2012 Players Championship

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is to discuss the 2012 Players Championship, coming to you from Seattle. This 16-player, three-day event begins Wednesday, August 29 and concludes Friday, August 31. The live video stream begins at 2:45 p.m. ET Wednesday -- visit the webcast page to find start times in your area.

Wednesday features three rounds of Cube Draft and three rounds of Modern.
Thursday features three rounds of Magic 2013 Booster Draft and three rounds of Modern.
Friday features the Top 4 playing Modern, all to determine the Player of the Year.

Featured Players:
Paulo Vitor Damo da Rosa
Reid Duke
Samuele Estratti
Jon Finkel
Alexander Hayne
Jun'ya Iyanaga
Martin Juza
Brian Kibler
Tzu-Ching Kuo
David Ochoa
Shuhei Nakamura
Luis Scott-Vargas
Owen Turtenwald
Josh Utter-Leyton
Yuuya Watanabe
Shouta Yasooka
Can people come spectate this event in person?
The video coverage keeps panning away from the player drafting and we can't see what they're picking.
This MAX _______ segment is excruciating. Although at least now I've learned that smokestack is MAX FUN.
Is there an intelligent reason why this event was made to be Wednesday - Friday?  Was it so that would-be fans who expect a weekend tournament would miss the first day or two?  If so, well done!  Though the scheduler really should share credit with everyone who decided not to promote the dates more heavily.  Until today's mothership headline saying day 1 is over, I had absolutely no idea.

If you're on MTGO check out the Free Events via PDCMagic and Gatherling.

Other games you should try:
DC Universe Online - action-based MMO.  Free to play.  Surprisingly well-designed combat and classes.

Planetside 2 - Free to play MMO-meets-FPS and the first shooter I've liked in ages.
Simunomics - Free-to-play economy simulation game.

I second what amarsir said. I also had no idea this started on wednesday until I saw the headline today. And I still do not see this as a world championship. This is a great way to end player of the year, it really is with a high level of play. But for me a world championship gathers the best players from every country in a big event, not by a 16 person hard cut. I think my biggest problem with this is that now all the players now each other fairly well and the amount of surprise is very low now. This takes away all the drama that should go with a WC. Here, anyone losing to one of the others is not a shock defeat, it's just another win/loss. If , lets say Jon Finkel, lost to the champion of Luxemburg , now that would be a shock defeat. There would also be a more varied field of decks, making it that more interesting. It just feels wrong that at a WC , with the enormous community magic has, only 16 players can attend.

Now this player of the year decider seems to be very interesting, nice combination of formats. It almost seems shocking to see PvD on 3-3 , but then you look at the player list and who are above him and you go like, okay, that seems reasonable. Gonna be interesting to see who is gonna be the best come friday.
I'm curious why they didn't just add 3 rounds and make it a full round-robin instead of doing this 12 round swiss.  As it stands, some players on 21 points (Finkel, Nakamura) had to play Yasooka twice, while Watanabe didn't even face him once.  

I'm curious why they didn't just add 3 rounds and make it a full round-robin instead of doing this 12 round swiss.  As it stands, some players on 21 points (Finkel, Nakamura) had to play Yasooka twice, while Watanabe didn't even face him once.  

I totally agree.  The old Invitationals were round robin so you played each player once (until the finals) and that seems much more fair

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
I'm listening to the Yasooka interview, and HATS OFF TO INTERPRETOR!
He had to be able to speak Japanese Magic AND English Magic!
Well done! 
Marshall Sutcliffe and Sheldon Menery - sweet analysis. Excellent announcers - very enjoyable to watch. Great job!