D&D Virtual Table?? is it coming soon or not?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I can't figure out if this is coming soon or not I have seen videos that are a couple years old and some posts saying it was stopped. but then I saw a video that was more recent but still not table on DDI what is the whole story?
I can't figure out if this is coming soon or not I have seen videos that are a couple years old and some posts saying it was stopped. but then I saw a video that was more recent but still not table on DDI what is the whole story?

It is out, but it is no longer the "D&D Virtual Table"..
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

WOTC pulled their support of the Virtual Table, so Gametableonline.com (the company that was developing the VT for wotc) stepped up and took it on themselves.  It is free to play, free to use, interacts with some DDI elements.

Create an account at GTO, and you can use it.  The actual table link is rpgtableonline.com 
"Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor? NOW you're scared!" - Rose Tyler
Why did Wizards pull thier support? It seemed like such a great tool for the website. 
The "Virtual Table" links are still on the front page of the logged in profile, but the links 404.

Also, the "Virtual Table" was the stated reason why other tools (character builder, encounter builder, adventure generator, etc) were being held in such a crappy state. And now, two years later, it's something I have to pay for separately instead. Blech and double blech.

The only thing they (Hasbro) have left is the name "D&D" and a ton of inertia. I wish that was given enough resources to support existing players, rather than chase the next shiny thing. (Also: see Zuckerberg's letter to Facebook investors about short vs long)

The "Virtual Table" links are still on the front page of the logged in profile, but the links 404.

I can't help you here.. If you click the "Tools" link, the VT link still shows up there too..

Also, the "Virtual Table" was the stated reason why other tools (character builder, encounter builder, adventure generator, etc) were being held in such a crappy state. And now, two years later, it's something I have to pay for separately instead. Blech and double blech.

You don't have to pay for the Virtual Table separately.  It is free to use.  Gametableonline.com or rpgtableonline.com  Check it out.

Why did Wizards pull thier support? It seemed like such a great tool for the website. 

This is part of Josh's post on the matter
  I wanted to inform you all about an important decision that Wizards has made regarding the D&D Virtual Table  and Virtual Table Beta. While we appreciate the enthusiasm and participation in the Beta phase, we were unable to generate enough support for the tool to launch a full version to the public. Effective July 30, 2012 the D&D Virtual Table Beta will be coming to an end and the VT will be closed.

Which, considering that they never really pushed it, kept it hidden, and strictly forbade DNDnext playtesters from using the Virtual Table, it is no surprise their wasn't interest.  When you don't want the family eating the Oreos, you hide them and keep them a secret...

In any case, it seems to me it was basically decision after decision, made by someone, to purposely sabotage the interest in, and success of, the Virtual Table.. but now that GTO is handling it, it is booming.  Extra tokens and map tilesets are available for purchase for people that want more than the 3 core Master Sets..  But it's still completely free if you don't want any of the optional bells & whistles 

This is part of Josh's post on the matter
  I wanted to inform you all about an important decision that Wizards has made regarding the D&D Virtual Table  and Virtual Table Beta. While we appreciate the enthusiasm and participation in the Beta phase, we were unable to generate enough support for the tool to launch a full version to the public. Effective July 30, 2012 the D&D Virtual Table Beta will be coming to an end and the VT will be closed.

Which, considering that they never really pushed it, kept it hidden, and strictly forbade DNDnext playtesters from using the Virtual Table, it is no surprise their wasn't interest.  When you don't want the family eating the Oreos, you hide them and keep them a secret...

In any case, it seems to me it was basically decision after decision, made by someone, to purposely sabotage the interest in, and success of, the Virtual Table.. but now that GTO is handling it, it is booming.  Extra tokens and map tilesets are available for purchase for people that want more than the 3 core Master Sets..  But it's still completely free if you don't want any of the optional bells & whistles 

It's not just bells and whistles!  Anything thats not found in a small village or in the woods is extra, almost any creatures not medium sized are extra, tokens for your characters are extra, and a premium account runs you $10 a month, which buys you about 60 cents worth of 'gold' and access to upload your own content.

It's not just bells and whistles!  Anything thats not found in a small village or in the woods is extra, almost any creatures not medium sized are extra, tokens for your characters are extra, and a premium account runs you $10 a month, which buys you about 60 cents worth of 'gold' and access to upload your own content.

When WOTC was running it, we had the master sets for wilderness, city, and dungeon..  you still have those for free.

You had a selection of tokens that you could use for Monsters, and PCs..  many medium, a few dragons, horses, and other Large (about 8 of them I think), you still have about that many.. and we had the generic dragon head tokens for med, large, huge, garg.. we stll have those.  

This is what you get for free with GTO..  you can choose to buy other tiles..  Deserts of Athas runs about $3.30, others as little as $1.50, others more.. one time fee.  You can choose to buy more tokens to use, as little as $.30, to $1.20.. note, these features didn't exist under wotc.

Now we can also upload our own maps, or images you wish to show players.  Subscribers can do so many a month for free..  free users have to pay per upload.  THis feature didn't exist under wotc. 

Subscribers can also store 50 maps and adventures, and 50 PCs on the table cloud for free.. free users have to pay a one time fee.

Subscribers can also share maps and adventures that they created with other subscribers.  This feature was not available under wotc.

and Subscribers get $2.10 worth of gold each month, that you can use for extra tokens, tiles, whatever.

Now, if you look at what a subscriber gets, it may not be worth it to you.  You may not need it.  I run a (mostly) weekly game, and I don't need to subscribe.  I took so many months worth of subscription fees and bought nearly every tile set.  I'll have those tiles for the life of the table now. I don't need to share maps or adventures, I don't need to upload my own maps or images.  Everything else that a subscriber gets, I bought on my own, and will always have now.

It's bells and whistles.  If you don't want to buy new tokens, that's fine.  If you want to sub wilderness or city tiles for something else, that's fine too.  Gamers can manage.  We have an imagination.  For years, many of us got along just fine with a vinyl mat and markers.