DM Screen: Improv-Tools not Math

Just a thought, I'd prefer with the direction Next is headed- 

Please make the DM screen have lots of improvisational resources.  The tables of various values have rarely been useful to me, especially ones that spanned huge level ranges thus I could only use 1 or 2 from the list at a time.

I'd much prefer things I can look at to help me respond to something unexpected than a number to estimate damage/accuracy etc.

I wouldn't mind some DCs if they maintain usefulness at all levels of play- but I don't like having numbers that become irrelevent- especially not if the adventures I might be running will have the numbers in them. 
Please collect and update the DND Next Community Wiki Page with your ideas and suggestions!
Take a look at my clarified ability scores And also my Houserules relevent to DNDNext
DCs just sort of inflate with character abilities. The target number on the d20 is going to stay reasonably consistent as the party levels up, although the fluff around the roll will obviously become more difficult, and you might occasionally throw in a challenge similar to one faced before so that the players can feel more powerful.

I'm for a DM screen that has more stuff for improv, like treasure charts, random encounters, random room ornaments and sounds... The Ruins of Undermountain boxed set had a set of cards with things like random traps, wandering monsters, random sounds and other descriptive text.

Obviously these things have limited utility, as if you have say, 20 examples of room ornament or sounds or whatever, after a while you're going to get the same thing twice. But I think it'd be more useful than rehashing all the rules tables from the core books. Infact if that's necessary, the rules are probably too complicated and I'm likely to gloss over the details of them.

But this is likely to be a product, and those are still a long way off.
Just don't put pretty pictures on it, I get distracted by pretty pictures...Embarassed
Give me a DM screen that includes a spot for up to 6 character summaries : i.e. stay blocks.

Let the whole thing be laminated and come with a dry erase marker.

Alternately have it be small blocks of info that you can interchange using various cards and clear sleaves on each panel to put them in.

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

Alternately have it be small blocks of info that you can interchange using various cards and clear sleaves on each panel to put them in.

!!!

Oh god, is this product on the market somewhere?

If not: how is it not on the market somewhere?

Valdark, why don't you go pitch that the Paizo's Game Mastery line?  If you don't want credit, I'll take it.  Wink
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)

!!!

Oh god, is this product on the market somewhere?

If not: how is it not on the market somewhere?

Valdark, why don't you go pitch that the Paizo's Game Mastery line?  If you don't want credit, I'll take it. 

This is something I have wante since my 2e DMing days.  

It always felt like no matter which screen I had something important was omitted and stuff I didn't need made the cut.

How would I go about doing that?   I am really not a pathfinder fan so I haven't followed Paizo.

I would love to see it produced for D&D specifically since it has always been my game of choice.  

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

I have no idea.  But if you could find someone willing to get that made - and as a quality product - it might be the only "DM Screen" that I've ever been interested in buying.
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
There are customizable DM screens:

Savage Worlds (totally customizable though, so its really systemless)

Hammerdog Games (same idea as the above, but 4 panels- landscape or portrait options)

Which would work well, if an official product had 2 sleeve slots- but other nice looking officialness I'd like that.  I prefer the landscape look- like the 4e screen- because it let me see over it to my players easier.
Please collect and update the DND Next Community Wiki Page with your ideas and suggestions!
Take a look at my clarified ability scores And also my Houserules relevent to DNDNext
Thanks, DA, I might pick one of those up (and I prefer the landscape as well).
Feedback Disclaimer
Sign In to post comments