.  No HP's for the Ochre Jelly.

2) By this logic the Ochre Jelly is still the Ochre Jelly albeit in two parts.  When both die, it is reduced to 0 HP's thus triggering the Oath of Enmity.

The DM's logic was it was either the Jelly gain the Temp Hp's and Oath Triggers, or the Jelly doesn't gain the HP's and the oath does not trigger.

I believe both these options are incorrect.         

Thoughts?
Due to the use of "one" instead of "ones" in the effect line describing the split, "Effects on the original ochre jelly do not apply to the second one," one of the splits clearly remains the original.

The original has at most 1/4 of its unsplit starting hp, making it bloodied before and after the split.  It also still has all effects on it, specifically here the OoE.

The second is a new creature with at most 1/4 of the unsplit starting hp, making it unbloodied.  It has no conditions of the pre-split creature affecting it.

The sparse wording of the split effect definitely leaves a little room for interpretation =)

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

Cool, makes sense.  thanks.
glad to add my 2 cents anyway.  easily more than a couple ways for that to get resolved to both player and DM satisfaction.

say, are you the Serenity Games from right around the corner in St. Pete, or is the name just a coincidence?

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

We are indeed THAT Serenity Games!  Small world :D
The second is a new creature with at most 1/4 of the unsplit starting hp, making it unbloodied.

It's a new creature, but it is still an ochre jelly, meaning it has the same bloodied value (and maximum hps in case that becomes relevant - e.g. if it gets healed) as a 'fresh' ochre jelly. So it's definitely bloodied because its current hps are below its bloodied value. The "effects on the original ochre jelly do not apply to the second one" clause won't get rid of the bloodied condition either, because it's a condition, not an effect (effects can include conditions, but they are not interchangeable terms).

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

Right, I was never contesting the 2nd Ochre Jelly losing blooding as a condition, as you said, it states effects.

I was questioning whether or not the Jelly (jellies) was the original Jelly, and I got my answer.  However, I see your point about the 2nd one being bloodied as well.

Thanks for input guys.    
nice store you guys have there.  too far for me to visit regularly, but I like the vibe when I do

I like Duskweaver's answer better, it really is a 2nd ochre jelly with missing hp and not a "brand new creature with identical stats as an ochre jelly except max hp which is 1/4."

Add a leader who can heal for some real fun.

Ochre jelly splits.
Heal the "new" one above bloodied.
The new Orchre jelly can split.

Granted, it needs to be a potent healing (at-will surge+ a bit, or just a high level one), but you can net infinite jellies.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Add a leader who can heal for some real fun.

Ochre jelly splits.
Heal the "new" one above bloodied.
The new Orchre jelly can split.

Granted, it needs to be a potent healing (at-will surge+ a bit, or just a high level one), but you can net infinite jellies.

Un|Fortunately (depending on point of view), Ochre Jelly can only split "when first bloodied". 

The description I read, says that if left alone, they merge back into one.  To me this suggests the two halves are part of the original creature. 

If you split the Jelly in two and halve the remaining hits points, presumably you have to halve the max hit points as well?  Therefore the two halves are still bloodied.  Just not bloodied for the first time.

Personally I would allow any power that triggers on zero hit points to trigger on zero hit points and any power that triggers on the death of the original Jelly to trigger when the last half is destroyed.  But then , as a GM, I am a total softie