Looking for ideas/builds on making a speedster character.

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been wanting to try this for a while, but I think it was the new cipher theme that put me over the edge of wanting to make a speedster. Super speed is my favorite super power and latly I've been on a kick of trying to figure out how to make superhero's in DnD and what classes they would be ( Ninja turtles assasin and rouges, Doctor who artificers, Human torch fire blast wzards, Batman..Fighter/assassin maybe?). But Super speed is the one I haven't been able to figure out. The best Idea I have is to do a Monk ( multi attacking plus flurry of blows screams speedster and/or Battle mind Quicksilver ( lightinig rushing quicksilver also is good for a speedster too) I'd do a hybrid but they're main stats are too different. I am playing a monk right now and my build is very hard to hit so that would also help the superspeed feel. Anyway, I could use any help/advice you've got to give. Afterwards I'll post what I came up with.

So this is the first (unfinished) draft of my build. I would like to see what people have to say about it. It's a bit light on items right now and I haven't figured out all of my feats. COMPLETELY open to all suggestions at this point. Thanks for the input. Also, the CB will not let me select the Ironsoul mony hybrid option or the Persistant harrier Battlemind hybrid option so if I missed any key elements of those builds let me know. 

Show
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Pietro, level 16
Revenant, Monk/Battlemind, Falling Needle Itinerant
Monastic Tradition (Hybrid) Option: Iron soul (Hybrid)
Hybrid Monk Option: Hybrid Monk Reflex
Hybrid Talent Option: Psionic Study (Hybrid)
Psionic Study (Hybrid) Option: Persistant Harrier (Hybrid)
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid) Option: Hybrid Power Point Option
Choose your Race in Life: Eladrin
Theme: Cipher

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 22, DEX 22, INT 11, WIS 12, CHA 12

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 16, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 11, CHA 11

AC: 27 Fort: 25 Ref: 26 Will: 21
HP: 110 Surges: 14 Surge Value: 27

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +19, Athletics +13, Endurance +23

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +8, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +9, Heal +9, History +8, Insight +9, Intimidate +13, Nature +9, Perception +9, Religion +8, Stealth +14, Streetwise +9, Thievery +14

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Revenant Utility: Dark Reaping
Monk Feature: Iron Flurry of Blows
Battlemind Feature: Battlemind's Demand
Battlemind Feature: Blurred Step
Battlemind Feature: Persistant Harrier
Eladrin Racial Power: Fey Step
Monk Attack 1: Five Storms
Monk Attack 1: Spinning Leopard Maneuver
Battlemind Utility 2: Dimension Slide
Monk Attack 3: Undeniable Incitement
Monk Utility 6: Quicksilver Motion
Battlemind Attack 7: Lightning Rush
Battlemind Attack 9: Shattered Time
Monk Utility 10: Spring Up
Falling Needle Itinerant Attack 11: Fallen from the Thread
Falling Needle Itinerant Utility 12: Wind-Blown Pine
Monk Attack 13: Torrent of Falling Knives
Monk Attack 15: Dancer on the Sea of Battle
Battlemind Utility 16: Instant Move

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Mark of Passage
Level 4: Past Soul
Level 6: Unarmored Agility
Level 8: Ki Focus Expertise
Level 10: Blurred Speed
Level 11: Defensive Mobility

ITEMS
Staff of the Traveler +1 x1
Boots of the Fencing Master x1
Avandra's Boon of Escape (level 13)
Helm of Teleportation (paragon tier)
====== End ======

Couple things I'm unsure about. 1 being what I selected as my Hybrid talent feature. 2 being my squishyness. My defences aren't that great. Keep in mind I want to be effective but also want to be a speedster which I see as a Superfast (teleporting) Skirmisher monk I guess, think of the Flash. So, this is the first rough build I guess.
Monks are good for it (at-will minor-action movement, Fluid Motion feat) - but the problem is that opping for speed isn't really all that useful  Past about speed 8 you run into serious issues of duiminishing returns, since there aren't many battlefields you can't then get across easily in one turn.  Speed 10 is pretty trivial (Elf or Thri-Kreen monk, Fluid Motion, one of several Foot slot items that gives +1 speed).  Getting above that is easy enough, but there's not a lot of point.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I understand what your saying, but being a speedster would be more that just moving far although that is a perk. In comics or dnd, it would include hit and run attacks, acting out of turn attacks, multi targeting attacks, and being hard to hit. All of these things are things a speedster can do. check out some of the powers I mentioned in my first post.
Ah, if that's what you're after, you'll be wanting a Ranger.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

would a ranger multi or hybrid well with a monk or battlemind? Just wondering. Also aren't rangers usually Ranged? I'm looking to make a melee speedster.

would a ranger multi or hybrid well with a monk or battlemind? Just wondering. Also aren't rangers usually Ranged? I'm looking to make a melee speedster.

Rangers can be ranged or melee, your choice. In melee they wield two weapons.

Rangers don't hybrid all that well with either class. They don't suck, but there's not much synergy between the classes either.
Super Speed? Sounds like Teleportation to me. Check out the blinker in thespaceinvader's signature, or dead kobold transit (mellored made a new one that goes 150 squares, taking allies with him, AND allowing them to attack on his turn)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Teleportation could also work, but most teleportations are really short distances aren't they? Guess I'll have to check your sig.
Not when you stack a bunch of teleport boosters onto them.  The Blinker usually blinks around the place at a rate of around 8 or 9 squares per 'port.

In practical play, that's already too much, I rarely use the really long ones.
I suggest a monk with a staff of the traveler +1 in the off-hand, and boots of caiphon (falling needle works for lower levels).

Here's the furthest distance i got, most of it is from items.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Monk's and Battlemind's can hybrid.

The Iron Soul monk is DEX/CON and the Persistant Harrier Battlemind is CON/DEX (not that it ever uses that DEX, but that's beside the point.) 
...  Here's the furthest distance i got, most of it is from items.

To not perform thread necromancy quck comment here.. sorry for the off topic  If i ever run across this trick as a DM I promise to stand up and applaud. That is both awesome and hillarious  
To DME, or not to DME: that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous powergaming, Or to take arms against a sea of Munchkins, And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;No more;

To not perform thread necromancy quck comment here.. sorry for the off topic  If i ever run across this trick as a DM I promise to stand up and applaud. That is both awesome and hillarious  

But WOULD these two hybrid well together? I was also thinking of the Quicksilver PP, which doesn't match up because it uses Cha.  

But WOULD these two hybrid well together? I was also thinking of the Quicksilver PP, which doesn't match up because it uses Cha.  

Monk|Battlemind would work good, yes.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Whatever you're playing, be sure to designate resources on tools for negating conditions. If you're immobilized/restrained/etc, you're not going anywhere. Often, boots that give you a save against these conditions are handier than boots that boost your speed.
Also, again, can anyone explain how to post a character build? Also is lighting rush worth making a battlemind monk hybrid. It just fits a speedster so well!
anyone?
Got your character sheet, select Character Summary from the dropdown menu at the top, click 'clipboard', and then paste into forums.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Awesome, been wanting to know how to do this for forever. Thanks. Now I'm still looking for more Ideas and input if anyone has any. Thanks!
Also, again, can anyone explain how to post a character build? Also is lighting rush worth making a battlemind monk hybrid. It just fits a speedster so well!

Lightning rush (augment 2) is one of the top powers in the game.

You can also use monk moves (falling needle) with battlemind powers (psionic speed).

Just beware of hybrids power point rules.

guides
Power
my builds

Ok, so, in your opinion mel, what would make for a better speedster, monk/battlemind or monk/ranger. Keeping in mind i'll try and maker builds for both as shiftin teleporters.
Ok, so, in your opinion mel, what would make for a better speedster, monk/battlemind or monk/ranger. Keeping in mind i'll try and maker builds for both as shiftin teleporters.

Probably battlemind.

guides
Power
my builds

Hmm, ok, well, i'll give it a shot and post the build. I'd love to hear any advice you have after seeing your amazing porter build. Also is the iron monk or persistant herrier a option for hybrids? They Dont show up as options for hybrids.
Hmm, ok, well, i'll give it a shot and post the build. I'd love to hear any advice you have after seeing your amazing porter build. Also is the iron monk or persistant herrier a option for hybrids? They Dont show up as options for hybrids.

Iron soul is Con secondary, Harrier is Dex secondary (though battleminds have a pretty weak secondary).  And you need Con/Dex to hit with your powers.

guides
Power
my builds

I see, the CB doesn't give hybrids the option to be herrier or iron soul though. Just a over sight maybe?
I see, the CB doesn't give hybrids the option to be herrier or iron soul though. Just a over sight maybe?

"Oversight" is probably not the right word. The funny thing about some of the hybrid options is they just say "You gain the benefits of this class feature." But when the hybrid rules were released, not all options for some class features existed. So they've never been coded in, even though by RAW you can take them. On the flip side, for classes not released in the PHB3, they listed every thing you can take via the hybrid talent. So, by RAW, you can't take the extra options that have since been released.

But yes, by RAW you can take Iron Soul and Harrier.
hmm I see, is there anything we can do to get them to correct this oversight in the CB?
hmm I see, is there anything we can do to get them to correct this oversight in the CB?

Since it has been more than a year and they haven't fixed it, gonna go with no.
So i submitted this question to the customer support.

The character builder doesn't give you the option for a Iron soul mosaic tradition when making a hybrid monk. An no option for a persistent Harrier build when choosing your psionic study hybrid talent feature for battle minds. Is this an oversight? By RAW i believe it should be possible. Will it be corrected soon? 

The response was.

This is actually not incorrect. Unless a later book or article comes out specifically allowing hybrid monks and/or hybrid battleminds to use those new book's and article's abilities then the hybrid monk and hybrid battlemind will only be able to choose the options from the book that they originally came out in....

So? 
CS is wrong. Shocking! Especially when they are only right roughly 4% of the time!

CS is considered a joke. For good reason.
Updated my first post with a mach 1 build. Now Accepting hurtful criticism.. 
Boots of the Fencing Master do nothing when you teleport.

Falling Needle the at-will power.  (shift as a minor).  Which let's you shift 2x.

Not that you couldn't take the PP as well.

guides
Power
my builds

Ahh, I see. But can I use that minor action anytime? or only when using that attack? I see what you mean with the boots. any suggestions with feats?
Ahh, I see. But can I use that minor action anytime? or only when using that attack? I see what you mean with the boots. any suggestions with feats?

You can use it anytime you didn't use another monk power.

You also probably don't need "past soul", that just gives you a teleport 5.  You can already teleport.

Defensive Mobility is also probably not needed, as teleporting doesn't provoke OA's (well, lightning rush can provoke).

Consider grabing sneak of the shadows and risky shift instead.  That will let you teleport further.

Also, try and grab an Eladrin Ring of Passage (the whole point of being an eladrain).  That will be a big boost.

guides
Power
my builds

You could use that any time you didn't use another full discipline power.
Ok, so I can only use it when I dont use other full disipline powers, and only with monk attacks? So, I can only use it with monk dailies out side of its full dicipline then?
Ok, I think I get it, next question, What is the better PP for the build? Falling needle Initiate for monk, Quicksilver demon for battlemind or storm diciple for battlemind. I moved around some points so by paragon I would have a +2 modifier in Cha so I can be more effective with Quicksilver demon and other Battlemind abilities. Fallen needle gives a +1 to shifts which effectivly makes me have longer teleports ( minor action teleport 3 with falling needle at-will. Quicksilver gives me more Powerpoints and +4 to defences for OA's which will help with Lighting rush( which I'm guessing will be my bread and butter attack once I have it.Storm deciple has teleports all up in it, plus, Lighting? That has The FLASH written all over it. Or maybe theres a better one that I didn't notice yet, opinions?
Ok, so I can only use it when I dont use other full disipline powers, and only with monk attacks? So, I can only use it with monk dailies out side of its full dicipline then?

Koshinuke is more correct.  You can use 1 full dicipline attack per round.  Monk at-wills and encounter powers are full dicipline.  Their dailys and utilities are not.

As for the PP, falling needle probably helps with your speed theme the most.  Though extra PP for lightning rush would probably be more powerful.

I wouldn't take Storm Discipel, since again, you already teleport.

guides
Power
my builds