My Idea for a 'Wizard' Sorcerous Origin: The Weave

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I think that it would be smart for the people at WoTC to make a sorcerous origin that very closely mimics the wizard class, for people who want to be a wizard but want to use the Willpower casting system rather than a Vancian system. Basically a sorcerer that would leave people feeling more comfortable about scratching out the name 'Sorcerer' and replacing it with 'Wizard.' What follows is my idea of how that might work. I welcome feedback, critiques, and discussion.

Show
Sorcerous Origin: The Weave
   Magic is in your blood. It is more than just a tradition; it is a part of you. Maybe you were born in an area where the Weave is particularly strong. Perhaps the stars were aligned in just the right way to make you a conduit to the Weave. Perhaps one of your ancestor’s was an arch-mage, and his work left a permanent mark in your family line. Whatever the reason, you have an innate and powerful connection to magic.
   When your willpower is depleted and your heritage transforms you, you might become progressively more and more aloof and mysterious. Like the Weave that flows through you, you might become mysterious, mystical, or even frightening.

Hit Dice: 1d4 per sorcerer level

Hit Points: 4 + your Constitution modifier at 1st level, and 1d4 (or 3) + your Constitution modifier per sorcerer level gained.

Armor and Shield Proficiencies: None

Weapon Proficiencies: Daggers, slings, quarterstaffs, and light crossbows

Sorcerous Powers: The bonus to your magic attack rolls increase by 1. Also, your spell DC increases by 1. You also know one additional spell at first level. You gain access to higher level spells slightly faster than other sorcerers (follow the wizards spell level progression). Also unlike other sorcerers, you can learn any spell that a wizard could learn.
   At 1st level when you deal damage with a spell you can spend 1 additional willpower to maximize the damage done by that spell against 1 of the spells targets. You can spend more than 1 additional willpower with any given spell to maximize the damage against more than 1 target. Additionally, each day, after you have spent 3 willpower, your eyes start to glow faintly with inner light. Until you complete a long rest, you gain a +2 bonus to the damage rolls of your magic attacks.

Level 4: When you cast a spell you can spend 2 additional willpower to exclude any number of targets from the spell’s effects.
   Additionally, each day, after you have spent 10 willpower, the air around you begins to shimmer slightly. You have advantage to saving throws made against magical affects until you complete a long rest.

This preserves some mechanical difference between sorcerers and wizards, but I think it makes a much better 'wizard' than the draconic sorcerer. Thoughts?
I really like the idea of a sorcerer having an archmage in the family line.  Magic in the blood ;).

I'm visualizing the transformation as the sorcerer turning into pure arcane energy.  'Uncarnate' was the name given to a psionic equivalent (back in v3.5).
/\ Art
Seems like you are going in a good direction, one thing though... you realise when you use up those 3 or 10 willpower it means you are out of spells right? You couldn't benefit from the bonuses until you are one level higher than the maximum.

If I may I would alter it to

Forcebolt (Costs one Willpower) You cast a powerful missle to strike the target dealing 1d10 damage (maybe you could add a little something extra if you feel that this is a bit underpowered)

Shimmershield (Costs two Willpower) A shining ring of magic protects you giving you a +2 saving throw against all magic targeting you

(-3Willpower) Arcane Sight: Arcane magic shines through your eyes altering your vision, gain lowlight vision & you can now detect magic by sight

(-10Willpower) Arcane Aura: Your control over the weave cracks bleeding out into a magical aura around you. Enemies striking you in melee take disadvantage (This might be a bit overpowered but who knows)
Seeing as The Weave is a Forgotten Realms construct, I'd rather it use another name.  Arcanist, maybe.  But, yes, I'd like to see a more "wizardly" sorcerous heritage to please the ones who prefer the 3E sorcerer.
I'd really like the "fake wizard" Origin to be bland and generic.

Sorcerous Origin:  Arcane Heritage

Hit Dice:
1d4 per sorcerer level

Hit Points: 4 + your Constitution modifier at 1st level, and 1d4 (or 3) + your Constitution modifier per sorcerer level gained.

Armor and Shield Proficiencies: None

Weapon Proficiencies: Daggers, slings, quarterstaffs, and light crossbows

Sorcerous Powers:  Your number of
Spells Known is doubled.  Your maximum spell level is that of a sorcerer one level higher.

Level 1: You know three minor spells, chosen from the wizard’s spell list.  You gain training in a skill of your choice: Forbidden Lore, Magical Lore, Natural Lore, or Planar Lore. You must choose a skill in which you lack training.

@OP:  Thank you for fleshing out some thoughts on this idea.  I love the direction you are going!  IMO, this is a great way (perhaps one of multiple ways) to address the casting modes desired in different games/campaigns.  I would have little problem saying, "IMC wizards actually function like Arcane Heritage sorcerers."  Mileage varies, I know.

@Eldrith_Hawkflight:  Remember that the character would actually still have at-will powers.  So afaict the damage bonus would be further encouraging their reliance on spells rather than weapons even after their big guns have gone off.  Having said that, the ideas you present are great on flavor! 
@thewok: The name of the sorcerous origin is certainly welcome to be changed. I thought the Weave captured the idea, but yeah, it should be setting neutral.

@Qmark: I can see the benefit of a more generic version, I thought preserving some of the mechanics and flavor of the sorcerer would be good. I would like them to be able to coexist as well as working as a replacement, and if they are too similar that doesn't work as well.

@Eldritch_Hawkflight: As marius4 said, I was thinking at-will magic. After first level you would get a benefit to the rest of your spells as well, but I was mostly thinking of at-wills. As for the benefits that accumulate as you expend will-power... someone with a better mind for balance than I have would have to tackle those.
This is the wrong approach to solve the problem.

Rather than grafting the wizard fluff onto the sorcerer class, the better way is to add the sorcerer mechanics as a casting style option for the wizard class.

The two approaches seem similar at first glance - both give you a wizard-fluff sorcerer-casting arcanist - but one way requires the fluff to jump through lots of hoops, and the other way is a simple table that is plug-and-play.

They've already done the work in making this feasible, even.  A 1st level spell costs 1 willpower, and a 2nd level spell costs 2 willpower.  If you take the Wizard casting table, and add up all of the spell slots by the equivalent in willpower, you get a table that is identical to the Sorcerer's casting table.

This avoids bruteforcing the Wizard fluff to adhere to the sorcerous origin constraints, issues of setting-specificity, and the general flow and function of the class.

And what you get is what you wanted in the first place:  a wizard, but spontaneous casting.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
But I almost wonder if we should limit the number of spells known for the wizard as well. They gain spontinaity at a cost of less spells in the spellbook, or at least the less he can prepare in the morning.

Still has the spellbook, but picks from those spells to be used during the day. Still prep, but can cast those as much as he wants until out of spell points. The next day he can pick a new set.
@Mand: You may be right. If the good people at WoTC were able to completely divorce casting style (wizard-like, sorcerer-like, or warlock-like) from the rest of the mechanics of the class, it would be great to be able to pick the style you wanted. I'm not convinced that (a) they will do that, or (b) it would be possible (within reason) to make the classes 'balanced' if they did.

I think it is much more likely (and easy) to make a variant of each type that emulates, to a certain degree of acceptability, the other types. That is what I've tried to present here.

Again, I'm not sure that is the only (or best) solution, but I do think it is the most likely.

@Alynn: That is basically the way clerics use their spells in DDN. I think the unique positions of each casting class should be maintained as much as possible.
@Mand: You may be right. If the good people at WoTC were able to completely divorce casting style (wizard-like, sorcerer-like, or warlock-like) from the rest of the mechanics of the class, it would be great to be able to pick the style you wanted. I'm not convinced that (a) they will do that, or (b) it would be possible (within reason) to make the classes 'balanced' if they did. I think it is much more likely (and easy) to make a variant of each type that emulates, to a certain degree of acceptability, the other types. That is what I've tried to present here. Again, I'm not sure that is the only (or best) solution, but I do think it is the most likely.

I'm not clear why anyone thinks what you describe will be likely.

There is only one decision point that is uncertain, at this stage.  And that is whether we want to have an arcane caster with the Wizard fluff (bookish, int-based, lore skills, etc) with spontaneous casting.  If that decision is "yes" then there is a right way and a wrong way to do it.

I'm more concerned that people supporting the wrong approach will convince them to say no to the whole spontaneous-wizard thing entirely, which I think is a bad design choice.

And again, they've already gone most of the way there.  Do you really think they just guessed as far as the sorcerer's spell progression, and just through happenstance arrived at numbers that exactly match the wizard's spell progression through all five levels presented?

You say you want options for casting style when they ask for feedback, and you can raise the likelihood of them doing this.
I suppose the short answer that at Gen Con Mike Mearls basically said, "we have no plan to do that right now." He did add something like, "If there is overwhelming desire for it, we could probably work something out."

I'd like for the modularity you describe to be available, but I also like the idea of having similar (though mechanically distinct) options that would also fill the need.

My worry, expressed more clearly, is this: will the wizard 'traditions' work with spontaneous casting? Will sorcerous origins work with Vancian casting? Will either of those work with the encounter based casting that warlocks use? How much additional work would be required to make sure that all of those things interacted well together? Would it detract from any system individually if we had to make them all play well together?

If Mearls and his crew can make that all work, more power to them. If the can't, I would like to see something like what I proposed as a nice middle ground option. Actually, I might like to see something like what I proposed even if they can make that all work.
My worry, expressed more clearly, is this: will the wizard 'traditions' work with spontaneous casting? Will sorcerous origins work with Vancian casting? Will either of those work with the encounter based casting that warlocks use? How much additional work would be required to make sure that all of those things interacted well together? Would it detract from any system individually if we had to make them all play well together?

To use an example, the sorcerous powers can easily be converted into an nth-level spell based on their willpower point expenditure.  That allows them to be put in a spell-slot system.

So, yes, it can be done.  And this early, the cost to doing it is still relatively low, especially given the progress they've made toward that end already. 

I know what Mike said, but in the packet itself, there's far more that points toward casting style modules than points away from them.

So, provide your feedback.  Say what you want.  And encourage them to take this all the way.

(note:  Warlocks are still too different to map over at this point - until we see the "wizard encounter spells" that Mike said are coming, there's no way to know how easy that transition will be)
This is the wrong approach to solve the problem.

Rather than grafting the wizard fluff onto the sorcerer class, the better way is to add the sorcerer mechanics as a casting style option for the wizard class.

The two approaches seem similar at first glance - both give you a wizard-fluff sorcerer-casting arcanist - but one way requires the fluff to jump through lots of hoops, and the other way is a simple table that is plug-and-play.

They've already done the work in making this feasible, even.  A 1st level spell costs 1 willpower, and a 2nd level spell costs 2 willpower.  If you take the Wizard casting table, and add up all of the spell slots by the equivalent in willpower, you get a table that is identical to the Sorcerer's casting table.

This avoids bruteforcing the Wizard fluff to adhere to the sorcerous origin constraints, issues of setting-specificity, and the general flow and function of the class.

And what you get is what you wanted in the first place:  a wizard, but spontaneous casting.

+1 

The spell point conversion is already done for us:  www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/spellPo...

However,

An arcane source is interesting. I would consider the effect of losing willpower would have an effect like a magic void, anti-magic fields, or wild magic...that actually sounds cool.

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey