Puzzle Box deck, help?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was looking for a way to make Teferi's Puzzle Box a decent deck Idea and this is what I came up with. These are mainly just a bunch of cards I threw together because they work well with each other, so the deck needs a lot of work. No budget or restrictions for now, just trying to see if the idea works first.

How quickly are you going to run out of cards? The Laboratory Maniac doesn't seem quite right for some reason. I do like the Psychic Possession and Wistful Thinking combo there, however.

Try a Fog Bank for defense, maybe, or either Invisible Stalker or Blighted Agent instead for an offensive win condition. Stalker might be best if this is more for fun, because Curiosity would work well with something unblockable, I feel.
How quickly are you going to run out of cards? The Laboratory Maniac doesn't seem quite right for some reason. I do like the Psychic Possession and Wistful Thinking combo there, however.

Try a Fog Bank for defense, maybe, or either Invisible Stalker or Blighted Agent instead for an offensive win condition. Stalker might be best if this is more for fun, because Curiosity would work well with something unblockable, I feel.

As soon as I can put Curiosity or the eye on Niv-Mizzet I can draw my whole deck if need be while dealing damage, although in the final deck if I use the Maniac he'll probably be a 2x. A couple cards like fog bank might help so I'll think about it. The unblockables while good would take spots from better cards so I probably wont add them. This deck is mostly supossed to frustrate my opponent, with a few ways to win thrown in.
Well your deck has 20 cards that cost 4cmc or higher. I think you should be running more than 20 lands if you want to be able to cast Niv by turn 6-7. 23-25 lands should be the right amount for this type of deck.

How to autocard:

Show
[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

I know, it was just a rough draft to show the idea and the cards I was thinking of using. The finished Version will look ALOT diffrent(and hopfully better).
Teferi's Puzzle Box loves full hands.  Sunder keepa both yours and the other player's hands full while leaving your toys in play.

What about some cheaper draw?  Vision Skeins, Words of Wisdom, Flux yourself, Tolarian Winds, and sometimes Windfall keep the drawing going.

As you are in red already, Wheel of Fortune, Wheel of Fate, and Reforge the Soul might work.

Gush's alternate casting cost is dandy alongside an active Puzzle Box.

Prosperity and Mana Flare - backed by Runeflare Traps and Firestorms is how I win in my UR Niv-Mizzet/Pschy Crawler deck.  No Puzzle Box there, though.

My Puzzle Boxes' home is in a UB Underworld Dreams deck.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.

Cheers!

^^^  This.
Both Blue & Red have lots of toys to make use of this.
Spiteful Visions is another, and then there's always Iron Maiden.
Personally I run a RB draw = pain deck, together with some Howling Mine, Temple Bell, Font of Mythos, Winds of CHange and a few of the draw 7 cards listed by krichaiushii.
I actually missed the Niv+Curiosity combo! >-< D'oh!

Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur of any interest?
I feel like Reliquary Tower would do wonders here

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20795.jpg)

Cheers!

This was my original idea but while looking for more cards to build around the box I found Niv and liked him better.

To everyone that's posted, thanks for the ideas and keep them coming if you think of anymore.
>reminder to self< Best not to argue with idiots, they will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience
I actually missed the Niv+Curiosity combo! >-< D'oh!

Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur of any interest?

While he's a great card for this, the CMC is just way too high. I don't even like the 6cmc on Niv but as he's the main Win Con. I'll deal with it. Anyone know any good ramp for this, perferablly for under $5 apiece?
this is the second pass I've made at this deck

I'm still looking for a way to cheat Niv out cheaper or play him without needing red mana, any ideas?
Mindwrack Liege? not much better CMC wise but solves the need for red mana
>reminder to self< Best not to argue with idiots, they will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience
Mindwrack Liege? not much better CMC wise but solves the need for red mana

That would actually work good, this deck survies long enough for him to be hardcast. Although if I can eliminate the need for red it makes it more reliable to get him out, still would like to cheat him out cheaper though.
Quicksilver Amulet is the best only thing i can think of besides the Liege.... (If you want to cheat that out the you have to go with etherium sculptor =P)
Quicksilver Amulet is the best only thing i can think of besides the Liege.... (If you want to cheat that out the you have to go with etherium sculptor =P)

That's Perfect, even better than the liege. Thanks
[CARD]Ancient Tomb[/CARD] is a great land for accelerating. The trick is to win before the 2 points of damage matter. You've also got [CARD]Grim Monolith[/CARD] as a source of colorless mana. These both give you bang for your buck and open your deck to the possibility of big spells like today's preview--Epic Experiment--and make it easier to cast Niv. Since you say you're on a budget, I might as well throw out [CARD]Show and Tell[/CARD] as a way to cheat Niv or your Puzzle Box into play.