Pre-made Adventure - World Agnostic?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello all,

Imagine if you will a group of people, a mix of recent college graduates and college students (4-6ish) from a wide variety of locations, who desire to play DnD together for free (assume this completely hypothetical group already has the core rulebooks).  The potential DM for this group doesn't have the copious amounts of time to create and run an adventure, although he does have a world somewhat fleshed out.

Are there any fantastic (Free? Free!) pre-made adventures for them to use?  Preferably, although not prohibitively, capable of easily being adapted into most random worlds?  Starting level shouldn't really be above 10 for simplicity's sake.

As well, keep in mind that we will be using some type of online tool such as Roll20 (or a better suggested alternative) to play together, so an adventure with lots of digital content is preferable to one with only physical content.

I throw this hypothetical group at the mercy of your collective feet.

Edit: No Keep on the Shadowfell, one player has intimate knowledge of it. 
Unfortunately, most of the "free" adventures for 4e are behind the DDI paywall. But if you were to buy a one month membership, you could download all of them in that month and end up with 130 adventures ranging in level throughout all the tiers (but a little sparse at the Epic levels).

130 adventures for only $10. That's not bad for the price.
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
if youre talking about 4e you can get these free on the wiz site

www.wizards.com/dnd/files/H1.pdf

www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Khybers_Harves...

these are just amazing

slamdancr.com/wp/hardcore-essentials/
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />As well, keep in mind that we will be using some type of online tool such as Roll20 (or a better suggested alternative) to play together, so an adventure with lots of digital content is preferable to one with only physical content.

As my profile might suggest, I am a Maptool evangelist.   I love Maptool because it is both brilliant and free!  If you'd like to use Maptool I will be happy to help get you started, and help with any problems you may have with each session.

Whats map tool? Click here to find out

I can also recommend the H1 link above.  In my opinion its a well put together series of encounters and a great little campaign.  I am currently running the campaign myself.  Click here for Spoiler-filled rundown of the campaign so far.  I've heard nothing but good things from other people that have run the campaign.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />As well, keep in mind that we will be using some type of online tool such as Roll20 (or a better suggested alternative) to play together, so an adventure with lots of digital content is preferable to one with only physical content.

As my profile might suggest, I am a Maptool evangelist.   I love Maptool because it is both brilliant and free!  If you'd like to use Maptool I will be happy to help get you started, and help with any problems you may have with each session.

Whats map tool? Click here to find out

I can also recommend the H1 link above.  In my opinion its a well put together series of encounters and a great little campaign.  I am currently running the campaign myself.  Click here for Spoiler-filled rundown of the campaign so far.  I've heard nothing but good things from other people that have run the campaign.

To be honest I don't see why so many people still use maptools other than for it's stability. There are better free alternatives like Roll20, OpenRPG, and now RPGtable Online. I'm not trying to offend you or anything but Maptools feels extremely outdated. 

Come to 4ENCLAVE for a fan based 4th Edition Community.

To be honest I don't see why so many people still use maptools other than for it's stability. There are better free alternatives like Roll20, OpenRPG, and now RPGtable Online. I'm not trying to offend you or anything but Maptools feels extremely outdated. 

No offense taken.  Everyone has their favourites.  I'd encourage people to check them all out.  I particularly like the Jukebox feature offered by Roll20 and its integration with google hangouts. 

At the Maptool forum you will find a group that's very welcoming of other entrants into the field.  Indeed many Maptool regulars help out those other tools.  However none of them are anywhere near as feature rich as Maptool and have a long way to go to catch up with "Basic" functionality like vision, lighting and fog of war etc etc.  Let alone provide the advance tools for automation and customisation.  Its particularly noticable if you want to play other games besides a particular brand of D&D.

Anyway its always good to look at other options, I will certainly keep be an eye on them.
Yeah when we encountered some networking issues in maptool lately my group suggested I use one of the alternatives. I took a few looks, and the feature differences are pretty noticible for someone who's used to using Maptools.

Luckily my group found a way around the networking issues.  
Connectivity can certainly be a weakness for Maptool.  If the other VTT is hosted then you are not going to have network issues.  With Maptool someone has to host it themselves.  Not a problem if you are used to hosting your own Quake Server or similar, but can be a problem for many people.

Still, if people do have connectivity issues with Maptool, I am happy to try and help
Thanks for the rapid replies!  After looking at some of the options, right now I'm keenest to stick with roll20 if only for its integration into G+ hangouts (we all have G+ accounts).

Also, one of the players has pretty intimate knowledge of Keep on the Shadowfell, is Khyber's Harvest of the same quality?  The players will definitely be of mixed (IRL) experience levels, and only one of us has played anytime recently.