Distribution Format Query

I just got the packet, and I need to read through it. One concern I have is for the D&D Next distribution format, and possible tools that may be provided along with it.

My wife and I have a small aparment, and it is already stuffed with books, some of which I plan to sell or give away. I really don't want to add "3 Core Rulebooks of Immense Size plus Shelf of Suppliments". Visiting one guy's home, his whole floor to ceiling bookshelf was 3.5e. I... don't want that. I simply can't afford the space.

We do have laptops, but more importantly we have a Kindle Fire and we may get another eBook reader. I'd like to purchase your core rules and other books from Amazon Digital. Or, if you want to get even more fancy, I'd like you guys to have YOUR program that can be set for either players or for DMs that *can* do dice rolls and pull up stats and rules from books purchased. So if I use my application, I can create an elf along with hyperlinks to all the relevant elf information right out of the Player's Handbook. This App could roll my attacks, keep track of spells and inventory and so on. If my reader can print, it can print out my current character sheet. It can manage my inventory. I can poke an inventory item and have it bring up the relevant core rulebook entry. The ability to add a 'house rules' modules for monsters, races and so on would be ideal, especially if the DM could create a packet and share it with everyone.

The big thing I'm looking at is that we have these devices that simply didn't exist. At one game night, we needed a date and one of the guys used his PDA to roll '1d12', '1d30' and a '1d7' to establish a date and day for the campaign. Sure, there are ways to do it without electronics gear, and some people may prefer them. I'm just saying I have the gear, and I would be happy to pay for tools that made the most use of it that are a part of this new edition. Instead of having to thumb through a huge set of books, the tool can get me directly to the sections of info I want to know on any issue.

This tool would also be a great way for me to decide to purchase the Dragonomicon, or perhaps to purchase official painted or unpainted miniatures or Initiative and Status Cards. I can't buy them today, but this thing may let me put it on my wish list, and perhaps notify me of any sales on the wish-list materials.

This website appears to have some of those tools, available upon subscription. But if I'm at a place without WIFI, that's out. It needs to be a package that I can pay to add the stuff I want. Perhaps this has already been discussed and I simply didn't see it.

Anyway, that's the concern I have, and I look forward to starting my D&D Next library, I just want to buy it off Amazon Digital and stuff it on my eReader. Thanks!
We do have laptops, but more importantly we have a Kindle Fire and we may get another eBook reader. I'd like to purchase your core rules and other books from Amazon Digital. Or, if you want to get even more fancy, I'd like you guys to have YOUR program that can be set for either players or for DMs that *can* do dice rolls and pull up stats and rules from books purchased. So if I use my application, I can create an elf along with hyperlinks to all the relevant elf information right out of the Player's Handbook. This App could roll my attacks, keep track of spells and inventory and so on. If my reader can print, it can print out my current character sheet. It can manage my inventory. I can poke an inventory item and have it bring up the relevant core rulebook entry. The ability to add a 'house rules' modules for monsters, races and so on would be ideal, especially if the DM could create a packet and share it with everyone.

I would absolutely love something like this.

Add a shared-over-wifi tabletop with tokens and I'd pay a healthy monthly service fee.

Danny

I was just thinking of an IPad or Android where the DM just drops a map from an official campaign package, one that scales in & out and has the 'miniatures' on it. Of course, that would only work for a VERY small game, and that also takes away the device from the DM's hidden use, but that is the issue: We have tools that are more in common use between Smart Phones and low profile laptops. I'm not asking for or suggesting to turn the game into an ad-hock MMO. Those exist already. I'm just looking at ways to take 'stuff management' and have it out of the way of the face-to-face interaction with real people in front of me. A freakin' ton of cards and books that have to be looked up and 'managed' is just as much in the way of that person-to-person interaction as a laptop 'LAN' game or playing on an MMO within the same room as people.

So I really hope Wizard's is willing to let me buy ways of getting 'stuff management' onto smaller low-power devices and eBook readers, iPads & 'Droids so we can focus on the sound of dice hitting the table (if we prefer real dice) and the interpersonal imagination taking place. Minutes of 'nose in books' does take away from that. I'm very new, I only have a few games, but there must be a better way with the common devices people carry with them anyway. 
Sign In to post comments