Anyone still out there?

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
If you still check this forum give a hello! The first step to getting activity back up and running again is to prove to eachother that people are still looking at this site, lol.
I still visit this site - hough motivation to post is low. There are larger and more active sites out there - and they even offer new product ;)
...,... and Rock'n Roll - but Minis are fun too...
Still here. Feeling like the Maytag Repairman.

GW
Your Avalon Hill VCL 0c9b9c4639e3c9294f5e1f424cee47a3.jpg?v=42600
Still here. Feeling like the Maytag Repairman. GW

Well, maybe it's time to 'beat the drum' again. Future expansions or not, we can still give the game a future. I'm thinking of starting up a sistership/aircraft variant project. I've seen some other attempts at making unofficial expansions for the game and was overall less than impressed once I saw all of the cards. What I'm suggesting would be far more casual, no official deadlines or 'expansions', just put a card or two out a week for others to enjoy.

Also, there's a sight called Shapeways that does 3-D printing, and some people have been making 1800 scale miniatures available on there, plus Mongoose Publishing plans to release 1800 scale miniatures if I've heard right. Problem with all of these sources though is, you have to paint the minis, and in the case of Mongoose, you'll have to assemble them.

So, if I took the time to dig up WWII miniatures off Shapeways and put them in a post here, would it be okay? Or would that be considered soliciting? My intent is only to keep the game and the site alive until WotC comes to it's senses.

In any case, I don't know how far we'll get with the card project in the end, going to need some help with that... But I do have some fantasy set lists in the works that will hopefully generate some talk, whatever that talk may be...
I still lurk in these forums.
IMAGE(http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/NeuralDream/AxisAllies/TsondaboySig1.jpg)
Ent, people have used other miniatures to augment their collections for AAM and posted them since day one. Go for it. There is a clear line between hawking competitors product and supporting the game and fan base. Now if this was Games workshop,,,,,,LOL, Hey that left arm isn't from our product line, your banned!!! (Lol)

GW
Your Avalon Hill VCL 0c9b9c4639e3c9294f5e1f424cee47a3.jpg?v=42600
I still check the site periodically.  Nice to see some life beginning to come back after the shock of Wizards letting things drift.  I don't plan to give up on the game any time soon.  In fact, I just today received my HotzMap sea blue hex map (quite a wait though - I ordered it in mid June).  

I have to say that by the time July rolled around, I thought I might be the last holdout that had not moved anchor, turret, and keel to Forumini.  (Ent, I never did hear back from you on the destroyer Johnston Card that I posted on the Siterships thread; I couldn't get all the SAs on that you suggested but I think it looks pretty good).

Discovering the Shapeways site (thanks to Weeds posting on the Java contest) was like having a Set 7 release.   A bit expensive but they are nice sculpts and I look forward to painting them and generating a set of cards to go with them.   Hope to get to some of that soon and I'll probably post them here.  Maybe that will help bring some life to the site  I never quite figured out how to break into Forumini with these cards but it is so easy to do on this site.

I have to say that by the time July rolled around, I thought I might be the last holdout that had not moved anchor, turret, and keel to Forumini.  (Ent, I never did hear back from you on the destroyer Johnston Card that I posted on the Siterships thread; I couldn't get all the SAs on that you suggested but I think it looks pretty good).

I saw the Johnston card and liked it, I meant to reply to you but I probably got sidetracked before I pushed 'post reply' and it was never left.

I'm almost done typing up my speculative expansion lists, all 8 of them. Wishful thinking you say? Well, that's all we have left ATM anyways. ;)
Still lurking every now and then, been busy the past few months with my new job and have been a little more active in the forumini forum.

Too bad Shapeways items will be sent as commerical items to my country, adding another 30% import tax to the price. Still looking for a european seller with similar items.

Pen
Sad really, there was a young man in our FLGS actually intrested in the product Saturday;  Didn't know what to tell him, it is obvious WIzards/Hasbro has no interest in ANY product without a Hollywood licencing tie in. 

According to the WSJ, Hasbro's total sales are significantly off for this year.  And the lackluster Hollywood summer means things will not be improving. 
At least I scored some nice modestly priced naval miniatures for other naval games, and Shapeways will eventually produce other product.

As an introductory naval game, it is/was OK;  How do I convince people to stretch their imaginations to a better product?

Oh yeah, doesn't Shapeways have a UK office/Shipping point?

Or maybe it is just that the corporate masters of the universe want to flush all of History down the memory hole.
This remains my favorite game....and I check in now and again on here.  Thanks for turning me on to the Shapeways site.....now I just need cards for those.  I love enabrantain's idea about publishing sister ship cards as well.....
Does anyone know where there are cards for the Shapeways miniatures? 

If they don't exist, who has the talent to make these....and do we want to discuss the profiles of those units on here in creating them?  
Does anyone know where there are cards for the Shapeways miniatures? 

If they don't exist, who has the talent to make these....and do we want to discuss the profiles of those units on here in creating them?  

In all fairness, even though I didn't like most of them, Forumini did an 'expansion' of 72 cards that do cover many of the shapeways models. You can find the cards on their site. The cards do look really nice asthetically, I just didn't agree with a fair portion of the content. But that's me, you might thoroughly enjoy them.
Thank you enabrantain!  I just looked for that expansion on the Forumini site and could not locate it....but will continue to look this evening.  I am hoping Antshrike will put something together....I tend to like his conceptions.

We could start a thread on a couple of these Shapeways units....and develop some proposed conceptual stats with this project for Antshrike to work from since he apparently already posted his intention to work on this.  Troop ships could be an interesting addition.  I would like to see yours and others input on what these units should look like in the framework of the current game.
I still check the site periodically.  Nice to see some life beginning to come back after the shock of Wizards letting things drift.  I don't plan to give up on the game any time soon.  In fact, I just today received my HotzMap sea blue hex map (quite a wait though - I ordered it in mid June).  

Discovering the Shapeways site (thanks to Weeds posting on the Java contest) was like having a Set 7 release.   A bit expensive but they are nice sculpts and I look forward to painting them and generating a set of cards to go with them.   Hope to get to some of that soon and I'll probably post them here.  Maybe that will help bring some life to the site  I never quite figured out how to break into Forumini with these cards but it is so easy to do on this site.

They are pricy....but I purchased a couple today to fill the chasm on the high sees left by WotC.  It was like having a Set 7 release.  Hoping you'll come up with a couple cards for the I-400, B-17, Do-217, BV-138, PBM Mariner (my neighbor flew one of these - a very special aircraft), Troop ships, Supermarine Seafire, H6K Mavis and P-38.

They are pricy....but I purchased a couple today to fill the chasm on the high sees left by WotC.  It was like having a Set 7 release.  Hoping you'll come up with a couple cards for the I-400, B-17, Do-217, BV-138, PBM Mariner (my neighbor flew one of these - a very special aircraft), Troop ships, Supermarine Seafire, H6K Mavis and P-38.

the vast majority of those are in the Team poseidon expansion pack, word probably didn't trickle here but they were up for preorder since june and I think have sold out now so you will have to find them on the secondary market the packs only sold for 6.00 were a great deal.
Thanks Darth!  I'm sorry I missed all that....that's a great deal and the cards look excellent by the way.  I'll look for a secondary market option.
Been gone for a WHILE.  Computer went down and lost most info etc.  Back now.  Ready for 3 cases of the next set!!!!!
I am still here.  Just lurking, hoping for some good news.
Ready for 3 cases of the next set!!!!!

You and me both, bud!

I still pop in occasionally, much less with no new product on the horizon.

Just one more set would finish off so many gaps...too bad. 
I have the whole collection and would continue to buy more.

Peace 
It looks like Antshrike has been falling short on the job.  I guess I have been away from this site too long (not sure how the original few weeks suddenly stretched on for months).    I have a selection of the Shapeways ships and aircraft now and did intend to post cards that were in the same format as the original cards.  Of course, you have to paint the Shapeways ships, which sounded fun and not all that difficult - except that it seems to have taken a good deal more time then I ever thought it would just to get started.  Sorry for those of you that hoped to see cards from me at an earlier date.  I will start getting on with that now.  

Ent, it sounds like you had some differring ideas on what should be on the cards.  Perhaps you can share some of those ideas with me.  I admit, determine what to put on the cards probably played a part in stalling my progress.

Right now, I have the following Shapeways pieces, which is likely the ships and planes I would focus on first, but I could work on others at request.  Not all the shapeways pieces are equal in quality and some I haven't picked up for that reason (the British Hunt Class DDs for example didn't look as sharp as the others even though I would really like to have them); others are sister ships for pieces I already had multiple units from War at Sea, so that governed the following list a bit.

Dutch:

Java

Germany:

Do-217 (although this piece could easily be a Do 17 as well):
HE 111

Japan:

CL Tenryu
CA Furutaka
DD Akatsuki
DD Ayanami

U.S.:

B-17
PBM Mariner
DD Sims
DD Gridley
APA Haskell
APA Bayfield
AO Neshio

Looking at the list you have there... I'd say Java is one card TP definetly did right. Maybe you don't agree and that's fine, heheh. But it's on my 'conversion' to-do lists along with Emden. Will try and do a little research for the others. I'll admit I'm more of an SA guy than a stats person, but I'll see what I can come up with to help out. I've done three sets of revised cards now, hopefully you'll find a few useful things in those.

It looks like Antshrike has been falling short on the job.  I guess I have been away from this site too long (not sure how the original few weeks suddenly stretched on for months).    I have a selection of the Shapeways ships and aircraft now and did intend to post cards that were in the same format as the original cards.  Of course, you have to paint the Shapeways ships, which sounded fun and not all that difficult - except that it seems to have taken a good deal more time then I ever thought it would just to get started.  Sorry for those of you that hoped to see cards from me at an earlier date.  I will start getting on with that now.  

Ent, it sounds like you had some differring ideas on what should be on the cards.  Perhaps you can share some of those ideas with me.  I admit, determine what to put on the cards probably played a part in stalling my progress.

Right now, I have the following Shapeways pieces, which is likely the ships and planes I would focus on first, but I could work on others at request.  Not all the shapeways pieces are equal in quality and some I haven't picked up for that reason (the British Hunt Class DDs for example didn't look as sharp as the others even though I would really like to have them); others are sister ships for pieces I already had multiple units from War at Sea, so that governed the following list a bit.

Dutch:

Java

Germany:

Do-217 (although this piece could easily be a Do 17 as well):
HE 111

Japan:

CL Tenryu
CA Furutaka
DD Akatsuki
DD Ayanami

U.S.:

B-17
PBM Mariner
DD Sims
DD Gridley
APA Haskell
APA Bayfield
AO Neshio

Did these cards ever get published? I'm loving the Shapeways site and the Team Posieden Expansion deck of 72 ships Forumini did? If they ever republish those, or do another deck I'd like them....but to be able to get a B-17 or HE-111, etc in the same type of formatted cards as the originals would be quite the Christmas Gift.

Thanks!
Did these cards ever get published? I'm loving the Shapeways site and the Team Posieden Expansion deck of 72 ships Forumini did? If they ever republish those, or do another deck I'd like them....but to be able to get a B-17 or HE-111, etc in the same type of formatted cards as the originals would be quite the Christmas Gift. Thanks!

I'm afraid with the holidays I haven't had any time to work on more than the three sets I've already released.  Rich Baker made a great point on his blog about Soryu being a good proxy for Unryu, and that's the last thing WAS-wise I've been thinking about besides tinkering with a set list for my next personal expansion. That will include a MAS Boat card (revamped Motor Torpedo Boat card) and probably a Type 13 subchaser with Guard the Convoy SA.

Did these cards ever get published? I'm loving the Shapeways site and the Team Posieden Expansion deck of 72 ships Forumini did? If they ever republish those, or do another deck I'd like them....but to be able to get a B-17 or HE-111, etc in the same type of formatted cards as the originals would be quite the Christmas Gift. Thanks!

Not yet, AH.  It is the Season of distraction as Ent noted in his response.  However, I hope to have at least some of the cards posted in the original game format before the end of the year or the first week of January.  Thanks Ent, that is all I need to know about the Java.  I don't actually disagree with Team Posiedon's stats or SAs but if someone did, this would be an opportunity to create an alternative.s.  Otherwise, I will use their information for stats and SAs for sisterships that are not available through War at Sea releases. 

I did forget to add the Hiryu (JPN) to my list of Shapeways ships.

I am still around, but it's been a while since I posted.
Good to see a few more responses to this post, many thanks