Human Sub-Races should be Half

Half Giants, Half Orcs, Half Elves, Half Dwarves.

All of these have one thing in common. That they are also Human. Nice way to give human's subraces if they were put into the race, though at the same time there might have to be a few pure Human subrace options to not take away from human as a character choice.

Does this make sense? Making Half Races the Subraces of Human. I search a bit for this on the forums, but found nothing.

Homebrews:

Half Elf

• Vision: Low-Light

• Keen Senses: You have advantage on checks made to listen to, search for, or notice something.

• Languages: Common and Elven

• Attribute Bonus: +1 Charisma

Half Dwarf(Mul) 

• Dwarven Resilience: You are immune to all damage and effects from Poison.

• Languages: Common and Dwarven

• Attribute Bonus: +1 Constitution

Half Halfling:

• Lucky: Twice Per Day, when you make an attack roll, check, or saving throw and get a result you dislike, you can reroll the die and use either result. If you have advantage or disadvantage on the roll, you reroll only one of the dice.

• Language: Common and Halfling

• Attribute Bonus: Dex +1

Half Orc 

• Orc Blood Rage: Twice per day, you can reroll one of your damage dice.

• Languages: Common and Orcish

• Attributes: +1 Strength

Half Giant:

• Vision: Lowlight

• Giant's Strength: Twice Per Day, You may take advantage on a Strength Check. Even if you would have a disadvantage.

• Languages: Common and Giant

• Attribute Bonus: +1 Strength

Ant Farm
It kind of does, but then you'd have to have "human" as a subrace of itself, as subraces inherit all the features of their parent race.  So, in the current iteration, Half elves, half orcs, muls and so on would all get the +2 to one stat and +1 to all others.

It's better to just make them their own races.  Apply subraces when applicable (elves, dwarves, gnomes, etc.), but just use full race write-ups when the situation calls for it.  I'd rather see the human subraces left open as a design space for regional benefits as outlined in campaign settings. 
I could get behind this. Seems like it would be a pretty easy way to impliment them.
My two copper.
I liked the idea of half races being a subrace. My idea for Human's Half Sub-Races instead of Half being a seperate race, using current Human rules(sadly):

Half Elf

• Keen Senses: You have advantage on checks made to listen to, search for, or notice something.

• Languages: Common and Elven

• Attribute Bonus: +1 Charisma

Half Dwarf(Mul) 

• Dwarven Resilience: You are immune to all damage and effects from Poison.

• Languages: Common and Dwarven

• Attribute Bonus: +1 Constitution

Design Philosophy:

Vision as Low-light was chosen because for Muls and Half-Elves still have lowlight vision, I believe. Languages speak for themselves. As far as the abilities though I chose the one ability they had that did not complement the others of the race, for example being immune to Sleep for Elves is because they don't sleep which is tied to their Mediate ability as well.

Weapon training was right out because what if the character lived with one or the other races. Stone Cutting for Dwarves means that the Half Dwarves would have to have lived in mines or underground, in a Dark Sun game this would be unlikely. 

As far as Attributes, Constitution for Half Dwarves seems to be what half dwarves are known for, aside from their above average height for a human. Half Elves are known for their diplomatic ability which is why I gave them Charisma +1.

Conclusion:
How did I do? This was just to tie them into their original races. While not all of the races are balanced per say*cough human cough* I think it could work for playtesting the current packet.

Ant Farm
...You gave half-elves +1 Con and half-dwarves +1 Cha.  Fail. Wink
...You gave half-elves +1 Con and half-dwarves +1 Cha.  Fail. 

Fixed.
Ant Farm
I support this +1
I'd like to point out real quickly, that if you download the character sheets included in the latest Penny Arcade podcast, it seems that they already have a seperate Half-Elf race. It has three racial traits that I noticed: Low-Light Vision, Keen Senses, and a new one called Indomitable Will.

And personally, I'm happy with that. I'm not sure that tying hybrid races to Humans like that is the right move. Partially just because it doesn't feel right to me, but I have other reasons.

I mean, first things first, it would require a huge overhaul of the Human race. Which the Human needs anyways, but that's besides the point. As things stand now, the idea of slapping on the Half-Elf subrace stats on top of the Human's +2 to one stat, +1 to the rest seems really bad.

Two, one of the big things that 4E particularly emphasized is that the hybrid races were more than the sum of their parts. Sure, they got a little from column A and a little from column B, but they also had their own traits. Half-Elves are more than just half-human, half-elf. Their two halves come together and make a character capable of things neither half is capable of.

Three, it makes it seem like the human half is the more important half. By labelling the character as "Half-Elf Human" you seem to emphasize the human parts. It's like "Ok, play this human, only slightly elfier." Rather than "Play this scion of Human and Elven blood." In other words, it makes the half-elf's status as a half-elf seem like a footnote, and afterthought on the character. "Yeah, my guy is a human, who just happens to be half-elf."

Now, I'll admit, these are just my opinions. This is how the idea makes me feel. I'm responding to the idea mostly from a very emotional level. More logically minded people may find my complaints silly. But these are my complaints, and I'm sticking to them.
D&D Experience Level: Relatively new First Edition: 4th Known Editions: 4th, 3.5 --- Magic Experience Level: Fairly skilled First Expansion: 7th Edition Play Style: Very Casual
DontEatRawHagis, I think that's a pretty cool idea if the whole Human Race was overhauled.

Move +STAT out of the base traits of humans.  Add in some additional Human Subraces that wouldn't be half-breed.  It would have to be generic enough to have uses in most campaigns.  Things like Plainsman, Tribesman, Urbanite, etc.  The color up the half-races and pure humans with some interesting traits and features of their own.

At any rate, if done right, it could be an interesting take on humans.  Count me as a potential fan of it! 
DontEatRawHagis, I think that's a pretty cool idea if the whole Human Race was overhauled.

Move +STAT out of the base traits of humans.  Add in some additional Human Subraces that wouldn't be half-breed.  It would have to be generic enough to have uses in most campaigns.  Things like Plainsman, Tribesman, Urbanite, etc.  The color up the half-races and pure humans with some interesting traits and features of their own.

At any rate, if done right, it could be an interesting take on humans.  Count me as a potential fan of it! 

I like that, considering that humans are supposed to be the most maleable of the races and thus the most prone to all sorts of cultural variability.

In the end, I consider it to be that the longer a race lives, the more likely they are to have more dinstinct cultural-thus-physical differences.

Humans and their shorts lives mean it's much less likely that a single specific trait will be come dominant. Elves being the opposite, a peoples that lives in the hundreds of years and doesn't even reach cultural maturity until their hundreds, that means the average young ones have experienced 100+ years of cultural influence before branching out to the rest of the world, meaning that they're going to be far more likely to carry on the traditions and desires of those before them.

I like:

Half elf, Half Giant, Half orc, Half Human... It's perfect :P 
Half-Human

Half Human Half Human, the perfect combination of the most deadliest animal in the world :P

I'm glad people are liking this. The one thing I might suggest for people who want to get rid of the human Attribute bonus of +2 and +1 to all others, maybe try replacing that with the subrace's attribute bonus. Right now though the only thing that humans have going for them as a unique trait is that bonus. Well that and that their speed is 30ft, the Elves can be either 30 or 35, whereas Dwarves and Halflings are 25ft.

Here is my stat block for Half-Halflings which is a crazy half race I have never heard of, but since its the only other race in the Playtest right now, why not?

Half Halfling:

• Lucky: Twice Per Day, when you make an attack roll, check, or saving throw and get a result you dislike, you can reroll the die and use either result. If you have advantage or disadvantage on the roll, you reroll only one of the dice.

• Language: Common and Halfling

• Attribute Bonus: Dex +1

Design Philosophy:

This was just a fun little side project, since Halfling is the only other race currently statted out for DnD Next. The first thing to know about this half-halfling is that they still are Medium, losing halfling height advantage. If you average the human and halfling heights you get around 4ft which is the exact height of a dwarf, which are medium in these rules. As such Lucky was the only trait that did not tie into weapon training or their height. 

All in all I am happy with the result of this, though I do not think any one would want to play a Half-Halfling. Half-Halfling doesn't get any vision changes, though I think Lucky is a pretty good ability already that it doesn't matter.

Later I'm going to try my hand at Half-Orcs. Though the Battle Rager specialty makes the Orc Rage ability from the Beastiary obsolete for Player Characters.  
Ant Farm
Actually yeah, I am digging the idea of putting all the half-X races in as Human subraces.  There's the big human versatility we've been talking about, they could get a straight +1 to everything and then their floating +1 could come from subrace.
Actually yeah, I am digging the idea of putting all the half-X races in as Human subraces.  There's the big human versatility we've been talking about, they could get a straight +1 to everything and then their floating +1 could come from subrace.

Sounds like a plan.

Now the Half-Orcs, this one is going to be a bit more speculation on my part so take it with a grain of salt.

Half Orc 

Design Philosophy:

The basics were easy, but the racial ability was the hardest. Orc Rage was originally going to be the same as the one in the Bestiary. However, there is one problem, the new Battlerager specialty talked about in the Penny Arcade #4 podcast. It says that if you take a disadvantage on your attack you can do Max damage. I didn't want to copy the same ability so I decided to do some research and came up with a bunch of possible ideas for Orc Blood Rage. Some involved extra attacks, others involved adding damage on top of an attack, but they felt too much in the Fighter domain of abilities.

4e involved doing an extra die of damage(d8 if magic). In 3.5e Half-Orcs didn't really have anything I could tell except counting as Orcs for effects. Then I looked at the Halfling ability Lucky and thought, what about being able to reroll damage dice? Halflings can only reroll attack checks and skill checks, so why not allow Half-Orcs to reroll damage dice. Re-rolling all of them would be just too powerful in my mind, rerolling one though could change that measly 1 into a 12 if your lucky.

Conclusion:

Not my best work. Though I am proud at how it came out. 

Last on my list is the Half-Giant. 
Ant Farm
I actually DON'T like this, because I think there's more conceptual space for different subraces of Half-races, like Half-elves or Half-orcs.  On the other hand, if those subraces were rolled into more subrace options for Humans, I could get behind them (the two varieties of Tuathan from 4e is one of my thoughts – I STRONGLY feel they should be subraces of Half-elf, but I could see them as subraces of Human alongside at LEAST two other Half-elf subraces: Human-raised Half-elf and Elf-raised Half-elf). 

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Sounds like a plan.

Now the Half-Orcs, this one is going to be a bit more speculation on my part so take it with a grain of salt.

Half Orc 

Design Philosophy:

The basics were easy, but the racial ability was the hardest. Orc Rage was originally going to be the same as the one in the Bestiary. However, there is one problem, the new Battlerager specialty talked about in the Penny Arcade #4 podcast. It says that if you take a disadvantage on your attack you can do Max damage. I didn't want to copy the same ability so I decided to do some research and came up with a bunch of possible ideas for Orc Blood Rage. Some involved extra attacks, others involved adding damage on top of an attack, but they felt too much in the Fighter domain of abilities.

4e involved doing an extra die of damage(d8 if magic). In 3.5e Half-Orcs didn't really have anything I could tell except counting as Orcs for effects. Then I looked at the Halfling ability Lucky and thought, what about being able to reroll damage dice? Halflings can only reroll attack checks and skill checks, so why not allow Half-Orcs to reroll damage dice. Re-rolling all of them would be just too powerful in my mind, rerolling one though could change that measly 1 into a 12 if your lucky.

Conclusion:

Not my best work. Though I am proud at how it came out. 

Last on my list is the Half-Giant. 

I really like the Half-Orc design you have here. Especially the Orc Blood Rage ability. It definitely fits with the feel of the Orc/half-Orc.
However, I do not like, nor really get it in my head to accept, half races as subraces of Human. The half races are as much apart of D&D as the sword & board fighter stereotype and Tolkeinesque fluff the races usually get. Now, throw in some advice in on how to make crossbreed races and my sister-in-law could one day actually play her Dwelf character, (half-dwarf/half-elf).
 The human sub races should be kind of regional, (northerner, desert-dweller, European-esque). Not half-insert-race-here.
My 2cp in the hat, as it were. 

I love the idea of the plainsman, tribesman, urbanite thing. Could be expanded to work in many campaign settings, and each could grant a skill or a limited bonus on checks. Not only am I a human, I'm a human from the barbarous wastelands up north... or from the Free City of Greyhawk... or from a tropical island village, so I might have different attribute bonuses or skills.
Would not hate it if we never saw half-human races ever again.

Here lieth the horrible portal to that realm of folks who want to play half-minotaurs, or half-centaurs, or half-trolls--and apart from requiring the asking of some icky questions..."um, so you're mom was...um an ogre you say?" it just spirals the game into a weird world where setting and flavor be darned because some people just want to play Godzilla, but justify not having to act like a monster because he's only a half-Godzilla.

Now do I hate the idea of a half-elf? Well not entirely. I just don't think it adds anything to the game that you don't get by playing an elf or a human, other than sometimes being an outcast...or hot. But it does bring up weirdness. Are there Dwelfs (dwarf/elves)? How about Orfs (orc/elves)? If not, why not? If so, how do you make these things not dumb like all get out? Honestly I like the idea that if you want to play a character of mixed racial stock, you pick on dominant race and then play the other half as cosmetic.

And it preserves the game world, where going through town it doesn't look like Mos Eisley with fin headed monstrosities all over--the half-owlbear blacksmith chatting up the half-dragon baker girl. Gosh it would be great if things could make more sense than that this time around.

Though I do admit my favorite hybrid race was the tauric gnome-rustmonster: "ooh my what a fantabulous device...I simply must take a closer look at it. Oh it is so interesting and complex and...ugh...tasty!" *dink* "Nooo! Curse my horrid appetites!"
Now with 100% more Vorthos!
I love the idea of the plainsman, tribesman, urbanite thing. Could be expanded to work in many campaign settings, and each could grant a skill or a limited bonus on checks. Not only am I a human, I'm a human from the barbarous wastelands up north... or from the Free City of Greyhawk... or from a tropical island village, so I might have different attribute bonuses or skills.

You know, I do think a human subrace system that divided them between Civilized Folk and Barbarians would be very cool. You already have this distinction in just about every setting ever and it would be nice to brand it with the seal of officiality--plus it would balance out the races mechanically in a nice elegant way.
Are there Dwelfs (dwarf/elves)? How about Orfs (orc/elves)? If not, why not? If so, how do you make these things not dumb like all get out?

I went off the old lore hook from the Races and Classes book released before 4E came out.  In my campaign setting, a god named Hume created a race of highly adaptable and intelligent mortals to serve as foot soldiers during the Dawn War.  Hume was later killed in battle.  His troops were then divided among a few gods after the Dawn War was won.  Moradin took his into the earth and made them into the dwarves.  Corellon, Sehanine and Lolth took some and made their eladrin in the Feywild.  Gruumsh took his and created the orcs.  Asmodeus took his and created some of the lesser devils.  But a portion of those mortals were left alone, put on the world, and given the name Humans, after their fallen creator.  They were then blessed by the gods with fertility, and a pact was struck between all the gods that no one god could claim the humans in its portfolio.  They could claim individuals, but not the race as a whole.

No one currently living in my campaign setting knows the facts surrounding the creation of the mortal races.  They mostly believe the popular idea that elves usually came first, dwarves sprouted from the rock, and so on.  However, they do find it curious that humans can inter-breed so easily with so many other races.  The reason behind that is that humans are the base genetic stock of the world.  And, while dwarves and elves are too dissimilar now to mate, they are still similar enough to humans that mating is possible.

It also explains why, after being removed so long from the Feywild, eladrin became elves.  They became more like their original forms and lost some of the connection to the Feywild's magic.
How about this. Have a Half-human sub-race for every race (I'll use half-elf for this example). Give them a choice in what they want for attributes (+1 to any) and what might seem appropriate according to game lore. Maybe advantage on diplomacy checks for half-elves or what not. This represents half-Xs who where raised among the non-human race. Than have a race called Half-Men or what have you which has maybe a free bonus feat or something else humanesque and all the subraces are the same as the ones from the other races. so a Half Man Elf would get X, X and X from the half-man race and the Half-Elf would have the elven racial traits. Each would get advantage on diplomacy checks and a +1 to any stat they want.
Last one; I agree that there should be more sub-races than just half races, but hey at least its a fun thing to mess around with how modular the game has become.

Half Giant:

• Vision: Lowlight

• Giant's Strength: Twice Per Day, You may take advantage on a Strength Check. Even if you would have a disadvantage.

• Languages: Common and Giant

• Attribute Bonus: +1 Strength

Design Philosophy:
Normal attributes, Languages, and Vision were easy as before. Half-Giants are a weird character option. In 3.5e, Giants were immune to Dominate and Charm spells though the main stay of the Giant seemed be its size. Adding the ability for a Half-Giant to be considered one size category larger seems a bit over complicated for what 5e wants to do. The reason I chose advantage over re-roll was due to Halflings already having that ability, but for every roll. In the end, getting advantage seems to workout. 
Ant Farm

I wouldn't die if there was a half-race template for each race, yeah. You could have half-humans, half-elves, half-dwarves, half-orcs, or whatever else you wanted and could plug and play them with whatever other race you want to. Again, I don't really see how the game is any better with them--or at least how you need to have a different writeup for them rather than just make an elf or a human character and say they're half-elves or whatever.

I went off the old lore hook from the Races and Classes book released before 4E came out.  In my campaign setting, a god named Hume created a race of highly adaptable and intelligent mortals to serve as foot soldiers during the Dawn War.  Hume was later killed in battle.  His troops were then divided among a few gods after the Dawn War was won.  Moradin took his into the earth and made them into the dwarves.  Corellon, Sehanine and Lolth took some and made their eladrin in the Feywild.  Gruumsh took his and created the orcs.  Asmodeus took his and created some of the lesser devils.  But a portion of those mortals were left alone, put on the world, and given the name Humans, after their fallen creator.  They were then blessed by the gods with fertility, and a pact was struck between all the gods that no one god could claim the humans in its portfolio.  They could claim individuals, but not the race as a whole.

Loved the whole Races and Classes book. Really felt like a lot of those really great bold ideas never really made it into the books--which was a shame. That Hume thing is really cool. Having a god of humans--even a dead one, is a really awesome thing. I also really liked the half-orcs as Men of Kord--that they weren't actually one orc parent one human parent, but rather were Kord taking what to him were the noblest parts of both races and creating something new for himself. There really were a lot of fun ideas that came out of the 4e run.
Sign In to post comments