8/29/2012 UR: "The Shadows of Prahv, Part 1"

20 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's Uncharted Realms, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

IMAGE(http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/daily/ur/ur210_7_12h61ojzpp.jpg)

Happyface orb.

Strange how the story shifts from one scene to another with no obvious connection. 
Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.
I think the writing is good (Especially the second half with the Azorius guy; I like how the part about accepting the Orzhov bribe kinda cements his character), but I have to agree with the above poster; the shift between scenes is very odd. I hope we get some explanation in the second part. This didn't really feel like part 1 of a story with a cliffhanger or anything like that, it felt like a regular story was chopped in half.
Azorius are so evil, I hate them with passion.

(Also nice story, I can't wait to see Part 2)

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Boros half was pretty good though. The pov guy, Branko is honest and brave. The second guy, Gebris is a jerk. Sounds mono-red.

But wow, I'm shocked at how big a jerk she makes the Azorius guy. First he put that poor guy's request on the bottom of the stack for a spelling error (fitting for mono-blue possibly but not u/w)

Then the Orzhov guy violating 12 statutes but getting away with it because he's throwing out a large bribe? How is that representative of the Azorius style? Aren't they the guild of law? Even the worst of them should be above bribes and knowingly breaking their own laws. That sounds more like mono black.

Boros half was pretty good though. The pov guy, Branko is honest and brave. The second guy, Gebris is a jerk. Sounds mono-red.

But wow, I'm shocked at how big a jerk she makes the Azorius guy. First he put that poor guy's request on the bottom of the stack for a spelling error (fitting for mono-blue possibly but not u/w)

Then the Orzhov guy violating 12 statutes but getting away with it because he's throwing out a large bribe? How is that representative of the Azorius style? Aren't they the guild of law? Even the worst of them should be above bribes and knowingly breaking their own laws. That sounds more like mono black.

The whole point of the bribe is to show that while guilds may embody a concept, the actual members are still only human (or vedalken, or elves, or whatever else). Every character that isn't in some way an embodiment of pure mana is going to have human traits, and that includes at least some amount of selfishness. Now, it isn't enough to make every human black (unless they are consumed by their own selfishness), but it is still there.

Also, remember Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Ah darn that Gwafa Hazid. *shakes fist
I liked the 'beleive' bit. Relov is a grammer* nazi. You all know him.

*Compulsory spelling mistake to keep all the Relovs out there happy ;)

Ah, what would we do without your utter lack of comprehension of the colour pie?

I admit Gebris was perhaps mono-, but everyone else blended perfectly with , and .
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
I'm hoping part two reveals a bit more, but this felt rather...short and disconnected. 

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."

Ah, what would we do without your utter lack of comprehension of the colour pie?

I admit Gebris was perhaps mono-, but everyone else blended perfectly with , and .

I disagree. Gebris was very :R:/:W:. White hates anything that's against it, anything it sees as evil. White also has a superiority complex, believing itself better than everything less than it. Gebris acted in a "red" way, but with very white motivations.

You are aware that the Azorius are / and not /, right? That said, I beleive the Azorius break their own laws because they made them. They feel as if they are above the laws they create, so there is nothing wrong with bending them a little. Even in the case of taking bribes. White is the color that can get away with anything as long as the character beleives thay are doing it for the greater good.
I disagree. Gebris was very :R:/:W:. White hates anything that's against it, anything it sees as evil. White also has a superiority complex, believing itself better than everything less than it. Gebris acted in a "red" way, but with very white motivations.

Red can easily have superiority complexes too, especially when Gebris' disgust seemed to be based on "eww, these guys are gross!".

Gebris' actions do not seem to embody White much at all. He breaks the rules ("You'll be cited", and the scene where he forces them to transport the Golgari through the sunny area), and if there's anything White cares about most, it's the rules. Which is fine, because mono-Red members of the Boros exist.

You are aware that the Azorius are / and not /, right? That said, I beleive the Azorius break their own laws because they made them. They feel as if they are above the laws they create, so there is nothing wrong with bending them a little. Even in the case of taking bribes. White is the color that can get away with anything as long as the character beleives thay are doing it for the greater good.

Actually, it's pretty obvious in this case that the guy isn't taking the bribe for the greater good. People with greedy motivations can exist in white-blue organizations, just like highly emotional people can exist in white-green organizations.
No, I meant / being the orzhov. The azorius guy was defenitely /. Greed can be very as well, as Gwafa Hazid shows.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
I think it's kind of funny how everyone is arguing on the possible colors of the characters, especially from such a brief story. And every color has both good and evil, but fueled by different things (evil white had Konda, Lord of Eiganjo and good black has Toshirio Umezawa).

I can understand the way the story splits in two. She is kind of seperating it into chapters/POVs that you would commonly see in novels. But sadly, we will not probably not get any resemblance of novels for the new Ravnica block and thus these types of story tricks will just seem rushed.

Overall, I did like her writing quite a bit. It was very descriptive and I could envision both stories. Alas, the stories was too short for me to get any idea of where these stories were leading.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
I think we'll see the two seemingly-disjointed stories come to intersect in interesting ways next week.

My guess is that the prisoner that Relov was bribed to release was the Gorgon (the remaining living sister of the Sisters of Stone Death, two of which died in the original Ravnica story). And maybe Relov is also the one who ordered the Mass Arrest, which led to the circumstances that allowed for the prison riot which let the Gorgon escape.
I'd guess that this isn't the first time Relov has been bribed by the Orzhov. He didn't question for one second what that pink number meant, and seemed 100% confident that the money would be deposited if he did what was requested. Perhaps this is some grand-scale Orzhov scheme in which they have some use for the Gorgon (or just getting a MASSIVE favor from the Golgari).

So many possibilities, this is why I love Ravnica!
I think it's kind of funny how everyone is arguing on the possible colors of the characters, especially from such a brief story. And every color has both good and evil, but fueled by different things (evil white had Konda, Lord of Eiganjo and good black has Toshirio Umezawa).

Most sane people here know that can be evil and can be benevolent in a variety of ways. It's just that people like KnightOfSerra show up and start preaching colour stereotypes and bs like "white deserves to be a hero" or some hilarious insane statement like that.

I'm pretty sure Branko and Gebris are Azorius; the Golgari were arrested by Azorius and brought into an Azorius detention center. I also think this prisoner riot takes place years before the second half of the story with Arbiter Relov, as the synopsis of the article says that it's about a Boros officer (presumably Javy) investigating a murder connected to a Golgari riot years before.

My guess is that the prisoner that Relov was bribed to release was the Gorgon (the remaining living sister of the Sisters of Stone Death, two of which died in the original Ravnica story). And maybe Relov is also the one who ordered the Mass Arrest, which led to the circumstances that allowed for the prison riot which let the Gorgon escape.

It reads like Relov was bribed to allow an Orzhov enforcer to use some sort of imprisoning device, so I'm not sure where you're getting the opposite idea. Also, the story explicitly states Arbiter Zivan ordered the mass arrest.
I think the "believe" incident also has to do with the meaning of the word. Azorious is like court, believing in the occurence of events does not mean factually they took place. It's a mockery to base your argument on belief. That's not exaclty what the plantiff is doing, but I can imagine the word being disgusting as viewed by the Azorious.

I also imagine Azorious being non-religious in our world; and that could have an analogy for their own belief! They "know" that institutions are what create civilization, not leaders. Whether or not the institutions are enforced, the institutions are still utter truth to them (sort of like moral law we all follow and break). So putting your faith in someone above the law is blasphemous, and expressing "beliefs", your opinion, may very well be an insult contrasted with a society ordered by facts.
With all the speculation over the new Planeswalker, it looks like the gorgon from this story could be her. Her disappearance matches up, and the riot and her resulting injury provided a good opportunity for for her spark to ignite.
I still don't buy it, but there's art in the RTR trailer that people speculates looks like PW dimensions for art:

edit:

Actually, I'm putting my bet on it now, now that Mark has mentioned that the new female PWer appears in the trailer.