[RTR-ICD] Dreg Mangler

94 posts / 0 new
Last post

Dreg Mangler

Creature -- Plant Zombie (U)
Haste
Scavenge (, Exile this card from your graveyard: Put a number of +1/+1 counters equal to this card's power on target creature. Scavenge only as a sorcery.)
3/3 
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Goodness, Golgari is getting serious value from their creatures. Also, you get a promo one of these for buying that holiday giftbox.
I'm getting Jund flashbacks for some reason. 
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
I always like a 3 mana 3 power creature with haste
The mechanic? not so much....
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
vaaaaaaaaaaaalue.

3/3 haste for three is just as solid as creatures get...but it will die.

and then you give your next guy a Blessings of Nature and go. to. town.
Venom, is that you?

Card seems decent.
Anyone else think that scavenge cost=cmc+2 is how scavenge is going to go down?
Lovely art. Meh mechanic. I am also not a proponent of this having haste. I feel like it doesn't fit flavorfully. "Super fast Plant Zomibe?" I feel like they were just like: "Aw, this isn't going to please our customer base. Let's give it haste. Everybody loves haste." If anything, it should have Regenerate or some sort of -----Walk. Maybe Deathtouch. All of those fit better with the flavor.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
This guy and the lich lord just helped Golgari get the upper hand for me on picking them my first go 'round.  Who cares about the keyword?  It's a 3/3 for freakin' 3.  Then later, when your hand is empty, you can cast a spell to give a creature +3/+3 for 5.  Flashback returns, kind of.

Card advantage, pure and simple.
Hop on the value train. I love this mechanic. Also, so scary. I can just imagine walking down the street and having this thing jump out of the shadows and eat you alive.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000) Check out Ars Arcanum, my stat based series on Magic Limited, over at PureMTGO. Here is a link to the archive: http://goo.gl/Zvh6Q
Lovely art. Meh mechanic. I am also not a proponent of this having haste. I feel like it doesn't fit flavorfully. "Super fast Plant Zomibe?" I feel like they were just like: "Aw, this isn't going to please our customer base. Let's give it haste. Everybody loves haste." If anything, it should have Regenerate or some sort of -----Walk. Maybe Deathtouch. All of those fit better with the flavor.

I dig it myself, he looks like one of those freak zombies that can be fast.
I think scavenge can be pretty neat.  This is a very efficient card, too.  A 3/3 with haste for 3 is not shabby.  Scavenge lets it be always relevent.
this is a very good card, and i imagine it will be a very high pick in draft.
Loving scavenge. Also wanting Green/Black zombies to go tribal with these and ghoultree.
I've been looking for a solid G/B 3 drop that works with the graveyard...thanks WotC!  The way the ability is worded makes me wonder if there will be a card that alters the p/t of creatures in the graveyard.    
I've been looking for a solid G/B 3 drop that works with the graveyard...thanks WotC!  The way the ability is worded makes me wonder if there will be a card that alters the p/t of creatures in the graveyard.    

I doubt it, it's just that scavenge is a uniform keyword, and as such they won't change the rules text case-by-case
I'm not really that fond of this mechanic. It just makes a bunch of cards in your graveyard do the same exact thing. Counters, counters, and more counters!
This guy seems kinda really incredible to me.  Looking forward to what else Golgari will throw down for G/B zombies.  With cards like Gravecrawler and Diregraf Ghoul.  Whew.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Meh obv good in limited but boring.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

This is a 3/3 with haste for 3, I don't see the problem. It also makes any creature usable when it dies, despite the scavenge cost. I'd use this if it had 5 more power
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
Power creep.
Power creep.

On a (probably) Limited-only card?
Are you going to post this in every thread?
The only creature with the same rarity and mana cost as this card is Ebony Treefolk, which is not strictly worse than this card, so there's no evidence of power creep. (Even ignoring rarity, the only other choice is Shambling Shell, which is also not strictly worse and was printed during a time of damage on the stack)
A 3/3 for 3 with 2 plus sides is too powerful for me. :I
Well you could argue that the mana cost is a (little) downside, this card is no game changer of any kind imho.

I would never pay cc5 for +3/+3 myself, but let's see if Golgari gets some interesting ramping mechanic to afford its otherwise incredible expensive guild mechanic.
Something like mana per creature in graveyard. (dredge would literally dig that, too)
I find it kinda funny that the more playable cretures with haste are Green and not Red. (And no Thundermaw Hellkite doesn't count because its awful design)

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
A plant zombie? Awesome! It has haste? Double Awesome!

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

I find it kinda funny that the more playable cretures with haste are Green and not Red. (And no Thundermaw Hellkite doesn't count because its awful design)

How is Hellkite awful design exactly? I hate dragons, but love Hellkite. It is actually unique, the same can't be said about a lot of dragons.

How is Hellkite awful design exactly? I hate dragons, but love Hellkite. It is actually unique, the same can't be said about a lot of dragons.

I feel like this is the 872793846345704th time I'm saying this, but to reiterate:
1. It is undercosted with the excuse of being Mythic Rare just to make it playable. Seriously, it's a 5/5 hasty flyer for 5 WITH a massive upside.
2. Its ability basically reads "we didnt want this to be owned by Lingering Souls or Moorland Haunt tokens so we gave it this".

I don't see what's unique about it.. want an unique Dragon? Try Archwing Dragon.

192884403 wrote:
a 5/5 hasty flyer for 5 is ok, Rorix Bladewing says hello

and the 1/1 flying token army needed an answer, it fits perfectly on a dragon with its own thunderstorm
proud member of the 2011 community team

I feel like this is the 872793846345704th time I'm saying this, but to reiterate:
1. It is undercosted with the excuse of being Mythic Rare just to make it playable. Seriously, it's a 5/5 hasty flyer for 5 WITH a massive upside.
2. Its ability basically reads "we didnt want this to be owned by Lingering Souls or Moorland Haunt tokens so we gave it this".

I don't see what's unique about it.. want an unique Dragon? Try Archwing Dragon.

It is not undercosted. It is a friggin' aggressive red five drop, it's really hard to make such a thing undercosted. Whoa, you did five damage on turn five bro? I have no clue how I'll recover from that one! Lava Axe is such a scary spell! Sorry, but I'll be over here winning the game while you play your durdly dragons that die to a single Doom Blade.

And I'm sorry a Falter effect on a dragon isn't cool enough for you! Maybe this should have firebreathing, cost eight mana, and not have haste or flash! Those are the dragons I like!

And oh no. Wizards printing answers for Standard that are balanced in their own respect and also in the context of the meta!? Terrible!

It is not undercosted. It is a friggin' aggressive red five drop, it's really hard to make such a thing undercosted. Whoa, you did five damage on turn five bro? I have no clue how I'll recover from that one! Lava Axe is such a scary spell! Sorry, but I'll be over here winning the game while you play your durdly dragons that die to a single Doom Blade.

And I'm sorry a Falter effect on a dragon isn't cool enough for you! Maybe this should have firebreathing, cost eight mana, and not have haste or flash! Those are the dragons I like!

And oh no. Wizards printing answers for Standard that are balanced in their own respect and also in the context of the meta!? Terrible!

not being a bad design =/= any of the nonsense you're saying

192884403 wrote:

I'm sorry!!! I must have misread your post! I was almost positive the points in your post were addressing the things that made it bad design!

Please forgive my awful parsing of the English language! Thank you. :-)

No problem, everyone makes mistakes!

192884403 wrote:
Thanks for being so understanding!
This is a pretty cool card. Awesome artwork and a great body for that cost.

I dunno how relevant the Scavenge is but its nice to see that it can used even in the grave.
It's nice to see a G/B creature with haste. They've been talking about non-red haste for a while now, but it seems like they're just starting to actually print it.
It's nice to see a G/B creature with haste. They've been talking about non-red haste for a while now, but it seems like they're just starting to actually print it.

There's a few green creatures and even a few black creatures with haste... Strangleroot Geist

Good card is good even if we don't like the mechanic. 
Scavenge is great.  You're getting a solid body for the cost already, and then you can pump your other guys without having to take up a second slot in your deck?

This guy basically says that when he dies, draw a card.  That card is a Sorcery that you can cast for 5 and gives 3 +1/+1 counters to one of your dudes.  And it doesn't take up one of your card slots.

These are all good things to have on what is already a playable dude even if he didn't have Scavenge.
Scavenge is great.  You're getting a solid body for the cost already, and then you can pump your other guys without having to take up a second slot in your deck?

This guy basically says that when he dies, draw a card.  That card is a Sorcery that you can cast for 5 and gives 3 +1/+1 counters to one of your dudes.  And it doesn't take up one of your card slots.

These are all good things to have on what is already a playable dude even if he didn't have Scavenge.

It's not that its a bad mechanic just that it is blande. Some people drool over it, others dispise it.
A 3/3 for 3 with 2 plus sides is too powerful for me. :I

The balance is acceptable.  Boggart Ram-Gang exists, and could be slotted into two monocolour decks, and easy to play in R/G decks.  This locks you into G/B decks, and isn't even necessarily better (Ram-Gang gets you better tempo, this gets you better long-game potential).

I dunno, I mean, do you consider Woolly Thoctar too powerful?  Because that's pretty parallel (multicolour with green in it--tends to mean big/big creature).

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Ram gang is power creep too. Wolly thoctar is perfect because its a tri color vanilla, and its cute.
Sign In to post comments