Bant Allies help

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
OK, so, this is the extremely oversized decklist I have now. Now I just need some help slimming it down.

CREATURES: 38 (Ouch)

Umara Raptor x3
Turntimber Ranger x4
Harabaz Druid x4
Talus Paladin x3
Kazandu Blademaster x4
Hada Freeblade x4
Greypelt Hunter x4
Mothdust Changeling x4
Jwari Shapeshifter x4
Joraga Bard x4

SPELLS: 14

Xenograft x2
Intruder Alarm x1
Mana Leak x4
Join the Ranks x4
Time Warp x3 OR Temporal Mastery x3

LANDS: 28

Azorius Chancery x2
Glacial Fortress x2
Sunpetal Grove x2
Temple Garden x2
4 Forest
8 Island
8 Plains

Whew~! OK, what would you edit, cause that's seriously the part of deckbuilding I'm worst at.

Thanks in advance~!

EDIT: OK, I don't know what the hey is going on with the autocard, does anybody know how to fix this?
No idea on how to fix the autocard.  You can still see the cards if you hover over the first part.

Cuts are actually pretty easy.

Lands:
-2 Chancery (absolutely terrible)
-6 Island
-6 Plains
-3 Forest
+4x Misty Rainforest
+4x Arid Mesa
+2 Sunpetal Grove
+2 Glacial Fortress

Spells:  Everything (you're tapping out to play spells, you can't hold open Mana Leak)
+4 Swords to Plowshares

Creatures:
-4 Joraga Bard
-2 Turntimber Ranger (too expensive)

I will point out that this deck isn't going to survive in anything except the most casual Modern metagame.  It's too slow to combat Tron, Storm or Splinter Twin.  It doesn't have enough removal or disruption to deal with Affinity or Pod.  It doesn't have enough card advantage or removal resistant threats to beat Delver or Jund.
No idea on how to fix the autocard.  You can still see the cards if you hover over the first part.

Cuts are actually pretty easy.

Lands:
-2 Chancery (absolutely terrible)
-6 Island
-6 Plains
-3 Forest
+4x Misty Rainforest
+4x Arid Mesa
+2 Sunpetal Grove
+2 Glacial Fortress

Spells:  Everything (you're tapping out to play spells, you can't hold open Mana Leak)
+4 Swords to Plowshares

Creatures:
-4 Joraga Bard
-2 Turntimber Ranger (too expensive)

I will point out that this deck isn't going to survive in anything except the most casual Modern metagame.  It's too slow to combat Tron, Storm or Splinter Twin.  It doesn't have enough removal or disruption to deal with Affinity or Pod.  It doesn't have enough card advantage or removal resistant threats to beat Delver or Jund.

OK, I like this. Only problem is, and I should have mentioned this in the first post, this deck is built on something of a budget. Can you think of any acceptable substitutes to the Mesas and Rainforests? Also, I don't have Temple Garden, and I just looked up the price on those, any replacement suggestions?

I'm mostly building this one to be a strong, fun deck to play with friends, with the possibility of having some fun at tourney.

Thanks for the help~!

Unfortunately, there really are no replacements for the fetch lands and shock lands.  They're the best available fixing in Modern.

That said, if you really just want a casual deck, then you can use the M10 style dual lands (like Sunpetal Grove) as your fixing. It just won't be as consistent as the shock/fetch mana base.  I would not recommend taking a deck without the shock/fetch mana base to anything but the most casual of tournaments.

You might also want to check out the color balance on the lands, it's probably off with the cutting of most of the spells.  I think you're heavier G/W with my changes versus the heavy W/U as before.
Unfortunately, there really are no replacements for the fetch lands and shock lands.  They're the best available fixing in Modern.

That said, if you really just want a casual deck, then you can use the M10 style dual lands (like Sunpetal Grove) as your fixing. It just won't be as consistent as the shock/fetch mana base.  I would not recommend taking a deck without the shock/fetch mana base to anything but the most casual of tournaments.

You might also want to check out the color balance on the lands, it's probably off with the cutting of most of the spells.  I think you're heavier G/W with my changes versus the heavy W/U as before.

See, I'm kind of against cutting some of the spells, upon second thought. For example, the original idea was to power out Xenograft with the Druid, then use her to power out a Ranger for an infinite ally loop. Join the Ranks helps because it triggers all my allies at once, twice.

That said, what I'm really looking for is something at least a little tournament worthy, as well as completely uncalled for in Casual. My friends play a lot of Reanimator and such, so I need something vicious to deal with that.

Also, why Arid Mesa? I don't need Red, is there not a UW one of those?

Thanks again~!

See, I'm kind of against cutting some of the spells, upon second thought. For example, the original idea was to power out Xenograft with the Druid, then use her to power out a Ranger for an infinite ally loop. Join the Ranks helps because it triggers all my allies at once, twice.

That said, what I'm really looking for is something at least a little tournament worthy, as well as completely uncalled for in Casual. My friends play a lot of Reanimator and such, so I need something vicious to deal with that.

Thanks again~!

There isn't a UW version of Arid Mesa in Modern, and the UW version itself is at least $40-50 each.

Photobucket

Thanks again~!

There isn't a UW version of Arid Mesa in Modern, and the UW version itself is at least $40-50 each.

Well, crap. Would I perhaps have a more powerful deck in Legacy? Assuming, of course, that I could afford all these awesome lands, which I'll simply have to start saving for?
All of the "enemy" color fetch lands are in Modern, as all of the "allied" color fetch lands were printed in Onslaught.  Believe me when I tell you that if the U/W fetch was legal in Modern, I would have recommended it.

This would be completely unplayable in Legacy, even if you had the money to spend on the mana base (which would be another $800 for all the ABUR duals you'd use on top of the fetch lands).  You're too slow to beat the combo decks, have too little removal/disruption to beat the aggro decks and rely too much on having your threats stick around to beat the control decks.

You need to cut the spells.  They're really not that important since you're just overwhelming the opponent with guys.  The alternative would be to cut the guys to keep the spells, in which case you probably wouldn't have enough creatures to finish out the game.  Plus, beside Xenograft, the other spell are terrible.0
All of the "enemy" color fetch lands are in Modern, as all of the "allied" color fetch lands were printed in Onslaught.  Believe me when I tell you that if the U/W fetch was legal in Modern, I would have recommended it.

This would be completely unplayable in Legacy, even if you had the money to spend on the mana base (which would be another $800 for all the ABUR duals you'd use on top of the fetch lands).  You're too slow to beat the combo decks, have too little removal/disruption to beat the aggro decks and rely too much on having your threats stick around to beat the control decks.

You need to cut the spells.  They're really not that important since you're just overwhelming the opponent with guys.  The alternative would be to cut the guys to keep the spells, in which case you probably wouldn't have enough creatures to finish out the game.  Plus, beside Xenograft, the other spell are terrible.0

So, maybe run a couple Xeno, and cut the rest? I think there's an Ally that lets me draw, I could use that to sort of draw into Xeno and combo to death.

Is there anything, spells-wise, besides Sword to Plowshares I should get?

Thanks for the consistent responses, this thread has always just died in the past.

So, maybe run a couple Xeno, and cut the rest? I think there's an Ally that lets me draw, I could use that to sort of draw into Xeno and combo to death.

Is there anything, spells-wise, besides Sword to Plowshares I should get?

Thanks for the consistent responses, this thread has always just died in the past.

And thus does it die once more, I assume?

Bumping just in case it simply dropped off the front page.
Sign In to post comments