414: New Planescape themes

63 posts / 0 new
Last post
Obligitory Link:  Planescape Themes

Interesting options this time around.

Sensates:  +1/2 level temp hp everytime they use an encounter/daily attack power, L6 utility that gives a weaker version of Shield

Cipher: +2 init, free action to move your speed if you are not the highest result, once per day you can spend 2 AP an encounter, encounter stance that is interesting

Xaositect:  +2 power bonus to defenses vs OAs, cannot be suprised while conscious, The Die is Cast: a wild sorcerer type power if ever there was one

Random needs to still be good no matter what, random chance to waste your action or even penalize you is terrible design. The entire point of Xaositect is for Tiefling Dominates anyway

Sensates is fantastic.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Is there any way to get Sensates to trigger off Dragon Breath?
What is the trigger?
Whenever you use an encounter attack power or a daily attack power, you gain temporary hit points equal to one-half your level.
Whenever you use an encounter attack power or a daily attack power, you gain temporary hit points equal to one-half your level.

Don't see the problem. Per the RC every power is either attack or utility. If it isn't labeled as such, it is an attack power if it does damage. DB does damage.

So... that is a fantastic theme for a Rebreather. Easily deals with the incidental damage.
Sweet!  I was worried because it's not explicitly labeled as an attack power.  So, yeah, not just fantastic, I'd say it's mandatory for rebreathers.
Sweet!  I was worried because it's not explicitly labeled as an attack power.  So, yeah, not just fantastic, I'd say it's mandatory for rebreathers.

It is pretty stunning. I avoided the zone abuse that allows the current DPR king to function when I played my build, but I tried really hard to only take a couple of damage. I could have easily tacked on 20 more damage per breath if I was willing to take ~10 damage per breath. 15 THP deals with that handily. Even in Paragon... yeah, wow.
The entire point of Xaositect is for Tiefling Dominates anyway.

I don't get this. Care to elaborate?

Typically it would be done with Evil Eye of the Vistani, but this saves a feat (at the cost of a theme, which for a controller isn't a huge deal I suppose). Divine Oracle PP's e11 Prophecy of Doom allows one person who hits the target to crit, Babble, which as a Minor Action doesn't even require an AP to combo with Prophecy of Doom, and the key in the combo is Glasya's Charming Words which boosts accuracy, and oh look, now that useless 0 damage crit has become a Dominate
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Ah, nice combo. Never saw that before. I suppose it makes sense of you were taking DO anyway for the double roll, you might as well use your E11 to get a standard+minor action Dominate out of the deal.
Cipher is nice for Battlefield Archers, particularly those with Martial Mastery.
I killed Aleena.
Sensate:

lvl 1: Unless your blowing all your encounter powers on turn 1 (or are psionic), this boost your toughness considerably.   Uber for dragonborn rebreathers.
lvl 5: good skills, though it doesn't stack with your 10.
lvl 10: By level 10, You should be able to get a few THP on demand (restful bedroll is a good start).  Thus basicly a permanate skill boost.  Note it doesn't stack with your 5.

2: Effectivly grant a save at +2.  Could be better with some boosts (warden, resilent focus).
6: Pretty run of the mill, but usefull none the less.
10: Daily nova setup that doesn't work with spammy builds.

Cipher:

lvl 1: Good for slower PC's to get into position.
lvl 5: normal
lvl 10: Useless to most PC's, but for those who generate action points (avenging spirit, battlefield archer), there's not many way's to spend the excess before warmaster 30.

2: While a free save againt end of next turn effects is good.  It's a reaction, thus can't be used on daze/dominate/stun.  It also might not be useful for several battles.
6: Minor benifit, but it's somewhat easy to maintain.
10: Font of life for an encounter.

Xaositect:

lvl 1: Nearly useless outside of some RP fun (or a generous DM).  Unless you can stack something off charm or save ends (tieflings have a several options).
lvl 5: slightly better then normal
lvl 10: OA's are pretty rare to provoke, but not being surprised is a solid benifit.

2: Hard to use well, but could be pretty nice if your surround by enemies, but not allies.
6: Random bonus (+3) to any of your d20 rolls.  Would easily be sky blue if it wasn't so random.
10: A net +8 to initive for your party.  Quite nice.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Sensate + Sacrifice to Caiphon + Inevitable Doom... ??

Hellfire Fury ??
archspell 30 + (Curse of the Golden Mist, Hellfire Soul)??

Hmm... could you use sacrifice to caiphon with dragonbreath?

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Babble will be a minor action, encounter, save-ends shutdown on most humanoid leader and controller monsters, until your DM finally gets sick of it and decides that all commanding and casting in the universe is conducted via sign language from here on.

That made me laugh
lvl 1: Nearly useless outside of some RP fun.

I'm quoting this for being the most dramatically incorrect rating of a power I've seen in at least a year.

Babble will be a minor action, encounter, save-ends shutdown on most humanoid leader and controller monsters, until your DM finally gets sick of it and decides that all commanding and casting in the universe is conducted via sign language from here on.

Any rule source to indicate that leading and controlling moster abilities relies on audiable and intelligble speech to function? If you find one we might have found a use for the deafened condition :P

Sensate + Flattening Charge = Luls on a bravura warlord.

lvl 1: Nearly useless outside of some RP fun.

I'm quoting this for being the most dramatically incorrect rating of a power I've seen in at least a year.

If your DM decides the leader is yelling or chanting, then sure.  But by RAW, only 20 monsters have the word "hear" in their stat block.  (and that's being generous, as no effects are based on being understood).

I'll change it to green.  As in DM dependant.

guides
Power
my builds

Sensate is pretty incredible for skill monkeys. Grab a Restful Bedroll and an Eager Hero's Tattoo, and have +3 to skills all day long. I have a Skald, a Warlord, and a Sorcerer/Bard built as skill monkeys, who might all go this route. Also seems mildly interesting for Battleragers, as there is now even less reason to pick invigorating encounter/daily powers, just pick the best fighter powers, and you're good to go. There are some other funky combos, like Draconic Spell Fury plus Sensate equals temps every round.

Cipher seems made for Githzerai, particularly defenders. Now I have to debate between this and Samurai for my Githzerai Knight, but as tempting as another +2 initiative is, I'll probably still stick with Samurai, since I tend to go first anyway.

Xaositect (did I put all the letters in the right order?) seems pretty narrow in application.
What kind of bonus is the +2 vs OAs from Xaositect?

Undrhil, Its a power bonus.

I agree that Sensate is amazing, though its kind of boring it doesn't even get a token starting power.

I can see cipher being good for defenders who sometimes have trouble getting into position early in the fight and won't usually be winning initative.

what does cipher's stance do?
Its basically font of life with some temp hitpoints when you make a save.
I agree that Sensate is amazing, though its kind of boring it doesn't even get a token starting power.

Did you want it in power format?

At-Will
Free acton  Personal
Trigger: You use an encounter or daily attack power.
Effect: You gain temporary hit points equal to 1/2 your level.

guides
Power
my builds

Did you want it in power format?

At-Will
Free acton  Personal
Trigger: You use an encounter or daily attack power.
Effect: You gain temporary hit points equal to 1/2 your level.

Unless it rounds up, it's useless until level 2.
I think they should tone down the THP a bit so it doesn't make THP builds like Pathfinder Rangers obsolete. Maybe 4 or 5+tier THP? Then the theme will also be more useful at low levels without being overpowered in epic.
I think they should tone down the THP a bit so it doesn't make THP builds like Pathfinder Rangers obsolete. Maybe 4 or 5+tier THP?

Since you have to use a daily or encounter attack power to get it, it's already limited.  Without some way to recharge those powers, you are going to get (depending on build) at most 5 uses of this by encounter powers and maybe 4 or 5 uses *per day* by dailies.

can i have it in power format?

i do know what font of life is though. 
4-5 is kind of on the low-end, actually. You get four encounter powers. So that is 4 minimun. Add in themes, class features, racials, items....

can i have it in power format?

No.

It's against the rules to repost powers, unless your discussing the wording or something.

guides
Power
my builds

Cipher:

Good for anyone that doesn't do anything else to boost initiative. This is basically a reason to not bother boosting init in any way.

Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome

Cipher:

Good for anyone that doesn't do anything else to boost initiative. This is basically a reason to not bother boosting init in any way.

Because attacking first is lame?
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Lots of encounters can more or less end if you start them with the Defender right next to the enemies, them already marked by one of the many ways he has.
Not Paragon encounters.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

Cipher:

Because attacking first is lame?

How do you infer that from what I've said?
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
Ciphers features are decent enough, but there are a lot of other themes most defenders would pick first.  And this theme feature is probably best geared towards defenders or at least off defenders who tend to not win initiative, but really want to start off in a good position and don't have many movement powers.

Having a free move to start off almost all encounters is a nice benefit, but its not normally worth picking it over something like ironwrought or sensate, which give you more consistent benefits and  will probably give you an extra power too.
I'll bump Ciphers to black.

Even if you don't use the lvl 10 feature, it's a pretty solid level 1.

guides
Power
my builds

I put cipher as black in three of my handbooks.

The free move can be good for shamans if they already have their companion summoned since the free move will let you move the spirit in position too.
The free move can be good for shamans if they already have their companion summoned since the free move will let you move the spirit in position too.

Doesn't work. The theme doesn't give you a move action. It gives you a free action that lets you move your speed. Moving the spirit companion requires that you take a move action.
Babble is weird. It has an attack roll and an effect line, but it doesn't do anything (aside from the effect) on a hit. At all.

Okay, I guess it triggers Punishing Eye damage, or other such effects.
Mungu, I reread the theme and you're right.  One less theme for shamans then since without that I don't think its worth keeping the guide.