D414: BotB: From the Attic of ... well, some guy with a very nice sword to sell, apparently.

60 posts / 0 new
Last post
Obligatory Link

Written by CO's own Herid_Fel, we have a nice set of common armour, a couple of fun little toys and one very nice, if very expensive, sword.

So, which one of you berks is shelling out the coin for a new chiv?
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Warforged lose their (very minor) competitive advantage in having Mithral Plating, and Versatile Armor is completely obsoleted. And man, that sword. It's more or less straight upgrade for many classes (frostcheesing rogues, for starters), and even worth keeping in your offhand just to have a variable resistance on demand.
And man, that sword. It's more or less straight upgrade for many classes (frostcheesing rogues, for starters), and even worth keeping in your offhand just to have a variable resistance on demand.

To be fair, there's a small amount of DM fiat built into it (DM chooses what damage types you can choose from) and it only works on untyped weapon attacks (so arcane classes are SOL). 

That said, the resistance part is awesome, and it works whether you want frostcheese, Mark of Storm tricks or radiant shenanigans. Quite an absurd weapon, if you think about it.

EDIT:

D414: BotB: From the Attic of ... well, some guy with a very nice sword to sell, apparently.

It's a girl. Didn't you read the whole article?  
The sword opens new options like weapon burst/blast with Resounding Thunder (for example Bull's Strength Augment 2) and You can now add more elements to some powers without overriding all the keywords. For example You can add 2 elements to all attacks (with untyped damage) with the Malec-Keth Janissary PP.

I think items like this are wellcome to CharOP
Sapphire - Swormage Dragon Guardian - Dont touch my allies build. Swordmage / Sigil Carver / Draconic incarnation The Holy Slayer - A Striker - Defender Fighter | Cleric / Barbarian - Paragon of Victory WEREBEAR BATTLEMIND: You wont go where you want. - A Battlemind (Druid) / Unbound Nomad / Topaz Crusader
That's an AWESOME sword! Especially for Thunder! I'm going to make a Thunder Warlock, now!

The armor is rather handy, too, at a low level of enchantment.

The Modron Toy isn't just a handy little getaway key, it's a VERY nice summon. It makes at least one miss an Encounter hit, probably more than once. It's also a decent defender aide.

All I want now is a Karach Blade. 

So many cool referances all over the article!
Yes, I love the Planescape:Torment references in the article. Now everyone can have their own personal Morte!
Urgh, DM-dependent items... (Goes on minor rant about how he can't use that item in LFR).

Hmm, there is a question whether my paladin would prefer that armour over dwarven. He is an elf (yes, he was build a /long/ time ago) so speed 7 would be kinda cool. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Urgh, DM-dependent items... (Goes on minor rant about how he can't use that item in LFR).

Sure it can be used, you will just have to wait for someone to put it in an adventure (where they will of course pre-select the energy types and the more rules-wise people will try to ensure thunder is NOT amongst them).

I understand the frustration, but this way its a cool item with a lot of theory-op potential that, for a change, will not have everyone and their mother/brother/uncle/sister swapping their weapons in LFR on the spot. I think that is a win.

And planescape is awesome as always...

To DME, or not to DME: that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous powergaming, Or to take arms against a sea of Munchkins, And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;No more;
I'm sorry but how is this useful for a warlock? It only changes untyped damage.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

I meant a SM|Warlock/Bard (Voice of Thunder) with Eldritch Strike.
Seems pretty good for a monk.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I think it's actually useless for them:
All untyped damage dealt by weapon attacks using this weapon changes to the chosen type

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

So you gain...2 damage? Congrats.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />EDIT:

It's a girl. Didn't you read the whole article?  

Evidently not. I never did get into Planescape though, so the lore was largely lost on me.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine

I was going for the extra Close Burst attack every round, but sure, +2 damage is never bad, too.

Sure it can be used, you will just have to wait for someone to put it in an adventure (where they will of course pre-select the energy types and the more rules-wise people will try to ensure thunder is NOT amongst them).

Wow, it's like every time you post something about balance, it's exactly the opposite of what actually should happen. Do you hate fun? Are you secretly Mearls? Wink

Anything that isn't an upgrade to Frost/Fire/Radiant should be welcomed, not rejected.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
All untyped damage dealt by weapon attacks using this weapon changes to the chosen type

Missed the weapon attack part.  But monks have non-typed bursts.

Hmm...  Ardent and battlemind have a bunch of "weapon burst" powers.
Swordmage,  the most "weapon burst" enounters powers.  Though i imagine they are mostly typed.
Barbarians, warden, and fighter have arn't to far behind.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Warden's best one, lure, is typed.
That armor is awesome. I have a knight in heroic, wearing versatile plate, I'll gladly take the upgrade when available. It's cheaper, and a common item to boot.

The weapon is a slighlty cheaper flaming weapon for tieflings, and a slightly cheaper lightning weapon for Mark of Storm users.

Just a note to LFR players, the wording on Spellsoul Blade "DM chooses" unfortunately seems to make it illegal in LFR, unless gained by a specific story reward.
What kind of weapon enchantment is this Spellsoul Blade? Heavy blades? That would be quite appealing for my Ardent.
It's a Heavy Blade or Light Blade. Tiefling fire users are still probably going to want to use a Weapon of Summer, or do their damnest to figure out a way to swing a Firewind Blade. Mark of Storm users, yes, but not the implement users. I see this as most relevant to frost cheesers...and dragonborn chainbreathers.

I was going for the extra Close Burst attack every round, but sure, +2 damage is never bad, too.

So how does this item help you at all?
It's a Heavy Blade or Light Blade. Tiefling fire users are still probably going to want to use a Weapon of Summer, or do their damnest to figure out a way to swing a Firewind Blade. Mark of Storm users, yes, but not the implement users. I see this as most relevant to frost cheesers...and dragonborn chainbreathers.

Dragonborn breathers already had rod of the dragonborn.
I'm thinking you use this as an easy way to pick a moderate resistance to the element you're breathing so you can keep nuking yourself.

Wow, it's like every time you post something about balance, it's exactly the opposite of what actually should happen. Do you hate fun? Are you secretly Mearls?

Anything that isn't an upgrade to Frost/Fire/Radiant should be welcomed, not rejected.

Honestly? I never post about balance. Balance is both subjective and a myth. Fun is also subjective, but luckily no myth. Oh and Mike Mearls and I disagree on quite a few things concerning D&D (and agree on a lot as well). But I do know he can be a lot of fun.

Other than that it is all just different preferences, well minus the certainty of being right on my side of course..... but I can cope with that  And should I get the option and I remember, I will try to have it included as a treasure, with free energy choice and all. Because, bottom line, its a cool piece of gear.
To DME, or not to DME: that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous powergaming, Or to take arms against a sea of Munchkins, And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;No more;
but Dragonsorcs already have that.
Right now, it looks like the fighter gains the most.  Grab resounding thunder + mark of storms (+ rushing cleats + polearm momentum) and enjoy your new burst size.

Would Reaching Whirlwind stack with resounding thunder?  (Thicket of Blades want's to know).

guides
Power
my builds

Missed the weapon attack part.  But monks have non-typed bursts.

Hmm...  Ardent and battlemind have a bunch of "weapon burst" powers.
Swordmage,  the most "weapon burst" enounters powers.  Though i imagine they are mostly typed.
Barbarians, warden, and fighter have arn't to far behind.

Swordmages have very few weapon burst/blast powers, actually.  Sword burst, to use the classic at-will, is implement not weapon.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
They have about ten weapon burst powers, three of which have untyped damage, and one weapon blast power that is typed.
Thicket of Blades becomes a close burst 2.

Do I win?
Guess who also has untyped weapon burst powers Seekers.

Upon closer inspection, the Seeker has only 3 powers that a)can be converted to thunder with this weapon (Ensnaring Shot and Fading Grotto are ranged despite creating zones in a burst, Fey Sinkhole and Wave of Sleep don't deal damage, Spider Thicket is typed) and b)are ever worth taking over powers of the same level, even if enlarged via spellsoul+resounding thunder. So, not really useful- one of those powers is Tidal Shot, but spellsoul precludes polearm momentum or flail expertise anyways. 
Stealthy Seeker support!

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Stealthy Seeker support!

Just kidding, see edit.
Stealthy Seeker support!

Just kidding, see edit.

Its like WoTC tried to make sure they could never optimize for control.
How does it preclude polearm momentum? I have not seen the item, but what prevents you from putting it on a glaive?
How does it preclude polearm momentum? I have not seen the item, but what prevents you from putting it on a glaive?

Nothing.  Glaives are in.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
It is just that you can't throw a glaive without the right enchant and it would preclude using the new enchant.
Correct. A Seeker can't throw a Spellsoul Glaive and can't add thunder with a Farbond Spellglaive.
what's the sword do?
It's like Frost Weapon but with a choice from 3 damage types determined at creation.
A seeker could benefit if using that darksun throwable double heavy blade, whichever one that is.

[Edit] Nevermind, that combination weapon does not exist. 
Sign In to post comments