Inform

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm toying with the idea of an information based set. Any of these ideas could be bad for any number of reasons and I'd like to hear why if that's the case.

Forbidden Archives -
Sorcery
Search your library for a card and put it into your hand, then inform. (Reveal a card at random from your hand. Any opponent may discard a card and draw a card. If a player does, you discard the revealed card, then draw a card.)

Searing Inquisition -
Sorcery
Choose a card type, then each player informs. ~ deals 5 damage to each player who revealed a card of the chosen type this way.

Memory Manipulation -
Sorcery
Target opponent puts the cards in his or her hand on top of his or her library. Search that player's library for that many cards. The player puts those cards into his or her hand then shuffles his or her library.
Inform(Yes it's just head games with inform)

Also here are two other weird things while I'm at it:

Mana Inverter -
Artifact
Colored costs can be paid by colorless mana or mana of any color.
Colorless costs of cards can only be paid by mana of one of that card's colors.

Utgarde Stormscape
Land
You may play ~ any time you could play an instant.
When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you discard a card.
: Add to your mana pool. 
Shouldn't the land tap for mana too?

Also, inform seems like quite the drawback as it does both a negativ thing to you and a possitive thing for the opponent. 
How to Autocard
card: [c]cardname[/c]-> [c]Vampire Nighthawk[/c] -> Vampire Nighthawk
Shouldn't the land tap for mana too?

Also, inform seems like quite the drawback as it does both a negativ thing to you and a possitive thing for the opponent. 

This. I'm not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish here. Also, this feels extremely blue to me, based on the name and the interaction of drawing and revealing cards. I'd definetely put blue into pretty much all three of the colored spells. (That's not to say that I don't like the idea, but again, I'm not sure what the goal of the mechanic is.)

Forbidden Archives is essentially just a tutor for , which is probably fine.

Searing Inquisition is interesting, but it's barely a card.

Memory Manipulation uses Inform the best, it feels much fairer than completely ruining your opponent's hand.

I'm sure that the land one was just a typo, you guys.

Anyway, I think this is some interesting design space, flavorwise. It's a little complicated, but it could be interesting on the right cards.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Yeah the land was supposed to tap for 1, I realized Id made a typo right after I posted and spent the next few hours annoyed about it.

@theis999: Inform isn't necessarily supposed to be a good thing for you, I imagined it as a cost or something you do to the other person most of the time. For some reason the first cards I came up with to give an idea of the keyword didn't represent that very well.

@PureCascade: Normally this kind of thing would probably be blue unless it's colorshifted or something, but I want to give every color information-related effects for this set. Scry is a blue effect that was given to all colors in the sets it's been in, maybe that's somewhat comparable?

So yeah. I feel like the potential for a keyword is in there somewhere.
Wizards never makes drawback keywords any more, because having one drawback that's prevalent enough to deserve its own keyword isn't going to make anybody interested in your set. Nobody's ever said "Oh boy, I get to play with all these new cumulative upkeep cards!"
Inform seems kind of cool as an effect on one or two cards, but yeah not a great keyword.
Contest Winners
Random Words
Round 1: Maraxas-of-Keld, Cryos_Icy_Manipulator Round 2: Dr_Demento, UltraMaximum Round 3: Dr_Demento, Keino Round 4: KunouNoHana Round 5: Maraxas-of-Keld, Stigma_Lasher Round 6: royinator Round 7: forty2j Round 8: Qazior Round 9: Qazior Round 10: Could be you link
Split Cards
Winner: dberry02
Pac-Man
Round 1: Fallingman
Worldprism
Quotes
57051078 wrote:
I just love how focused the YMtC community is.
56901828 wrote:
That's what I love about posting on these forums. Everyone's an expert(except for me).
57031358 wrote:
really no need to be so bitchy.
58021268 wrote:
@Edacade: Awright kid you go on ahead and do your thing and don't let anyone tell you different y'hear
58335208 wrote:
City of Asymmetrical Beings Land :T:, sacrifice a creature: Destroy target creature with the same converted mana cost as the sacrificed creature.
56957928 wrote:
57864098 wrote:
Might I just interject that making this a meme is the worst idea in magic in my opinion. It is too overpowered. It encourages cheating it in play. Essentially 99/100 times it is cheated in play instead of hardcast. Not only that, but you essentially win when it comes into play.
74943291 wrote:
82512575 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Make five-color hybrid tribal instant with buyback, kicker, cycling, card draw, token production, a steal effect, alternate casting cost and landfall that embodies the love that your mom and I share.
I think you just killed all chances of my card being elegant. Ardency :1mana::symwu::symbr: Tribal Instant - Soldier You may have target opponent gain control of 3 permanents you control rather than pay ~'s mana cost. As an additional cost to cast ~, choose two creatures you control, and sacrifice the rest. If you control a soldier, you can't sacrifice permanents this turn. Landfall - If you had a land enter the battlefield under your control this turn, instead choose 4 creatures. Kicker You get an emblem with "As long as you control both chosen creatures, they have protection from everything." If ~ was kicked, creatures you control get +1/+1 for each creature card in your graveyard until end of turn. Cycling :2mana: When you cycle ~, put two 2/2 Soldier creatures onto the battlefield. Would this EVER fit on a card?~
Aside from a few wording mishaps (should say "each chosen creature" because it's not necessarily two) this is nice. Very simple and elegant. I like the alternate cost a lot, and the kicker goes nicely with the sacrifice. However, the cycling seems a bit powerful (4 power and a card for 3? Cycling is supposed be bad. 8/10 EDIT: Just looked up "ardency". Lol.
58347268 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
58325628 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
I'm immortalized too as long as no one deletes this post!
But in the shadow of the great one lurked many who sought to partake of his eternal glory.
Since when am I "many"?
You're a whole damn city.
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
83237429 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
Ahem.
58021268 wrote:
Vivisect Sorcery As an additional cost to cast Vivisect, sacrifice a creature. Draw three cards. "For the sake of humanity," the surgeon whispered. The knife had never felt heavier in his hand.
I don't think a world that sacrifices so much would want to stop the making of children .
Vivisect =/= vasectomy
Now I just feel silly.
56287226 wrote:
I read over two hundred webcomics on a regular basis. "Terrible" doesn't even begin to describe me.
70246459 wrote:
74943291 wrote:
I think that this is the first wizards-community thread that actually made me laugh out loud. Maraxas, I love you.
IMAGE(http://www.free-smiley-faces.de/free-animated-smileys_Smileys-animiert-kostenlos/free-animated-smiley-love_smiley-herz-animiert-kostenlos_250x250.gif)
58347268 wrote:
batman is a jerk in all of my dreams
mafia is fun so play it