8/28/2012 RC: "You Didn't Need Those Lands Anyway"

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Gavin: Look, I love the article, but you forgot 2 things:

1: Most people aren't going to trade for $150 (made up the number) worth of cards when the deck is useless after Standard rotates in a few weeks.

2: How on EARTH could you not even mention Viridian Revel?

It would be appreciated if you would add a "If you can't afford this, here are some other options" section for the high-price cards. I am not willing to go find Snapcasters, Huntmasters, Tamiyos, Jaces, and Hellkites for my already constructed deck.

Apostle's Blessing in SB helps a lot vs. artifact hate.

My personal deck, which I recently 2-2'ed at a local MODERN tournament with. Also: LD is NOT the plan you want to go with, unless they land someting that you have to deal with (say, Moorland Haunt). If you've locked them out of the game, then LD works. Otherwise, ignore it.

2: How on EARTH could you not even mention Viridian Revel?

Gavin's avoiding cards that are good only with Liquimetal Coating. Revel does nothing without an active coating.
Yes, but he didn't even MENTION it. That's what gets me. I understand why he did it; I just happen to disagree.
Nikosison is spot on here. I didn't mean to avoid it - it was even in the original decklist. Revel just doesn't fit as well into a shell that is looking to have more plans than just Coating. It does have its uses, but I would rather opt for consistancy here. 

Hope that helps answer your question!

Yeah! I'm super excited that my submitted decklist made the honorable mentions! 

1: Most people aren't going to trade for $150 (made up the number) worth of cards when the deck is useless after Standard rotates in a few weeks.

It would be appreciated if you would add a "If you can't afford this, here are some other options" section for the high-price cards. I am not willing to go find Snapcasters, Huntmasters, Tamiyos, Jaces, and Hellkites for my already constructed deck.

Although i agree with you, it isnt BoaB.
My problem lies more in the fact that adding:
Huntmaster of the Fells
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
and Jace, Memory Adept
will make pretty much any RUG (ramp) deck better.

Although i agree with you, it isnt BoaB.
My problem lies more in the fact that adding:
Huntmaster of the Fells
Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
and Jace, Memory Adept
will make pretty much any RUG (ramp) deck better.

As for the price, none of the rares in this deck rotate with Scars block (except lands), so you can still get plenty of use out of them for the next year. Also, this is kind of the "best of the best" version of the deck, but you could still try something out with some cheaper substitutes to fill the same roles.

Personally, I'd like to add, say, two copies of Phyrexian Metamorph to this deck. (Yes, I realize they do rotate. Sorry.) Ideally, I'd use them at Liquimetal Coating #5-6, to increase the odds of having two active at once, but I could just as well use them to copy a Huntmaster or one of my opponent's fatties.

As for those specific big-ticket mythics, (a) that's more the fault of designers than of Gavin, (b) it might also be a problem if the reverse wasn't true, if there were no big, splashy, widely applicable cards at all, and (c) I wouldn't even count Jace, personally. There are lots of decks he doesn't go well in.
Before all the latest goodies came to play (M13, INN Block), I was playing a Glissa/Geth Artifact Destruction type of deck. What I don't understand is why this deck is stretched to 3 colors, when it seems that it would be more effective as RG. And what about Mimic Vat and Viridian Corrupter?

That being said, I've found, in general, that people hate Land Destruction Decks even more than they hate Permission Decks; let alone a destroy anything deck. I had more concessions playing my liquimetal deck than any other I've played.

/start rant

And I'll really miss Hex Parasite when Scars rotates out. It is the last remaining card that can deal with Planeswalkers directly. I hope WotC puts something into RtR block that can deal with them. Its become mostly about who can land a PW first, then load the board with chumps to protect it until it can Ultimate. Flavor-wise PWs detract from the spirit of the game; that is, a one-on-one duel between wizards [I can't beat you by myself, so I'll get a few of my buddies (PWs) to rescue my butt and take you out as a team....]

Now that I've gotten into that rant, Planeswalkers fail in the flavor/design aspect. None of them should have a +Loyalty ability. Anything a mage does expends energy to some extent. To gain energy, they should have either been spelled (heal-type spell) or have an upkeep phase mana cost (eg, tap UU to add +1 to JtMS). All abilities should have been 0 or -ve costs.
/end rant
Before all the latest goodies came to play (M13, INN Block), I was playing a Glissa/Geth Artifact Destruction type of deck. What I don't understand is why this deck is stretched to 3 colors, when it seems that it would be more effective as RG. And what about Mimic Vat and Viridian Corrupter?

That being said, I've found, in general, that people hate Land Destruction Decks even more than they hate Permission Decks; let alone a destroy anything deck. I had more concessions playing my liquimetal deck than any other I've played.

/start rant

And I'll really miss Hex Parasite when Scars rotates out. It is the last remaining card that can deal with Planeswalkers directly. I hope WotC puts something into RtR block that can deal with them. Its become mostly about who can land a PW first, then load the board with chumps to protect it until it can Ultimate. Flavor-wise PWs detract from the spirit of the game; that is, a one-on-one duel between wizards [I can't beat you by myself, so I'll get a few of my buddies (PWs) to rescue my butt and take you out as a team....]

Now that I've gotten into that rant, Planeswalkers fail in the flavor/design aspect. None of them should have a +Loyalty ability. Anything a mage does expends energy to some extent. To gain energy, they should have either been spelled (heal-type spell) or have an upkeep phase mana cost (eg, tap UU to add +1 to JtMS). All abilities should have been 0 or -ve costs.
/end rant

/start rant

/end rant

You do realize that any burn spell at all instantly kills a planeswalker? Also, flavor wise they make sense because I am a mighty enough wizards to have demanded oaths of fealty from these other, lesser mages who as part of that can be called to my side using mana.the plus abilities can be explained this way: if left to their own devices, this is what they would do. Thus, they get happier when their liege permits such actions to them. And your conception of standard is just wrong.
I'm a big fan of turning things into artifacts and then destroying them... I prefer Liquimetal Coating into a Splinter. Make their basic land (or any other card) an artifact and then search their library, hand and graveyard for all cards with the same name and exile them! Easy to make happen, and once it does it's pretty much over.
It would seem as though, if you want to maximize the chance of getting a Coating in this deck, you might choose to draw first and take a mulligan or two to see if you can't draw one up, especially if you're going with the modified strategy of adding card draw (so you're more likely to have a spell that turns Coating into LD every turn to negate your opponent's land drop).

Is using the mulligan tactically not considered an option? (I had a friend who dropped out of a pre-release back when it was still called 'Paris Mulligan' because he was convinced that exploiting the mulligan rule for awesome turn-1 grips would break the game.)

--
Pauper
Yes, mulliganing is possible. The trick is to aggressively mulligan for a coating. Occasionally, you will punt a game due to inconsistency. However, there is nothing as scary as a player who aggressively mulligans.
Wait, Gavin, you just figured this out?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
LiquiMetal coating decks can be pretty effective, and I played against one a few months ago.  I've played Magic on and off since Unlimited (more off than on), and it might have been the least fun I've had playing Magic.  There's a reason they don't print Stone Rain anymore.
I'm with DeEer. It's a little bit lazy just to suggest adding some of the best mythic rares in the format to make it more "consistent." How do I make this cool LD deck better? Why not just splash for white and add Geist of StG or Restoration Angel? Maybe a mana leak? That's kinda like LD. Can't you at least PRETEND to work with the deck concept?

And what's with the whole Let's Be An Entirely Different Deck in Games 2 and 3? Turning it into an entirely different deck seems counter to the point of Reconstructed. You did the same thing with the Exalted Deck and TOOK OUT ALL THE EXALTED CARDS.

What's the point?
Turning it into an entirely different deck seems counter to the point of Reconstructed. You did the same thing with the Exalted Deck and TOOK OUT ALL THE EXALTED CARDS. What's the point?

He didn't take out all the Exalted cards... he took the deck away from an EXALTED SMASH deck to an "exalted is a strong subtheme in this deck" deck...
The point of a transformational sideboard is to screw over the sideboarding of your opponent, and rogue combo/synergy decks can take advantage of that quite well.  Using this deck as an example, you play game 1 and they realize what you are up to.  Game 2, they bring in their sideboard artifact removal to take out your Liquimetal Coating, only to find that, this time, you're playing something else entirely and that artifact removal is pretty useless.  They now have dead cards in their hand for a good portion of the game. 

Considering that ReConstructed produces rogue decks, ignoring this possibility is as bad an idea as ignoring using good finishers.  You can still win, but you are more vulnerable.
Wait, Gavin, you just figured this out?

Heh, no. I tried this back when Scars first released! It just was the right week to write about it.

I'm with DeEer. It's a little bit lazy just to suggest adding some of the best mythic rares in the format to make it more "consistent." How do I make this cool LD deck better? Why not just splash for white and add Geist of StG or Restoration Angel? Maybe a mana leak? That's kinda like LD. Can't you at least PRETEND to work with the deck concept? And what's with the whole Let's Be An Entirely Different Deck in Games 2 and 3? Turning it into an entirely different deck seems counter to the point of Reconstructed. You did the same thing with the Exalted Deck and TOOK OUT ALL THE EXALTED CARDS. What's the point?

Those mythic rares could be other cards that try and fill similar holes. You could be playing Daybreak Rangers or Wolfir Avengers or something similar. However, those mythic rares are considered the best in the format for a reason. If I'm looking to make the deck less linear, I'm going to want to play cards that have raw power. I included a decklist in my article if all you're looking for is a deck that lives or dies by Liquimetal Coating.

As for transformational sideboards, I don't really see them as taking away from the deck's theme. In this case, you will remain as a Coating deck for many game twos and threes. However, since you're going to sideboard so infrequently, and beating hate is difficult, you want to be prepared. I believe this transformation to be a better plan for winning than using a bunch of Negates or similar, but if keeping the deck's feel is important to you then you could try a sideboard heavy with Negates and other anti-disruption spells instead.  

Hope that helps answer your question!