A missed oportunity

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
After wotc lowered the entry cost of m13 prerelease from 30 to 25 tic, I thought things were gonna change.  Because lately, all wizards had done was getting greedier and greedier.  I was even dreaming of double price release events again (must be at least 5 years ago when i won 32 boosters with a release league).
So what happens : this week we can redraft the original Ravnica set.  With all the suspense of people anticipating RtR this might get crowded. So what does wizards do ? Raise the draft price to product + 3 tic instead of the usual 2 tic.
What's up with that ? I thought the firm was doing very well lately, do they really need to squeeze every last buck out of the players ?

It's sad and most of all disrespectfull to the players !
the Magic Online forums are below
proud member of the 2011 community team
Moving to Magic Online General.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Agreed, greed > players. They see us, the players, simply as dollar signs.
Do the fat players look like bigger dollar signs?  Because if so, they would probably target fat players more than others.
Do the fat gravitationally challenged players look like bigger dollar signs?  Because if so, they would probably target fat horizontally enhanced players more than others.

fFixed for political correcttudalnessality

Thank you, Erik.
I just had the perfect idea for what this exciting new feature would be:

Card wear!

As you play with your cards, spots will start to appear on the edges.
Also the shuffler will be modified to adjust for wear, increasing landscrew due to lands sticking together.

The wear will be irreversible. Fortunately you will be able to buy digital sleeves to prevent this! Hurray!
Note that the sleeves themselves will have visible wear and, if used too many times, they might not be legal to use in events.
Each sleeve will only be about a cent each, and you can sleeve cards in your collection along with traded cards, adding incentive for people to trade with you.

Personally I would totally look forward to this (and I'm guessing so would everyone else) since it would be the next step in making MTGO feel exactly like the real thing. More than that I'm sure it would increase sales of packs since people would want to open new shiny cards instead of the worn out ones from bots.
Also what's hilarious is that when trading, you would now have to take into account the condition of the cards being sold/bought, which might affect their value. There would probably be an indicator for this, to make things easier, plus it adds some transparency as to how the wear system works. (i.e. the different levels of wear and how often a card needs to be played in order to "level up" the wear on it)

edit: The sleeves will come in different colors and will be visible during games. So if you chose red sleeves, all your permanents in play with have a red border around it. This will let you personalize your decks even further than before. You can choose a different color for each deck!
Do the fat gravitationally challenged players look like bigger dollar signs?  Because if so, they would probably target fat horizontally enhanced players more than others.

fFixed for political correcttudalnessality

Nonsense. I'm fat. Gravity poses no challenges for me. It's staircases.
Free Speech
Free speech is the right to speak your mind without government censorship and without fear of extralegal retaliation like harassment or violence. That’s all! Free speech doesn’t include the right to speak your mind on any forum anywhere. The government may not prevent you from speaking, but private parties, like blog owners or corporations, aren’t required to let you use their property as your platform. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be believed or to be taken seriously. People may mock, ridicule or laugh at what you say, or they may reject it outright. Free speech doesn’t include the right to be listened to. People who don’t desire to hear your opinion can hang up on you, block you on social media, change the channel, close the browser tab. Free speech doesn’t give you the right to bombard people with harassing messages or otherwise force them to pay attention to you against their will. And free speech doesn’t include the right to suffer no consequences whatsoever for your expressed opinions.
Capitalism is great because if someone offers something you don't like or a price that you think is too high you just don't pay it and if enough people do the same the business notices and hopefully makes changes.   WOTC is here to make money so vote with your dollars and offer up constructive feedback to get them to notice.
PureMTGO.com
Cape Fear Games located in Wilmington, NC. Get 20% extra MTGO credit for your paper cards.
The problem with tournament magic on mtgo is that there is no competition. If I want to play mtgo (legally) I have to join the DEs they put up. I don't have a choice of going to a different game shop or tournament organizer.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
Its a game they designed and own for a framework they built through hard work and its not a basic good controlled by the government, so they have the right to charge whatever they want, specially if there is a demand for it, which is what economy is usually based on. I see nothing disrespectful with that myself.

If selling a product/service for a dollar more because there is demand for it was disrespectful then all secondary card traders should be in jail for abusive disrepect for others and anyone trying to find the right price spot to sell something would always have to sell things at a very expensive price first so that they can only go down. Not to mention that if the cost of producing it went up, they're screwed!

And even if you were put off by that extra dollar you always have options, since there are so many ways to avoid paying for anything in MTGO.  In this case you can use an external drafting engine and get together with a group of friends online and draft for free (you just need to get the singles, which are mostly really cheap in the secondary market). I do that for a sealed league and it works very well. It takes a bit more time, but then, you pay for what you get, right?

Also, I'm pretty sure the 15tx cost for some OOP drafts has been there for some time and is nothing new.
For a great source of information on the Pauper format check out Pauper's Cage!
I just had the perfect idea for what this exciting new feature would be: Card wear!

Your idea is amazing!  The only thing I would add is that cards should have to be sleeved individually by clicking and dragging sleeves onto cards one at a time.  It should be very complicated to sleeve cards inside the collection page, and probably require the use of the keyboard and mouse simultaneously.  And it can't be a quick process, or that would take away from the realism.  A crappy slow animation would help slow down the sleeving process.  When desleeving with the intention of replacing the sleeves, there should be a small risk that the card levels up its wear.

Quick question - will players be able to see the difference between NM and M wear levels?  Cards out of packs could randomly have upgraded wear and come out of the pack at a NM level or even worse.  Wow, this system will make a ton of money for WoTC and add a lot of enjoyment for the players & bot programmers.

Its a game they designed and own for a framework they built through hard work and its not a basic good controlled by the government, so they have the right to charge whatever they want, specially if there is a demand for it, which is what economy is usually based on. I see nothing disrespectful with that myself.

If selling a product/service for a dollar more because there is demand for it was disrespectful then all secondary card traders should be in jail for abusive disrepect for others and anyone trying to find the right price spot to sell something would always have to sell things at a very expensive price first so that they can only go down. Not to mention that if the cost of producing it went up, they're screwed!

And even if you were put off by that extra dollar you always have options, since there are so many ways to avoid paying for anything in MTGO.  In this case you can use an external drafting engine and get together with a group of friends online and draft for free (you just need to get the singles, which are mostly really cheap in the secondary market). I do that for a sealed league and it works very well. It takes a bit more time, but then, you pay for what you get, right?

Also, I'm pretty sure the 15tx cost for some OOP drafts has been there for some time and is nothing new.

Sure first post in this thread is "narrow", which can be partly used to explain why your response is "narrow" too.

Larger perspective.
More thought on how all the "mtgo-things" are connected and affect each other.

I see OP in this thread (and numerous similar ones) as motivated by the desire to "teach" wotc how to earn more money through providing a better product. Isnt that a good motivation ?

It is a very big picture, and it connects to the paper world as well through redemption and mtgo-ptqs/mocs. In addition, the game experience itself follows the precise same pace as paper, only differing with ca 2 weeks pre-release delay at the start of each new set.

Cant talk about all things here, but let me give one example;
You do well on mtgo and get QPs and qualify for mocs. Then you win mocs and qualify for Worlds. But you cant go to worlds or dont want to for whatever personal reasons. Now you are stuck with nothing, after winning mtgo. Because wotc wont give a substitute prize equivalent to airfare+hotel. An other unfortunate thing is non-scaling prizes regarding which number of people entered whichever of the numerous premier events mtgo runs.

The more WotC manages to fit mtgo to how the digital world works for customers the more customers will stick once they are inside. Considering how much larger reach potential the online world has compared to local gaming stores, it seems quite obvious that wotc is loosing out in the big picture.
- This is, honestly, a grotesque advantage. Noah Weil on scouting, an attorney from Seattle with 20 Pro Tour appearances.

A couple of years maybe? But, this was preceded by OOP drafts that didn't cost any tickets, just product.

I'm not interested enough in RGD to put up with paying the (relatively new) OOP tax, so I won't play in these events. Others who don't mind the extra cost will play. Only WotC can determine if the tax is better for their long-term business.

Card wear!

Also the shuffler will be modified to adjust for wear, increasing landscrew due to lands sticking together.

The wear will be irreversible. Fortunately you will be able to buy digital sleeves to prevent this! Hurray!
Note that the sleeves themselves will have visible wear and, if used too many times, they might not be legal to use in events.
Each sleeve will only be about a cent each, and you can sleeve cards in your collection along with traded cards, adding incentive for people to trade with you.

Personally I would totally look forward to this (and I'm guessing so would everyone else) since it would be the next step in making MTGO feel exactly like the real thing. More than that I'm sure it would increase sales of packs since people would want to open new shiny cards instead of the worn out ones from bots.
Also what's hilarious is that when trading, you would now have to take into account the condition of the cards being sold/bought, which might affect their value. There would probably be an indicator for this, to make things easier, plus it adds some transparency as to how the wear system works. (i.e. the different levels of wear and how often a card needs to be played in order to "level up" the wear on it)

edit: The sleeves will come in different colors and will be visible during games. So if you chose red sleeves, all your permanents in play with have a red border around it. This will let you personalize your decks even further than before. You can choose a different color for each deck!

Heh, I made a flippant suggestion like this a year or two ago

I think I also suggested that the act of sleeving should be done via a tedius repetitive mini-game - first to unsleeve an old deck, then to apply the sleeves to a new deck. Or, you can just buy new sleeves.

Card wear!

Heh, I made a flippant suggestion like this a year or two ago

I think I also suggested that the act of sleeving should be done via a tedius repetitive mini-game - first to unsleeve an old deck, then to apply the sleeves to a new deck. Or, you can just buy new sleeves.

Please don't suggest this. Wotc may only listen to and carry out 1 in a 100 of our ideas but they just finished one (standard pauper) and if this is the next idea they see who knows what might happen.

Can you imagaine the pain of the V4 filters with even more options. Like level of wear, type of sleave, miss cuts, stuff I got signed but can now only use if the head judge says its ok.
That might be final straw that forces me to leave my flat, drive half an hour and meet new people. Just to play magic for 3 hours a week.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

I'm enjoying the sleeves discussion.  

Another cool feature that would make MTGO more similar to paper: when you enter a tournament, sometimes some of your tradable cards randomly get stolen out of your account.   Sales boost!