Wizard Hit Dice

Can we just give Wizards 1d6 HD?  It's not too much to ask for.

I can see a 1st level Wizard with 14 Con and 8 hp rather than 6 hp actually helping a lot.    Much less chance of one shots by shortbow arrows or other 1st level monster attacks. 

A Brave Knight of WTF - "Wielder of the Sword of Balance"

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

1d6 won't stop 1-shots from Goblin Archers unless you put a 14 CON prerequisite on qualifying for Wizard. Wink

I know this will probably go over like a lead balloon.... but... I kind of miss class prerequisites.  -duck-

Yeah, yeah, I know... still.. it made getting the stats for that Paladin a thing to be proud of. 
Can we just give Wizards 1d6 HD?  It's not too much to ask for.

I can see a 1st level Wizard with 14 Con and 8 hp rather than 6 hp actually helping a lot.    Much less chance of one shots by shortbow arrows or other 1st level monster attacks. 

Maybe your DM could houserule it, based on your playstyle?

I don't see any sort of problem with the d4. 
Nothing wrong with a d4.  Just bump HP in general.

Con Score + 1HD start and things are good. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Con Score only at start is even better.

Carl   

Carl   

Carl, I can live with that, but it would make the 12 or 14 Con wizard a lot more durable at 1st level.     Although, it may free the Wizard up to put more points into DEX, gaining AC.   Ok...I like it.

Carl +1. I'm looking forward to that rules set.
Our group also turned up its nose at a 4 HP wizard.  It's fine if they want to do that, but we're all going to keep starting at level 2 in that case.
Personally have no problem with 1d4+Con mod Wizard. Forces my players to be smart.
If they knock it up to 1d6+Con Mod I won't complain

I am happy with d4+con_mod, but would also make d6+mod, CON, or even CON+HD work.

I just prefer not to have 5E begin down the path of buffs to balance buffs then more buffs to balance the latest buffs.

The only thing I would ask with a HP buff is to knock down XP some to reflect the lesser challenge.  Boosting creature attacks, etc., would all just lead to the same problems again. 
I am happy with d4+con_mod, but would also make d6+mod, CON, or even CON+HD work.

I just prefer not to have 5E begin down the path of buffs to balance buffs then more buffs to balance the latest buffs.

The only thing I would ask with a HP buff is to knock down XP some to reflect the lesser challenge.  Boosting creature attacks, etc., would all just lead to the same problems again. 

#1 thing I DON'T want to see come to this edition is Balance Errata. There is nothing that can be done that will make everything completely balanced in print, it's a fact of life. But I don't want the 20 pages of balance errata. Just tweaking abilities to deal less damage and whatnot. Typos? Sure. Things that are ruled incorrectly, you bet. Those are fine. But practically rewriting the cleric because Wizards, the class and not the company, are upset because they deal more AoE damage than them, is completely unnecessary. 

Although I see no problem with d4+con for wizards, pathfinder bumped it and rogue up one die and everyone seems fine.

My two copper.
Or make them core options.

4e Style HP-Con Score+HD(Maxed)
3.x Style HP-Con Score+HD
Gritty Style HP-Con Score
I like hp.'s are just fine as is . No more bloat please.  Thank you. The life of an adventurer is dangerous and I like that h.p. reflect that fact as is. I don't need 16 hp. wizards to play one effectively. Frail bookish folks don't fare well in fights.
Similar to using hit dice for recovering hit points, you can put a "dial" in for starting hits points, depending on the grit you want at early levels to start with class HD + con, then dial it up toe 2 x HD + con, and maybe go as far at 3 x HD + con, then for the ones that prefer not to roll make the hit dice max. At least the thinking is consistent with how hit points are recovered.
Or make them core options.

4e Style HP-Con Score+HD(Maxed)
3.x Style HP-Con Score+HD
Gritty Style HP-Con Score

This. While the HP as/is are fine for some like Brightmantle,Orkbard  and others but for us playtest 2 hp are way too low for our kind of fun play. If we don't get an option for HP at first, we'll be forced to start at 3rd or houserule HP buffs and I'd rather not have to do either.
Here's something I posted in another thread...losing track. One moment I like giving more hit points, another moment I like keeping hit points low. After really struggling with the issue for a week here's my thought at the moment. 

The hit point issue is something that can be handled by each DM. I think the core has to keep the hit points low for PCs because it is always easier to add than take away. In addition, since the attack progression for monsters will be flatter than last edition, as the PCs gain in levels, monster attacks will not scale as wildly as in the past, so PCs will be safer, and they will be able to adventure more before taking the longer rest.

Also, with the advent of Combat Superiority, hit points should be kept lower because each fighter has the option, every round, to parry an attack that hits, and the protectors can parry an attack that hits an adjacent ally. In our playtest, this ability saved hit points very often.

DMs and players will have to adjust to lower PC hit points...WoTC will have to provide better monster estimates for xp/challenge level, and advice for running encounters. DMs should be wary of mobing PCs. Players should be encouraged to use ranged weapons and move to cover after attacking. Players should be encouraged to set up defensible positions to protect the softer targets. Players of fighters should roleplay in combat to try to draw enemy fire away from weaker targets.

I do think that monsters should hit more often because the fighters (AC 16 and above) weren't really challenged very much in my playtest. By adding +2 to all monsters, the monsters will hit 10% more, which may start to get through the heavily armored PCs. I actually re-rolled attacks in the 6 encounters that I playtested on Saturday, and with a +2 for monster to hit scores, I was able to damage the AC 17 fighter, and the AC 15 fighter 1 more time each over the course of 6 encounters. The rogue was also hit 1 time extra, and that knocked him to -2 hp, but he could be easily saved by the cleric, or another pc with a healing potion. With the extra +10% for monsters to hit, by the end of the 6 encounters, every PC had to use his healing hit die. The cleric had no more spells left, and he used his channel divinity power to heal, so he was out of that too. I like those results.

Carl   

I agree!
 But to further my point (which isnt wizard class based),  I really like the hit dice as a lvl comparision and and as a healing surge value. I am not so sure I like it as a median or roll when you lvl.

I am not so worried about the balance between players vs world but more of players vs players.
 The roll just seems subpar as a DM . You want to tune your adventures somewhat, not have a glasscannon or completly inferior HP player.
 Guess that I cant talk about the issue as experience more than that it can be annoying when u level up, and would impose myself with a house rule, something I would rather have in the core rules. 
I could get behind con score at start. It really helps wizards, and keeps fighters about the same.
My two copper.